Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Spilt Milk

Murtaugh delves deep into the psyche of a former navy seal who is wanted for criminal activity, and draws parallels between him and his partner, Riggs, who also served in the military. Riggs' connection to the suspect threatens to interfere with the case, but it also forces him to open up to Murtaugh.

The show continues to be all kinds of fun.  The cast is meshing well.  Still not sure what to make of Cruz.  Not sure where the show is going with him.  Still think most of the cast is fun.

Loved when Riggs called for backup and Captain said to "Send EVERYONE".  

Loved the scenes with Murtaugh and his family.  Loved the scene at the office with "Denzel".  Those scenes are always awesome.

Another great moment was the jumping through window scene.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I'm a big kid. I had to watch The Great Pumpkin, so I only saw the last half hour. I'm going to wait 'til my season pass posts the episode for a true opinion, but it looked like it was a good episode focusing more on Riggs' past.

But I did love the end, drinking the beers on the roof.

And, as usual, I liked Trish and Roger. Speaking of which, about time we know Rhianne exists here, too, with the preview! (I know, seen and not heard in the pilot, but still!)

Just sucks that we have to wait two weeks for the next episode. Sigh!

Nice touch that Brooks was looking for Riggs to personally apologize. 

Also nice touch that as soon as he hears that *Riggs* called for back-up he said to send everybody under the sun to Riggs and Roger's location. 

Roger telling Riggs to relay to Trish that his final wishes were that she not remarry and die alone had me howling.

And Trish know she's wrong for not having a big enough picture frame to properly show Roger. He's creeping in just enough on the side. Roger should cement a full wall portrait of himself that sits over Trish's desk to loom over her that Desmond sees every time he walks in. Heh.

This is such a fun show. Glad it's got good ratings and a full season. Seems a lock for S2 as well.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 3

I'm kinda bummed out, my tv service cut-out the last 20 minutes of the show, ending on Roger being caught on the tripwire, ironically enough.  I thought the show was pulling a fast one with the blackout screen when I realized it was just Fox that was out.  I am looking forward to watching the end of the show.

The beginning was great. I'm all about finding out more about Riggs beyond his wife passing away.

Well that last stunt jumping into the pool had a bit of the crazy / unbelievable that I don't like.  I have to believe these things. Also, people in the pool during an evacuation? Nice.  

I did like the first episode where Riggs gets a taste of his own medicine. That was funny. It is all fun and games to be the crazy guy until you find an even crazier guy.  I like Roger funny and it makes the show that much better. 

Dr. Cahill, better integration... and it did seem at the start they were having a status report on Riggs which I was glad to see. I like her helping them out as part of the team.   Still love the captain asking Where is riggs as sort of a running joke. 

I still don't like Spanish guy. Not sure what they are doing with him and HOW did he not get in trouble for going into the store when Riggs was trying to talk to the guy?  I really like Bailey but I feel like her character is getting the short shriff for this gang guy who has been shoved into the show and seems to be taking half her role. 

Edited by BooBear
  • Love 5

I thought it was a good episode, but I worry that they are too quickly chipping away at Riggs' veneer by introducing someone who is even crazier than he is, and it was a military person, and it was someone who, at heart, was right. He is like (pardon the sorta pun) a Riggs on steroids.

Then by having Roger peeling away Riggs' layers (which is understandable given that they are partners) what will that leave? I knew that keeping the main character unpredictable and slightly mad (i.e., Mel from the movies) would be difficult as the season wore on, but that facade seems to be slipping quicker than I would have thought.

I just hope this doesn't become another police procedural. (Look at Gibbs on NCIS - military, sniper, murdered wife.)(Booth on Bones - military, sniper, now with FBI.) And several others. So, what sets this show -- and specifically, Riggs -- apart?  Sure, we have the blooming bromance of Riggs and Roger, but we've seen that on all the other detective shows. Sure, we have Roger's family, but, again, we've seen it all before.

No, for me, the thing that made this show different (albeit only slightly) was the craziness of Riggs. The "will he, won't he"? But, like I said, I'm already starting to see that fade away.

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Well that last stunt jumping into the pool had a bit of the crazy / unbelievable that I don't like.  I have to believe these things. Also, people in the pool during an evacuation? Nice.  

I did like the first episode where Riggs gets a taste of his own medicine. That was funny. It is all fun and games to be the crazy guy until you find an even crazier guy.  I like Roger funny and it makes the show that much better. 

