Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Surf Riding & Turf Fighting

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The contestants compete in a surf and turf protein relay for the chance to win a day of surfing at the Wavehouse in San Diego. Meanwhile, the losing team must make sausages from scratch. Later, the pressure is on during dinner service when a VIP 12-top are among the night's guests.

Ok, so the "men's" delicate feelings were hurt last week when Jessica was doing a little trash talking after the women won (really minor stuff BTW). In their TH's the guys were all, "there's no need to rub it in" & acted as if what she said was despicable enough to justify bullying her and making her cry. Now she's gone, and it's a new day.  The men win and proceed to rub it in before going off to strategize which of the "bitches" they will mark for elimination and make cry next. 

None of their shit-tastic behavior surprises me.  These idiots are ignorant, uneducated, uninformed bully braggarts and were specifically cast on this show for those very reasons. And as if to confirm my suspicion that this crop o'crap-testants has an average IQ in low double digit territory,they keep showing that one knuckle dragger with his dip-filled lip. Knowing the kitchen staff smokes cigarettes is stomach turning enough. Now I have to be worried about where and how close to my food order this disgusting pig keeps his spit cup? 

• Love 14
Spoiler

I called it.  Quite frankly, it was deserved. She was a train wreck and should never have survived the cut finger incident.

But I do want to say:  Has anyone else noticed the pattern, that whatever team wins the reward, they lose the service. I know it is not an "always thing" but it does happen quite often.

Spoiler

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I couldn't believe the attitude of the men: Let's make some girl cry.

It wasn't all of the men.  It was just Johnny and Andrew.

I absolutely hate Johnny.  He is a braggart, a bully, a jerk, a tool, and an out-and-out douchebag.  First, he makes Jessica cry last week.  Then, he tries to make Kimberly cry this week.  With no success, thankfully.  I want him gone ASAP.  As he's one of the stronger chefs on the men's team, though, he's unfortunately in it for the long haul, I bet.  If he keeps up his bullying, then I think we've found our villain for the season.

Andrew is also a douchebag, but at least he's a redeemable douchebag.  The other men are ganging up on Aaron unfairly, and I do like that he calls out the bullshit of it.  I appreciate that he is at least one person on Aaron's side.

The women really are the stronger, more unified team.  The only real weak link was Gia, and now that she's been handled, dinner services from this point forward should be a breeze for them.  (If there are any other weak links waiting in the wings, they might be Kimberly and quite possibly Wendy.  But Ryan, Heather, Shaina, Aziza, and Heidi all seem solid and strong.)

As for our latest evictee, I won't miss Gia at all.  I don't necessarily think that she was a bad person, but she certainly had a bad attitude.  Not to mention she was scatterbrained in the kitchen, gave up far too easily, and was just an overall drag on the team.  Last week's feigned cut should have eliminated her, and she is damn lucky that Jessica wimped out and thus kept her around.  But this week, in spite of the women winning, I can absolutely see how Ramsay was finally tired of her.  That display when she was called out in dinner service was pathetic and frankly just the ammo he needed to eliminate her.  Also, I didn't see anything indicating the editing was setting up Koop or Aaron for the chop.  Gia was the right one to go, and I'm so glad she did.  She was just plain useless.  Goodbye, Gia.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 7

The men are idiots. Rat face, Splinter. Really? And the douche that was calling the girl that was supposed to be 29? I'd expect that behavior from a 12 year old. Ugh. So much hatred. Also, if anyone looks like Splinter....

• Love 4

Gia's fate was sealed the minute Ramsay called her out on her cruddy garnishes and she threw up her hands as if to say "Yeah, whatever." Ramsay has never put up with backtalk or disrespect (nor should he, in his kitchen) and that was it for Gia; if the problem was only the other women disliking her, he could have swapped her out with someone on the men's team.

IMHO, his anger at the men not finishing their service was partly because he wanted the women's team to lose so he could just toss her and be done. But Koop and Aaron were contrite and both show promise, so he said "F it" and kicked her ass to the curb anyway.

• Love 6

But Gia had already LIED to Gordon.  She first said she cut OFF her finger.  Then everyone freaked out, called for a Medic, and she said Oh I only cut my finger, here I'll squeeze it a little to get some blood!  WTF?

He has kicked someone before for flat-out lying to him, and the yeah, whatever thing was the last straw.

• Love 4

I would honestly love it if Gordon calls everyone together to start the next episode and admits that he made a mistake by not sending Gia home when she lied to him.  The out walks THE OTHER GIRL! whose name I can't remember. Shocking!  

But it really was unfair that she got sent home for packing up her stuff.  I really didn't think she had given up but Gordon allowed Gia to manipulate him once again.  

• Love 4

The disgusting bully behaviours of these so-called "men" proves how weak and insignificant they are. "Let's see who we can make cry" is below grade school behaviour and should frankly have them on the street. I hope that they are both fired from whatever their jobs are now. They are no better than the gross Frank that was publicly shamed into a public apology for similar anti-female behaviour. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JenMcSnark said:

I would honestly love it if Gordon calls everyone together to start the next episode and admits that he made a mistake by not sending Gia home when she lied to him.  The out walks THE OTHER GIRL! whose name I can't remember. Shocking!  

But it really was unfair that she got sent home for packing up her stuff.  I really didn't think she had given up but Gordon allowed Gia to manipulate him once again.  

She would have gone home eventually anyway.  She may not have deserved to go home over Gia, but there'd be no point in bringing her back only to send her home again in a few more weeks. 

As teams go, the blue team seems fairly typical for this show, however, the red team has had some impressive services so far, and most of them seem more than competent.  I wonder how the casting department let that happen?  

