Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor in Other Countries

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Thanks @marsdude89! I've been looking and yet to find it! 

@Kelda Feegle I know, bummer, didn't it used to be 2 or 3? 

Last epi, that girl was stuuuupid to hitch her post to that guy. She pretty much ensured he'd stay and she'd go. On top of it he back stabbed her and didn't even follow the plan! He was not sorry she took the bullet. --Can you tell I don't know their names yet. :)  

6 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Ermagherd watching 3 different versions at the same time is damn near killing me!

Yeah but I am enjoying the other countries Survivor far more than US version. At least so far 

Wasn't the French series the one as well that had the contestant who died of a heart attack, and the doctor ended up committing suicide because of the backlash?  It was a few years ago.  I enjoy Koh-Lanta so this is terrible if true.  With all the people around I'm stunned no one either witnessed it or stopped it.  Koh-Lanta trends on twitter so I always assumed it was very popular. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Wasn't the French series the one as well that had the contestant who died of a heart attack, and the doctor ended up committing suicide because of the backlash?  It was a few years ago.  I enjoy Koh-Lanta so this is terrible if true.  With all the people around I'm stunned no one either witnessed it or stopped it.  Koh-Lanta trends on twitter so I always assumed it was very popular. 

Yes, it was, and from what I read the contestant had a previous heart condition, so it's really tragic all around - not only him but the doctor too, and all their family and close ones. I'm also at a loss at what could have happened (French newspapers talk about rape...). I've never watched Koh-Lanta, just caught part of episodes here and there, but they didn't grip me. But indeed, the question is how this was not stopped, whatever it was that happens, it's mind-boggling that it wasn't stopped. Infuriating. So tragic.  

12 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

Yes, it was, and from what I read the contestant had a previous heart condition, so it's really tragic all around - not only him but the doctor too, and all their family and close ones. I'm also at a loss at what could have happened (French newspapers talk about rape...). I've never watched Koh-Lanta, just caught part of episodes here and there, but they didn't grip me. But indeed, the question is how this was not stopped, whatever it was that happens, it's mind-boggling that it wasn't stopped. Infuriating. So tragic.  

Thanks.  I did feel sorry for the doctor because it seemed like there was a lot of people blaming him for this person's death, and I think all he was was the attending physician (like our Dr. Joe).  I can't ever understand what they are saying, as my French isn't that fast or fluent anymore, but I've watched episodes and find it enjoyable.  I especially love their challenges compared to ours. 

I always was under the impression, on our version, that there were constantly people around at night-cameramen in case anything went down and just general staff.  It's weird.  If that's the case here I have to believe they'd be able to prove whether these claims are in fact true or not. 

I would have thought there were cameramen all the time there too, so that is an unpleasant surprise here, and I really feel for the contestant, because whether or not there were cameras around clearly didn't save her from something bad. I believe her claims, tragically, and if there was any doubt the season would not have been canceled (there might be some footage they got, even if there were no people around). 

• Love 1

I know @Kelda Feegle, especially since the first 2 epis were good. I like how they show more of the island life and actual strategy talk instead of just focusing on challenges like the US version. And it seems like the contestants are suffering more like in earlier US versions. US has gone a bit Club Med and you hardly ever hear the contestant worrying about hunger.

And yes, trying to keep 3 versions' people straight is doing my head in, too! 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I know @Kelda Feegle, especially since the first 2 epis were good. I like how they show more of the island life and actual strategy talk instead of just focusing on challenges like the US version. And it seems like the contestants are suffering more like in earlier US versions. US has gone a bit Club Med and you hardly ever hear the contestant worrying about hunger.

And yes, trying to keep 3 versions' people straight is doing my head in, too! 

FortunTELY Survivor Original comes to an end this week.

I was really interested in the casual way that multiple people were quite happy to rummage through the bag belonging to Martinhus, in Original so may forum posters were outraged that Desi snuck a look in someone else's bag, yet Martinhus said he had expected it.