Dr. Cahill, better integration... and it did seem at the start they were having a status report on Riggs which I was glad to see. I like her helping them out as part of the team.   Still love the captain asking Where is riggs as sort of a running joke. 

I still don't like Spanish guy. Not sure what they are doing with him and HOW did he not get in trouble for going into the store when Riggs was trying to talk to the guy?  I really like Bailey but I feel like her character is getting the short shriff for this gang guy who has been shoved into the show and seems to be taking half her role. 

I feel like people need to let go of the aversion to ridiculous stunts to watch this show. This is lethal weapon. Riggs and Murtaugh took a header out of a hotel room into a pool in part 2. They jump off roof tops, have to run out of two buildings set with bombs in one movie with no bomb squad help. Got into a shootout with a guy dressed like iron man with a flamethrower. That's what this series is. The ridiculous action, Riggs pain. Roger's great home life and the bond between Roger and Riggs is literally the only things that resemble the movies at all. It's almost lethal weapon in name only but the action is one of the few things the show matches with the movie series.

• Love 9

I enjoy the show well enough, but there is an improvement that needs to be made:  Riggs needs to die already!  I can't take this moping about on the edge of the roof of a tall building, playing chicken with locomotives, games of Russian roulette with only one empty chamber in the revolver, lighting his cigarette with a stick of dynamite, etc, etc, ya-awn!  Just kill yerself, ferfuksake, so we don't have to suffer through the repeated My-wife-died-and-I-don't-care-if-I-do-too moments!

And why is it that Hollywood believes snipers operate at a range of 25 feet?

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

That's what this series is. The ridiculous action, Riggs pain. Roger's great home life and the bond between Roger and Riggs is literally the only things that resemble the movies at all. It's almost lethal weapon in name only but the action is one of the few things the show matches with the movie series.

Nope there is ridiculous action and there is fairy tale action.  It takes me out of the show to see something like that. 

32 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I enjoy the show well enough, but there is an improvement that needs to be made:  Riggs needs to die already!  

HA! But no. It might be good to have him get injured. But he also should stop with the walking on building ledges and just revert to passive aggressively suicidal. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BooBear said:

Well that last stunt jumping into the pool had a bit of the crazy / unbelievable that I don't like.  I have to believe these things. 

Same here.  I can usually hand-wave stuff, but that part was just too much.  For one thing, the pool was small and oddly shaped; it wasn't like a massive circular/rectangular pool where Riggs and Murtaugh had a better chance of landing in it.  Jumping from a great height, one of them could have easily crashed onto the deck instead.  Especially since Riggs had to pivot his body mid-air to shoot at the bomb.

Otherwise, good episode.  But I missed something: who actually killed Dr. Cox?  Was it someone at Gaius Corp?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Otherwise, good episode.  But I missed something: who actually killed Dr. Cox?  Was it someone at Gaius Corp?

I thought they said the body guard of the woman at Gaius Corp.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BooBear said:

I thought they said the body guard of the woman at Gaius Corp.

Yep, in an offhand  "Now that all the crazy is done, we better tie this case up." sort of way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Nope there is ridiculous action and there is fairy tale action.  It takes me out of the show to see something like that. 

HA! But no. It might be good to have him get injured. But he also should stop with the walking on building ledges and just revert to passive aggressively suicidal. 

My point is, that's what you sign up for with this stuff. It's lethal weapon. The action has always been ridiculous in the series and it's not something they seem keen on stopping so it's something you have to go with if you want to watch the show. In four movies alone you had

Both guys fall out of multi story window into a pool

Riggs fall off of a broken highway road on a motorcycle, hang on by some strings, fall through multilayer of plywood and not die.

Escape a bomb placed on a toilet. 

It goes on and on. It's a ridiculous action series turned tv series. Both happen to have a lot of heart dialed into the series but it's always ridiculous.

• Love 8

Yeah, with a show like Lethal Weapon,, and especially being based on the same-named movie franchise, throw all sense of reality out the window.

I understand it may be hard for some who, say, have never seen the films. But the action stuff with barely a scratch matches the films. (Although there were injuries to be had in those films. Yet it never seemed to slow anyone down!)

Consider this an '80s throwback type of police show. Fits, since that's the era when the original movie came out (1987 - 30 years next year, yikes!).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I enjoy the show well enough, but there is an improvement that needs to be made:  Riggs needs to die already!  I can't take this moping about on the edge of the roof of a tall building, playing chicken with locomotives, games of Russian roulette with only one empty chamber in the revolver, lighting his cigarette with a stick of dynamite, etc, etc, ya-awn!  Just kill yerself, ferfuksake, so we don't have to suffer through the repeated My-wife-died-and-I-don't-care-if-I-do-too moments!

