Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor in Other Countries

Kromm
  • Start Topic

@MissBluxom I didn't have much trouble with the SA accents, but you might have better luck with the Australian or New Zealand accents. Or maybe you can turn closed captioning on while you get used to the accents, which I think gets easier over time. 

@BK1978 To be honest, I can't even remember what happened or who won on NZ. Between SA, AU, NZ and US - it all becomes a blur. But I do love the show so pretty much will watch all of them even if the season isn't particularly great. I do like that the foreign ones do not seem to be quite so manipulated for drama. 

• Love 1

I loved AU and NZ because I love winners who likely would’ve been pre-merge boots on the OG (U.S. Survivor).

And NZ Matt and Dave’s nebulous past was one of the funniest things on reality TV this year. They went from “went to the same high school” on the first episode to “one of my oldest and dearest friends” by the end. Their relationship grew in the telling of it every episode.

I’d love to meet the casting director who screwed that up (and the one who missed that Benji was Anneliese’s brother on Survivor AU).

• Love 1

I just finished watching the first season of Survivor NZ and have a couple of items I'd like to mention.

First, I was very surprised when the host said the grand prize was $100K. I assume he was referring to NZ$ naturally. So I went searching to see how the US$ and NZ$ compare.

I found the NZ$ is about 0.68 US$ which seems very close to other English speaking countries like Australia and Canada. Still, it was very strange to hear the contestants talk and act like they would be willing to do anything to win the money. I have often turned away from other shows like Big Brother Canada because even though people say it's great, I just can't get past the fact that they seem to be awarding a grand prize that is just peanuts (comparatively speaking). I can't imagine risking life and limb to play Survivor for 7 percent of the money that is paid to US players who have to endure the same hardships and challenges.

I continued to have problems understanding what people were saying and only a very small number of lines were subtitled.

But it wasn't a total bust. I really enjoyed a few of the players - especially the elderly ex-military man who bitterly complained saying words to the effect:

"People know that New Zealanders are very relaxed and laid back. We will overlook many things. But there is one thing that New Zealanders will never overlook. We absolutely cannot abide  "backstabbers". He said this after he felt he had been evicted as a result of a backstabber and I think he was quite right about that.

But I got the feeling that whatever the reason for his eviction, he would have said, "The one thing New Zealanders cannot abide is a "substitute whatever he would have considered the reason". So that was pretty funny.

Finally, this season also had a "Redemption Island" which was a terrible idea in the US game and it was equally terrible in the NZ game.

But, all in all, I would be tempted to watch more seasons of the NZ Survivor. But as far as Australia and South Africa go, I'm afraid there was just too much about them that I found made them difficult to watch without constant rewinding to play what was said over and over. I just couldn't understand the language. I really tried. Honest.

• Love 1

@MissBluxom You might try the UK show "The Island with Bear Grylls". Those accents might be easier for you. There is no money, the whole group just tries to survive for 6 weeks and even the camera operators are part of the survival party. People do tap out for medical and psychological reasons. ... Avoid the "Celebrity Island" version of this show though! 

Also, you might also enjoy "Alone" which is a US wilderness survival show with a million dollar prize for whoever lasts the longest and all American accents! 

• Love 1

@TVbitch Thank you very much. You certainly are right about the English accents. I have never had any problem trying to understand someone from the UK.

In addition, I remember some Brit shows that were extremely enjoyable. I forget the name of one such show because I watched it many years ago. But it was about a doctor who lived in Cornwall and I really enjoyed that. I remember it was very nice to learn that Cornwall was located at the very tip of the island. If I remember, it was at the SW tip or SE tip. It must have been the SW tip.

But I'm now kind of tired of the "Survivor type" show - especially since the Brits are really talented when it comes to class shows like Masterpiece Theatre and the like. If I was going to explore some new TV shows, I think I'd like to try some scripted shows with some highly skilled actors and written by some experienced writers. My feeling is that I might as well take advantage of the kinds of things the Brits do better than most anyone else. When it comes to "high brow" drama, no one can top the Brits. At least - that has always been my experience. When it comes to Survivor type shows, the Survivor USA is currently the King of the Hill and so I don't really feel like I would be likely to discover any new Brit shows that would top some of the existing scripted shows. But I'd love to try some new British scripted dramas. There is one thing I'd like to ask you however. When it comes to "Police dramas", I've found the British type of show has fallen down so to speak. Most of those shows I've seen recently have just not been very well done. Would you have any recommendations for some good recent British scripted dramas? Some of those shows are really difficult to top.

