Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Ohmylord, *three* people (plaintiff and her two witnesses/moral supporters) kicked out of one case in this morning's rerun!

'Cause they were all trying to get some sex!

Same episode! Don't forget Ricky Laughlin and the time machine that took him back to 1990 to buy that 10-for-$10 sweater, dad jeans, and that swanky cop-stache he probably started growing when Reagan was elected to his first term.

No comments on how the mother was willing to shell out $700 for a prom dress?

Yeah.  Where do ordinary people get that kind of money?  On the other hand, the dress was white and lacy, so maybe it was going to double as a wedding dress, someday.

NYCFree, I'm also curious about the injury in the necklace case.  An injury that caused bleeding in the nether regions would need medical attention. 

And I'm curious about what JJ saw on the receipt for the necklace.  The woman's name was on the receipt, not the husband's?  I think JJ was so pissed at Ms. Crowfort's (?) side glances and smirking, she just decided to hell with it.  It was a really pretty necklace.

• Love 1

I am thinking I may need  to bail and not watch any more court shows.  I am sick and damned tired hearing about prom dresses, phones, and the like.

I get my (apparently) stupid ass self up EVERY morning at 5:30AM. I am 50+.  My knee hurts, my back hurts and my feelings got hurt when I was young.  BUT YET...

I put on jeans (without labels), put my shit in a Target handbag, followed by workboots (that no one gives a rats ass about).  Get in a VEHICKLE that is inspected, licensed and insured and go THE FUCK TO WORK. That is what we do.  GO THE FUCK TO WORK.

It sucks, no one promised it would be twinkies & unicorns. .

I do this 6 days a week,

BUT!  Get my check at the end of the week and 30% is POOF GONE!  Essentially I busted my ass for 2 days of the work week to finance tats, rims, weaves, babies, 4 wheelers, trailers, 10% on the dollar rent and other assorted life" requirements" Me, You , and Byrd...  Where is our politician?

My vote is with the politician, that finally says "get off your dead ass and GO THE FUCK TO WORK"

• Love 16

Well zillabreeze, you need to pay those taxes so that others can work the minimum possible so they can get a tax refund (which winds up being MORE than they actually had deducted from paychecks, somehow). So they can have people borrow them money that they can pay back with their tax refund, then after the fact gets described as a gift.

The entitled 21 ex-McDonald's "customer service" employee, who lost her job "over the course of this incident" she is in court for. Which is suing her uncle for putting her shit outside of her grandfather's house, in which she lived rent free (and utilities paid for I assume) to "maintenance" the house, which she allowed a leak from a burst water pipe leak for 7 days, during which she asked her uncle to stay with him. She is suing him for her crap, which he had to move outside so the house could be fixed from the week of damage she allowed to happen, because she expected him to haul it in his truck to a storage unit he was supposed to rent for her while she stayed at his house. I wanted to slap her SOOOO bad!

Edited by Decoda
  • Love 5

Hee-hee the prom talk is taking me back (waaay back).  I got married in my $20 prom dress (which happened to be white, just took off the blue bow).  Same fella what took me to said prom (in the school gym).  It'll be 45 yrs...yes, you read that right...Nov 28.

I sew and tried to make a dress one time for a customer.  Never happened again.  We wimmins can be difficult to work with sometimes......imjustsayin'

Made hubby watch Miss 'Tude in the too-tight animal print dress and we were crackin' up.  He used to work with a gal just like her....

• Love 10

That was "Rickie". Otherwise, you nailed it!

OMG! The spelling brings him full circle! "Rickie." Dear god.

About that bizarre prom/wedding dress: when I got married, I had no money. Like zero. We had a small reception, no band, no photographer. I paid $300 to someone to make my wedding dress. It was the ugliest thing I ever saw. No lie. But you know what? I put it on my broke self and got married. I didn't complain. I didn't sue. The lady who made it came to my wedding. And I moved on with my life.

Also, the girl didn't seem to be so aggrieved by it. She essentially said she had a good time at her prom. Mother didn't need to make it a national incident.

ETA:

How about their matching peplum tops? Really uncool.

Ha ha ha! They were atrocious. I wonder if they sued the person who made THEM? Edited by Guest

How on earth did such an injury take place during a first fight? Why do I want to know details?