I'm with you.  All this sad-sack stuff has already worn thin.  And I hate that therapy thing going on with the female.  She's just in the show so they can show some T & A every now then and eventually have her for a love interest for Riggs once he gets over his suicidal tendency.  Then we'll have to go through a whole season of him feeling bad for feeling love again.  Sheesh!  This show is so predictable.   She adds absolutely nothing to the progression.  I only watch it because I like the action scenes.  They're pretty darn cool even if totally outlandish.

I'm starting to wonder if the reactions to the over-the-top action scenes might have something to do with a viewer's age. Those of us who remember the movies and grew up with 80s tv shows might feel  more tolerant about those stunts. Not that there are no ridiculous stunts to be seen in current tv but most of those take place in the various comic/super hero shows whilst classic police procedurals are trying to create at least a good imitation of realistic action.

That said - I enjoyed the episode. For once I thought they made good use of Dr. Cahill. The scene between her and Riggs when he talks about the HALO jumps was the first time I thought they were not making fun of the idea that therapy could work for him - and that was later reinforced by Riggs recommending Dr. Cahill to Alt-Riggs. Movie Riggs would never ever have done that.

Not sure what to make of the B-team so to speak. The writing there is very uneven. Last episode Sonya was behaving extremely territorial and antagonistic - this episode she tried to get him to open up clearly intrigued by the remark about fire by his inmate buddy. It's also not helping that they share no scenes with Riggs and Murtaugh - and Cruz should have gotten reprimanded for the stunt he pulled at the supermarket.

I'm glad the show is doing well in the ratings.

• Love 5

Yeah, one bonus the movies had was that basically by the time the first movie ended, the pilot of this series ended. He was let in the home and it was clear he was family now. After that, he's  basically a nutty action guy. But, he's no longer suicidal. They even give him new fuel for angst in part 2 because he had progressed between movies. But, with this show, we literally have to watch all of his progression to acceptance and non suicidal behavior. It's too much to take. 

In the movies he still had a hard time moving on romantically but the acting out behavior fell to the side. Let's just get there already.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Then Jackson- being a mile away - would need to leave a radio headset for Riggs...

I watch a lot of action movies so the the jumping out of the building thing didn't bother me at all.  I thought it was a cool stunt and it made sense storywuse.  Murtaugh thought he lost a step after his heart attack and chasing his crazy ass partner didn't help matter.  What did was doing something even more crazy ass.  

I liked the jump, although I was also skeptical that that pool would save them. It looked too shallow.

I watched the movies when I was a teenager - I guess the first one came out when I was twelve - and I loved them, but haven't watched them for years. I'm going to have to find them again - I think they were added to Amazon in the last month.

I'm okay with Riggs still being the sort of suicidal "sad-sack", but I've been that way (minus the standing on high bridges and other things). I'm still that way a lot of the time, and am dealing with my biggest loss so far. He isn't a sad-sack all the time, but still has the anger, and the feelings that he's carrying around with him, including the love for his wife. I think it's realistic, for the most part. 

• Love 8

The action scenes don't bother me in the least. Are they realistic? No. But I watch because it's fun and I love the characters. Then again, I'm also a huge fan of the Fast and Furious franchise and their action sequences are not believable in the least. Again, I watch for the characters and the themes of love, family, sacrifice, etc.

• Love 3

I loved the jump out the window because it was Roger who did it. I don't think he's lost a step, I think he might have gained one being Rigg's partner. 

I don't mind how Riggs is acting, personally I think a lot of people can relate, myself included, and for some people it takes some time to heal. Maybe not the crazy stunts but the anger, saddness, and irrational reactions I totally can relate to. 

I can't even imagine what Riggs is going to be like on the anniversary of her death. If I was Roger, I'd have that date locked down in my memory.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 6

Anger, grieving, etc, is one thing.  Even the rum-binges, etcetera.  But the constant dicing with death is so immature, and is getting really old.   What?  Does he think nobody else has ever suffered loss?  It's getting really boring!  And dragging down an otherwise amusing show!

4 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Anger, grieving, etc, is one thing.  Even the rum-binges, etcetera.  But the constant dicing with death is so immature, and is getting really old.   What?  Does he think nobody else has ever suffered loss?  It's getting really boring!  And dragging down an otherwise amusing show!

