Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Second Year

thewhiteowl

So, I decided to give this episode a go despite the loss of Neal and Christa.

The storyline was captivating enough, although the 13yo kid was annoying to the extreme, and I feel like they've done a similar storyline with the father before.

I felt for Angus, but something seemed missing from that storyline. I'm not sure what, exactly.

I dislike all of the new residents. I don't care about any of them. I really dislike the surgeon guy, although he wasn't as bad as he was last season. I think if this was the first time I was seeing him, I wouldn't mind him so much.

I wonder if the military guy is going to be a regular, or if he was a one-off. I could see him fitting in well.

Still not sure I'll stick with the show, but it was better than I was expecting.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The storyline was captivating enough, although the 13yo kid was annoying to the extreme, and I feel like they've done a similar storyline with the father before.

I felt for Angus, but something seemed missing from that storyline. I'm not sure what, exactly.

I dislike all of the new residents. I don't care about any of them. I really dislike the surgeon guy, although he wasn't as bad as he was last season. I think if this was the first time I was seeing him, I wouldn't mind him so much.

I wonder if the military guy is going to be a regular, or if he was a one-off. I could see him fitting in well.

Still not sure I'll stick with the show, but it was better than I was expecting.

By "military guy" if you mean Rob Lowe's character, Ethan Willis, he's a regular as of this season.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a spacing issue.

I'm just watching it now, so this is an intermediate remark:

I've never rooted for anyone to have crepitus so much in my whole life.

All done.

I really like this show a lot, which must put me in the minority, going by the number of posts--last night's Survivor is already closing in on Page Three.  I love Rorish and Mama (although I could live without the "Mama" name, which is too precious.)  Rob Lowe looks like he might be able to do a decent job with a role that's not about pretty twinkle.

Savetti and Angus:  total horses' asses.  Slap!

I like the story of the new doc being really smart but dismissed by everyone because she's famous--I already feel more supportive than I ever did for Izzie "Nobody thinks I can be a good surgeon because I'm so beautiful" Stevens.  The two second-year docs running up to fanwank on her was way too much, though, so let's dole that out in smaller doses, okay?

Next week has Camryn Manheim and Eric Roberts!  What's not to love here?

Edited by candall
  • Love 7

I thought it was alright. Somewhat heavy on the cheese but that's to be expected in a medical drama. Did not like Lowe's hipster hair. Do military or do not, he just looks like he took extra douche pills. 

Didn't really miss Neal or Christa although I did like them. 

• Love 1

I really liked Neal.  That's a tough loss, imo.  Very unfortunate. 

I was surprised at how much I liked Rob Lowe, since, I rarely like him in anything.  I thought the hairstyle was an improvement from how he normally looks. lol 

I did take issue with the behavior of the little girl who was attacked by the shark.  Her outrageous, rude and angry behavior to her sister, after she was almost eaten by a shark seemed misplaced to me.  No matter how much you crush on an older guy, that seemed warped.  

Also, I didn't see why Mama had to take the first year resident to do cleaning really dirty jobs, just because he asked if they had a lounge.  I mean, it's a healthy thing to take a break when you're doing serious and demanding work.  I know that doctors might downplay it, but it is important.  I'd rather a rested, well fed doctor who's had enough sleep work on me, thank you.  It just hearkened to the days of hazing when you treat someone like crap, just because you can.  I didn't appreciate it and I normally like Mama. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, candall said:
8 hours ago, candall said:

Savetti and Angus:  total horses' asses.  Slap!

Savetti is a sexist pig and horrible doctor.  His first instinct in treating the patient with the "vaginal hole" was to give her a psych evaluation.  If it had not been for the new first year "movie star" doctor that patient would have died.  He was not only dismissive of his patient he was negligent.  He should be doing medical research and should not be anywhere near human patients.  Actually I would not allow him to treat my niece's hamster.   

• Love 5

Well, they certainly made Rob Lowe look a lot more world-weary.  Along those lines, is it really conventional wisdom that having cheek and chin stubble imparts some sort or maturity or confidence to the actor?  Every time I see some character in a professional role looking like that I think sloth.

I bet LA County FD put out a press release stating "We do not fly with doors open and unsecured people on board."  That was nice how the copter could land and take off without stirring any sand up.