I know I turned my brain off and didn't even try to figure it out. Considering the events and the nature of the participants, I'm sure I don't want to know.

I can't help thinking that for so many litigants (and so often it's women) who vandalize property, fly at each other over perceived disrespect, over some loser man or FB fights, a job would give them something else to think about and prevent them from having the time or energy for all this nasty shit.

zillabreeze - well said!

Essentially I busted my ass for 2 days of the work week to finance tats, rims, weaves, babies, 4 wheelers, trailers, 10% on the dollar rent and other assorted life" requirements" Me, You , and Byrd...  Where is our politician?

My vote is with the politician, that finally says "get off your dead ass and GO THE FUCK TO WORK"

Poor, overburdened Byrd! He really deserves a break.

• Love 7

JJ gave me the impression that she admired?/respected?/tolerated? plaintiff because he said he's employed, and bought and financed the truck himself. Meanwhile, JJ had open contempt for the defendants primarily (IMO) because they didn't seem as "together" in their maturity levels and financial independence as plaintiff seemed to be.

Didn't like the smirk on the civil engineer's face.  She pays thousands for designer fashions in October and needs to sell them two months later?  Because she needs money to pursue her Ph.D.?  But the consignment lady admitted she sold them and kept the money, just because . . . that smacked of collusion to get money from the show.

IMO both of these cases showed JJ's bias at its best/worst.  As mentioned, she was so impressed with the plaintiff's claim that he was paying for his $10,000 truck AND working, she instantly endowed him with qualities he didn't necessarily have.  When the women who supposedly ran the consignment shop said she made $20,000 last year JJ accepted this without a word, instead of her usual, "you can support a family on that".  In fact, she didn't ask a lot of questions, especially about that sketchy looking "contract".  I feel it was because the two women were well spoken, educated and thankfully non-violent (a nice change). 

I too think there was collusion in this case, but from Judge Judy's point of view maybe it was just a refreshing change and she could let her bias fly.

• Love 3

As mentioned, she was so impressed with the plaintiff's claim that he was paying for his $10,000 truck AND working, she instantly endowed him with qualities he didn't necessarily have.

On this show, those qualities are rare as hen's teeth, and at this point I now am also impressed all to hell when anyone says (in unmangled English) that they work for a living and buy their own shit in their own name, yet.

• Love 6

The most bothersome part about the prom dress case wasn't even the special snowflake thing.  It was my impression that said snowflake wanted whatever bragging rights she thinks would be associated with saying it was couture.  I mean that term doesn't have to mean designer, it technically just refers to an "only one of its kind".    I couldn't figure out why, with a budget of $700, which by the way would've been a gorgeous off the rack from any Nordstrom or Bergdoff's in the land, they'd insisted on having a dress made.  a) I don't believe they paid her $700 for that shit, it was made of curtain lace, polyester and mesh net, at best that thing cost $68.17 to make including the leftover bolts of fabric; and b) this was after the mother had previously contracted with another seamstress.   See what you get when the goal is to one up your friends?    May 6th for a May 15th prom is still PLENTY of time to shop for a dress, I wish JJ had gotten at them about that.    I giggled when in the halterview she went from Miss Scarlett all the way back to dry tear ducts in the span of 4 seconds.  

I don't know where in the watching universe I am so forgive if it's not current, but the case of the insurance agent whose employee, lawd help, stoled, money from her clients.   Certain wrong words bother me more than others, but they all bother.  I kept thinking back to the case where a litigant used the word "boughten" and JJ didn't even let her finish her sentence before she'd snapped:  there's no such a thing.  Funny part is, there is such a thing, it's just not in common use anymore.   

Can't say I didn't learn something though.  I had no idea that so many people pay for their insurance in cash.

• Love 5

Zaldamo, I had to turn off the case of the stoleded insurance money because I couldn't stand the plaintiff's voice, or the way she slaughtered the English language. Was she eventually able to prove her claim?

• Love 3

Well zillabreeze, you need to pay those taxes so that others can work the minimum possible so they can get a tax refund (which winds up being MORE than they actually had deducted from paychecks, somehow). So they can have people borrow them money that they can pay back with their tax refund, then after the fact gets described as a gift.

