Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Fall

Eric is attending a party to honor his dad passing over the reins of the company to him, when suddenly tragedy strikes. Eric's smart and beautiful wife, Kate Warner, is found dead, and life, as he knows it, is over. Overseeing the case is the unflappable and formidable Detective Andrea Cornell. She immediately puts the grieving husband in her crosshairs, but, as always, secrets seep out about this seemingly perfect family and turn their world upside down. As Eric battles to prove his innocence and save the family’s company, he discovers that his beloved Kate and the rest of his family are not who they appeared to be. Detective Cornell also has cast a wide net over the whole Warner family. There’s Eric’s charming and lovable finance-magnate father, John Warner. The father of three children, he built his private equity firm on a model of honesty and morality, but Kate’s death puts his succession plans on hold, and he may find that his stunning business achievement is really a house of cards.

9 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I forgot what this show is like, a crime show from the victim's loved ones POV. Which is weird.

I'm calling it now, it's either the sister or the friend that hates women. 

Pretty much, S1 was a remake of a show with the same name.

I didn't see last season of this show, but I am interested in this mystery, even if I did keep confusing it with Dallas. It seems nice and soapy. I think the friend that hates women is too obvious, but might be Kate's previous (or current) baby daddy. My money is on the blonde sister in law or Dad.

The family scenes were especially well done and well acted. They established the relationships without being too expositiony

• Love 3

While I didn't watch this last season, I was intrigued by the cast for this season, and they didn't disappoint in this first ep. I bought the family dynamic and all the relationships. And Michael Ealy does a good job of playing ambiguous - one minute I want to hug him, the next I'm narrowing my eyes and wondering if he did it.

This was the consensus on Twitter, but I'm sure there will be a ton of misdirection between now and the big reveal.

• Love 4

Also because she's wearing a belly halter to her sister-in-law's memorial.

OMG, I KNOW, RIGHT????

I too hung in to the end of the first season, and wasn't planning to keep up with season two until...MICHAEL EALY. This is going to be my complete waste of time this fall, and I'm so looking forward to it. Next week, I'll bring popcorn!

• Love 9

This was my first time watching this series.  Would the dummy drop really happen in real life, especially the day after the murder?  That seemed OTT.

Some moments seemed really awkward (the "say I'm the man scene" and the fake crying of the husband at the end). I hate that the husband and his sister decided to hold back the additional tablet and the scratch marks on the drawer.

The best friend with three ex-wives seemed really shifty.

• Love 1

I watched the 1st season but I think I'm more interested in this one. I really like the cast starting with Michael Ealy. And for some reason I love Annalynne McCord. Inappropriate dress to the funeral and all! I am curious to see why the sister clearly dislikes her. Also why Amanda has 7 bottles of pills in her purse. 

My guess right now is the dad. Hello Terry O'Quinn. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peridot said:

This was my first time watching this series.  Would the dummy drop really happen in real life, especially the day after the murder?  That seemed OTT.

Some moments seemed really awkward (the "say I'm the man scene" and the fake crying of the husband at the end). I hate that the husband and his sister decided to hold back the additional tablet and the scratch marks on the drawer.

The best friend with three ex-wives seemed really shifty.

LOL!   Yeah, "Say 'I'm the man" was a little cheesy but I'm sure if we could be a fly on the wall of many bedrooms, we'd hear even cheesier stuff.  :-D  

Holding back the tablet and scratch marks on the drawer was def the wrong move IMO, as well.  However, you know...drama.  But sis should know better...DOES know better, so she's already messed up if she is supposed to be looking out for her brother's best interests.  

And, speaking of interesting....Mom?  Ok...I kind of assumed she was dead but apparently she's not.  Mmmmm....

In conclusion, we have quite a few possible suspects (or persons of interest).  I'll keep checking in to see what happens.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Bwill3133 said:

Also why Amanda has 7 bottles of pills in her purse. 

I KNOW, right?!  What did she say...woman issues.  Profuse perspiration and all...QUITE young even for early menopause.  So, something is up there, too.  

They really did sprinkle a lot of things in this episode to raise questions about a lot of people.  But it was really odd that the detective would bring up the other guy's name at the funeral (from a file that was obviously sealed because it was a juvenile offense).  But...this *IS* television.  

I like Juliette Lewis a lot. She can be hilariously funny but, wow, does she play a menacing law enforcement official.  Her stare can almost turn a person to stone. 

• Love 4

There is so much pretty in that family I had to avert my eyes a couple of times. The glare!

The script gave me very little to like but I did anyway, for no good reason. I ignored season one because I didn't care for the Australian version, but Cornell is interesting enough that I may give it a try just for her.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

My early boring thought for all the pills is fertility drugs. Her and her husband are obviously not in a good place and arguing about having children could be a reason. 

