Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Because that dude was standing there with this stupid, smug look on his face, licking his lips like a crackhead, and can't remember shit about the last time he was with her.

OH gawd. A rerun, but I recognized him right away, with the lip-licking and sucking them in after every single muddled, foolish reply he gave. I had to turn it off. I just couldn't take him.

Last week I was listening to the Handel on the Law podcast and a caller said that he was on Judge Judy with his father and the case involved windows being put in the house.  It seems the small claims case the father had filed was still on the court calendar and going ahead. The son wanted to know what to do. Bill explained that the court shows were a binding arbitration and that he needed to get that paperwork from the Judge Judy show and present it to the court. The son also said he was not speaking with the father and had no contact with him.  That must be the case we just saw.

• Love 2

There's talk all over my small town about a local guy who was on the show.  He was suing because a neighbor got some weed spray on his car and damaged the paint.  I've been all over Judge Judy's website looking for the video -- nothing, going back to the first of November.

Does anyone remember a case like that?  It's possible it hasn't aired yet. 

There's talk all over my small town about a local guy who was on the show.  He was suing because a neighbor got some weed spray on his car and damaged the paint.  I've been all over Judge Judy's website looking for the video -- nothing, going back to the first of November.

Does anyone remember a case like that?  It's possible it hasn't aired yet.

I have not seen it, and I've been viewing pretty regularly.
  • Love 1

Fixer Upper of Estrangement: The dad was trying very hard to repress his inner dick and sound like a reasonable person.  "Focus!  Focus! Don't show signs of true self!"  - it was of no use, he had no verbal contract.  His son the defendant was ready to burst, too, going as far as drinking the water to distract himself.  Sure there is a lot of hurt, but if your only father is a douche, then it sucks for him and his old age and everyone goes separate ways.

OK, help me out here, please.

I really don't pay attention too finance, usually, but this stuck out to me {if I heard it correctly}.  Together, they make around $44,000,  and were able to qualify for a mortgage of over $600,000.???? Did I hear that correctly?  Is that normal?  Is that even do-able on that salary?  What would the monthly payments  be?  Granted, math and I don't get along, so I'm just wondering if I'm off base here.

Together, they make around $44,000,  and were able to qualify for a mortgage of over $600,000.????

IIRC, he said the house was $91500.00. Probably a forclosure, which is why it needed work.

ETA: He said the mortgage was $600 a month, so maybe that's why you got the impression the house was 600K.

Edited by AngelaHunter

In the vintage weekend episode – Jamal was a very sharply dressed man but I have a smallish TV and was straining to figure out who the black man painted onto his tie was.
Please vote. It was:

Himself
Richard Pryor
Al Sharpton
Random happy dude
Other

Also the only people I have ever seen on neckties are Hula girls. Is this a thing now for a man to have another man or himself painted onto his tie?  Jamal didn’t look like the type to make fashion faux pas.

• Love 1

Dojo Mama needs to learn not to look down her nose when she's talking to people, particularly to Judge Judy.  It's off-putting.

The martial arts "school" owners were full of it too. I watch NHK World which is the Japanese English Language station. Dojo Mom had a point that the writing was different. But Pseudo-Sensei's explanation about the difference was BS, so it made me wonder about the quality of marital arts being taught.

In the vintage weekend episode – Jamal was a very sharply dressed man but I have a smallish TV and was straining to figure out who the black man painted onto his tie was.

It was Jimi Hendrix.

• Love 1

I couldn't stand Jamal's GF. Why didn't she do the decorating and let him pick up his kid? Or was Jamal's license still suspended? JJ is so correct about women (and men) who get all involved with their partner's kids and the dealings with the child's other bio parent.  "It's not your child, it's not your business"

• Love 4

Appliances as gifts case:  Their stuff was so old, they probably spent more money getting their court documents notarized.  That was just a petty fight caused by the jealous feelings between the two women.  That guy definitely has a type...both women were so similar, right down to having the same facial droop near their mouths.

For the red-haired man and the dyed red-haired boss...I didn't love JJ's ruling regarding him being forced to buy tools from a particular place.  If the guy already had the necessary tools (and can prove to her they are in good working order), and he really needed the job, I see why he has a gripe.  JJ was just like, "well, don't take the job."  I know that, legally, that is a way to dismiss his complaint...but the guy needed to earn a paycheck, and the boss surely wasn't interested in reimbursing him for purchasing new tools.  

