Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: Chrissy Metz

atomationage
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Exactly, what else is she going to say? Not only this, I suspect that she would have agreed to anything to get this role which is her big break, especially for an actress her size in Hollywood. Also, if she did not agree to the weight loss clause, they likely would not have hired her.

I just had a random thought....perhaps it was her 'people' who leaked this story? It does lay a nice groundwork for protest if she is fired for not losing enough weight per the contract?   I can understand why she would sign it, I can understand why she can theoretically agree to it to get the big break (let's be real, how many breaks will an actress her size get) and also thinking this would be great for her to finally lose the weight.  But I can also understand being pissed as hell that her hiring was premised on her weight, scared as hell she might not be able to do it (from personal experience, I get that thinking of 'this will be the thing that finally makes me lose' only to be wrong lots of times) and, perhaps more importantly, protecting herself if she fails at a personal, very personal goal.

If so, good for her. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Also, are they providing her with financial support to accomplish these goals, etc. 

You mean in addition to her salary, which must be in the high five figures per episode? Joking aside, I think TV/film studios usually do pay for personal trainers, and it's common to have contractual fitness/weight requirements. Kate Beckinsale revealed a few years ago that Michael Bay, the executive producer of the movie Pearl Harbor, insisted that she get a personal trainer to get "in shape" for her role. I know it sounds extreme, but I'm sure Justin Hartley and Sterling K. Brown also have to keep themselves in good shape, what with their respective shirtless scenes. I obviously haven't read the contract, but I assume it's less about losing a certain number of pounds, and more about having the character on a weight loss "journey", so the actress has to be as well, to make it believable. So far, Kate has been losing very slowly, so I'm sure the burden on Chrissy Metz is not unreasonable.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

You mean in addition to her salary, which must be in the high five figures per episode? Joking aside, I think TV/film studios usually do pay for personal trainers, and it's common to have contractual fitness/weight requirements. Kate Beckinsale revealed a few years ago that Michael Bay, the executive producer of the movie Pearl Harbor, insisted that she get a personal trainer to get "in shape" for her role. I know it sounds extreme, but I'm sure Justin Hartley and Sterling K. Brown also have to keep themselves in good shape, what with their respective shirtless scenes. I obviously haven't read the contract, but I assume it's less about losing a certain number of pounds, and more about having the character on a weight loss "journey", so the actress has to be as well, to make it believable. So far, Kate has been losing very slowly, so I'm sure the burden on Chrissy Metz is not unreasonable.

I don't find these comparisons remotely on par particilarly when there  are examples of women being fired for gaining too much weight or merely being pregnant (mostly on soaps) but tons of men on soaps and tv shows have gained a shit ton of weight or were hired with weight issues and weren't fired. The fact that the actor they hired for Toby is padded to appear fatter also makes the contract problematic in my mind.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

I think she has a reasonable amount of job security inasmuch as Kate is one of the Big Three.  Yes, they could replace her but that would be tough for the audience to swallow.  I am wondering if Kate the character and Chrissy are going to have surgery.  This was done a long time ago with the teenage boy on 'Ed', but either the show ended or I quit watching and I don't remember seeing the results.  But I think there was some dramatic weight loss.  So that would not be unprecedented, but the contractual part . . .  I really doubt surgery would be contractually required. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I guess I have heard too many people say they are fine with a certain set of circumstances that allowed them to achieve their dreams only to later be honest about how awful and destructive it was to completely buy what she is saying.

So if she lied to get the job it's going to be the show's fault and not Chrissy's? 

It really doesn't seem to me like she's let herself in for anything nearly as gruesome as the people on "The Biggest Loser," or even the people who sign up as spokesperson for WW or Jenny Craig. Judging by the script so far, she isn't expected to lose very quickly at all. 

I may be all wrong about how these things work, but my guess is that a show like this, with such an untried concept, would have had to submit almost a season's worth of scripts before it would have found a producer.  Then the casting director would have known "Kate's" trajectory and would have asked a lot of questions of the actresses who were vying for the part.  One of which would you be, "Are you willing to diet hard throughout this role?"  Another of which would be, "How much success have you had with dieting in the past?" Like most women with weight problems, I've been on dozens of diets, and I know exactly what works best for me and that I invariably lose 3 pounds per week the first month followed by 2 pounds per week the next three or four months, settling  at 1.5 per week for the next year.  I really doubt that they all jumped into this without talking it through. 

I also don't see why Chrissy should have all sorts of perks and extra incentives beyond a good paying, starring role in a hit TV show.   It sounds like a dream set-up to me.