I don't recall seeing or hearing about her husband.

Shows like this usually go for Least Suspected Character, so right now, I'm leaning towards Michael Ealy and his dreamy eyes.

• Love 1

Pretty sure Eric is not the father. Best guess for baby daddy at this point is best friend, but maybe brother Patrick, or barely possibly even the father. The father of the previous baby was probably some backgrounder at the party/funeral, I think. 

Running down motives/guess work at motives picking up on hints and misdirects, I get:

Dad John, to save Eric from a horribly duplicitous cheat, who's putting a cuckoo into the family nest;

Best friend, Neil, to hide his paternity of Eric's wife's baby;

Sister Amanda, who's suspiciously distraught and interfering in his defense, either to avenge herself on Kate for her picking the straight wife life over her, or for sleeping with her own Dr. Hubby or for being a ho whose bastard is going to take a slice of the company;

Brother Patrick, a long shot at this point, to hide being the baby daddy or to escape taking responsibility for supporting a discard wife and his baby, or from rage at being rejected, or a deep plan to take the company himself by getting rid of Eric via cops. 

If and when it is revealed the first baby's father was at the party, her ending the relationship and abandoning the child (to him or to adoption,) may provide a rage motive. Or a struggle that gets out of hand after attempted blackmail. (See preview.) 

Of course the best case is against Eric. How could he have seen Kate going over without seeing who pushed her? No doubt that's why Cornell has fixed on him, and it's a very good reason. The running down the stairs though gives away that Eric was on the rood (we'll take the bit about the position of the body meaning it can's really be seen from inside as a given.) The only reasons I can see for that are murder on impulse, or some elaborate psychout where being sweaty and out of breath passes for emotional distress. There's no motive yet known for murder on impulse. The likely motive for premeditated murder instead of a divorce is the lack of a prenuptial contract. 

The question is, are they going to try to misdirect us by seeming to repeat the Ryan Phillippe season, where Javert madly pursues Jean Valjean. Or are they going with The Following to sell Eric as being in the end a madly deceptive double fakeout get in your head premeditated murderer? The flashbacks so far seem to be back to mostly good times, which seem inappropriately deceptive for the audience?

Edited by sjohnson

I watched the first season.  I enjoyed it although I liked the Australian version better.

I was waiting for this season.  The cast looks interesting.  I hope for a great ride.

I am suspicious of the sister.  It is never a good idea to have your lawyer be another one of the suspects.  She was the one that knew the victim first.  She brought her into the business and family.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I watched the first season.  I enjoyed it although I liked the Australian version better.

I, on the other hand, was surprised to see it listed as Season 2.  I had flushed S1 so completely that I had to come back to the forums here and read a recap of S1E1 to remember what the series was about.  But it's good, forgettable television and that's okay as far as it goes.

• Love 1

Cornell is exactly the type of person I'd want investigating my own murder (morbid, I know) but she has NO CHILL! Showing up at the funeral to questions suspects is maybe a little too far. If the family wasn't standoff-ish already, she's basically killed any chance at a working relationship with them. And yes, I know it's clear she thinks the husband did it, but maintaining some sort of relationship has to be helpful for her case.

I like the cast and mystery of this year's case more than last years so far. I like that we're dealing with adults rather than kids and families. I think that tends to be far more interesting. I don't know if Michael Ealy did it, but it's strange if he did that he'd then go downstairs and sit with his wife's body rather than getting away or establishing an alibi or something. People who are guilty tend to run, right? I like the soft-spoken nice brother for the crime because he seems like the least likely family member so why not him? He's got to have more going on since he married AnnaLynne McCord.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't know if Michael Ealy did it, but it's strange if he did that he'd then go downstairs and sit with his wife's body rather than getting away or establishing an alibi or something. People who are guilty tend to run, right?

Maybe he's counting on that line of thinking (hopefully the jury) for his alibi?

I'm calling the father as the baby daddy AND the murderer to cover-up that he was having an affair with and impregnated his son's wife. This is partly because when I see Terry O'Quinn I'm going to automatically assume he's the smoke monster as John Locke until proven otherwise. But also because he seemed WAY too excited about his son locking this woman down as a wife in the flashbacks. And moreover, every time Cornell said something to the husband like, "Were you on the roof?" the camera always panned to the dad. Da-da-dum! But, if this is anything like last season, I'm guessing they're making the dad an obvious suspect as one of many such suspects, which will include everyone seen thus far, including the old lady in the wheelchair, the mysterious missing mother, and her firstborn child seeking vengeance. But the killer will probably end up being the family dog who sensed the pregnancy and accidentally murdered the woman while intending to cause a miscarriage so that it would be the #1 little pal in the family and not be displaced by a baby. Or, maybe I watch too much Empire, and it's the blonde sister-in-law because she wants to have the first family heir who will take over the firm someday.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 7

I watched last season, and I thought it was okay, but I wasn't sure if I was going to watch this season or not.  I decided to check it out, and it's starting out interesting, so I'm in.  

