Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Unagi You Didn't!

Zoila makes a series of mistakes, pushing Jeff to the breaking point and leading her to a leave of absence. Jeff reaches out to his therapist, and admits he fears a future of balancing his business with a new baby girl.

Still don't like Zoila. She is very lucky that Jeff treats her as well as he does when she barely does any work (e.g. continuing to pay her after she has retired). But she seems like she feels entitled to it rather than grateful. If the situation was reversed and Zoila was the boss, I have the feeling that she'd toss Jeff out on his ear as soon as he stopped pulling his weight. 

If Zoila has worked for Jeff for 16 years, how is it possible that she still seems barely able to speak English? I could see if she had worked at a place where Spanish was spoken, but everyone speaks English in Jeff's office. I have never even heard Jeff speak Spanish to her. How has she not picked it up better than she has?

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, absolutelyido said:

Still don't like Zoila. She is very lucky that Jeff treats her as well as he does when she barely does any work (e.g. continuing to pay her after she has retired). But she seems like she feels entitled to it rather than grateful. If the situation was reversed and Zoila was the boss, I have the feeling that she'd toss Jeff out on his ear as soon as he stopped pulling his weight. 

If Zoila has worked for Jeff for 16 years, how is it possible that she still seems barely able to speak English? I could see if she had worked at a place where Spanish was spoken, but everyone speaks English in Jeff's office. I have never even heard Jeff speak Spanish to her. How has she not picked it up better than she has?

I totally agree. The smug smirk on her face at the doctor's office said it all. She thinks she won. I hope Jeff sees this as the first step in getting her completely out of the house.

• Love 9

I hope Zoila moving out and cutting her hours means less screen time.  I cannot stand her.  She's so entitled she probably thinks everyone should learn Spanish in order to understand her rather than her improve her English.  That would be work. 

• Love 9

Jeff was very decent and reasonable in this episode, it was refreshing to see. I don't like Zoila at all, but I like that he is living up to the way he claims to see her - as a mother figure who he wants to keep in his life.  Someone who only sees her as an employee would not agree to subsidize her lifestyle after she retires. It makes me a little sad that he feels like he has to pay her to keep her in his life, but I like that he walks the walk.  Hopefully she's barely on the show in the future!

I really hope he and Gage get their shit figured out before the baby comes.  

Did we ever see Brady's husband Mossimo? The bit with his French parents was mean and inappropriate but I was laughing the whole time.  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I agree. I thought when she said she had fun on her time off and shopped a lot that she seemed to think she was above it all. I thought the tears at the therapy session were initially about possibly losing the money, not so much about losing Jeff. I think Zoila is too comfortable in her situation with Jeff paying her while she watches her soap operas, takes the dogs out, or makes drinks. I am pretty sure that the other housekeeper (and I forgot her name. Is it Laura?) does pretty much all of the work. I would love less screen time for Zoila, but I doubt it is happening.

I like Gage and Jeff, so I hope everything is alright on that front. I do think it is probably a stressful time with all the worries of a new baby, work, and all the construction at their house. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

My (ex) mother in law has been in the US for 50+ years and still speaks english with a very strong accent. She came to the US as an adult and it is very difficult to not speak with an accent when learning a language as an adult, so I definitely cut Zoila slack with regards to that issue.

• Love 6

If a contractor showed up at my house with samples and acted wildly inappropriately with my visiting relatives, then I might make sure I was present when any work was actually done.  Jeff Lewis never thinks that his actions might have consequences.  It wasn't even very funny.  

The stuff with Zoila was all staged.  They need her to move out so they have room for the baby and for a live in nanny.  Because if Jeff can't take care of a few pets while he is working in the same house, there's no way that he and Gage can take care of a baby while they are working.

For someone who is supposedly a big animal lover, his pets don't seem to interact with Jeff at all.  I've had dogs and had cats - if I was home, they'd be all over me, no matter who else was there.  Even my feral cat wanted desperately to interact with me, just couldn't do it for  very long.  His pets act like they've been drugged.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

For someone who is supposedly a big animal lover, his pets don't seem to interact with Jeff at all.  I've had dogs and had cats - if I was home, they'd be all over me, no matter who else was there.  Even my feral cat wanted desperately to interact with me, just couldn't do it for  very long.  His pets act like they've been drugged.