One of the first years puts Mama on the spot with a question about why they don't expand to mitigate the Code Black occurrences.  No money, says Mama.  How is it they can afford a hyperbaric chamber?

Angus almost tanked his internship at Angels before he got a hold of himself in the ER.  But the apology covers everything.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, I didn't see why Mama had to take the first year resident to do cleaning really dirty jobs, just because he asked if they had a lounge.  I mean, it's a healthy thing to take a break when you're doing serious and demanding work.  I know that doctors might downplay it, but it is important.  I'd rather a rested, well fed doctor who's had enough sleep work on me, thank you.  It just hearkened to the days of hazing when you treat someone like crap, just because you can.  I didn't appreciate it and I normally like Mama. 

I thought this whole exchange was odd. There is typically a room with a cot where the on-call resident can sleep. I get that they're too busy to have time to sleep - which is not at all uncommon for residents on call - but the room should still exist.

Everyone wants a well-rested doctor, but you're most likely not going to get one in a teaching hospital. It's a big problem, but it's also a fact.

Wasting the resident's time making him clean was terrible though.

• Love 1

Usually ED residents don't have an on call room since they do 12 hour shifts and don't need them, but there usually is a lounge they can eat in and relax for a bit.

Im dreading watching this episode because no Neal. Still sad.

I really like this show and always have.  I did not know about the cast changes they made, and I am disappointed that they didn't make any mention of where Neal and Christa went.  Maybe it will come up in future episodes?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Savetti is a sexist pig and horrible doctor.  His first instinct in treating the patient with the "vaginal hole" was to give her a psych evaluation.  If it had not been for the new first year "movie star" doctor that patient would have died.  He was not only dismissive of his patient he was negligent.

And apparently too much of an arrogant asshole to give her the tiniest "confidentially-just-between-us" nod for saving the patient's life in spite of him and then giving him the credit.

(I didn't agree at all with "Jessamine's" gracious generosity there.  You're starting out with a handicap--you need to be better than other people, just to be even.  Not the time to be hiding your light under a bushel.)

• Love 1

I really hope that the writers don't pull a TJ from The Night Shift with the Rob Lowe character, having him pull out weird and wonderful responses to trauma from his field knowledge,  or performing a heart/lung/brain transplant in a forest with a toothpic and a hairbrush. 

• Love 2

So, I see the writers spent the hiatus watching The Night Shift.  For however ridiculous that show is, at least it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is.

We suffer through all the crap about Leann becoming ER Chief, and then they just handwave it?

• Love 2

Addition:  Probably the injectable foam is a real thing that they got from the tech. advisors, but that was about the grossest thing I have seen yet on the show.  I'm sure it works, but I sure wouldn't want to see Hostess filling pushing out of my wounds.  Just hold your hands over my eyes, thank you very much.

• Love 1

I loved the first season of this show and was thrilled when it was renewed. I liked the S2 opener even though there were some things that I could have done without.  It's hard to believe that Mario made it to his second year.  He's a walking malpractice suit waiting to happen.  Rob Lowe fit right in and his character appears to have an "interesting" back story.  It will also be interesting to see how Rorish interacts with Campbell who is an arrogant dick who knows squat about how an ER has to work.  Fortunately not all surgeons behave like Campbell. 

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 2

Unfortunately, Savetti rang the most true to me. My daughter has had several major health crises. She had an airway injury in a chemistry lab in college that was dismissed as "homesickness" until she had to be placed on a ventilator, and a major stroke at age 30 that never got the tPa injection because they didn't actually believe she was having the symptoms she described. She now has permanent deficits that could possibly have been eliminated. Even in the five years since her stroke, she's gone in to ER several times with problems (like seizures that were initially diagnosed as hysteria) that were totally dismissed by male docs. Now she always asks for a woman doctor if one is available (and both her younger siblings are MDs now - but I've told my son if I ever hear him dismissing a female patient as "all in her head," he will be spanked by his mama in front of all the other doctors and nurses!) She has had some excellent male docs in all the ones she has seen, but her experiences with Savettis have left her skittish.