Agree to disagree.  :-)  Others have suffered loss, of course, but this was a huge part of Riggs' character, which did carry on throughout the franchise even in the background (even talking to his late wife at her grave in the final movie), so I'm not surprised to still see it linger here. As I said, I doubt we'll see this part of him be toned down until the season finale.

• Love 8

We're 5 episodes in - in show-time I guess a couple of months. There are no rules for how long people grieve and deal with such a loss but for me Riggs is still allowed to grieve and grieve in a crazy even self-destructive manner because that what makes his character and to watch him turn the energy behind his craziness into something more positive offers intriguing possibilities.

I also think there are signs he's a tad more stable but turning him already into Mr Over-It would be rushed. He might never get over it but to a place where he can cope better. Getting him to that better place is something that has to be carefully paced and I think the show's doing a good job so far. And of course there's always the possibility that's not a smooth and even road and there will be setbacks - that would be more realistic.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5

I'm not bothered by Riggs' behavior at all.  He's entertaining.  I've watched a lot of police dramas and taking away his craziness just makes the show more generic.  Plus, a lot of the funnier lines said by other people ("send EVERYONE") are because Riggs has those suicidal tendencies and everyone knows it.

I have to say I was rather bothered by the jump into the pool though.  I'm fairly certain they wouldn't survive a jump from that height into a pool.  Never mind how deep it is, the impact on the water could be enough to kill them.  Still I keep reminding myself that I'm watching this for fun, it's not a documentary, so I need to let it go.

• Love 6
On 10/21/2016 at 8:34 AM, Anela said:

I liked the jump, although I was also skeptical that that pool would save them. It looked too shallow.

I doubt no matter how deep the pool would have made a difference. It looked like  a fall from that height onto your back would kill you or at least stun you long enough to drown you.. But that's okay I already knew we had cartoon violence from the previous episodes.

On 10/19/2016 at 6:12 PM, Chaos Theory said:

The show continues to be all kinds of fun.  The cast is meshing well.  Still not sure what to make of Cruz.  Not sure where the show is going with him.  Still think most of the cast is fun.

Loved when Riggs called for backup and Captain said to "Send EVERYONE".  

I can speculate that Detective Cruz will have some juvenile gangster experience to rival the SEALs combat experiences.

I missed the Captain, did he channel Gary Oldman in The Professional

• Love 1

I appreciate the handwavium required for this entire series -- as we all know, a high velocity impact with water isn't a "soft" landing regardless of the depth of that water and Roger could have just as easily (if not more easily) thrown the bomb vest and had Riggs shoot it from inside the building (even if he threw it upwards, the bomb vest, Roger, and Riggs were all falling at the same speed (GRAVITY!!) so they wouldn't "outrun" the blast that way)... oh my God, logistically the absurdity is off the charts -- but it's all good fun.

• Love 2
On 10/21/2016 at 8:34 AM, Anela said:

Mythbusters covered that - busting a myth from Burn Notice, which had similarly fun but disbelief-suspending stunts. You can jump in the pool, but the BN trick of throwing a mattress down first will actually make it worse :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Mythbusters covered that - busting a myth from Burn Notice, which had similarly fun but disbelief-suspending stunts. You can jump in the pool, but the BN trick of throwing a mattress down first will actually make it worse :)

I'm guessing you mean like Wump! Ow!  Do you recall how many stories above the water surface would work, and whether a certain depth of water is required so the jumper doesn't hit the bottom?

If Riggs was over everything he lost in what amounts to five episodes i wouldn't find it realistic at all.  I am actually enjoying the kind of crazy this version brings.  He can't outright kill himself so he does crazy things like walk on the ledge of a tall building.   I do like how each episode deals with his angst without getting overtaken by it.  Having Riggs meet a Vet who is crazier then him got him to talk to Murtaugh  a little more about his stuff. 

I am a big fan of action movies so my suspension  of disbelief is well defined.  Hell my favorite series is Fast and Furious and that one has cars that fly through the air....because why the hell not?  It also has Jordana  Brewster so I am cool with her.  She got put in a bad position when Paul Walker died so she needed something to do so I am glad she found work.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:27 PM, nemesis said:

I have to say I was rather bothered by the jump into the pool though.  I'm fairly certain they wouldn't survive a jump from that height into a pool.  Never mind how deep it is, the impact on the water could be enough to kill them.  Still I keep reminding myself that I'm watching this for fun, it's not a documentary, so I need to let it go.

Scorpion

Spoiler

had a guy fall from space without a parachute into an ocean and saved him by having a submarine detonate a missile to make the ocean bubbly to "catch" him. 

This did not bother me by comparison. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3