Uninsured car accident case - I wish people would brush their hair regularly.  I'm pretty sure I know why she's moving to Colorado.  "I was going slow because it's hard to shift the gears {makes a stick shift motion}; it's an automatic."  Uhh, it was an automatic?  I'm betting she was somehow impaired and wanted to go touch the snow or pet a wild rabbit or something.  Daniel liked the idea, so she came to a dead stop in the middle of the curvy road and then moved to the side at a snail's pace.  Like JJ said, "she shouldn't have been driving that day."  Boyfriend Daniel was a complete dick and the two of them seemed to get fired up easily, with all the under-the-breath comments, etc.  What was the ruling in that case?  It happened so quickly I missed it.  Was it $50 awarded to her?

"What else did he leave in the storage unit?"

"Oh God, an overcooked George Foreman."

• Love 1
"What else did he leave in the storage unit?"

"Oh God, an overcooked George Foreman."

I'm concerned for the defendant in this case---the sista with the short natural. Maybe there was a language/cultural barrier, but the way the plantiff kept saying "We're going to take this to the next level" gave me the creeps. I thought her face continued to register a stress-reaction even after she won.

Regarding the lady who had her car repossessed because she missed a payment.  Is that not a huge bonus for the guy who gets the whole car back even tho she has been paying hundreds a month for it. 

Is it never considered equity what you put into the car?  I know JJ likes to say consider you rented the car - but 400 a month is a lot of rent on an older car.

So he gets the car back plus damage recovery because she wrecked the seat and the carpets.  Seems to me like he got a BO-Nanza!!

Thank God I don't know anything about repossessions, but this seemed odd to me too. I get that he can repo the car because she missed the payment, and she loses the money she put into it, but the logical flipside to that is that he gets the car as-is. It's not like she was on a lease where she agreed to be responsible for damages. If the car needed tires or brakes or other work, it wouldn't be her responsibility any longer, so I don't get why she was held responsible for the seat.

• Love 2

I'm concerned for the defendant in this case---the sista with the short natural. Maybe there was a language/cultural barrier, but the way the plantiff kept saying "We're going to take this to the next level" gave me the creeps. I thought her face continued to register a stress-reaction even after she won.

I wish I had a DVR and could watch it again.  I remember that the plaintiff was odd.  I wonder if he got more agitated when the defendant gave all the details of his storage items that still had food on them...he appeared to be the type of guy who wanted to look so fresh & so clean.

• Love 1

Appliances as gifts case: Their stuff was so old, they probably spent more money getting their court documents notarized. That was just a petty fight caused by the jealous feelings between the two women. That guy definitely has a type...both women were so similar, right down to having the same facial droop near their mouths.

They were SISTERS. WTF?! And the Defendant Sister had a serious case of misplaced uppity syndrome. Man, she could not stop poking her nose in the air, overcome by some delusions of grandeur that SHE won the war to date the hottest hoarder in the trailer park. God, just wanted to smack that smirk off her face. .

Edited by Guest

They were SISTERS. WTF?! And the Defendant Sister had a serious case of misplaced uppity syndrome. Man, she could not stop poking her nose in the air, overcome by some delusions of grandeur that SHE won the war to date the hottest hoarder in the trailer park. God, just wanted to smack that smirk off her face. .

Holy Smokes!  Sisters!  My phone rang at the start of the case, and I missed that whopper of info.  

And the sisters let THAT mister get between them?  Yuck.

(edited)

Air Gigolo: Seems like Captain Heather's Dad was quite the multi-tasking womanizer.  He probably took the $5000 to buy an extravagant gift for another girlfriend.  I am glad the talking mummy got her money back.

Rent-To-Own Squatter: I didn't believe a single of the accusations the squatter was tossing in the hallterview, the landlord seemed genuinely outraged and pissed off.    Squatter tried to turn the mobile home into the Alamo?

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 2

Air Gigolo: Seems like Captain Heather's Dad was quite the multi-tasking womanizer.  He probably took the $5000 to buy an extravagant gift for another girlfriend.  I am glad the talking mummy got her money back.

The slick talking, con artist and unlikely Lothario made me want to just punch him. He's another one profiting from the apparent epidemic of desperation in the female population. I'm glad plaintiff got her money back too, but FFS! if I were a sainted "single mother" the last thing I would EVER do is give that shyster (or any man) 5K!! or 1K or fifty goddam cents. Get your head screwed on right, woman.

Ms. Gigantic Chin, who appeared to be kinda toothless, squatting in a rent-to-own 6K palatial trailer? So picture perfect, and I think this must be the apex of squatting cases. I was so hoping she didn't have kids, but was disappointed on that score.

