Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Helping Hands

Wow.  So Julia calls Michelle a house/boat n-word…then tells her it wouldn't have been so bad if she'd said it to one of the white ladies?  Because casual racism is okay as long as those pesky n-words don't overhear!  Julia should feel lucky she isn't missing teeth right now.  You don't use that language then play it off as okay because a) white people wouldn't have had a problem with it, and b) it's just "something she says"…like the latter makes it better.  So Julia enjoys being a racist.  Got it.  And now she's upset that no one is bowing down and kissing her feet as she struggles so hard to overcome HER racist comment.  Bye, Felicia!

I wish the other ladies had bowed out of Angela's surprise like Michelle & Gilda did.  Let TweedleDee & TweedleRacist have a day to themselves.

• Love 11

My jaw literally dropped when I realised what Julia had said.  I don't understand how for one second she thought that what she said would be perceived as funny.  Maybe if she stopped being such a gossip and also thought about what comes out of her mouth, she wouldn't look as bad as she does now.  She is forever going to be known for what she said to Michelle.  And then to act mortified because Michelle threw champagne in her face?  Come on now.... She's lucky Michelle didn't punch her!

• Love 6

Yeah, that was bad. Really really bad. I didn't get it at first but when the realization came, I was shocked. And I'm not easily shocked.
And yet again, the episode was more about how the White Lady deals with the heartbreak (like on Unreal) and her epiphany than the Black Lady's feelings. The only one who seemed to grasp the concept was, again, the awesome Anne, who got the line during a TH (paraphrasing) "you feel bad but it's not about you, how about Michelle feelings instead?"  

Even the ex actress (her name escapes me each week) had a ignorant comment during her TH when she explained that Black People can call themselves that, rappers do it all the time, or something like that... Yeah, because Black People are all rappers aren't they?

• Love 6

Hello, Black woman here :) 

Julia is dead to me now. I didn't like her before - but those phrases don't just slip out if you never use them. They slip out when you use them regularly and they're part of your normal vocabulary. She did admit that to her it was a common boating term (I've never heard boat n--- used prior to this episode). She forgot that she was in mixed company, is all. So no, she doesn't get forgiven and I better not see her on the next season. 

I thought Michelle handled it well. I wish she would have been able to keep her composure after tossing the champagne in Julias face. I've been in a similar situation and you think you're prepared (as a Black person you know that word can be flung at you at any moment) - but you are just never fully prepared when it actually happens. Considering that, bravo to Michelle! And extra claps for agreeing to discuss it with her after. After all, it is just a word so it was nice to see that she was able to move past the rage with time. I'm not so sure I would have been able to. I could have met with her, heard her out,  accepted the apology, then never spoke to that THOT again ;) 

Anne wins another gold star in my book. She was the only one that had the common sense to realize that they shouldn't have been consoling Julia - what about Michelle! I wonder if they didn't have another camera crew to film what Michelle was going through - or if Michelle was so upset that she didn't want to film that day? 

I was soooo close to believing Julia just made a dumb mistake until that comment when she met with Michelle back in Auckland, and she said none of the other girls would have reacted so strongly to it. Ummmmm, no bi--h. You do realize that they are white, right? Of course they wouldn't have reacted the same way - it doesn't hold the same weight, hurt and degradation to a white person. When she said that, I realized that she wasn't so emotional because she made a careless mistake. She was emotional because her TRUTH got caught on camera, and there goes any benefits she may get from the publicity of being on the show. 

• Love 18

No. No. No.

First I tried my usual link to watch this episode and it came up with the message 'this file has been removed by administrator'. I've never seen that message before. Two minutes in and I'm seriously suspecting that it was deliberately removed. 

Julia is now up there with Lidiot  (Real Howives of Melbourne) for RACIST ignorant troglodytes that have no business being paid for entertainment on my screen. Like Michelle, I have no interest in seeing her orc nosed low rent head again. Ever. I hope she is pilloried and I hope she can no longer show her face in public in NZ. There. Is. No. Excuse.