Don cha know somebody's got to pay for those big screen TVs and "real" leather sofa sets where the frames break the minute anybody over 150 pounds sits on them? (good thing cos that "leather" is probably so cheap that it will start smelling like a cow patty after a few months anyways). 

I've sewn for probably 40 years. I've made clothing and costumes and I STILL will not sew for anybody outside of my family. It's not worth dealing with the customers who don't value custom work. Heck I don't even hem pants for people. They think their Grandma can do it so it shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks and a dozen cookies. 

BTW speaking of cheapness my D and SIL went to a "destination" wedding over the weekend. They drove about 8 hours out of state so my SIL could be the best man in a very small wedding for a relative (on his side). They did get a sheet of paper the night before with the menu for the reception so their food could be ordered at the restaurant. So they show up after the ceremony, after paying for their hotel, outfits, gas, etc and each ordered a drink and their meal (burritos) and afterwards were promptly presented with a bill for $58 for their meal by the staff! Apparently they paid for their own reception meals! (but he did get a personalized koozie for participating in the wedding!) 

• Love 5

Zaldamo, I had to turn off the case of the stoleded insurance money because I couldn't stand the plaintiff's voice, or the way she slaughtered the English language. Was she eventually able to prove her claim?

Girl.  Talk about painful.  Get this, she was so in her damn feelings and non-words that she totally missed JJ basically stopping the case to tell her she'd suspend her ruling until old girl was able to go and get proof that her client's policy had been terminated (the evidence she'd submitted up to that point was a letter from liberty mutual or whoever saying that client was in danger of cancellation a suspension notice maybe?).  Anyway Judy just 'bout said if you get me the finalized version of this, saying her policy was in fact cancelled, that will satisfy me as to proof that he took money that never made it to the insurer.   What does our nobel laureate do? Go on for sentences about how that's the dmv notice and it's the same thing and she can't get anything from insurance company.   At the moment when I think JJ is about to be like fuck it, your case is dismissed, verdict for the defendant, she explains the plaintiff's other option - to file a police report - the cops would have to investigate and as part of the investigation - they'd likely come across and include papers certifying her clients' policy cancellations.   After having patiently taken the time to go through the options, JJ asks which she'd like to exercise.   Plaintiff goes: yeah I'll go to the police.  JJ says I just told you I'd basically rule in your favor and use this case as representative of all your other clients as well.  You sure you don't want to just get me a copy of the policy cancellation?   Mensanetta says:  Oh sure, yeah I can do that.

Bitch?

K66xp.gif

• Love 3

I didn't like that ruling.  JJ never allowed the defendant to even present a case.  She just focused on that the lady (whose individual situation was allowed to represent a whole class) paid money, had a receipt from the defendant and then her insurance was cancelled.  Defendant was trying to say that his desk and the vault were under video surveillance, but JJ didn't care.  He was done in by his mother being willing to pay the plaintiff back and apparently having stolen before. 

My problem was that JJ missed a step or two.  It needed to be explained what was supposed to happen with the money after payment was made by the woman.  What was supposed to happen next?  How were payments supposed to be made?  By whom?  How did the brokerage not receive notice before it got to the DMV cancellation stage that payments are due and we are about to cancel policies?  Just because payment was not made doesn't automatically mean the defendant is responsible.  Was it his job to pay?  Was the money received logged into a ledger?  The next steps to prove he had control of the money when it went missing, if it went missing (just because not paid, doesn't necessarily mean the money was taken; could have been faulty accounting) were not discussed. 

The plaintiff did not give off a professional appearance, so maybe the fault was on her end due to mismanagement and did not involve theft but incompetence.  Repeatedly saying "stoled" and obviously thinking that it was correct and her overall demeanor and attitude, show her not to be someone with whom I would want to do business.  Makes no sense if he was caught already stealing why she would keep him on and still allow him to handle money.  I just didn't buy it and don't think JJ should have either.  Why didn't she force the plaintiff, like she usually does in such cases, to make a police report if she wants to recover?