• Love 4

SUNSHINE!!!

Some reruns never get old. Ah, Sunshine - fair maiden whose honour was sullied by landlord lifting her skirt. I know you'll never overcome the trauma, Sunny, but do you really think that (if it ever happened) releases your puky, slow-thinking lovah from his debts?

The very very bestest thing about this show is how good it makes me feel about my own life.

• Love 4

The very very bestest thing about this show is how good it makes me feel about my own life.

A friend thinks shows like JJ (and Springer and Cops even the Real Housewives franchises) are part of the government plot to keep us off the streets.  We look at the sad lives of the very poor and the very rich and we're happy not to be them.  So the revolution waits for another day. 

Me, I just hope that some of Judge Judy's grammar lessons sink in. 

• Love 9

Some reruns never get old. Ah, Sunshine - fair maiden whose honour was sullied by landlord lifting her skirt. I know you'll never overcome the trauma, Sunny, but do you really think that (if it ever happened) releases your puky, slow-thinking lovah from his debts?

And her beer-bellied beau acted like Sunshine was the brains, claiming that she was better with details than he was.  I guess he and Sunshine decided that she was the better liar, so he'd play dumb about numbers and such.  It was perfect when JJ said, with both disgust and relish, "SIT DOWN, SUNSHINE."

• Love 2

Me, I just hope that some of Judge Judy's grammar lessons sink in.

I feel your pain, but that is not going to happen. These days, if anyone dares to expect a person to be able to put together a simple sentence in his/her own language, they're reviled as "Grammar Nazis."

I don't understand it at ALL. If I had said, "He ain't got none" even in kindergarten I would have been sharply corrected, but we hear adults speaking that way all the time on JJ and the reactions to being corrected are gape-jawed "Duhh? Huhhh?" moronic stares.

Communication in the future will be reduced to grunts and illiterate "texes". I weep.

ETA:

so he'd play dumb about numbers and such.

I don't think he was playing.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 6
The slick talking, con artist and unlikely Lothario made me want to just punch him. He's another one profiting from the apparent epidemic of desperation in the female population. I'm glad plaintiff got her money back too, but FFS! if I were a sainted "single mother" the last thing I would EVER do is give that shyster (or any man) 5K!! or 1K or fifty goddam cents. Get your head screwed on right, woman.

I know, man. Sometimes I wish I had game where I could just tell a woman anything and get her to pay my bills. I've got like one pick-up line ("damn shorty...uh, you look sick nice") and then if she rejects me I get in my feelings and start talking about her ("well I didn't want you anyway! You probably don't even wash your ass!"). What can I say, I'm a charmer.

But this guy...well, not only was he hooking up with this lady, but apparently she was paying for the hotel rooms they were using to sex it up. Shit, wish I would.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 6

Captain Joe "Lothario" Schoofs, aka Heather's Dad...there are no words! If I were Heather, I'd be pissed.

It's the first time I've ever heard of a "down on his luck" airline pilot! I suppose anything's possible. Internet dating sites are full of slick talkers like old Cap'n Joe. All hot air and no substance. My guess is that he was also scamming the girlfriend/fiancée in Africa.

But DAYUM! I'm a dental professional (when I'm not cruising the JJ forum!) and Cap'n Loverboy Schoofs had some serious periodontal disease going on his lower anteriors. If he is truly earning six figures, as he claims, he could surely afford some decent dental care.

• Love 3

The slick talking, con artist and unlikely Lothario made me want to just punch him. He's another one profiting from the apparent epidemic of desperation in the female population. I'm glad plaintiff got her money back too, but FFS! if I were a sainted "single mother" the last thing I would EVER do is give that shyster (or any man) 5K!! or 1K or fifty goddam cents. Get your head screwed on right.

I know way too many people (male and female) who are like this. I see it with women in our gay community and men in our straight one. What always amazes me is their complete lack of pride. I have dated women who've made twice as much as I earn (which is a decent salary in itself), and it would still never occur to me to let someone else support me or to ask for, much less accept, money from someone I'm casually dating. I have this nagging little thing called pride. If you have your own, then no one can leave you penniless or homeless. I put up with so much less shit in my relationships because I'm not reliant on anyone to support me. If you don't control my purse strings, you actually have to treat me well and respect me. And if you don't, it's all the easier for me to walk away. It's why I insist on living alone instead of shacking up. It's why I don't do joint bank accounts or co-sign for a lover to buy a hooptie.