I have no idea what Martinhus was doing at TC apart from blowing up his game, same with Werner being odd. Certainly made one of the women (the one with glasses) surprised that Martinhus was talking about alliances at TC.

Ace explaining why he was a dickhead back at camp was funny.

I like Tom but his honour play won't win him the game. I like Jeanne but her outspokenness won't win her the game.

They sure ate those chickens fast!

Edited by Kelda Feegle
additional thought
  • Love 1

I'm deciding to put my comments in spoilers since some of us might not be up on the latest episodes of NZ/SA.

NZ:

Spoiler

Dang it, I really wanted their plan to work. It almost did. They guy (JT?) was right to tell Eve not to waste the idol on him, that it would be 50/50 her or Liam. But they should have guessed of the 2, the others would target the bigger immunity threat.  

@TVbitch - it is difficult to know where everyone is at in their viewing hey. I've tried to be careful but I think I'll do the spoiler thingy also.

Spoiler

I really thought it was going to work too! It was a great and smart plan. I thought they would have kept Liam for the challenges for at least one more vote.

• Love 1

Catching up now - I've been in Fiji for a week on holiday! We actually boated past the island where Survivor Original is filmed and they are currently filming a series there.

NZ continues to entertain me

SouthAfrica does too.

• Love 1
On 5/26/2018 at 2:29 PM, amazingracefan said:

I don't think it makes sense having one thread, if anything they could have separate forums even.

Are we allowed to make separate threads for NZ and SA or do mods have to do that. I don't think there is enough traffic for them to allow separate forums. 

I just got caught up myself. 

NZ: I am not good with accents, so I didn't understand why the team conceded the challenge. Did they feel inappropriate manhandling Eve off the pole? I could not really make out what was being said. I do think some of these challenges get a bit physical and can see why it might be upsetting for a woman to be dragged about like that by two large men, but was not sure if Eve was actually upset or not. As for the vote, I think that will also come back to bite them. And, I think it is unfair to have two people who are friends outside the game be in the game together. It gives an unfair advantage that the others have no knowledge of and it has already cost two players their lives in the game. 

SA: I can't even remember why they voted her out? (epi 5) I was tired, is it worth rewatching? 

On 6/4/2018 at 6:58 PM, TVbitch said:

Are we allowed to make separate threads for NZ and SA or do mods have to do that. I don't think there is enough traffic for them to allow separate forums. 

I just got caught up myself. 

NZ: I am not good with accents, so I didn't understand why the team conceded the challenge. Did they feel inappropriate manhandling Eve off the pole? I could not really make out what was being said. I do think some of these challenges get a bit physical and can see why it might be upsetting for a woman to be dragged about like that by two large men, but was not sure if Eve was actually upset or not. As for the vote, I think that will also come back to bite them. And, I think it is unfair to have two people who are friends outside the game be in the game together. It gives an unfair advantage that the others have no knowledge of and it has already cost two players their lives in the game. 

SA: I can't even remember why they voted her out? (epi 5) I was tired, is it worth rewatching? 

With one thread for everything you're bound to have little traffic, it's like it has no importance and is hidden away, makes absolute sense to at least have different threads.

NZ - Eve seemed to have a bad reaction after having done it, but they have to know that these kind of challenges are part of Survivor.  Also there was a big guy on their tribe who could have taken her role anyway.  I guess they weren't allowed to switch roles once they had started, but it was bad strategy by them anyway.

SA - Apparently she wasn't into the game anymore (maybe as she didn't feel she had an alliance and she got criticised a lot in the challenge), though that only seemed to get revealed at the end from what I could see.  I didn't mind her going, kept the main players in.

• Love 1

I... I think Survivor South Africa: Philippines miiiight be my favourite season ever? Every single episode has been fucking insane, AND it doesn't have the pacing issues that Australian Survivor does. Incredible.