Louise was correct. Despite Louise using borderline inappropriate whitesplaining language herself: what Julia said was unforgivable. And she needs to be sacked immediately. Sacked. Contract pulled. 

She cannot be permitted to slither out of this. The cast is broken. I don't like Michelle's behavior in previous episodes but I was happy enough to watch her interact with the unfortunate Angela. It's insulting to expect Michelle to continue working with someone who has vilified her in racist language. I've stopped the episode as they turned the boat back. I'm thinking why are all the women crowded around the racist troll and only Gilda is supporting Michelle? Granted at this stage Orc Face is sobbing about Michelle throwing champagne at her and saying she's out of control. No ownership for what provoked it so right there is Orc Face attempting to slither. And how. .what POSSIBLE excuse or reason does she have? It just 'slipped out'?!!! Because that tells me that when Orc Face and her terminally socially humiliated spouse are hanging out in their skeevy kitchen slurping wine and dreaming up new tacky methods for Orc Face to grab the limelight, like a bag of sex toys at a dinner party, they don't think twice as privileged white people about throwing around the 'N' word. I know people like this, unfortunately, and they only dial it down until they feel 'safe' amongst their own kind (racist pigs) with a nudge nudge wink wink we're all on the same page here, *those* people, n--s etc etc. She uses this and other racially pejorative terms every day with ease and without any thought. She and her husband will be right wing entitled conservatives and they are making their money in a country with a long history pre white 'settlement' (invasion in Australia, slightly different history in Aotearoa). I hope hope hope that her Maori neighbours hear and see this and RUIN whatever nasty business fuels the lifestyle of this dried up ignorant hood rat piece of garbage. 

I don't know how much control Bravo has over the franchises in the colonies, but I for one DO NOT want to see Julia or Lydia (RHOM) on my screen again. And I DO want to see some successful Maori Howives! I thought during the first episode that maybe Angela was going to reveal she had Maori heritage because of her comment about being the 'face' of some NZ tourism campaign. But so far, nothing and I don't think so. 

There's nothing entertaining about watching an entitled and over privileged withered up white woman use ignorant racist language to humiliate a cast member and then surround herself for support with others of her ilk while the only women of color are left alone together. I don't have a problem with the ugly underbelly of racism in Australia and New Zealand being unwittingly exposed, I guess, but ethically there must be consequences. 

I'm furious and disgusted. Keep Michelle and Gilda. The rest can kick rocks. Maybe an episode where they all attend a cultural sensitivity workshop. Old dogs/bitches etc. Classless, tacky and also ignorant, hate filled racists. I spit. 

• Love 3

In this day and age how the eff did Julia make a comment with the N word?! We ALL know it's offensive. What rock has she been living under? We all know you don't say that in front of white people, let alone we know you don't say it in front of people of colour (please help me me here people.... is "people of colour" an acceptable phrase? I'm trying to convey non-white in a generic way...although I know non-white encompasses many many races). Now I'm actually worried my question is offensive.... 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

In this day and age how the eff did Julia make a comment with the N word?! We ALL know it's offensive. What rock has she been living under? We all know you don't say that in front of white people, let alone we know you don't say it in front of people of colour (please help me me here people.... is "people of colour" an acceptable phrase? I'm trying to convey non-white in a generic way...although I know non-white encompasses many many races). Now I'm actually worried my question is offensive.... 

POC (people of color) is fine.  And Julia knew it was wrong, she just didn't care.  As evident by her playing the victim ("it's just something--rich, white--people say! "I am so devastated that this is blown out of proportion!), and by claiming that everything would have been a-ok if she'd said it to/about/around the other white women instead of the WOC.  Fucked up.  And apparently, she and her husband tried to do some damage control before the episode aired…no idea how successful they were.  IF this show gets a second season, Bravo:NZ should announce her firing with the news of a new season.  "Season 2: Now without victim-blaming racists!"

• Love 8

Hell to the naw to the naw naw naw.

Nah-oh-peh!