These folks who are out there trying to buy affection in a desperate attempt not to be alone are sad and stupid. But the people willing to prey on them are, in my world view, much worse. They're amoral, emotionally manipulative and even a bit sociopathic.

• Love 5

It always amazes me how many defendants use the 'but he/she had a lot of money....' defense trying to make a loan a gift.  It's like people are entitled to take from someone who has 'more' because they just want it.  Sunshine's boyfriend totally said that in the halterview and I think during the case itself.  It just so bothers me.  And, unfortunately I have had friends with that same attitude.  Yeah, I had to go to college, grad school, work hard, etc., but they feel I owe them because I have a bit more than they do....  (just to clarify, most of my friends are not like that).  

• Love 6

it would still never occur to me to let someone else support me or to ask for, much less accept, money from someone I'm casually dating. I have this nagging little thing called pride.

Not too many litigants could be accused of harbouring that quality. Cap'n Lothario, and all the others like him, show a sociopath-like amorality that is disgusting and nothing can make them feel the smallest twinge of shame. I think I hated him even more than I do the usual ignorant low-life variety of sponger just because he appears to be educated and is even more calculating and corrupt. Who knows, maybe Heather is a hustla too. She could have learned from the best.

And the "She's got lots of money! (so I should get some of it)!" mentality is pretty common too. I'm with you Teebax. I had all the trouble in the world letting my husband support me when I was temporarily out of work, never mind manipulating semi-strangers into paying my car insurance.

• Love 3
It's the first time I've ever heard of a "down on his luck" airline pilot! I suppose anything's possible. Internet dating sites are full of slick talkers like old Cap'n Joe. All hot air and no substance. My guess is that he was also scamming the girlfriend/fiancée in Africa.

I feel the same way. There's a story behind that. Pilots aren't easy to come by, and it's not like there are a bunch of people off the street waiting to take his job. Hmm.

A friend thinks shows like JJ (and Springer and Cops even the Real Housewives franchises) are part of the government plot to keep us off the streets.  We look at the sad lives of the very poor and the very rich and we're happy not to be them.  So the revolution waits for another day.

Your friend hasn't met me. JJ has inspired me to start turning tricks again. It's the holiday season and a bitch like me has a few bills. I take payment in cash, Macy's gift cards and bottles of Lipton's Peach Iced Tea.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 5

I feel the same way. There's a story behind that. Pilots aren't easy to come by, and it's not like there are a bunch of people off the street waiting to take his job. Hmm.

My shady meter was going off big time with Mr. Pilot.  My ex was an aircraft mechanic and there are ton of little fly-by-night "airlines" here in the South Florida area - some of which are into some shady business (smuggling of drugs, other banned substances and/or people/ flying celebs which is not shady but when they want to smoke weed on the plane it is). And some of them fly out of smaller airfields which makes it easier to hide their business, whatever it might be.

Cap'n Loverboy Schoofs had some serious periodontal disease going on his lower anteriors.

Intocats, you certainly hit the nail on the head. As one of those lucky people blessed with crummy gums (treated now), I can't imagine his teeth weren't killing him. It's like the Methy Man last week who borrowed money to get a root canal. How are these people walking around with all that pain? Maybe that's what makes them so cranky. 

• Love 1

No kind and caring words for poor Shafonta, who was "frauded" on her old Impala beater by some mechanic who she thought was mandated to "take care of his people"?

Poor Shafonta just didn't get the concept that once you sell something to someone, they can do whatever the hell they want with it, barring a contract stating otherwise.

I sold an expensive air conditioner awhile back. I guess I should have checked windows everywhere to make sure the buyer hadn't sold it to someone else and made a profit doing so because then he'd owe that money to me, right?.

In other news, JJ knows what Photo Shop is. I think she was pleased with herself, because she said it several times.

• Love 3

Did anyone besides me have a good giggle over the Craigslist room-for-rent case today? A guy who looks like Osama Bin Laden's younger, wimpier brother answers an ad for a room and all manner of crazy hijinks ensue!! O's bro swore that the middle aged landlady had the hots for him and wanted him in the worst way. That made him uncomfortable, so he didn't move in. 

The funny part was that in the courtroom, the landlady couldn't have looked or acted less interested in him.

O's bro probably found a better place to rent and wanted out of the deal. Which is okay, but man up and don't whine about it!  JJ ruled that he gets his $700 security deposit back, but not the month's rent.

• Love 3

the middle aged landlady had the hots for him and wanted him in the worst way.

Maybe she's got a hankering for really short, dweeby Osama look-alikes? The thing is, it was AFTER Mme Cougar put the moves on him, scaring the bejesus out of him, that he gave her rest of the money.

