Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Insecure As F**k

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Shows like this, Broad City, and High Maintenance make me feel like mandating that ALL TV shows must start their lives as web series, the better to work out teething problems before arriving on the boob tube with sure voices. 'Cause this sure was an assured debut episode...

...although the use of a voiceover during the "what's on fleek?" moment threw me. Will that be a recurring device, or was it a one-off less-thought through thing? Admittedly, I have also been watching the marvellous Fleabag, which consistently has its main character break the fourth wall with direct glances to the camera, and that might be what's making me wish that Insecure experiments with form, or at least be consistent about the one it adopts.

Edited by Corgi-ears

In the wake of her 29th birthday, Issa Dee reconsiders her dead-end relationship with Lawrence, her live-in boyfriend. Meanwhile, Issa’s best friend, Molly, mourns her singledom and the state of her “lady parts.” Later, Issa uses an open-mic night as an excuse to reconnect with an ex.

Premieres on HBO on October 9, but available on HBO Now and On Demand now!

• Love 1

Saw it, loved it. As far as I'm concerned, Issa Rae is not only a star in the making, if she doesn't at least get nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Emmy for Best Actress In A Comedy next year, then there's no justice in the TV world. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I watched the pilot. I am not exactly sure if I like it

I watched the pilot and I'm sure I don't like it, and I went in all prepared to love it.  Maybe I couldn't relate because my friends and I don't call each other b*tch every 2 seconds and I don't know anybody who does.   For me, it just reinforced all of the rampant, negative stereotypes about black women.  I'm tired of hearing all that negative propaganda, and I sure didn't find any of it funny.

• Love 6

Yeah, the "bitch" thing was a bit much. Are there women who really talk to each other like that? I wonder if that was someone else's bright idea, because I don't remember her web series having that kind of a feel to it.

• Love 3
On Friday, October 07, 2016 at 10:33 AM, withanaich said:

Yeah, the "bitch" thing was a bit much. Are there women who really talk to each other like that? 

Yes.

But, beyond that, I always rally against the notion that show needs to go against stereotypes. I just know a lot of people who zero in on stereotypes but i dont do that. What i want is for shows to exhibit multiple types of people whether it be about race, gender or whatever. If everyone is acting one way then that is sending a message. The two leads are different people altogether even if they talk to each other a certain way sometimes. I know there aren't many shows that look like this on tv but all i ask writers to do is to stay true to their world. Of course, there are people who talk like that in the world. Preconceived stereotypes exist partially because they exist in the world already. I can choose to take or leave a show but I  just don't judge them on my own hangups is all I'm saying. No judgement. Just my worldview.

The pilot did a good job of establishing the dilemmas of the two leads and their characters. That's all I really needed it to do. It also made me laugh. They are also flawed people but not in a totally hateful way. I'm glad there was no cheating either. It's always hard for me to personally route for characters when they do that. 

• Love 10

Oh man, I enjoyed this.  Honestly the only expectation I had is that it might bear a passing resemblance to her web series.  It does... to an extent. But I had no expectation on how much I loved Molly's character.  I love shows that show competent professional women who are excellent in their work lives, even if their personal lives are a bit of a mess, I like it when it doesn't impact work.  I hope this stays true with Molly.  How effortlessly she manages the code switch (going from the $5.00 words in the boardroom to playing back-yard style dominoes with the blue collar guys in the basement).

Looking forward to see where it goes.

• Love 8

I loved it.. I think. My "On Demand" as the volume on this show insanely low. 

What I liked is that I recognized myself in the main character and I am a white woman so nice to see that we are all race neutral in our insecurity. <g> Laughed out loud a few times. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, BooBear said:

I loved it.. I think. My "On Demand" as the volume on this show insanely low. 

Mine did too, I had to turn it up to like 60.

Issa's delivery on "bitch, whetttt?" when Molly revealed that the guy she'd been seeing had texted her a sad face had me rolling.

• Love 1

I loved it.  I was a bit worried because the web series had my expectations so high, but it ended up being great.  There were a lot of moments that I definitely recognized, and I love that the characters are so fleshed out.  Issa and Molly's friendship is very believable, I can see them knowing each other for years.

I noticed Cici (from the original web series) at Issa's office!  Although it's too bad that she and Issa aren't playing besties like before, Molly is a great addition.

The only setback was them constantly calling each other "bitch."  Like, all the time.

• Love 1

I liked it, too.  I didn't follow the web series regularly but I wanted to check this out and I'm glad I did.

I say Bitch in normal conversation similar to how they used it, so of course that didn't bother me.  I do know people who it does bother though so I have to catch myself sometimes... lol

• Love 6
On 10/8/2016 at 8:43 PM, Racj82 said:

But, beyond that, I always rally against the notion that show needs to go against stereotypes. I just know a lot of people who zero in on stereotypes but i dont do that. What i want is for shows to exhibit multiple types of people whether it be about race, gender or whatever.

