Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Kiss Is Just A Kiss

Tara Ariano

8 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

I just can't suspend disbelief enough that Charles doesn't know she's not his age...I think maybe this should have all ended with last season and this is territory that is going to end badly (and stupidly).  

I think last season it really did get ridiculous with Thad's death to prevent her secret from getting out. Like, I'm sorry, that crane falling on him was ridiculous.  It just was. I get that the show had another season left and they can't bury the lead as quick to keep it going, but..maybe that's why this show doesn't work as a show. It probably worked better as a movie, because.. I don't know how they are going to keep her secret a secret any longer without me rolling my eyes. 

• Love 6

Cheered the drunken Diana sl...and that wedding dress out the window was exactly right.  I've done...well, not that, but similar.

Loved Liza shoving the "4th square" in her mouth.  Have been through my share of corporate character-building bullshit, and I'm only sorry I never thought of resorting to that!  Genius.

And of course she can't have The Talk with Charles.  The show has to do some ridiculous wanking to keep them apart. I get it.  I don't like it, but I get it.  And yes: Team Charles all the way!!

Edited by rallymantis
  • Love 4

I cracked up when Josh said, "Just bring donuts - don't freak out," because I remember back in the olden days of tribe.net, whenever the server was down we got an error message that said "donut freak out!"

One of the things I really like about this show is how they skewer pop culture. This week we had the Younger version of Marie Kondo. I also took her comment about the vortex of death as skewering Abraham Hicks.

Oh, Liza. NEVER write the name of your boss/crush on a piece of paper during a work exercise. As soon as she did that, I was waiting for faux Marie Kondo to tell everyone to trade papers with each other.

Diana said she got married 15 years ago but those huge poofy long sleeves were not fashionable in 2001. They looked like they were from 1985.

• Love 1

There was a scene in last night's episode where Liza was sitting at her desk--her hair was up, if I remember right--and I thought, "As pretty and younger-than-her-age as Sutton Foster may be, ain't no one stupid enough to believe she's in her 20s." You could tell her age around her eyes, and her unflattering eye makeup in that scene didn't help a bit. 

I'm not a fan of love triangles, so I'm not looking forward to Liza's lie AND the triangle playing out over the season. Yes, I'm a card-carrying member of Team Charles and I would rather her end up with him (although I like Josh, too, if not his hair, LOL), but at the same time she can end up with whoever the heck she wants AS LONG AS THEY QUIT DRAGGING THE TRIANGLE AND THE LIE OUT.  

ETA: Oh, and I want to go to Marie's Crisis now. That looks like the most fun place ever.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I feel like this season we're settling into the Josh/Liza/Charles triangle and in not into that.

I'm not into it, either.  Charles is going after a subordinate, and that's wrong no matter how old she is (or he thinks she is). I'm glad they had his lawyer friend make that point more than once.

10 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

that crane falling on him was ridiculous.

I loved that precisely because it was so ridiculous. 

Miriam Shor is a treasure. My only complaint about the Marie's Crisis scenes is that we didn't get to hear enough of her singing. She was the original Yitzhak in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, FFS.

Edited by dubbel zout
formatting woes
  • Love 2

Marie's Crisis is definitely the most fun place ever. As someone who's been going there regularly for more than 20 years, I can completely attest to that. Strong recommend to anyone who has always wanted to belt out a showtune without caring what they sound like.

• Love 2

I thought I saw somewhere that when Liza's hair is down, she is 26 year old Liza and when her hair is up, she's 40 something Liza. There were 2 scenes that proved that false.  And 26 (27?) Lize should never wear her hair up. Looks every bit of her real age.

• Love 3

Maybe this will be the season the charade is finally done. Liza has been at Empirical long enough to establish herself. Knowing she's not 26 shouldn't make a difference as far as that matters. If the show wants to be I subversive, let's show that the olds aren't as out of touch with social media and the like as millennials might think. 

I want to see how the lie affects Liza's personal relationships with Diana, Charles, and Kelsey. Is she still the same person to them? Does she suddenly become less effective at her job? There are a lot of avenues the show can take. How about we focus on those instead of a dumb love triangle that shouldn't happen anyway because CHARLES IS HER BOSS. How about he finds out about the age lie, wants to date her anyway, and tries to find her a job elsewhere but is unsure whether to continue the lie? Liza wants to date him, but at this point is tired of lying. But her experience level doesn't get her anything higher than an assistant/associate editor, and she wants more.

Darren Star, call me. I'm happy to consult.

• Love 3

"I brought you some condoms, medium to magnum"

"Nothing in small?"