Julia knew full well what she was saying and what it meant.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:37 AM, queenjen said:

No. No. No.

First I tried my usual link to watch this episode and it came up with the message 'this file has been removed by administrator'. I've never seen that message before. Two minutes in and I'm seriously suspecting that it was deliberately removed. 

Julia is now up there with Lidiot  (Real Howives of Melbourne) for RACIST ignorant troglodytes that have no business being paid for entertainment on my screen. Like Michelle, I have no interest in seeing her orc nosed low rent head again. Ever. I hope she is pilloried and I hope she can no longer show her face in public in NZ. There. Is. No. Excuse.

Louise was correct. Despite Louise using borderline inappropriate whitesplaining language herself: what Julia said was unforgivable. And she needs to be sacked immediately. Sacked. Contract pulled. 

She cannot be permitted to slither out of this. The cast is broken. I don't like Michelle's behavior in previous episodes but I was happy enough to watch her interact with the unfortunate Angela. It's insulting to expect Michelle to continue working with someone who has vilified her in racist language. I've stopped the episode as they turned the boat back. I'm thinking why are all the women crowded around the racist troll and only Gilda is supporting Michelle? Granted at this stage Orc Face is sobbing about Michelle throwing champagne at her and saying she's out of control. No ownership for what provoked it so right there is Orc Face attempting to slither. And how. .what POSSIBLE excuse or reason does she have? It just 'slipped out'?!!! Because that tells me that when Orc Face and her terminally socially humiliated spouse are hanging out in their skeevy kitchen slurping wine and dreaming up new tacky methods for Orc Face to grab the limelight, like a bag of sex toys at a dinner party, they don't think twice as privileged white people about throwing around the 'N' word. I know people like this, unfortunately, and they only dial it down until they feel 'safe' amongst their own kind (racist pigs) with a nudge nudge wink wink we're all on the same page here, *those* people, n--s etc etc. She uses this and other racially pejorative terms every day with ease and without any thought. She and her husband will be right wing entitled conservatives and they are making their money in a country with a long history pre white 'settlement' (invasion in Australia, slightly different history in Aotearoa). I hope hope hope that her Maori neighbours hear and see this and RUIN whatever nasty business fuels the lifestyle of this dried up ignorant hood rat piece of garbage. 

I don't know how much control Bravo has over the franchises in the colonies, but I for one DO NOT want to see Julia or Lydia (RHOM) on my screen again. And I DO want to see some successful Maori Howives! I thought during the first episode that maybe Angela was going to reveal she had Maori heritage because of her comment about being the 'face' of some NZ tourism campaign. But so far, nothing and I don't think so. 

There's nothing entertaining about watching an entitled and over privileged withered up white woman use ignorant racist language to humiliate a cast member and then surround herself for support with others of her ilk while the only women of color are left alone together. I don't have a problem with the ugly underbelly of racism in Australia and New Zealand being unwittingly exposed, I guess, but ethically there must be consequences. 

I'm furious and disgusted. Keep Michelle and Gilda. The rest can kick rocks. Maybe an episode where they all attend a cultural sensitivity workshop. Old dogs/bitches etc. Classless, tacky and also ignorant, hate filled racists. I spit. 

Louise was not having a single second of Julia's bull.

On 9/21/2016 at 1:34 AM, lilsadone said:

Hello, Black woman here :) 

Julia is dead to me now. I didn't like her before - but those phrases don't just slip out if you never use them. They slip out when you use them regularly and they're part of your normal vocabulary. She did admit that to her it was a common boating term (I've never heard boat n--- used prior to this episode). She forgot that she was in mixed company, is all. So no, she doesn't get forgiven and I better not see her on the next season. 