I just chalked it up to my pets being assholes, but I never thought about drugs. You're absolutely correct that with the exception of the cat jumping on the table when lunch was set out (and promptly returned to the floor where he stalked off), the animals seem to spend all their time sleeping or grooming, with an occasional break to bark at the strange men outside.

My guys literally chase each other through the house all day and jump up on tables so they are not left out of the conversation. My cat will sit on the printer and pull any thing that comes out off so he can inspect it first. Jeff's itinerary would have  paw prints and claw marks every single day. 

• Love 3

I know!  I don't know anyone with pets, where the pets aren't engaged with the people most of the time.  Maybe barn cats?

I took in my mother's ancient cat (19), it got to the point where I couldn't sit on the couch because if I did, she would paw me continuously. 

• Love 2

I wish I could have found a job where I half assed my work for 16 years and then get offered a pension for it! Zoila doesn't have any idea how lucky she is. 

I like the way Jeff handled Zoila in the Dr's office.  She really is a piece of work telling him and the Dr. that none of the fallout was her fault.  He  had his mind made up, didn't back down, although he did apologize for yelling at her.  He basically gave her two options.  She could retire now and he would write her a check every month for the rest of her life, or she could go part time immediately.  Either way, he made it pretty clear he wanted her out of the house because they need her bedroom for the baby. Good for him.  

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6

For whatever reason, Zoila has Jeff wrapped around her finger and she knows it.  He says "I love you", she says "thank you", pause, pause, thinks about her next move, "I love you too".  A lifetime pension for 16 years?  Where else does that happen?  I wish he had just said, "it's time to retire, see ya!"

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I hope Zoila moving out and cutting her hours means less screen time.  I cannot stand her.  She's so entitled she probably thinks everyone should learn Spanish in order to understand her rather than her improve her English.  That would be work. 

Yeah,  She is actually speaking English,   so she is trying. Not demanding they all speak Spanish to her. 

I didn't realize that Spanish speaking  people have to speak perfectly without an accent. Is This is a real  reason to be annoyed with a person?

All the drama seems played up for the cameras.  Jeff and zoila are doing a show, so they are imo making this story happen for the show. There might be some truth but I believe that jeff and zoila  care deeply for each other. Jeff is not a saint and zoila is not the devil. I'm sure they  share both qualities or else they  wouldn't be together (and get along)  as long as they have. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

The stuff with Zoila was all staged.  They need her to move out so they have room for the baby and for a live in nanny.

I'm not sure I think the Zoila stuff was staged, exactly, but the timing of Zoila going to part-time and moving out right when the bedroom would be needed for the baby anyway seemed awfully convenient. I agree with those of you who found it disappointing that Zoila took no responsibility at all for what happened. Even Jenni acknowledged that Zoila wasn't blameless. 

5 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I like Gage and Jeff, so I hope everything is alright on that front. I do think it is probably a stressful time with all the worries of a new baby, work, and all the construction at their house. 

Spoiler

Jeff was interviewed for a podcast recently and talked about Gage pretty positively. He said once the baby's born "that's it"--he saw it as very unlikely that they'd ever split after that. Not sure if the relationship drama alluded to next week was overblown for the show, something they were actually going through but got past, or a little bit of both. 

• Love 6

I like the way Jeff handled Zoila in the Dr's office.  She really is a piece of work telling him and the Dr. that none of the fallout was her fault.  He  had his mind made up, didn't back down, although he did apologize for yelling at her.  He basically gave her two options.  She could retire now and he would write her a check every month for the rest of her life, or she could go part time immediately.  Either way, he made it pretty clear he wanted her out of the house because they need her bedroom for the baby. Good for him.

I will echo the statements that Zoila did not take any responsibility for her part of what happened. Did she apologize to Jeff for walking out? Or apologizing for half ass-ing her job? I would have even been fine with an acknowledgement of her working harder when she is there part-time, but that did not happen. I do not remember the last therapy session or why they had it, but was there anything for Zoila to take responsibility for and did she? I was fine with Jeff apologizing for yelling at her, and he did offer her two options for their situation. So I did like how he ultimately handled it all.