It's going to take me awhile to learn all the new characters, especially since hubs loves these hospital dramas and Code Black, Chicago Med and Night Shift are getting harder for me to distinguish and remember which docs go with which hospital! At least even he bailed on Grey's Anatomy after one season.

• Love 4
On 9/28/2016 at 11:56 PM, BW Manilowe said:

By "military guy" if you mean Rob Lowe's character, Ethan Willis, he's a regular as of this season.

Glad to see him again. I swear, I think he must have a painting in his attic. He doesn't age at all!

• Love 1

The unfortunate world we are in since the  ER era military doctors were sent to train at big city hospitals not so much to bring new technics as Colonel Willis, not here it makes me feel old, is because they never saw much  trauma in peacetime

I have to add that I find it just a bit tacky that some pharma company is advertising a medicine on this show (and some other med shows) that has the tagline "It may give you a CHANCE at a longer lifespan" because of your chronic disease.  Even more absurd, during the cautions, they say "tell your doctor if you have had an organ transplant".  Yeah, don't you think your doctor would know that already?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I have to add that I find it just a bit tacky that some pharma company is advertising a medicine on this show (and some other med shows) that has the tagline "It may give you a CHANCE at a longer lifespan" because of your chronic disease.  Even more absurd, during the cautions, they say "tell your doctor if you have had an organ transplant".  Yeah, don't you think your doctor would know that already?

I haven't seen those commercials since I live in Canada where that's not allowed, but honestly, you'd be surprised. I once asked a patient if he had any medical conditions and he said no. Turns out he had renal failure and was on dialysis three times a week. He later said he didn't think that counted as a medical condition.

Someone who had an organ transplant 20 years ago and is just used to taking daily immunosuppressants as a part of life could easily forget to mention it.

• Love 1

I didn't know Christa and Neal were out until I was about halfway through this episode and decided I'd better check the boards to see what was up. Really disappointing :(

Boy oh boy talk about a bloated cast now. Rob Lowe fits in nicely but everyone else is just blah (including and maybe especially the promoted Kodjoe/Campbell) and the upshot, for me at least, is that the show has lost its heart and center... I think I could hang in there with Christa and Neal being gone if Marcia Gay Harden were still anchoring the show with her acting chops and the super-strong character that she created last season — but the way things played out this episode, I found all the storylines boring because they were all so thin, not enough time for any one of them to go deep (and the new folks are so lightweight, and Angus and Civetti are back to being awful without the balancing energies of their older more mature colleagues)

So yuck, judging from this ep  Code Black might as well have been canceled for me. I got a very Grey's Anatomy/Night Shift Lite vibe, not what I'm interested in

Will miss last year's show, probably check out another episode or two here, but hopes are not high

Edited by Margherita Erdman
damn autocorrect
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2016 at 11:34 PM, secnarf said:

[...]

Me too.  Saw it listed, and since there wasn't anything else to watch, particularly...

On 9/29/2016 at 1:53 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, I didn't see why Mama had to take the first year resident to do cleaning really dirty jobs, just because he asked if they had a lounge.

Because, you know, they're in Code Black (as usual), which isn't the the most diplomatic moment to ask if you can go take a nap.

------

Don't like Rob Lowe at all, and don't think much of the trope of introducing someone who was in Eye-wrack and is therefore the most shit-hot best at everything that anyone has ever seen.  The show went overboard to make the season premiere all Wowza!, with helicopters, shark attacks, an in-house injury to bring Xtra-crispy draaama, and so forth.  Surprised there wasn't a huge exploding fireball, somewhere along the line.  Unfortunately, all this failed to distract from the fact that they've dumped two beloved characters without a word, and slapped MGH in the face by suddenly and inexplicably putting Mr. WangHead the Surgeon above her.  (Because she was female?  White?  Older?  All three?)  I mean, why would you put a surgeon -- who presumably is inaccessible for hours at a time, in surgery -- in charge of an A&E department?  Which has instant-by-instant demands upon all the staff, including (one would think) the top decision-maker?

I liked this show last season, and am glad it's back.  I was also pleasantly surprised to see Rob Lowe - have loved him since West Wing.  Christa never did much for me, though I'm sad there is no Neal.

Lots of drama, but it kept me interested, so I'm in for the season.