I thought Michelle handled it well. I wish she would have been able to keep her composure after tossing the champagne in Julias face. I've been in a similar situation and you think you're prepared (as a Black person you know that word can be flung at you at any moment) - but you are just never fully prepared when it actually happens. Considering that, bravo to Michelle! And extra claps for agreeing to discuss it with her after. After all, it is just a word so it was nice to see that she was able to move past the rage with time. I'm not so sure I would have been able to. I could have met with her, heard her out,  accepted the apology, then never spoke to that THOT again ;) 

Anne wins another gold star in my book. She was the only one that had the common sense to realize that they shouldn't have been consoling Julia - what about Michelle! I wonder if they didn't have another camera crew to film what Michelle was going through - or if Michelle was so upset that she didn't want to film that day? 

I was soooo close to believing Julia just made a dumb mistake until that comment when she met with Michelle back in Auckland, and she said none of the other girls would have reacted so strongly to it. Ummmmm, no bi--h. You do realize that they are white, right? Of course they wouldn't have reacted the same way - it doesn't hold the same weight, hurt and degradation to a white person. When she said that, I realized that she wasn't so emotional because she made a careless mistake. She was emotional because her TRUTH got caught on camera, and there goes any benefits she may get from the publicity of being on the show. 

I'm a Black woman too. Racial slurs are not in my working day to day vocabulary, so I'm always surprised by people who are quick to use them. If I want to insult a white person or a person of color, I'm more inclined to call them an asshole or a jerk. Julia's words and behavior after "the incident" suggest that she's less contrite than she would have us believe.

• Love 7

The other woman sitting around comforting Julia rather than Michelle was revolting. It made me dislike them all except for Michelle and Gilda.

Julia should have been fired.

Angela particularly can go fuck herself with the you didn't mean it that way bullshit.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The other woman sitting around comforting Julia rather than Michelle was revolting. It made me dislike them all except for Michelle and Gilda.

Angela particularly can go fuck herself with the you didn't mean it that way bullshit.

AND wasn't it telling that the women let Julia go on Angela's retreat instead of sending her home to Auckland? BUT then again, considering what a sh*t show that laughing yoga turned out to be - maybe they were punishing her (and themselves) in that way.

A lovely walk on the beach was the better option. So - never mind.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

AND wasn't it telling that the women let Julia go on Angela's retreat instead of sending her home to Auckland? BUT then again, considering what a sh*t show that laughing yoga turned out to be - maybe they were punishing her (and themselves) in that way.

A lovely walk on the beach was the better option. So - never mind.

That made me so mad. Why was Julia seemingly rewarded for saying bigoted things? Ugh.

On a weird note, why didn't they just wear their yoga clothes during the helicopter ride?

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

That made me so mad. Why was Julia seemingly rewarded for saying bigoted things? Ugh.

On a weird note, why didn't they just wear their yoga clothes during the helicopter ride?

Those yoga clothes were so ugly, that I got the feeling they might have been provided by the workshop.

Poor Leah.

• Love 4

I'm sure that Michelle and Gilda have been on a helicopter before so not as big of a loss as it would be for a non-HW. 

I love that Michelle stated that she was moving forward for her own well-being and specifically said she wasn't forgiving anything. Julia deserves to know she went way past "saying something stupid".  

• Love 6
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My mouth fell open as I watched these bitches consoling Julia as if she were the one who had been insulted and degraded. Trash. Myopic trash. Julia spoke that way in Michelle's presence because she's comfortable speaking in that fashion. It's part of her every day vocabulary.

It was obvious early on that Julia is a try-hard gold digger who is so uncomfortable with her ill gotten gains that she can't really enjoy herself. So insecure. Constantly poking at the others for knowing her to be exactly what she is. But her casual racism exposes her even more as the downmarket garbage she's trying so hard to pretend she is not.

If this show returns, she'd better not be in the cast.

Edited by eXiled
spelling
  • Love 5

My jaw dropped when she said that too Michelle. It just rolled off her tongue. She's lucky that Michelle only threw the champagne glass because had she said that to me she'd be missing teeth and would've been in that water.

My heart broke for Michelle. As black women we have to always "go high" and can't really put these racist pieces of shit in their places like we want to for fear of being labeled the "angry black woman".