What happened to Jeff's grandmother? Did she pass away? I could be misremembering, but wasn't she on a season or so ago. Jeff was doing some sort of remodel at her house. I thought Zoila cleaned at her house a couple days a week. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

I was really proud of Jeff for actively trying to "be part of the solution". I think he made great progress in dealing with relationships, and it sucks to see him put it all out there and have Zoila not even try to meet him halfway. She is very very lucky he poached her from that friend of his many years ago. I don't know too many people who would  treat her as well as he has. 

Does anyone know the deal with Jeff's mom? The way he is with Zoila makes me think he either never had an involved mother or she died when he was still fairly young. 

I know a lot of people think Jeff jokes too much and pushes boundaries, and I won't deny this, but I also spend half of the episodes just wishing Ashlynn would get a sense of humor. 

I may be weird, but I can't imagine not being home when contractors are there working. I may be paranoid, but that the thought of leaving strangers in my house all day makes me uncomfortable. But I wouldn't be hovering and watching them the entire time either. 

• Love 5

Don't want to come across like a know-it-all but I did a pretty obsessive "Flipping Out" rewatch/deep dive this summer...

Yeah, he was 18. He told Dr. Donna on season 7 that his grandmother "stepped in" when he was around 14--I assume that's when his mother became sick. (I've never heard Jeff say she died of cancer but I assume she did. He's a big supporter of the American Cancer Society and often has clients donate old fixtures to them. Brian Austin Green got a $12,000 tax deduction from donating some lights to the American Cancer Society when they were still working on his renovation of the Bing Crosby/Taluca Lake house). 

He's also said that his mother was sort of critical and difficult to please, and his grandmother is also critical and difficult to please. When he was remodeling his grandmother's house a couple of years back, he took Carrie (his real estate agent and also his brother Todd's wife) to see her, and Carrie shared a story from Todd about their mom intentionally driving through puddles to splash passersby when the boys were young. Jeff laughed and confirmed that that had happened. 

Edited by Princess Kelbop
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

at happened to Jeff's grandmother? Did she pass away? I could be misremembering, but wasn't she on a season or so ago. Jeff was doing some sort of remodel at her house. I thought Zoila cleaned at her house a couple days a week. 

His grandmother is still alive, he talked about her recently on a podcast.

• Love 1

I think a little gratitude from Zoila would go a long way for Jeff. In his eyes, she does very little work and is getting paid regardless of how much or little she does, and seems to feel entitled. I think Jeff's correct, she is taking advantage and it's not right. Did she even say "thank you" when he told her he will take care of her financially for life, whether she continues to work for him or retires?

I can't really blame the homeowner (can't remember her name) for wanting to be home with workers in the house. I don't like being out of my house when I have someone here working, either. We did an extensive remodel a couple of years ago, and being a SAHM, I was able to be here most of the time (not looking over anybody's shoulder like the lady in this episode, just present in the house). There was a day that I told the workers I had to run a few errands and would be back in a couple of hours, and they were welcome to use the upstairs bathroom if they needed to. I made sure I closed the bedroom and closet doors that were near the upstairs bathroom before I left, but left the bathroom door open so they'd know it was where to go (plus, it's the first room in the hall, no need to go anywhere else in that part of the house). When I came back, the bedroom and closet doors had been opened. Nothing was missing, so I'm sure somebody was just snooping, but still...it made me very uncomfortable and I didn't leave workers in the house alone again. And I never offered the use of my bathroom again, either!

• Love 3

I could be wrong but wasn't the past dr intervition that the showed with Zoila and Jeff not actually about their relationship but Zoila's issues with Gage? Because it's been all about how Zoila interacting with anyone "new" in Jeff's personal life. I mean I know Gage and Zoila had issues last season but this was when he first moved in "on the show," you can literally see Gage in the background of Ryan's daughters birthday, so his introduction to the show wasn't actually when he came into her life.

• Love 2

Did everyone forget this is TV?

The pets are probably freaked out because there are camera crews everywhere. Zolia is a TV character, she is central to the show as a Jeff antagonist and the entire show is about Jeff antagonists.