• Love 2

Wow players on South Africa are actually willing to shake things up! Very fun to watch, Survivor is much more interesting without so many “advantages” and when the people all know the game.

• Love 1

Did that guy have an idol on him, I can't remember. 

Meanwhile over in NZ... Seriously?! They set a 20 minute time limit on a challenge?! It wasn't even a hard physical challenge! Did they have somewhere else to be that day? Still annoying me how the two friends who know each other outside the game is proving to be the demise of so many players. Unfair advantage. 

• Love 1

Just watched the latest Survivor SA. I honestly had NO idea who was with who or what their past and/or current and/or potential alliances were. I think next time, I will have to restrain myself to 1 Survivor at a time. 

Bummer to see Eve go on NZ. But good job on what's-her-name finally getting Matt out without Dave fucking it up! Did Matt have 1 or 2 idols at the time of elimination, I forget.   

Meanwhile on every episode of SA, I keep asking myself, wait? What? Who is Vana? And having to re-realize that is how they pronouce Werner. 

I guess I am the only one still keeping up with NZ and SA?! And now AUS will be coming up 8/1! 

On NZ. Adam's post elimination Pondersa video was very interesting and worth watching. Matt's there trying to get everyone on the jury to vote for his Dave, but still keeping it a secret that he are Dave are very good friends outside of the game. But he decides to tell Adam cuz Adam was his tribe ally. As soon as Matt leaves, it doesn't take Adam long to realize that the secret friendship essentially cost HIM (and several others) their place in the game. I still think it's bullshit and I hope no Survivors do it again. 

And because it must be said, what is going above Tess' lip! Can't they give her a courtesy wax! 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I guess I am the only one still keeping up with NZ and SA?! And now AUS will be coming up 8/1! 

On NZ. Adam's post elimination Pondersa video was very interesting and worth watching. Matt's there trying to get everyone on the jury to vote for his Dave, but still keeping it a secret that he are Dave are very good friends outside of the game. But he decides to tell Adam cuz Adam was his tribe ally. As soon as Matt leaves, it doesn't take Adam long to realize that the secret friendship essentially cost HIM (and several others) their place in the game. I still think it's bullshit and I hope no Survivors do it again. 

And because it must be said, what is going above Tess' lip! Can't they give her a courtesy wax! 

You are not alone! I'm still trying to keep up - wasn't helped by bingewatching an entire previous season of SA (I wanted to see how the teams with captains/coaches format would work).

Plus TAR Canada is on now as well!

• Love 1

NZ - right winner. But as I have said from the get go, having two good friends in the game (without everyone knowing) was totally unfair and ended up being unfair even to them. They agreed to keep it a secret so I think Matt outing Dave to the jury was bullshit, even though I would have hated to see Dave win.  

I liked the old final tribal agenda, with the opening speeches and individual questions versus the new US collective gang thing.   

The after show was great. Hey Probst, this is what it used to be and should still be. Please take note! The host asking the questions we all wanted asked, talking to most of the cast, focusing on the game and how it evolved. Even challenging some of the contestants answers. No chatter with random audience members or celebrities or advertising promos. Tess making light that her mustache was front and center on screen and that she was aware and concerned about it was awesome! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Russell Hantz as one of the Survivors.  God help Australia, that's all I have to say!

It's Australia...what's one more venomous snake going to do?

• Love 4

And guess who was the second person voted out of Australian Survivor -- after refusing to play his idol at tribal because he thought everyone was bluffing and his "alliance" would have his back.  Yet true to form, he insists that if it had worked, it would have been the greatest move in Survivor history!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Well, he officially topped Sandra.  She's a two time winner, but nothing beats a 4 time loser-and he did it on two different series.

Cirie is a four-time loser, too. Let's not lump them together!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cherrypj said:

Cirie is a four-time loser, too. Let's not lump them together!