Even more galling was Julia playing the victim. And then telling Michelle not to lecture her at the dinner? OMG. She is cancelled and I hope she gets it where it hurts the most, her pocketbook.

• Love 8

It's hard to understand why that particular term is even a part of Julia's vocabulary. It didn't just pop out of thin air; it's floating around in her brain somewhere. I know people misspeak sometimes; I have certainly said the wrong thing before, but nothing even in the realm of what Julia said. I just don't get it. 

Angela is insufferable. Even her husband didn't seem thrilled to be talking to her. 

• Love 6

Jesus Christ. Superstar.  I am so grossed out not just by Julia's "slip of the tongue" but by the rest of the women's (save Gilda and Michelle) reactions.  You must SHUN people; that is the only way to teach them that racism is not okay.  I have zero respect for anyone who is okay with someone treating their "friends" poorly as long as they don't turn on the person themselves.  White people need to take on the dismantling of racism.  

That word is unacceptable in any circumstance, but the casualness was especially galling.  That is a word she knows and uses and is okay with, and she probably only realized it was a problem when Michelle and Gilda were horrified.  Gross.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, schmickschmack said:

That word is unacceptable in any circumstance, but the casualness was especially galling.  That is a word she knows and uses and is okay with, and she probably only realized it was a problem when Michelle and Gilda were horrified.  Gross.

Obviously, the word is the offensive part but the odd thing was adding "boat" to it is apparently offensive slang for anyone who has to unsavory things on the boat and what prompted Julia to make this "joke?" Michelle offering her friend a hand to get up on the platform which is an additional WTF.

• Love 1

I think that Bravo should have just canned that entire episode and started from ground zero. I have never seen such an unlikable group of women in my life. I honestly don't know why I am compelled to keep watching. (I guess it's evolved to hate watching at this point.)

I will add to being completely aghast and appalled by Julia's remarks.  Bravo should have shut that down.  Julia should have been sent home immediately. Instead? A gross racial slur is now going to become the front burner storyline for the rest of the season (which I hope is mercifully brief.) Outing "Gilda the Golddigger" is suddenly old news. The burn is going to be that it will give Michelle and Julia the spotlight going forward and those are the two I like the least.

It looks like Angela is going to stick up for Julia which will further fuel the war with with Gilda.

I'll add a clause to my first sentence. I kind of like Anne.   I also agree with those who think Angela's PA is an actress. Actually, she's adorable. Maybe Bravo can find a role for her on "Vanderpump Rules" or some other show. I still don't understand what Angela does that requires 24/7 attention. If she is wealthy/successful enough to be looking at 8.5 million (whatever currency) houses, surely she can afford additional staff.

The funniest part of an awful episode was Angela in her white bathing suit. You'd think that for a personal stylist, she would realize the drawbacks of self-tanner + white bathing suit + hot humid weather! I am surprised that none of the other women called her out on that irony.

• Love 4

Angela and the self tanner was hilarious.  Further proof that she is not all that as she pretends to be.   I would have been mortified.  That yoga place seemed to be bizarre.  

My take on these women is that they all watched all the housewife shows and picked their personas from the other franchises.  

Won't add anything about horrendous Julia and what she said to Michelle.  It has all been said already.  Julia needs to be fired.  Or at least  iced out like the American Howives like to do.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

It's hard to understand why that particular term is even a part of Julia's vocabulary. It didn't just pop out of thin air; it's floating around in her brain somewhere. I know people misspeak sometimes; I have certainly said the wrong thing before, but nothing even in the realm of what Julia said. I just don't get it. 

THIS 100x. And the others placating Julia saying it was an accident, the words just slipped out was ridiculous. Yes, sometimes I will let a swear word slip out in a setting where it's inappropriate to swear. But swearing is part of my vocabulary, so I will just say whoops! Unless the n word is part of her vocabulary, I don't see how it can just slip out. 