Matt left Jeff (Bravo) for Kris (E!), guess who owns E! and Bravo? UBCUniversal.

Look forward to the soon to come series Keeping Up With Kris, a look at the zany office adventures of Kris Jenner while she tries to balance her office with her personal life.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, John M said:

Did everyone forget this is TV?

The pets are probably freaked out because there are camera crews everywhere. Zolia is a TV character, she is central to the show as a Jeff antagonist and the entire show is about Jeff antagonists.

Matt left Jeff (Bravo) for Kris (E!), guess who owns E! and Bravo? UBCUniversal.

Look forward to the soon to come series Keeping Up With Kris, a look at the zany office adventures of Kris Jenner while she tries to balance her office with her personal life.

They mentioned when Matt was hired that he left Kris to come for work for them. Jeff even said after Matt worked out so well that he was going to sit outside Kris's house and follow her assistants home and poach them because Kris trains her people well. The dogs and cat (still so sad about monkey), Jenny and Zoila all predate a reality show life with Jeff and even Gage was part of his personal life before his life blew up into crazy "reality show" life.

Jeff really needs to stop with using Jenny's exhusbands name when introducing her. It isn't shameful that she was married to a douche, she always used Pulos and has moved on to a dude that Jeff likes and they have a daughter together.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Oh my gosh, how did I forget when he went to remodel his grandmother's house?! Thanks, guys, for filling me in/reminding me. I have the memory of a fruit fly. 

Yea, I remember that. Grandma was a supreme bitch.  Jeff kind of lets the women in his life get away with a lot. 

• Love 2
On September 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM, connieinnc said:

My (ex) mother in law has been in the US for 50+ years and still speaks english with a very strong accent. She came to the US as an adult and it is very difficult to not speak with an accent when learning a language as an adult, so I definitely cut Zoila slack with regards to that issue.

I don't know if I agree. Immersion is a wonderful and miraculous thing in language if one is willing. I work with and have worked with many Mexican, Polish, Russian, Syrian, Persian, ect coworkers who speak great English and learned it later. zoilas accent is v thick and hard for me to understand, in fact each episode uses subtitles whereas on other shows on the same network like Shahs of Sunset characters who came from Iran as adults and learned English sound articulate. 

• Love 1

Zoila watches Spanish TV and probably reads Spanish books and newspapers. She now has the new maid to speak Spanish to all day and now lives with her daughter where they most likely speak Spanish. It's very difficult to l lose the accent when you still spend most of your time with your first language.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Zoila watches Spanish TV and probably reads Spanish books and newspapers. She now has the new maid to speak Spanish to all day and now lives with her daughter where they most likely speak Spanish. It's very difficult to l lose the accent when you still spend most of your time with your first language.

Exactly.  Plus, she likely speaks Spanish when she lives with her daughter/granddaughter.  As someone up-thread noted, this is TV.  It's "reality", so much of the antics are plotted, planned, and arguably scripted.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that Zoila has only continued to work at Jeff's for the few months (weeks?) of the year that they tape the show (ditto with Jenni).  When this all began a decade ago, Zoila was a significant presence, and I think that Jeff dearly and deeply loves everything about her, including her fiesty, though seemingly slow-witted banter.  As the years (and seasons) have gone by, she retained a place in his heart -- and in the cast.  But she is merely playing a role here.

It seems that this "season" will be 10 episodes, likely filmed over a 2-3 month span.  That's 9-10 months of the year when Zoila and Jenni are off living their real lives.

• Love 3

When Jeff came in after Zoila came back to work and told her he had made an appointment with Dr. Whoever, Zoila had a badly supressed smile on her face that clearly expressed that she was in on the plan (and not a great actress). I'm sure they worked out any changes in their "situation" long before unagi-gate and then wrote a dramatic script around it. It seems to me they have to totally create drama at this point because nothing volatile is really going on. Otherwise they are stuck trying to force drama out of such compelling shit as a client observing the workers or Jeff making a margarita. 

Gone are the days of the real firings and the heated Jeff/Ryan dissolution kind of stuff. 

• Love 3