• Love 5

I would speculate that they have at least a trainer/gym for her, and maybe a nutritionist, but I have no real idea, of course. Maybe, sure, she's paid well enough to hire those things on her own, but if it's a condition of the job to lose weight, I'd think they might help out. I also imagine she's tried millions of diets herself over the years, like most of us, and obviously not been successful. I hope she is this time, if she wants to be. I've found that nothing much works for me anymore, due to thyroid issues and inherent laziness...the only thing that ever seems to work is a calorie count so low that I can't sustain it, and working out for hours daily, which I also can't and don't maintain, so, you know, here I am. People like to say 'oh, she's so big that if she really diets, she'd be losing weight really fast at first', but it's bullshit to think we know anything about her metabolism or health or whatever. It's different for everyone.

I would draw the line at surgery as a requirement tho...I mean, if she wants that, good on her, but for it to be a job requirement seems really Draconian.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

So if she lied to get the job it's going to be the show's fault and not Chrissy's? 

It really doesn't seem to me like she's let herself in for anything nearly as gruesome as the people on "The Biggest Loser," or even the people who sign up as spokesperson for WW or Jenny Craig. Judging by the script so far, she isn't expected to lose very quickly at all. 

I may be all wrong about how these things work, but my guess is that a show like this, with such an untried concept, would have had to submit almost a season's worth of scripts before it would have found a producer.  Then the casting director would have known "Kate's" trajectory and would have asked a lot of questions of the actresses who were vying for the part.  One of which would you be, "Are you willing to diet hard throughout this role?"  Another of which would be, "How much success have you had with dieting in the past?" Like most women with weight problems, I've been on dozens of diets, and I know exactly what works best for me and that I invariably lose 3 pounds per week the first month followed by 2 pounds per week the next three or four months, settling  at 1.5 per week for the next year.  I really doubt that they all jumped into this without talking it through. 

I also don't see why Chrissy should have all sorts of perks and extra incentives beyond a good paying, starring role in a hit TV show.   It sounds like a dream set-up to me.

So much of this is in fact wrong about how the business works* but I wasn't suggesting that Chrissy was lying but many actors (and people in other industries) have signed contracts to achieve their dreams and realized later that the requirements were bad and determintal to their mental, physical or financial health. 

I can also guarantee that Chrissy,based on all the actors resumes is making less than any of the actors involved in the show,  and is being required to do more than just act in the role so yes their should be additional perks if it requires more work than her costars. 

I stated I can't imagine they would fire her if she doesn't lose weight because it's problematic on so many levels but is adding pressure to her that the other cast members don't have. If Sterling K Brown gained weight it would be easily explained because he is a suburban father who spends most of his time behind the desk. Depression for Justin would also explain away weight gain bUT it is a crazy different scenario to maintain your weight rather than lose a huge amount of weight in a healthy way (mostt of the Biggest Losers gain a lot back once they leave their crazy regimented program).

*Dan Folgeman who created this show and produces it was a crazy sought after commodity he created two highly anticipated shows this season on two different networks, his other is Fox's Pitch. He achieved this by writing movies that earned more than 1 billion at the box office (three Cars movies, Bolt, Tangled, and smaller well reviewed films.)

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I guess I just don't understand the outrage. Chrissy is a grownup and in show business. She signed the contract knowing what it meant, and she has stated she is happy with it. Now people are questioning whether she honestly likes the weight-loss clause or was lying. We don't know what the contract exactly said, but it is within the rights of the show to put it in the contract because it pertains to the story they want to tell. Just as they would be within their rights to ask Justin to stay lean and toned, or Sterling. That is part of show business - your body is an important part of the job. I don't understand why people here are so upset on her behalf when she has publicly declared (and I choose to believe her) to be totally fine with it.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

People like to say 'oh, she's so big that if she really diets, she'd be losing weight really fast at first', but it's bullshit to think we know anything about her metabolism or health or whatever

True, but I don't think it's bullshit to think she knows her own body and considered such things before she signed the contract.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

True, but I don't think it's bullshit to think she knows her own body and considered such things before she signed the contract.

I don't either. Not sure what one has to do with the other, exactly. She signed the contract, she says she's fine with it and happy to try to lose weight, I believe her. Part of her job. I never intimated that I thought otherwise. I do wonder about how TPTB will react if she DOESN'T lose weight, or is unable to, for whatever reason, or not fast enough, or whatever, but I don't think the weight stipulation is evil or wrong. People in the acting industry are generally paid to look a certain way and know it's part of the job.