Oh, I don't have any problem with people behaving in stereotypical ways, as long as there are many types of people presented, like you said. (Which is why I don't have a problem with people casually using the N-word on Atlanta, which, until a few posters complained about, I honestly hadn't noticed.) I just had no clue that was a real way some women talk to each other. Not the fact that they were using the word "bitch" or even using it as a term of endearment, because I know that's a thing. It just really seemed like it was every other word out of their mouths. So less "bitch, you crazy" and more "Bitch, hold my bag bitch. I gotta pee, bitch. You know how it is, bitch. What time is the movie starting, bitch? I don't wanna be late, bitch." Just ... Jesus Christ. I had no idea. Maybe I'm old.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, withanaich said:

Oh, I don't have any problem with people behaving in stereotypical ways, as long as there are many types of people presented, like you said. (Which is why I don't have a problem with people casually using the N-word on Atlanta, which, until a few posters complained about, I honestly hadn't noticed.) I just had no clue that was a real way some women talk to each other. Not the fact that they were using the word "bitch" or even using it as a term of endearment, because I know that's a thing. It just really seemed like it was every other word out of their mouths. So less "bitch, you crazy" and more "Bitch, hold my bag bitch. I gotta pee, bitch. You know how it is, bitch. What time is the movie starting, bitch? I don't wanna be late, bitch." Just ... Jesus Christ. I had no idea. Maybe I'm old.

Trust me it happens but it's not bizarre to never have been around women throwing the word bitch around like it's going out of style. I see women in their 20s and 30s doing it quite often.

• Love 1

Full episode is on youtube, doubt it will be there forever. But it's on Issa's official page, and I learned about it from her verified twitter. Maybe someone without HBO will get a chance to enjoy it for free, legally. They say there isn't voiceover in any other episodes past the pilot, fyi.

I didn't notice them saying bitch every other sentence. So maybe it happens around me more than I notice in real life. I have a Ph.D in code switching, so both girls are quite relatable.

• Love 8
On Sunday, October 09, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Amethyst said:

I noticed Cici (from the original web series) at Issa's office!  Although it's too bad that she and Issa aren't playing besties like before, Molly is a great addition

You saw Cici! Let me go back and watch it again. I also need Baby voice Daryl (?), Fred and White Jay to show up at some point lol.

I also didn't notice them saying bitch an aggregious amount either <shrug>

I thought Baby Voice Darius was just about the funniest idea for a character.  He cracked me up every time. And the only person who could really hear him was Fred.

Regards the Bitch thing, I didn't even notice it.  But full disclosure, my GFs and I  call each other 'heifer' a lot.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2016 at 1:51 PM, LydiaMoon1 said:

Maybe I couldn't relate because my friends and I don't call each other b*tch every 2 seconds and I don't know anybody who does.

I almost turned the episode off during the opening cursing music.   Luckily it didn't last very long and I started watching the show.  The show is okay, but I would like more of Issa and less of everyone else.   When it got to the "broken pussy" song I was ready to shut it off again.   I've heard enough p-word this week.   Way too much cursing in general for me to watch.  I shut it off as soon as the ending Bitch music started.  I'll read about what the next episode is like, and see from there.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2016 at 6:20 AM, withanaich said:

The flagrant use of the N word on Atlanta didn't bug you, but "bitch" on this show did? Interesting. 

I stopped watching Atlanta because of it (and other reasons), but comparing the two words seems like apples/oranges. 

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 1

I compared them because they are two shows with young black leads and creators, that are getting flak for "stereotypical" language and behavior. It seems like the language on Atlanta, while not everyone's cup of tea (and I get that, because I don't listen to music that's just "n**ga n**ga n**ga" over a beat) is actually being utilized as a writing tool, and IMO it's far from flagrant. My problem with Insecure (one of them, anyway) is not that the word "bitch" is being used, but that it's being used allllll the time. It seems forced. Actually, the friendship between Molly and Issa seems forced. The best parts IMO are when she's interacting with ... literally anyone else. (Also the stuff like the Conjugal Visit show she was watching, and Lawrence's conversation with Thug Yoda.) I thought the actress playing Molly was the problem, but I actually don't mind watching her interact with other people too much either. 

This was OK for a pilot. I'm kind of into it but if I didn't have these all on the DVR, I probably wouldn't have kept up with the show week to week. I think after this episode I'm more interested in the potential of the series than anything that actually happened. Like, the kids were somewhere in between precocious and vicious and I sort of want to see where that goes. I liked how she handled herself in that meeting where she blurted out something and it wasn't this humilating gaff and it also wasn't this huge 'save the day' moment. She turned a blunder into a good moment but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't find her friend all that interesting. My favorite moments were just focused on Issa. When she was talking in voiceover about "on fleek" and being the token, when she playing with the lipsticks in the mirror, when she got on the mic at the club... I think the rest of the show is still figuring it out but I like her so far. Didn't laugh at anything during the episode and it's not a show where the look of it immediately grabs you. But I'm going to give it a shot. 

Edited to add one thing that bothered me is that the show is 30 minutes but there were a bunch of lines I missed. I feel like a lot of young actors now are so mush-mouthed. Even if I go back and rewatch the line I can't understand what's being said. 

Edited by aradia22

I just got done watching all of Season 1.    Loving this show.... all the characters touch on so many issues.    I hate especially those few times when I'm supposed to be the representative of all things 'black' at my job.     And you definitely have to switch it up when in the office.

Molly is my favorite character.    Oddly enough she kept giving Jill Marie Jones (Of 2000's UPN show Girlfriends) vibes.     And I always liked Toni the best of all the Girlfriends.... so that could be why I gravitated more towards her.