Speaking of cases where JJ doesn't allow a defense to be presented before ruling for the plaintiff.  There was a weekend rerun involving a mother suing her daughter, who was jointly on her bank account, for overdraft charges.  JJ elaborately and unnecessarily tore paper up to show the daughter the $750 that she stole from her mother (unexplained was that the bank took the overdraft money from the mom's other account, which was where JJ was going with the paper representation of $750 being taken from mom's account to replace your overdraft).  The daughter only got to say that the mother was supposed to have taken her name off the account.  Outside in the hall there was a whole story about a crib the mother was supposed to have bought that never came up while JJ was lecturing the daughter that she "stole" $750 from the mother.  The only questioning JJ did was of the daughter's ten plus years older boyfriend, as to why he received social security (you know you are going to lose when that is JJ's issue even though it is not relevant to this situation).  First off, I don't consider overdrafting an account and the bank replacing it from another account "stealing" exactly and second, even if frivolous, the daughter was entitled to a defense, not to be repeatedly screamed at by JJ that what she did was stealing, end of story.  She, just like the insurance case defendant, had stories to tell, but neither were allowed to tell them.  I dislike when JJ does that-so superior she knows her decision and the defendant can't even make an argument.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 5

Today's episode with the sisters and an $800 loan for a car -- has JJ ever been that loose before?  When the boyfriend wanted to clarify the relationship, JJ says (paraphrasing) "I don't really care, this is called softening, I'm getting background to keep the audience interested."  And then she asks what the scheming sisters (who lived together) talked about before they got on the plane.  "Round trip plane tickets, hotel, we fed you -- what did you talk about?" 

It was fun to listen to, but it cracked that fourth wall, made me wonder if JJ's getting bored with it all, or especially bored with the JJ scammers.

The chick with the dead Lexus and the mechanic with his jaw wired shut (?) were fun too.  I think the mechanic got screwed.

• Love 2

1st case: I can't. Watch your damn dogs! And learn to answer questions straight ahead.

2nd case: Yet another lesson in why you're not supposed to loan adults money for shit they should have on their own. Seriously, people. A place to stay, a mode of transportation, food to eat, clothes to wear: these should be things you are able to provide for yourself. Make sure you have these things before 1) having kids, 2) finding a boo, and/or 3) asking for a loan.

3rd case: Did Byrd just come out of character? "Y'all waitin' on me?" LOL. And we're two for three with dumbass defendants. His voice sounded like a foghorn that's out of tune. JJ was trying to trip up the plaintiff but she was able to prove her case. Good for her.

4th case: Wow, not only does this dude share the same birthday with President Obama, but he kinda sounds like him, too. And as a typical Leo, he likes buying fly shit for a chick to win their affection. Yet another guy who hasn't heard "Loyal" by Chris Brown. I mean, y'all are gonna get enough of buying shit for affection. If it's a woman you're just "talking to" and she wants an iStone XVI or whatever, and she can't obtain one on her own, you're gonna have to go to the gas station and buy you one of those bullshit flip phones with a soda and be like, fuck it. Or you can do like I do and find a busy corner to work. I have a struggle and it is real.

5th case: Nancy McKeon's ass isn't still getting royalty checks from Facts of Life? Damn. Give your daughter her money back! But at least they hugged it out at the end.

Edited by CuriousParker
Removed Objectional Content
  • Love 5

Only saw one case so far: "IPhone" means "I love you."

Mr. Huff was one of very few men we see in this position, normally inhabited by foolish and desperate women. He meets the defendant in some bar (always the best place to find True Love) and two weeks later buys her an IPhone, as what else can convey really deep feelings? But wait! Shortly thereafter a NEW IPhone appears on the market, so he buys her that one!

Ms. Sancho-Bonet decides she's "uncomfortable" with him (only after the 2 new phones) and declines the romantic, whirlwind trip to Houston with him, but goes on her own and continues her pasttime of bar-hopping - and presumably hooking up -  there (maybe yet another new IPhone has appeared on the market?). On his dime. He gets his $200-odd dollars back and that's IT!

• Love 2

The moron defendant with the pit bulls was SO enjoyable!  "He came AT my door"  "She came AT me".  It was clear JJ was at the end of her rope with this guy, but he persisted in umming and ehring between her sentences.  I don't know if he was stoned or just bone-stupid.