• Love 3
On 11/18/2016 at 2:03 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I kind of wonder if 15-year old Kate is thinner for a reason- maybe she engaged in some eating disorder and was able to maintain a more normal weight that way? (Anne from Heart basically admitted that she starved herself during the 70's and early 80's and then piled on the weight as soon as she stopped.) I remember a plot from Rescue Me about a woman who was on the fat side, and it turned out that she was bulimic in order to avoid being morbidly obese.

Teen Kate is a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That made me smile. Also just the fact that she really does look a lot like she could be Metz in an earlier period of her life, moreso than the 8-year old version.

Does the timeline work?

If Kate turned 36 in the fall of 2016, then she would have been 15 in the fall of 1995.  I dont think the movie was out then, and the SMG show definitely wasnt.  

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Does the timeline work?

If Kate turned 36 in the fall of 2016, then she would have been 15 in the fall of 1995.  I dont think the movie was out then, and the SMG show definitely wasnt.  

Quick IMDB search shows the movie came out in 92. The show was 97. I didn't watch the show, but I know a couple weirdos who did (no offense, Buffy fans, but some of you are RABID).

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think Metz has it easier. 

I think not.  

Im guessing this was one of one of parts she was allowed to read for.  Period. So, she has this one job, contract restrictions are in place. It's not like she's going to waltz to numerous other offers if all goes wrong. 

We can all speculate she won't be fired but she most certainly does not have it easy (whether in this job or moving easily into another). 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, pennben said:

Im guessing this was one of one of parts she was allowed to read for.  Period. So, she has this one job, contract restrictions are in place. It's not like she's going to waltz to numerous other offers if all goes wrong. 

We can all speculate she won't be fired but she most certainly does not have it easy (whether in this job or moving easily into another). 

Acting in Hollywood is a tough business for anyone but the biggest stars. She's luckier than most working actors, fat or thin, in that her show was picked up by a major network. She's in no more danger of losing her job than any other actor who plays a major character on any other ensemble drama.

• Love 3

I'm just sayin', y'all. I personally knew two Buffy fans in college who were constantly trying to get me to watch episodes. The show was fine, but I didn't really get into it, and these fans were mortally offended that I didn't become a massive fan too. It was totally bizarre and I haven't seen any other TV show inspire such fervor. 

• Love 4

I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me that "Ed" exists. That show was such a treasure, and also featured a fat actress in addition to the teen boy who had weight loss surgery. I always try to support shows that represent that humans actually do come in multiple sizes, ha. 

As for Chrissy's weight loss contract, I think she's an adult and is probably pumped. I used to weigh over 300 pounds. I am not in any way speaking for others, but for me personally, being that weight sucked even though I'm a major supporter of the body-positive movement. If she feels the same way and wants to use this character she's creating as a vehicle towards dropping some weight, I think that's interesting, and I am actually pretty excited to watch a weight loss journey that doesn't come from The Biggest Loser, which is a horrific program that should not exist.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Tooch said:

The Biggest Loser, which is a horrific program that should not exist.

CO-SIGN. The Biggest Loser was the worst thing to ever happen to the "sane personal trainer" industry. My new clients are always terrified that I'm going to "go all Jillian on them." *sigh*

I just realized I'm sure this Thanksgiving episode will be all about Kate's diet too. And heaven help me if Toby forcibly inserts himself into family goings-on.

• Love 7

Plus she might inspire people to give it another try, especially since they're being pretty realistic about the process as opposed to making it seem easy-peasy. I'm excited for her to reach the point where she doesn't have to worry whether a chair will hold her. I think that right there would be worth whatever amount of work she has to put into it.

• Love 6
On 11/19/2016 at 4:40 PM, ClareWalks said:

Quick IMDB search shows the movie came out in 92. The show was 97. I didn't watch the show, but I know a couple weirdos who did (no offense, Buffy fans, but some of you are RABID).

Yes we are. Proudly. :o)

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I'm just sayin', y'all. I personally knew two Buffy fans in college who were constantly trying to get me to watch episodes. The show was fine, but I didn't really get into it, and these fans were mortally offended that I didn't become a massive fan too. It was totally bizarre and I haven't seen any other TV show inspire such fervor. 

It was just that good. In fact, now that i know you couldn't get into it..

Onto the actual thread matters, it's cool that Chrissy is so positive, but I too am concerned about the pressure on her if she has issues. I don't know why this is worrying - many good arguments have been made upthread against worrying - but it is, to me. 