• Love 4
On August 26, 2017 at 6:28 PM, biakbiak said:

I'm watching this now and looking at Louise's face she's like, "I'm not saying shit to you, bitch."  She's sitting there, but not giving Julia any comfort at all.  

Julia should be glad that Michelle didn't have any hot tea next to her, because had she thrown THAT at Julia, her plastic face would have just melted off her.  Julia better never stand too close to radiators.

Kenya,  Nene or Marlo would have thrown Julia's simple behind off the boat, to the sharks, and I would have laughed.

And I noticed on the helicopter, none of the other women sat next to Julia, the witch is poison.

If Bravo didn't stop Real Housewives of DC after the nonsense with the Salahi's the wouldn't stop this show, probably not renew it with this cast, but they wouldn't stop the show mid production.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I'm watching this now and looking at Louise's face she's like, "I'm not saying shit to you, bitch."  

Thanks for reminding me about the look on Louise's face though I still can't believe none of then went to Michelle, I was absolutely floored when Gilda mentioned that they hadn't seen any of the other since the boat when they went to the beach.

• Love 7

There's no way Julia is going to be excused in any way, shape or form for this.  And she is lucky that Michelle didn't physically beat her down. Other HW's would have. She got off easy with a thrown drink and being yelled at.

Angela, ugh, she is the gift that keeps on giving. The stained white swimsuit was just disturbing. Is Leah for real? She seems like a caricature of a "mousy beneath the glasses/pretty when they come off" French girl. 

Anne looks good, if she's 70. If she's in her 50's then not so much.

• Love 4

Julia is just appalling. And then she has the nerve to play the NZ equivalent of the "some of my best friends are black" card by telling Michelle that she grew up with Polynesians and Maori, and has written books for children about racism. Take several seats, Julia, and go away. And her husband is just as bad as she is. I understand wanting to comfort your wife, but it seems like they were making pretty light of the situation over their glasses of rose. 

Michelle's hurt came through the screen loud & clear, and my heart broke for her. I was glad to see her have a laugh at Angela's fake tan running all over her white suit. Some style icon! 

I loved the neckline on Anne's blue dress at the yoga retreat (before & after yoga). Those yoga clothes were horrendous. Angela needed a much longer shirt &/or a size bigger pants; what was seen cannot be unseen <shudder> I loved the juxtaposition of LaLaLand Angela's THs that everyone loved the laugh yoga (WTF?), and Anne & Louise's THs about how lame it was. 

Angela's husband couldn't get off the phone fast enough. "Um, have meetings...bye" And Lea ironing (the same section of) Angela's dress while Angela is chillaxing? Nope. More convinced than ever that they are re-enacting some late 90s early 2000s comedy about the harried assistant and clueless boss. 

On 10/5/2016 at 11:34 AM, OnceSane said:

And Julia knew it was wrong, she just didn't care.  As evident by her playing the victim ("it's just something--rich, white--people say! "I am so devastated that this is blown out of proportion!), and by claiming that everything would have been a-ok if she'd said it to/about/around the other white women instead of the WOC.  

1st bolded sentence: No it's not

2nd bolded sentence: Not this white woman

Eff off Julia!

On 8/26/2017 at 6:18 PM, biakbiak said:

I am glad I watched this episode because I am going to add "turned to custard" to my vocabulary.

Exactly what I told Dr. Toothbrush. 

On 8/27/2017 at 1:47 PM, Sweet-tea said:

On 8/28/2017 at 7:54 AM, poeticlicensed said:

THIS 100x. And the others placating Julia saying it was an accident, the words just slipped out was ridiculous. Yes, sometimes I will let a swear word slip out in a setting where it's inappropriate to swear. But swearing is part of my vocabulary, so I will just say whoops! Unless the n word is part of her vocabulary, I don't see how it can just slip out. 

A couple of weeks ago I said "Oh hell' in front of the receptionist at my eye doctor's office. My boss says it all the time, and I picked it up from him, and it just slipped out. I was mortified and apologized to her, and she laughed it off and said she has heard and said much worse. So for that word to slip so casually out of Julia's mouth means it is a regular part of her vocabulary. 