• Love 4

Oh, my God, that first case where the woman (who is apparently too much of a stupid blonde to be able to deal with car dealers, "Be sure to take a man with you"), got away with murder.  Apparently if I go and buy a beater car that needs more work than the value of the car, and get all of that work done, I don't have to pay for it?  Or would that only be if I were a stupid blonde female?

• Love 7

Rick, I agree with you about the blonde.  Did JJ even ask the mechanic for a copy of his bill, to show what he'd done to the car?  It had to be towed to his shop but she was able to drive it home.  So obviously he did some work. 

Then she misunderstands about a "new" engine -- was she really planning to put a new engine in an 18-year-old car?  Her boyfriend looks at the motor, says "it's not new, you were cheated", and she decides to sue. 

This might have been a case where there was more in the complaint than what we saw, but if he rebuilt her engine for $1700, she got a deal.  It sounded like he was ready to explain the other things that were wrong with the car but JJ was getting bored. 

Does Blondie think the motor is the only thing that can go wrong?

• Love 8

too much of a stupid blonde to be able to deal with car dealers, "Be sure to take a man with you"), got away with murder

I think I blocked that one out. This bimbo buys an 18 year old car that's such a mess it has to be towed to her house cuz she and equally brain dead b/f REALLY want a Lexus but can't afford a real one. Whatever, she can't bother her pretty little head about all these man-things, like mechanics and stuff. Ladies, take a man with you when car shopping! Only a MAN would know not to buy a car with a blown engine, that's reached its age of majority and needs to be dragged around.

But apparently HER man is just as much of an idiot as she is. The worst part of all this is that she - a Sainted Single Mother - has a daughter she's going to raise to be just as much of an airheaded fool as she is.

• Love 7

I noticed this gem in the one with the sister who borrowed money.  JJ says "So, you live with your sister?" 

She says "No, She lives with me"  "I have a 6-yr old!"

That to me, is the epitome of entitledness.  I have a child so of COURSE I have a house!

And, Yes, Judy, people (with children) can get tax money back EVEN IF they didn't earn any money!

*bitter*

• Love 7

The plaintiff in the iPhone/plane ticket case had me a bit a-flutter today!!

When he first walked in I thought he looked like Giancarlo Esposito....and that voice!! Hhmmmmmmmm ...

I slapped myself upside the head - this how we gals end up on Judge Judy after forking over thousands in "loans".....

• Love 2

Did the plaintiff-sister say, "...to embetteren my education..."? My closed caption says " to better my education", but there is no way she said that.

It sounded like that to me too.  She was getting ahead of herself, having rehearsed that answer on the flight from Flint, and I think she ended up combining "better employment" with "education". 

• Love 1

Did the plaintiff-sister say, "...to embetteren my education..."? My closed caption says " to better my education", but there is no way she said that.

Oh, this is Judge Judy litigant though. Language mangling is an art form on this show.

Loved how she was identified as a "college student." For a second, before she took the stand, I thought she was 22. Then the close up came and...oh, hello 45-year old!

The moron defendant with the pit bulls was SO enjoyable!  "He came AT my door"  "She came AT me".  It was clear JJ was at the end of her rope with this guy, but he persisted in umming and ehring between her sentences.  I don't know if he was stoned or just bone-stupid.

I'm voting for bone-stupid.  In the hallterview he said, "Watch out for people like her dog."

Indeed.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 6

I particularly enjoyed the discussion of "wife" and "kids".  I know what he meant, but it was pretty funny.

• Love 5

I think she ended up combining "better employment" with "education".

Kind of like the litigant who combined "bruised" and "abused" to make "abruised!" "He abruised me." Actually, that's a good word to have handy on this show. Saves time.

The woman in the audience with the big purple lips was distracting me in the fascinating case of the battle over an $800 POS car.

• Love 3

Kind of like the litigant who combined "bruised" and "abused" to make "abruised!" "He abruised me." Actually, that's a good word to have handy on this show. Saves time.

The woman in the audience with the big purple lips was distracting me in the fascinating case of the battle over an $800 POS car.

Oh God!  The big purple lips!  I thought maybe it was the color going out on our TV...