Regarding the show inspiring folks to start again - I don't know. I feel like the show failed in the most important thing - going to a medically qualified nutritionist who prescribes a tasty, sustainable diet - that I'm worried about a spread of misinformation. And as stated, with all the walking she is doing, I am concerned about the strain on her heart and her knees. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, romantic idiot said:

Onto the actual thread matters, it's cool that Chrissy is so positive, but I too am concerned about the pressure on her if she has issues. I don't know why this is worrying - many good arguments have been made upthread against worrying - but it is, to me. 

And if she isn't able to lose significant weight, then that becomes part of the story.  The storyline can evolve. Wouldn't it be interesting if her contract required her not to lose a huge amount of weight and they are playing with our expectations?  (Though I suppose they could always pad her if she lost too much. . . .)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

Yes we are. Proudly. :o)

It was just that good. In fact, now that i know you couldn't get into it..

The movie version was just fun, while the show especially during the second to third season was just incredible, memorable television. (With spots of brilliance in the four seasons after Golden Age Buffy.)

I wonder if Kate watched the show, or she was a movie fan purely. I've met people who loved the movie but couldn't stand the show. In any event, I can't help but kind of like her now that I know she can probably quote "Get out of my facial" and "My keen fashion sense!"

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2016 at 4:38 AM, biakbiak said:

I don't find these comparisons remotely on par particilarly when there  are examples of women being fired for gaining too much weight or merely being pregnant (mostly on soaps) but tons of men on soaps and tv shows have gained a shit ton of weight or were hired with weight issues and weren't fired. The fact that the actor they hired for Toby is padded to appear fatter also makes the contract problematic in my mind.

I do seriously wonder if the contract is actually enforceable.  That said, I wouldn't be outraged if it were enforceable after all.  Getting a fire lit under you to lose that kind of weight is pretty great.  But if the show continues to be a hit, and if she's anything like me, I would get my lawyers/agents to push, not to get out of the contract, but to do little things like make the craft table with the unhealthy food somewhere out of sight and out of smelling range, and have only very healthy snacks available within view of where I have to walk between the set and the trailer.  Plus set me up with a personal chef and trainer, yadda yadda.

As for men on soaps and so on: I think it has always been unfair, unequal, but is getting a lot less so.  Someone mentioned an article that called bullshit on Jack being so super cut in 1980.  That's a fair criticism, but it's not because no one worked out then, or no one was thin.  What it is, is that to get to that level of chiseled perfection, but without getting an overblown bodybuilder look, was just not scientifically figured out back then.  And even today, it's not like "Awesome, it's 2016, so just take these vitamins and use these workout machines, and you are all set".  More like you have a personal trainer who puts you through all kinds of insane torture for hours a day, day after day, and meanwhile you have an incredibly micromanaged low carb diet.  I do not envy those guys who have to maintain that standard now.

11 hours ago, Tooch said:

I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me that "Ed" exists. That show was such a treasure, and also featured a fat actress in addition to the teen boy who had weight loss surgery. I always try to support shows that represent that humans actually do come in multiple sizes, ha. 

Vulture just a few days ago came out with an article titled The Strange Disappearance of Ed, the Great Show That Time Forgot.  I'm right there with ya!

12 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I just meant I think it's easier to lose weight from a starting point of 400 lbs. than to maintain a size zero year after year after year.  

That's absolutely true.  People can protest all they want about metabolism, thyroid, yadda yadda, but it takes a serious amount of fuel just to maintain 400 pounds of living flesh at 98.6 degrees--so unless you're an actual zombie, if you cut your food intake and exercise, you are going to lose weight at the beginning.  Keeping it off is much, much harder--although I'm not maintaining it at the level you are talking about (or that I was talking about for male actors like the ones who play Kevin and Jack).

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

But if the show continues to be a hit, and if she's anything like me, I would get my lawyers/agents to push, not to get out of the contract, but to do little things like make the craft table with the unhealthy food somewhere out of sight and out of smelling range, and have only very healthy snacks available within view of where I have to walk between the set and the trailer.  Plus set me up with a personal chef and trainer, yadda yadda.