Two burning question:  1) Where is Kate's child?  2) Where is Mama Warner?  

I wasn't planning on watching this season.  I was very irritated when people pointed the finger at the little girl after the first episode last season, and then absolutely insisted it was her.  To then find out that it was an almost identical copy of the Australian version, and they were insistent because they probably knew about that version.  In other words - hiding a spoiler inside a lucky guess.  I was unwilling to repeat the experience.

But learning that there wasn't a second season version of the Australian show, therefore the likelihood of being spoiled is slim, plus learning that TERRY O'QUINN - creator of one of my best-loved characters - is in this show . . . . .  I think I'm in.

• Love 2

I grew to kinda love Cornell last year. I also think Lewis just needed some time to adjust to tv acting. I think the cast and mystery is stronger this year. The victim is also more compelling than the previous one. The only thing I miss from last season is Phillippe shirtless. 

• Love 5

I thought it was creepy kid last year because she was a creepy kid and years of watching CSI have taught me TV kids are sociopaths, not from the Australian version, which I never saw or read about except after the season was over.

On September 28, 2016 at 0:03 PM, sugarbaker design said:

It is the same character.  And I don't see 'bitchy' at all.  Cornell is all business, she's Javert!

And I HATED Javert, what a douchebag, and we all know how he ended up.  

There are many questions here:

Who was the first baby daddy?

Where is their mother?  Mental hospital maybe?

Why was the sister taking so many pills?  Yes, maybe fertility pills.

And who really was the wife?  See, I think she was a scam artist.  At the funeral the husband was asked about the wife's family.  He said the parents were dead and there were no siblings.  That's a HUGE red flag for me, yep, scam artist, sure it's possible to have dead parents and no siblings, but wouldn't there be some relative somewhere?  I think the wife was a scam artist and the killer is her partner.  

Cornell really needs to fucking chill, don't rush to judgement, that's never a good thing.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

At the funeral the husband was asked about the wife's family.  He said the parents were dead and there were no siblings.

I think the person who asked this question, was a member of Kate's family.  None of the siblings knew who the lady with the purple scarf was. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Why was the sister taking so many pills?  Yes, maybe fertility pills.

And why carry them all around with her? I take medication and always keep some with me, but I don't carry around multiple bottles of pills, I condense into one smaller container. Who wants to carry around four huge pill bottles all the time?

10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

And who really was the wife?  See, I think she was a scam artist.  At the funeral the husband was asked about the wife's family.  He said the parents were dead and there were no siblings.  That's a HUGE red flag for me, yep, scam artist, sure it's possible to have dead parents and no siblings, but wouldn't there be some relative somewhere?  I think the wife was a scam artist and the killer is her partner.  

Yeah, that was a red flag for me too. Maybe there are people with no one in real life, but on TV it is always a sign of a liar.

Kate appears to be having another man's child, plus she's misplaced one. We know for a fact she's not on the up and up. Also, the show is name "Secrets & Lies." Of course she's going to have relatives, that's guest stars, and their flash backs. 

Cornell's first words keep coming back to me, about the husband contaminating her crime scene. I can't be sure what kind of contamination she thought there would be. For one thing, in a sense the crime scene isn't the sidewalk, it's the roof. For another, I can't see what kind of contact trace the husband could leave that would be conclusive of a crime. Being her husband, traces of contact should be the norm, I hope.

The thing is, it was Cornell, the heroine, who said that. So if there was some sort of evidence, then hubby had another motive for racing down the stairs besides the irrational hope of catching her at the bottom. Namely, to contaminate the "crime scene," just as Cornell said. This is the first episode. I think they want to play fair with the audience, so there should be a big honking clue hidden in the misdirects. Ealy I've decided is the number one suspect. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

Cornell's first words keep coming back to me, about the husband contaminating her crime scene. I can't be sure what kind of contamination she thought there would be. For one thing, in a sense the crime scene isn't the sidewalk, it's the roof. For another, I can't see what kind of contact trace the husband could leave that would be conclusive of a crime. Being her husband, traces of contact should be the norm, I hope.

The thing is, it was Cornell, the heroine, who said that. So if there was some sort of evidence, then hubby had another motive for racing down the stairs besides the irrational hope of catching her at the bottom. Namely, to contaminate the "crime scene," just as Cornell said. This is the first episode. I think they want to play fair with the audience, so there should be a big honking clue hidden in the misdirects. Ealy I've decided is the number one suspect. 