• Love 2

Only saw one case so far: "IPhone" means "I love you."

Mr. Huff was one of very few men we see in this position, normally inhabited by foolish and desperate women. He meets the defendant in some bar (always the best place to find True Love) and two weeks later buys her an IPhone, as what else can convey really deep feelings? But wait! Shortly thereafter a NEW IPhone appears on the market, so he buys her that one!

Ms. Sancho-Bonet decides she's "uncomfortable" with him (only after the 2 new phones) and declines the romantic, whirlwind trip to Houston with him, but goes on her own and continues her pasttime of bar-hopping - and presumably hooking up -  there (maybe yet another new IPhone has appeared on the market?). On his dime. He gets his $200-odd dollars back and that's IT!

Ms. Sancho-Bonet is clearly used to meeting guys in bars who buy her stuff (and being able to keep said stuff). She looked incredulous when JJ ruled that she would need to reimburse the smooth-voiced and smitten Mr. Huff for her "mini-vacation".

She is a pretty girl, but that magenta lipstick does her no favors.

• Love 3

The big purple lips!  I thought maybe it was the color going out on our TV...

Nope, not your TV. I don't usually notice anyone in the audience and only look if someone here has pointed out someone a bit bizarre, but those lips! They actually seemed to be flourescent - a great big pair of shiny, glowing lips floating around. Eek.

Ms. Sancho-Bonet is clearly used to meeting guys in bars who buy her stuff

That's why I mentioned her feeling "uncomfortable" (which today is the all-purpose bullshit excuse for avoiding any and all responsibility for anything you do - "I wasn't comfortable with the landlord so I stopped paying the rent"/ "I was uncomfortable with the car dealer so I didn't finish paying for my VEEhickle".) because she certainly was comfortable taking expensive gifts from some guy who picked her up in a bar two weeks previously.

• Love 5

I watched plaintiff-sister after reading the posts here, so I was paying particular attention to how she described her career path. She may have mumbled a bit, but did say "better my education". Sorry to disappoint.

• Love 2
But apparently HER man is just as much of an idiot as she is.

Many years ago, I worked as a service writer. Men THINK they know about cars. 90% of them do NOT.

And if you blow an engine in a car, you are not getting a new one unless you order it very specifically. They are rare. And they got a major bargain for the rebuilt engine they got. 

That was a weird case. Really wanted a shitty Lexus, I guess. 

• Love 4
And they got a major bargain for the rebuilt engine they got.

A REAL deal, especially since JJ gave them every nickel back from the mechanic.  He took an absolute screwing on the deal.  She drove it home and didn't complain for a week (I think).

JJ's bullshit reasoning seemed to be that it was somehow the mechanics moral obligation to NOT fix the old beater, even if they insisted.  REALLY?  Does she watch her own show?  Mechanic said all they cared was that it was a Lexus.  How many times have we seen rims worth more than the car they were put on?  

Once again, JJ  proves my theory that technical and mechanical things confuse her and she lashes out at the litigants.

• Love 10

technical and mechanical things

Yeah, I remember a car crash case where she didn't believe a defendant's description of what happened. She (Judge Judy, just to be clear) tried to make a conservation of momentum argument and she seemed proud of it. Unfortunately, she was completely wrong.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 7

Episode 1, Case 1

Double ponytail alert.  They're not bald guys, though. One is graying and the other is braided. Both look ridiculous.

Episode 1, Case 2

The plaintiff in this case (Joisha) had good fashion sense and a terrific pair of shoes (and I'm not even one of those shoe fanatic types. She had cute 'young person' style). Her boyfriend had a smart-looking sweater on. They were a cute couple. Joisha was suing her former roommate (Amanda) for unpaid rent. Amanda said that she left the apartment before the lease was up because Joisha was jealous once when she was watching TV with her boyfriend. Even members of the courtroom audience were giving the WTF face at that, but Joisha, indeed, revealed herself to be a green-eyed monster in the hallterview.