I just assumed they were already doing that.   If it is important enough to be part of her contract then it is obviously in the interests of the show and therefore somehow matters to their bottom line.  So  I would imagine that they are helping her out.  Probably providing a trainer and a nutritionist and other support and what-not.  And if she had a halfway decent lawyer, they should have insisted on  provisions like that.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

But if the show continues to be a hit, and if she's anything like me, I would get my lawyers/agents to push, not to get out of the contract, but to do little things like make the craft table with the unhealthy food somewhere out of sight and out of smelling range, and have only very healthy snacks available within view of where I have to walk between the set and the trailer.  Plus set me up with a personal chef and trainer, yadda yadda.

They should certainly provide her with whatever guidance she needs, but it's unrealistic to think that removing all temptation at work is possible.  Do her costars have to "do a Toby" and offer to not eat anything tempting in front of her?  Your family is super-accommodating because they love you, but I think that you have a very unusual situation.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm sure they provided her with a trainer, and possibly a chef / specialty meal delivery service, but removing all "tempting" foods from the set would be overkill. I'm sure the food on the set is already reasonably healthy - I just can't see Mandy, Milo, Sterling, and Justin gorging on Big Macs on a regular basis - but the entire production can't revolve around Chrissy's dietary restrictions.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They should certainly provide her with whatever guidance she needs, but it's unrealistic to think that removing all temptation at work is possible.  Do her costars have to "do a Toby" and offer to not eat anything tempting in front of her?  Your family is super-accommodating because they love you, but I think that you have a very unusual situation.

Yes, and part of what is so unusual is the success.  Have you seen the dismal statistics on successful weight loss and maintenance?

Also, I don't know that my family is "super-accommodating".  They eat what they want, just some of it not around me.  And I do my own shopping, cooking, and dishwashing.  So most of the accommodation, or at least extra work, is on my end, I would argue.

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yeah, I'm sure they provided her with a trainer, and possibly a chef / specialty meal delivery service, but removing all "tempting" foods from the set would be overkill. I'm sure the food on the set is already reasonably healthy - I just can't see Mandy, Milo, Sterling, and Justin gorging on Big Macs on a regular basis - but the entire production can't revolve around Chrissy's dietary restrictions.

How would using an adjacent room, or even a curtain, amount to making "the entire production...revolve around Chrissy's dietary restrictions"?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Uh . . . I wouldnt be surprised if Milo and Christy were eating similar things.  It takes a lot of work in the gym AND kitchen to look like Milo, believe me.  If Milo or Chrissy or anyone else cant handle being around others eating something not on "their diet", then they need to grow the fuck up.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Uh . . . I wouldnt be surprised if Milo and Christy were eating similar things.  It takes a lot of work in the gym AND kitchen to look like Milo, believe me.  If Milo or Chrissy or anyone else cant handle being around others eating something not on "their diet", then they need to grow the fuck up.

Thanks for that.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

How would using an adjacent room, or even a curtain, amount to making "the entire production...revolve around Chrissy's dietary restrictions"?

YMMV, but that's a slippery slope into "difficult to work with" territory. The catering is there for everyone who works on the show. One person's preferences don't get to dictate how the catering is arranged.

• Love 2

Well, they put it in her contract she had to lose weight, seems only fair for her to negotiate steps for them to take to facilitate that contractual requirement  (I have no idea if she did) 

and slackerinc, you keep doing you!  A real grown up understands their limitations and takes steps to make sure they stay on a healthy track. That's what 'growing the f up' really means. Sounds like you are doing great! Screw all the naysayers. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, pennben said:

Well, they put it in her contract she had to lose weight, seems only fair for her to negotiate steps for them to take to facilitate that contractual requirement  (I have no idea if she did) 

Perhaps, but I would guess that there are other actresses who would willingly accept a large paycheck for a role that required them to lose weight, on a network show, without demanding a lot of conditions.  Possibly none that the producers thought were as talented, but still, I don't think many non-famous actors offered starring roles would risk it.  On the other hand, since the producers are clearly motivated to have her lose weight, if they thought she wanted someone to follow her around the set and slap inappropriate food out of her hand, I'm sure they would offer to provide someone!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

Episodes thought me that the food outlay is for everyone - cast, director, sound people, light people, PAs, any visiting guest star/producer, interns, etc. So even if the cast is 100% healthy, the spread typically includes doughnuts, brownies, etc. Just in case. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Perhaps, but I would guess that there are other actresses who would willingly accept a large paycheck for a role that required them to lose weight, on a network show, without demanding a lot of conditions.  Possibly none that the producers thought were as talented, but still, I don't think many non-famous actors offered starring roles would risk it.