, but man up

In this case, that's a tall order. So to speak.

• Love 3

No kind and caring words for poor Shafonta, who was "frauded" on her old Impala beater by some mechanic who she thought was mandated to "take care of his people"?

By "his people", I wonder if Shafonta means people with intricate heart-shaped chest tattoos? I couldn't keep my eyes off her work of art.

• Love 3

I didn't like how patient and tolerant Judge Judy was with Shafonta and her husband.  She allowed them to say whatever they wanted, ask her questions, converse with her, didn't reprimand her for saying how she 'felt' about being "frauded," didn't correct the repeated use of "frauded," repeatedly, patiently explained why the plaintiff was wrong and not angrily dismissing the plaintiff's feelings as ridiculous and allowed her to repeat the same argument over and over.  JJ totally had sympathy for her, obviously, but this was totally out of character and, IMO, not deserved.  The plaintiff had a ridiculous argument that simple common sense should have shot down.  You sold a car to someone who said he was going to sell the car for parts and he turned around and sold the whole car, maybe after he put some labor into fixing the car.  How was she injured by this?  That she relied on the defendant's opinion that the car was a clunker was shot down by others having told her the same thing.  The defendant was able to turn a lemon into lemonade, how does that effect you, Shafonta?  In addition, glossed over was the fact that she received payment in the form of repair-work and didn't just give the car to the defendant.  You could have sold the car if you thought it had value and found a buyer, but you didn't.  Unasked by JJ was how much he sold the car for and what he might have gotten if he did sell it in parts?  I doubt there was much of a difference in what he made, but JJ had no problem allowing the defendant to be portrayed as a hustlah.  If you sell your house to someone who says they plan on living in it and then they turn around a sell it for a profit, can you sue for that?  I didn't have the sympathy for the plaintiff that JJ had.  Didn't like that she somehow saw herself as a victim when she wasn't.  Others with more sympathetic stories JJ (angrily) dismisses because she doesn't care, is very busy (taps watch), has to eat sushi, has other fish to fry or wasn't sent to law school by her parents to deal with.  JJ voice: Ridiculous and I don't care!!!!!  Goodbye.  Goodbye!

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 3

I know what you mean.  The woman says she thought the car couldn't be repaired, so she sold it for parts.  Maybe the guy who bought the car thought the same thing until he got it into his shop.  Whatever, once she sold the car, it was up to the new owner to do what he wanted with it since there wasn't a contract specifying what was to happen to the car after she sold it.

It's a reverse case of 'buyer beware'.  It's a case of 'seller beware'.  If you don't do your homework you might find out you might have made more money going another route.

As for JJ letting the defendant go on and on about it, I wonder if she was dragging the case out to give the producers plenty of footage for the show.  Or maybe JJ has heard some of the complaints about how she doesn't understand how life works for the vast majority of her viewers and was trying to appear more understanding.  I don't know anymore because I got bored and tuned it out, so I was surprised to find they'd spent so much time on such a boring case.

• Love 1

I didn't like how patient and tolerant Judge Judy was with Shafonta and her husband.

You're absolutely right. We've seen people here with arguments not nearly as stupid and ridiculous as Shafonta's being given short shrift. I can't imagine what made JJ put up with planitiffs' utter nonsense and thick-headedness that would have made a child lose patience. Very odd indeed.

• Love 4

I get annoyed when litigants repeat "Yes Ma'am" over and over again...and Mrs. Hartman got on my last nerve today.  Plus, I wanted to lunge through the TV and push her ugly Transitions lenses up the bridge of her nose...they were nearly falling off her face.  I was very intrigued when, at the end of the case, she said that she was being stalked and sexually harassed at work.  I'm nosy and would enjoy hearing that story.  

And the last guy did us all a solid by dropping some knowledge in the hallterview, "You need to watch out for Craigslist."  Old man, we all know to avoid the cesspool lurking behind just about every listing on Craigslist.  

• Love 3
And the last guy did us all a solid by dropping some knowledge in the hallterview, "You need to watch out for Craigslist."  Old man, we all know to avoid the cesspool lurking behind just about every listing on Craigslist. 

I got the feeling that dude went looking for renters in the "strictly platonic" section. Older, slightly effeminate single man moves in young, lanky, slightly dim-witted guileless guy who left because he "felt uncomfortable" after the man had dropped his rent down from $500 to $300 and let him pay late and never pay the whole amount? Yeeeeah.

• Love 3