Episode 2, Case 1

The plaintiffs had a last name that sounded like midwesterners saying the word 'emoji.' They were suing for water damage done to a rental property. The basement had a history of water leaking through the walls. The Emoji brothers said that the defendant. Mr. Carmona, hooked up a washing machine incorrectly, and it flooded the whole basement. Carmona said he bought a dryer only...no washer. A few minutes later, he shot himself in the foot by telling JJ that he did all of his laundry at the laundromat. (Yes, I know some folks could bring the wet stuff home with them, but come on...get real). Carmona was a liar and his wife was mouthy. But I do think the plaintiffs thought that a coat of paint cured all damages, leaks, and mold. I think there was just a mixture of confusion, denial, and lies on both sides of this case.

• Love 3

The landlord-tenant case was a mess.  The brothers rented the house a month after buying it, in a foreclosure sale.  I believe some of what Carmona said -- except for the laundromat.  I think there was an old, non-working washer in the house -- we saw it in the photo -- and that he bought a new set.  I think he lied about the laundromat because he was afraid that JJ might believe that the water damage was from a washer not draining properly, and that she'd think it was his fault because maybe he hooked it up incorrectly.

JJ changed her tone somewhat after the break, after she saw the photos Carmona's wife gave her.  And I think Carmona's wife was trying to say that the brothers didn't have homeowner's insurance.  The renter's insurance claim probably wasn't pursued because the stuff that was damaged wasn't worth claiming.  Looked like a pile of clothes and blankets and crap. 

Whatever the truth was, the house looked like a pit.  One of the brothers said it was "gorgeous".  Nuh uh.  Not even for Gary, Indiana. 

• Love 2
The plaintiffs had a last name that sounded like midwesterners saying the word 'emoji.' They were suing for water damage done to a rental property. The basement had a history of water leaking through the walls. The Emoji brothers said that the defendant. Mr. Carmona, hooked up a washing machine incorrectly, and it flooded the whole basement. Carmona said he bought a dryer only...no washer. A few minutes later, he shot himself in the foot by telling JJ that he did all of his laundry at the laundromat. (Yes, I know some folks could bring the wet stuff home with them, but come on...get real). Carmona was a liar and his wife was mouthy. But I do think the plaintiffs thought that a coat of paint cured all damages, leaks, and mold. I think there was just a mixture of confusion, denial, and lies on both sides of this case.

Ha! Emoji.

I thought this was another example of someone being a hustler and JJ missing it because she's not right all the time like she thinks she is. First of all, the brother who owned the house bought it as a foreclosure and moved tenants into it almost as soon as he could. He didn't have homeowner's insurance, and he took out a renter's insurance policy for them and just asked him to "pay him back on it". Riiight. I think he probably would've had to have done some work to it prior to getting a homeowner's policy, and he didn't want to pay for it, so instead he went through State Farm and signed them up for a renter's insurance policy, so that anything that happened he could claim it as damage done by the renters. I bet that's probably a big reason why he even took them to court.

It doesn't make sense that he would take out renter's insurance for them but not have landlord or homeowner's insurance for himself...especially if he's going to turn around and sue them for damage to his house. And State Farm sending them that form letter doesn't mean the claim is still open; if anything, it's proof he's shady because why does he have the policy and proof of payment and all they have is the letter saying they tried to reach them? I don't know. And I don't rent (no shade) so I don't know if it works the same way as, say, car insurance, but what if a renter's property is damaged because of structural deficiencies in their dwelling? Couldn't they go after the homeowner for reimbursement?

• Love 5
Carmona was a liar and his wife was mouthy.

She seemed to be short a few teeth as well, which hinders not at all her mouthiness. Ismael's ssmooth and somewhat slimy demeanour made me think that perhaps squatting is nothing new to them. If you can't pay rent on even a crummy dump like that, maybe having three kids wasn't the best idea.

Linda Landon, who was confused by Park/Drive and Gas/Brake seemed so indignant at the suggestion that she was drunk at 9:30 a.m. but really, she appeared to be drunk during her appearance here. She might want to pursue a career in pantomime, judging by her exaggerated expressions and gestures.

• Love 8

We have two relatives whose homeowner's insurance was cancelled because they didn't make repairs to the roofs on their houses.  House roofs are like car windshields -- the insurance companies will make it cheap and easy to keep those two things in good repair, because they're really important for maintaining the house and protecting the occupants of the car. 

I wish JJ had asked what they paid for the house. 

• Love 3