I agree.  It's easy to lose the original thread of the discussion, but I was talking about how I didn't know if her contract was enforceable, but if the show continues to be successful (and my understanding is that it's the biggest hit of the fall season), she could get her lawyers and agents to renegotiate that part.  As in, "I could probably get this completely thrown out in court, but how about instead you just keep the portion of craft services with food I can't eat in a different room I don't have to enter?"  Seems to me like a pretty easy concession.  Oh noes, everyone else has to walk a few feet and open a door into a room if they want Danishes or pizza!  How will they make it.  ;-)

An illustration I found of how difficult it is to keep weight off is in this British newspaper article (other estimates vary, but I haven't seen any higher than five percent).  Here's the lede:

Some 34 million Britons embarked on diets last year - but an astonishing 99 per cent piled the weight they lost back on, it emerged yesterday.
Just 1 per cent - 340,000 slimmers - managed to stay trim for more than a year, according to a damning report on the weight-loss industry.
Research analysts Datamonitor, who conducted the study, accused the £10bn-a-year industry of making bogus promises to dieters. 

Which does, come to think of it, mean that maybe if they want to keep the show truly realistic, Kate should ultimately fail and end up heavier than before.  But wow, that's so dark.

If they wanted Kate to lose (and keep off) weight, they should have done what they did with Toby and used a fat suit. Telling anyone "You must lose [x] pounds, and [y] inches here, here and here" is extremely unrealistic and unhealthy.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

If they wanted Kate to lose (and keep off) weight, they should have done what they did with Toby and used a fat suit. Telling anyone "You must lose [x] pounds, and [y] inches here, here and here" is extremely unrealistic and unhealthy.

I think they can do whatever they want and she can accept or decline, but I did wonder why they didn't pad her originally to take some of the pressure off both sides. Also I doubt they have "X pounds in Y days" in the contract because that would be insane.

As for hiding delicious food from her - she'd be better off changing her mindset, because delicious food is waved in your face everywhere you go.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, random chance said:

I think they can do whatever they want and she can accept or decline, but I did wonder why they didn't pad her originally to take some of the pressure off both sides. Also I doubt they have "X pounds in Y days" in the contract because that would be insane.

Exactly. We actually have no idea what the contract said.

• Love 1

I liked how, in the Thanksgiving episode, Kate was rather confident about the plane, after brief hesitation.  She proactively told the woman in the window seat she bought both seats, and wasn't sheepish about the seat belt extender.  Matter-of-fact, even though she could have been defeated by people staring.  She wasn't. 

• Love 4

I've been wondering about the buying two coach seats thing, wouldn't it be more comfortable to fly first class instead? I travel a lot for work, and most airlines I've been on have pretty large and comfy first class seats, and there's a gap between seats, so even if you spill over a little, you're not in another person's space (not that I get upgraded that often, but I always walk through first class to get to my coach seat). I just looked up first class airfare for the route I travel most frequently, and it costs a little less than double of the coach airfare, so it's not a financial concern.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I've been wondering about the buying two seats thing, wouldn't it be more comfortable to fly first class instead? I travel a lot for work, and most airlines I've been on have pretty large and comfy first class seats, and there's a gap between seats, so even if you spill over a little, you're not in another person's space (not that I get upgraded that often, but I always walk through first class to get to my coach seat). Or is one first class seat significantly more expensive than two coach seats?

Whenever I have looked up first class ticket prices, it seems like they are on average about four times more expensive. It's ridiculous, but I gotta say, the one time I flew first class (it was a free upgrade because our prior flight was cancelled) it was pretty damn sweet. But I can't imagine drinking enough free booze to be worth the insane upcharge ;)

• Love 3
Just now, ClareWalks said:

Whenever I have looked up first class ticket prices, it seems like they are on average about four times more expensive. It's ridiculous, but I gotta say, the one time I flew first class (it was a free upgrade because our prior flight was cancelled) it was pretty damn sweet. But I can't imagine drinking enough free booze to be worth the insane upcharge ;)

I just edited my original post as you wrote your reply. I decided to look up first class fare, but for the route and date I looked up, the first class fare was $376 vs $208 for coach. I guess the prices fluctuate widely, and it can be up to 4x more expensive like you said. 

• Love 1
Just now, chocolatine said:

I decided to look up first class fare, but for the route and date I looked up, the first class fare was $376 vs $208 for coach.

Daaaaaamn, I *might* be able to drink enough free booze to cover THAT! It seems like so many airlines are kind of doing away with first class, or they only have like four rows. It is annoying. But yeah, a first class seat should definitely be comfy for Kate or any person of size :)

• Love 1