I couldn't even fathom putting the two in the same category.  Cirie is a four time loser that never made it to the finals because she would have won (and went out twice due to twists- a fire making tie breaker and stupid idol-geddon).  Russell made the finals twice and couldn't win.  And now he's lost on an international version of the show.

• Love 1

So are we posting about Australian Survivor here and not in the Austalian Survivor forum that is under the lettter "A"? 

Glad Russell is gone, and to see most of the players were not impressed by him.  

Survivor NZ had the weirdest Final Four dynamic I've ever seen. It was 3 against 1, but the 1 had immunity. She wanted a specific one of the other 3 gone. The 3, though, didn't want him out. Not that they'd have much choice, you'd think, as there's no one else to vote for, right? 

But! One of the 3 has an "epiphany" and genius plan... The 3 will lie to the 1 about who is they're each voting for, so that her vote is wasted. Then 2 of them will blindside her, and vote for the person who came up with the plan. That way, she steps aside so that the members of her alliance go through. 

I've never seen someone orchestrate a complicated blindside to get themselves voted out. 

@Charlesman She said she felt "complete" with her journey and thought Dave deserved it more and wanted Lisa to fulfill her dream of being in the final. She also didn't think she would get many votes. When she later found out about the prior Dave/Matt friendship and all the lies, she said she would not have done it. 

SA - I thought they both performed very badly at final tribal.

Jeanne lost the win at tribal. She couldn't stop talking about how much her game depended on luck instead of emphasizing her clutch immunity wins and being the one to convince Tom to finally take out Warner. Anna was trying to clue her in by saying..."so, would you say you were responisble for taking out the Don?????" And Jeanne said no, it was a group thing. Get a clue, woman! 

As for Tom, Katinka was trying to tell him she respected her own blindside, but Tom cried and said he regretted it and wished he could have just kept all his promises. She's like, dude, then you wouldn't even be there! I am trying to advocate for you! 

@Kelda Feegle Why don't you watch AU? 

@TVbitch I never watch the final voting stuff where players have to big note themselves, or respond to egregious that are only from pissed off people etc so I just ff, so I'm sorry Jeanne made a mess of her speech. It also makes me really uncomfortable to hear contestants beg for the dollars, which has also happened, hence the ff of all versions of the show.

I don't watch the Australian iteration coz I'm Australian and they drive me batshit!  Lol.

• Love 1

Someone recommended that I watch the Australian and South African versions.  I just started Season 6 of the South African version. It took me quite some time to recognize they were speaking English. I forgot the deep Dutch heritage so many South Africans have. I suppose the heavy accents they are speaking are Dutch?

At first glance, I saw some guy in a well tailored suit and tie and I thought, "There's the first boot". But then some lady started talking. In less than a minute, she told the audience, "This will be a piece of cake". I decided she will be the first boot.

It's kind of wild to see how a different host and people from a different culture play this game. Funny how so much of the show is scripted the same as how Jeff speaks. I wonder if he is EP for every country or just the USA? Can anyone point me to any rules about spoilers or speculation or anything I need to be careful about? I guess I can't really spoil anything since Season 6 is all over now.

After watching half of the episode, I could only understand about 30 percent of what was said. This may be more difficult than I realized.

After finishing the first episode, I can't say anything negative about these people (both the contestants and the producers). But I just can't understand what they are saying and that makes it very hard to continue watching. I'm getting on in years and so my difficulty may not be the same for you. I would recommend you give one episode a try and see what you think for yourselves.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, TVbitch said:

@Kelda Feegle Oh no! The US one drives my more batshit than AU. Do you watch NZ? I enjoyed that one. 

I tried to watch the NZ version and I was bored to tears.  I watched about half the first season and the first four episodes of the second season.  Though I will admit that I did check out the outcome of season two and upon seeing the winner I was like, "Really?  That person was such a non-factor in the episodes I watched.  Maybe I should go back and check out the rest of the season."

• Love 1