I'm feeling the absence of Christa and Neal--I really liked them, together or apart, so I'm really annoyed that Mario survived to douche another day and Angus is more useless than anything. Why is either one still here? Why couldn't Mike replace poor bumbling Angus? I guess my main issue with this show now is that so many people are annoying to me. Angus, Mario, that 13 year old shark bite victim, the crepitus victim when she complained about the actress doctor, Boris Kodjoe (sadly). It's to the point where every shot of Mario and/or Angus annoys me, whether they're saying/doing anything or not. I'm pretty much here for MGH, Mama, Rob Lowe, and Charlotte (the latter two being on probation for the moment). I don't know what's in store for Mike, but I'm hoping he wakes up and returns to work with no issues.

I have to say, Mike falling out of the helicopter like that is totally a page out of Grey's Anatomy's book. Not that I'm particularly complaining, because I do get a kick out of Grey's anatomy.

I recognized Colin from Everwood as the groom. I'd lost track of him completely.

I liked Neal and wish he could return.  I could give or take Christa. However, they could have at least shown the viewers a bit of respect and explained their absence.  They ran off together, fired, eaten by the sharks. Something! 

Not liking the new 1st years. 

I like the addition of Rob Lowe, but his hair style is horrible!! He should go back to his "Grinder" look. 

• Love 3

I gave it a chance, too -- and I'll watch, mostly because I really like (:::waves at actual doctors and nurses, apologizing:::) the scenes of craziness when multiple patients and/or extremely critical patients come in.  And Rob Lowe is terrific at that kind of rapid fire professional stuff and I've missed seeing him do it since The West Wing.  Last season, I think a lot of us put up with the cheesier plotlines and/or hospital politics because of the grittier scenes and it looks like that will continue.

Seems like they're doing a reset: no mention at all of Neal (soooo sad) and Christa (meh), the head surgeon is much less of an ass, and the short female surgeon hasn't tried to have sex with anybody yet.

I'm thrilled they put MGH back in the action with Mama.  Don't you dare try and put her in an office again, show.

• Love 1

I was so excited that this had actually been renewed because usually shows I love get cancelled. But, I found this episode disappointing and hope it isn't a sign of how the season will go. Does anyone know why Christa and Neal left? Did the actors become unavailable or did the show decide to just drop them without a word of explanation? So weird since they were such a huge part of last season's arcs. I could live without her - maybe she left, heartbroken - but really liked him. The new residents introduced in this episode did nothing for me. It felt like every crop of new interns or doctors on ER or Grey's, nothing original or interesting. Everything was just "meh" for me tonight. Very sad since I looked forward to the return of this show for most of the summer. The most entertaining thing for me while watching this was listening to my teen daughter yell at the screen telling Kaya to stop being a "witch."

9 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Does anyone know why Christa and Neal left? Did the actors become unavailable or did the show decide to just drop them without a word of explanation?

The latter, but we suspect it's due to the fact that both actors are over 40 and therefore not desirable.

Why do you think Neal and Christa - both of whom are quite attractive - would be let go due to age?   Rob Lowe and Marcia Gay-Harden and Mama and others are all over 40 (and have been for quite a while).  The only "young" people on this show are the interns and residents.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

Why do you think Neal and Christa - both of whom are quite attractive - would be let go due to age?   Rob Lowe and Marcia Gay-Harden and Mama and others are all over 40 (and have been for quite a while).  The only "young" people on this show are the interns and residents.

Just guessing here, but it seems like they want to make room for the romantic arcs to go to the younger, "hotter" cast members, with the older ones there to teach and mentor and otherwise carry the actual hospital related stories. Better for ratings in the target demo? Stupid decision if you ask me, especially just making them disappear altogether. Neal may not have been a better teacher than Mama or Rorish or Willis, but he was a more interesting character - and nice to look at too, regardless of his relative age! 

• Love 3
On September 29, 2016 at 6:12 PM, babs1226 said:

I really like this show and always have.  I did not know about the cast changes they made, and I am disappointed that they didn't make any mention of where Neal and Christa went.  Maybe it will come up in future episodes?

I watched this show a lot last season but I didn't miss Neal or Christa at all; in fact I forgot who they even were.  

• Love 1