It didn't occur to me that the splat mark wasn't the actual crime scene, but that's true. The only nefarious reason I can think of for Eric to dash down would be to remove something from Kate's person. The blood splatter would be messed up with him kneeling it in and picking up the body, but I don't see how contamination would come into play.

• Love 2
On 9/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, KaveDweller said:

I forgot what this show is like, a crime show from the victim's loved ones POV. Which is weird.

I think it's the friend.

On 9/25/2016 at 11:15 PM, saoirse said:

OMG, I KNOW, RIGHT????

I too hung in to the end of the first season, and wasn't planning to keep up with season two until...MICHAEL EALY. This is going to be my complete waste of time this fall, and I'm so looking forward to it. Next week, I'll bring popcorn!

Michael Ealy...mmmm those eyes

• Love 1
On 9/27/2016 at 9:30 PM, preeya said:

Juliette Lewis appears to be doing a replay of her character from S1 (i.e. the all knowing bitchy cop).

So a woman cooly and calmly doing her job is considered "bitchy"? Huh. Maybe she should bake cupcakes for all the suspects and invite them over for tea.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:27 PM, memememe76 said:

I grew to kinda love Cornell last year. I also think Lewis just needed some time to adjust to tv acting. I think the cast and mystery is stronger this year. The victim is also more compelling than the previous one. The only thing I miss from last season is Phillippe shirtless. 

Same.  I was kinda hoping that maybe we'd get some scenes of Patrick and Eric visiting Ben Crawford in prison for advice on dealing with Cornell just so I could have three hot guys on my screen.  Petty, I know, but whatever.

• Love 1

I didn't watch last year (dead kid = no thank you), but this year's promos sucked me in. "Wife dies, husband is suspect" is the plot of a zillion Law & Orders, so quite frankly, I don't care who the killer was -- I'm just going to have fun with the secrets, The two iPads! The previous baby! All the family drama!

The chemistry/camaraderie between Eric and his siblings is great, and Cornell is pleasantly inscrutable. I feel like I've seen a variation on her in every gruff male cop I've ever seen, but she's so interesting when she's onscreen. Plus: Terry O'Quinn! I have missed seeing him on TV.

The only weird thing is the victim's name is Kate Warner, and that was one of Jack Bauer's girlfriends on 24. I'm going to keep expecting a Designated Survivor crossover. Ooh, maybe her sister Marie Warner did it...

• Love 1
On 10/3/2016 at 2:42 AM, KaleyFirefly said:

So a woman cooly and calmly doing her job is considered "bitchy"? Huh. Maybe she should bake cupcakes for all the suspects and invite them over for tea.

Well, coolly and calmly doing her job at the wife's memorial might seem a tad bitchy to some.

I like this okay so far, but I miss Ryan Phillipe's hotness, which to my eye way trumps (sorry) Michael Ealy's, but I'll keep watching for now.  I watched so many dead or otherwise involving kid mysteries (Secrets and Lies, Broadchurch, Happy Valley, Gracepoint, The Killing, etc) it's nice to see an old fashioned husband and wife crime for a change.  I'm going with the husband with second choice being the father because, Terry O'Quinn.

• Love 2

Finally watched it, and liked it well enough.  Here's some impressions.

If Kate had just peed on the stick, why would she have already bought the onesie?  And since she seemed torn about the pregnancy, why leave the onesie so easy to find by Eric?  Or, if this is the stick and the onesie from mystery baby number one, why would she leave pee stick and onesie laying around their home?

Don't want to like blonde SIL, but I do.  Can't stand the white frat-boy friend, or Patrick.  Patrick thinks he's hysterical, but I think he's an idiot.  Not sure about the sister yet.  Since she's sweating and taking multiple prescriptions, I wonder if she's undergoing hormone treatment to get pregnant.  Is her husband going to have a bigger part?  I don't even know his name, or care that I don't know his name.  I usually dislike PB, but she's making Kate likable.

I think I could appreciate Cornell more if I didn't know JL is more of a free-spirited overt actress.  This part seems so against the grain for her, and I feel it's not making best use of her abilities.  Her lines are ridiculous:  She's also my victim.  Did you know your wife had another man's child.  Give me a break.

I'm not a lawyer, but can family members just stop by and be filled in on autopsy results on a suspected murder?

Eric seems like a babe in the woods, or maybe it's those baby blue eyes.  He seems terribly naïve, and the only good person surrounded by suspicious people.  That probably means he's the killer.  One thing I didn't like - he seemed more upset that his wife had a baby by another man (emphasis on "another man"), than by the fact she kept a secret pregnancy from him, or by the fact that she was confirmed to be killed.  It irritated me.

As I said, I'm liking Kate so far.  But why whine that she had to fight for everything she got in life, when we know the boss's daughter got her the job?