9 hours ago, Ki-in said:

Anne looks good, if she's 70. If she's in her 50's then not so much.

I put her early-mid 60s. But she claims she hasn't been through menopause *roll eyes*

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
On 9/21/2016 at 1:44 AM, Pollock said:

Yeah, that was bad. Really really bad. I didn't get it at first but when the realization came, I was shocked. And I'm not easily shocked.
And yet again, the episode was more about how the White Lady deals with the heartbreak (like on Unreal) and her epiphany than the Black Lady's feelings. The only one who seemed to grasp the concept was, again, the awesome Anne, who got the line during a TH (paraphrasing) "you feel bad but it's not about you, how about Michelle feelings instead?"  

Even the ex actress (her name escapes me each week) had a ignorant comment during her TH when she explained that Black People can call themselves that, rappers do it all the time, or something like that... Yeah, because Black People are all rappers aren't they?

I'm black and on the fence with Louise's comments because she's right. There are some black people who unfortunately still use that word. The characters in HBO's Insecure do it all the time and I cringe each time I hear it. Rappers do use the word frequently, as well. No one should ever use the slur but the conventional wisdom is that white people really can never, ever use it. Julia is ignorant and should be fired. And all of the botox and other treatments she said she uses so are not working. 

Anne looks 70 to me. 

• Love 3
On 9/4/2017 at 0:47 PM, politichick said:

I'm black and on the fence with Louise's comments because she's right. There are some black people who unfortunately still use that word. The characters in HBO's Insecure do it all the time and I cringe each time I hear it. Rappers do use the word frequently, as well. No one should ever use the slur but the conventional wisdom is that white people really can never, ever use it. Julia is ignorant and should be fired. And all of the botox and other treatments she said she uses so are not working. 

Anne looks 70 to me. 

I gasped so audibly when I heard what this dummy said that I startled the dog. The ease to which it rolled off her tongue makes me think that she uses the term often, thoughtlessly, effortlessly. Her husband doesn't seem to care or think it was a big deal bc hey, she was acting like a house n-word so whatevs! Lol! Look at this phone bill, though! Fuck. Her. She should have been mortified beyond all recognition, tucked her tail between her legs, and when Michelle tossed champagne in her face, she should have replied with a cheerful "Thank you, may I have another!" For Julia, it's about a misspoken word, she doesn't realize the depth of emotion this word provokes, the evil past it connotes. She needs to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND APOLOGIZE AND NEVER USE THE WORD AGAIN, GODDAMNIT JULIA WTF!?

In other news, Angela's crotch has become another character on this show. Get it a tiny champagne glass, Anne! (....who is 73 if she's a day...)

Insecure is really disappointing. Issa Rae had a chance to do something deeper with her platform. As a POC, a woman, and ya know, a human, I cringe every time I hear her drop the n-bomb. 

• Love 1

So here's the thing -- I watched the scene about 10 times and watched each person's reaction. At the same moment that Michelle and Gilda are explaining that it's not a joke, Julia is waving her champagne, saying "Sorryyyyy" with a flirty grin on her face.  You know, just like that entitled person who cuts a long line at Starbucks (but isn't really sorry and definitely doesn't take her rightful place in the back of the queue). 

So NO it didn't just slip out, and the only reason she blubbered for the rest of the trip was because she realized this exchange was so controversial that it would never be edited out, and that she's just obliterated her reputation on national television. 

Someone doesn't say the n word that naturally without some feeling that they're above you because of your skin color.  It's not (just) because she's ignorant or always puts her foot in her mouth. She's the person that believes she's more attractive than her minority friend merely because she's white (why do men keep flirting with my black friend and ignoring me??!!). She's the person that is secretly shocked when a she meets a successful and wealthy minority (how did that happen?!!). She's the person that deserves the master bedroom!

Julia said it because she's prejudiced (whether aware of it or not) and she needs to check herself. 

Anyway, she's dead to me. 

• Love 4