• Love 4

My only exposure to back of house is what I see on TV or movies, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't large restaurants operate brigade kitchens, requiring the cooking staff to work together?  Whatever the reward is (head chef, sous chef, line chef) at Gordon's restaurant, the winner will not be replacing Gordon and must play well with others.

I presume they cast these jerks just to maintain interest in the competition and make us feel gratified when they get kicked to the curb.

Talkin' bout you, Gia. I don't know how you'd hold a job in a two-person food truck. (No offence to food trucks, but can you imagine working in a confined space with that nasty attitude?)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

She would have gone home eventually anyway.  She may not have deserved to go home over Gia, but there'd be no point in bringing her back only to send her home again in a few more weeks. 

As teams go, the blue team seems fairly typical for this show, however, the red team has had some impressive services so far, and most of them seem more than competent.  I wonder how the casting department let that happen?  

Meh, I think she's better than at least 3 of the guys, so I think it would be fair to bring her back.  But my comment was more about Gordon being manipulated by Gia and probably being unwilling to admit that he made the wrong decision. 

• Love 3

I'm done. I barely paid attention and just can't stand all the bleeping and everything else.  I love Gordon, but I can't take it anymore.  I realized why I stopped watching this clusterfuck five seasons back. I'm not sure what possessed me to start again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm done. I barely paid attention and just can't stand all the bleeping and everything else.  I love Gordon, but I can't take it anymore.  I realized why I stopped watching this clusterfuck five seasons back. I'm not sure what possessed me to start again.

Wouldn't that be "cluster(BLEEP)"?  ;-)

• Love 4

I'm glad Gia got it despite being on the winning team.  She would have gone home last week except Jessica decided to nominate herself and pack her bags, I'm surprised she didn't tell Gordon to save himself the trouble and just go home on her own.  But Gia was a disaster, Gordon knew that and he got rid of her when she deserved it.

Haven't figured out yet who I'm rooting for.  I'm not sure I'll find that person this year.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Me, too.  For me there is no one even likeable this season.

I think Heidi, Ryan, Heather, Shaina, and Aziza are plenty likable on the women's team.  I also don't mind Kimberly and Wendy.  So I'm basically okay with the whole team.  The men's team is trickier, but I like Aaron and Devin.  Koop is okay when he doesn't speak a lot.  I liked Paulie until his arrogant "I won.  Per usch" last week when he won the Face-Off between himself and Jessica and Gia.  When Andrew is defending Aaron, I like him.  But I pretty much hate him any other time.  Matt had a quiet week this week, but I still don't like him for not going home over Pat in week one and then nearly giving up in week three.  And of course, I've already mentioned Johnny.  Without rehashing everything I said, he's easily the worst of the men.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1

I told my wife before the end segment that the men would be spared and Gia was a goner. It was so blatantly obvious.

I agree with the others about the disgusting chewing tobacco and spit cup. That is one of the most disgusting habits and is even more disgusting when done by a chef, even if it is not in the kitchen. I can't help but think he is drooling that crap into the food he is preparing. He might be a great cook, he might be a great guy. But I look at him and am tottally grossed out, and would never set foot in a restaurant he works in because of that disgusting chaw. 

The men exhibited such juvenile behavior towards the women that I'm surprised nobody yelled out to beware of cooties. Seriously, I am far from a PC new age guy, but their comments regarding the women show an amazing lack of maturity and ability to work alongside with, or underneath women, in a kitchen. Gordon should have addressed that behavior, as it refects on his varied businesses if he is shown encouraging or allowing it.

Gia was an incompetent amateur, who filled the foul mouthed, nasty ghetto girl character slot for this season.  I think they wanted her to stick around a few more episodes for the drama effect, but she really forced their hand. I am surprised she didn't play the race card upon being shown the door. Although she probably did and it  was editd out.

They really scraped the bottom of the celeb barrel this week. Who the hell is Pooch Hall? And Gordons warning about being careful what the serve pregnant women was a bit of dramatic hyperbole. It's not like a salty risotto would induce  a miscarriage in the restaurant. 

Still way to soon to pick potential finalists, I still can't even remember half of their names.

• Love 2

I still can't even remember half of their names

Same here, in fact last week I watched the stupid CGI intro just to connect names with faces. As a result I noticed that in the intro they spelled Heidi's name as "Hiedi". I rewound it to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Good QC guys. (It was spelled correctly this week.)

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 1

I think it's Andrew.

ETA:  Ramsey HATES smoking, especially for chefs.  How "funny" would it be if he picked up Andrew's spit cup off of a kitchen countertop and responds to it?

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I think it's Andrew.

ETA:  Ramsey HATES smoking, especially for chefs.  How "funny" would it be if he picked up Andrew's spit cup off of a kitchen countertop and responds to it?

Oh My GOD.  Does he really leave his spit cup on the counter??  *shudders*

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Which guy is chewing tobacco?  I just haven't noticed and I want to know who is even more disgusting than I've thought he is.

The spit cup slob is the big husky guy, Andrew.

He strikes me as the kind of guy you find in a rural bar, wearng his flannel plaid shirt, and cooking up some venison that he poached out of season. 

9 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Oh My GOD.  Does he really leave his spit cup on the counter??  *shudders*

It appears he keeps the disgusting spit cup in the shared living quarters so far. Something tells me that place smells worse than an Alabama landfill in mid July, with all their smoking and sweat.

• Love 4

I don't know if Andrew has put his spit cup on a countertop yet, but my experience with dippers is that they become very complacent, and a lot of them don't care where they keep their cup.  

For the record - my father-in-law died after having surgery that removed his chin and the right side of his face due to cancer caused by "packing snuff."  It is NOT a harmless alternative to smoking.

• Love 6