"I have faith in you Caitlyn"

*Wide-eyed Liza*

Maggie,  you're hilarious :D

Edited by Eri
  • Love 5

Hey, it's Maddie Corman! Although she's not in the IMDB credits for this episode for some reason.

Yeah, there are times when Sutton Foster looks every bit her real age, especially with certain eye makeup. And even rail-thin Sutton Foster didn't look good in that denim jump suit.

• Love 3

I mean, there are things I really like about this show and things I really don't.  I think I may be on Team Charles, only because Josh changes his mind at every season. He backs away like he can't handle this secret and then at the last second in the season finale returns to Liza all, 'I want to make it work". It happened in both the season 1 and season 2 finale. I don't know if the show is doing this on purpose or what to try and explain that Josh is a guy in his 20s and can't figure out what he wants but it bugs me. Also they tend to keep dangling the carrot of Liza's ex-husband swooping back into the picture too. Not that I think he's a catch or anything, but the show is giving her too many choices at this point. 

9 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also they tend to keep dangling the carrot of Liza's ex-husband swooping back into the picture too. Not that I think he's a catch or anything, but the show is giving her too many choices at this point. 

I don't think the ex-husband is being presented as a choice. He's a part of her life as a 40-year-old, and as such, is a threat to the secret.

15 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

He backs away like he can't handle this secret and then at the last second in the season finale returns to Liza all, 'I want to make it work". 

IIRC, I don't think that's the reason why they broke up last season. He was fine with Liza's age after being given some time (I don't blame him for being angry when he first found out. Anyone, even 40+ year old Charles, would have been angry being blindsided like that). He has accepted the fact that she has a teenage daughter, is divorced, has made efforts to be involved in her life (meeting and dining with her friends, hanging out with Maggie, etc.), and even wanted her to be included in that feature piece he had for NY Times(?), as his girlfriend, if only Liza wasn't so conscious about keeping up with the facade. TBH, I think he has handled the entire situation maturely and impressively well. What made him break up with her was the fact that Liza wanted to go on perpetuating the lie, especially to someone like Kelsey, whom Liza considers a close friend. He couldn't understand why, if Kelsey was such a close friend and important person to Liza, why would Liza keep on pretending and lying to her. And I think that's a legitimate gripe.

That's why I couldn't be on the Charles train like the show wants me to (or does it?). Yeah, on paper they make the most sense, but Josh hasn't acted the stereotypical 26-year old slacker guy who's just a filler until Liza's midlife crisis is over. Sure, he has his moments (all-day video games with roomies, pot, etc.), but he's surprisingly been a character with more depth than what most people give him credit for. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 9

I kind of rolled my eyes at the one couple we happen to see Liza with earlier showing up again later in the episode as friends of Charles.  And yes, the denim jumpsuit was just awful on her.  I never really understand Liza's fashion choices.  I don't read them as being "young," so much as just being eccentric.

I also thought Diana's butterfly necklace just looked bad, and not really like something Diana would wear.   

Love Diane's closet, love that Diane goes to Marie's Crisis Cave, liked that Diane treated Kelsey as a real peer and mentor.  I just really like Diane and I hope that the show brings her some sort of happy ending.

Charles should never have kissed Liza in the first place and he knows it.  You just don't do that with an employee, no matter her age.

Liza should have just put initials, "J" and "C", and then if Kelsey asks, just say "C" was someone new she just met.

Agreed that Liza shouldn't wear her hair up.  If she doesn't want it long, then put it in some sort of pony tail or down braid.

Loved Liza shoving the "4th square" in her mouth.  Have been through my share of corporate character-building bullshit, and I'm only sorry I never thought of resorting to that!  Genius.

Me too. Though I didn't really like the parody of Marie Kondo. What was the joke? I will say that I also saw the problem coming. It's work... why would you write something like that down?

There was a scene in last night's episode where Liza was sitting at her desk--her hair was up, if I remember right--and I thought, "As pretty and younger-than-her-age as Sutton Foster may be, ain't no one stupid enough to believe she's in her 20s." You could tell her age around her eyes, and her unflattering eye makeup in that scene didn't help a bit. 

I see it from time to time. I'm not sure if it's the HD or the makeup but they need to do something about it when they go in for close ups. I think it might be makeup because while she's never quite looked 26, I don't remember the crinkles around her eyes being that dramatic before.

I've wanted to go to Marie's Crisis for years but I'm not brave enough to go alone because I've heard they can be a little mean.

Miriam Shor is a treasure.

YES. More Miriam Shor. Though I was not that impressed with Diana's closet. I guess they didn't want to go full fantasy as this is NY.

@slowpoked You make some good points about Josh. I hope they don't go to the extreme and give him Perfect Boyfriend Syndrome which is where they seem to be going.