P.S. I just remembered the name of that British doctor TV show where he lived in Cornwall. It was Doc Martin and the reason I think that show was so good was on account of the lady who played his love interest. She was a great actor. I'm pretty sure that s how is over and done with now. But I will have to search to see if she is currently active on any other shows.

Thank you again!

• Love 1

That was nuts. What a moron. The evictee was a good sport about it. Sorry to see them go.

I'm finding this season quite entertaining. --a refreshing palate cleanser from the dreck that was Survivor US. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Hey fellow SA watchers! I'm only one ep in so far but will catch up. Nico looks fiiiiine as always.

Also -shut up Tania, Paul is dumb, keep your idols secret ffs, and I would have taken the firestarter for tribal goodwill.

Edited by Kelda Feegle
additional
  • Love 1

Jacque goes from being dumb to being smart to being dumb to being smart, and I like that! 

Yes good plan, well acted. I can't really keep track of who is who until it gets down a few more but I appreciate that there are no "made for TV" personalities. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Jacque goes from being dumb to being smart to being dumb to being smart, and I like that! 

Yes good plan, well acted. I can't really keep track of who is who until it gets down a few more but I appreciate that there are no "made for TV" personalities. 

*waves*

nice to catch up with you 🙂

there are one or two contestants that I know next to nothing about but I have a fair handle on the rest I think, at least I don't feel like they are introducing a new player each week in this iteration!

real people is a winner for me, not archetypes or mactors

• Love 1
On 6/14/2019 at 5:50 AM, Matteo said:

Can you watch this on YouTube? What is the easiest way? Need my Survivor fix! 

The South Africa season I found on the official Survivor channel is season 4, I think. It's Survivor: Maldives and features a group of regular South Africans and a group of celebrities. Not sure how old it is, but I am enjoying it. 

Any news on when the Australian version is coming back?  I remember it being on around August through September but I cannot recall if it typically started at the end of July.

I don't think they made the right choice in the most recent episode, yes a big threat physically but not so much socially, the other option has more bonds, he's smart and strong. 

Side note, what's the rule about spoilers here? Nobody watches the international versions at the same time at all.

• Love 1

I don't think it is a spoiler if an episode has aired. I wouldn't dare come here unless I was up-to-date.

Help me out @Kelda Feegle, cuz my memory is crap. Was that what Nathan wanted to happen? Who is in Nathan's secret alliance? I really can't keep all the people straight yet! 

I'm still liking Jacques ...unless he gets stupid again! :) He really needs a sammich, though! I think they starve them more than US Survivor. 

I was just looking at the cast that has been leaked thus far for the new season of Australian Survivor.  Most of the players are in their 30's, 40's, and 50's.  It is like bizarro American Survivor.  You would never see a tribe that was made up of mostly middle aged people unless it was part of the theme.

Australia's current season is shaping up to be an even bigger dud than last year.

Thank fuck for Survivor South Africa. I'm loving how even though the Island of Secrets is literally just Ghost Island With A Twist Every Week, they've handled it so competently that it feels new and exciting. Between this and the Outpost on the dearly departed Survivor NZ last year, and Australia working more closely with the Survivor US crew these last two years, it's almost like this show does still have a lot of life in it when Probst et Al aren't involved.

• Love 1

I haven’t watched Australian Survivor before, but I am enjoying the season so far. It’s frustrating that the Contenders can’t pull out a rewards challenge win to break the Champions’ streak, but at least they’re coming through when it really matters.

Thank you Casey for exposing David’s deception! I was hoping Pia would share that info to mount an attack against David, but maybe she just didn’t feel this was the right time. Not a fan of ET but he’s been really solid in challenges so it was really dumb of them to vote him off.

• Love 5

Did Survivor NZ get canceled?! Noooo!

I am enjoying AU and SA. I find the AU cast pretty likeable, even the "assholes". They are working really hard to make David a villain, when really he is just playing a good game. The tribal when ET went home, the host practically told them that David was running the game and making people follow orders. I thought it over-stepped. 

Did I hear right and ET said "good luck Luke" in his end clip. Did they even air one thing Luke said at that tribal. I wish they wouldn't try so hard to edit together tribal bits showing little sneers and side glances that are obviously spliced in for maximum drama. 

Anyhoo, I can't help but root for Luke. ...for now. 

• Love 3

Yeah it got cancelled pretty much immediately after the season aired last year, and the host is now doing a completely different reality show having to complete challenges while starving on a tropical island. (My guess is the rights to the Survivor name were too expensive for the NZ broadcaster.)

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I am enjoying AU and SA. I find the AU cast pretty likeable, even the "assholes". They are working really hard to make David a villain, when really he is just playing a good game. The tribal when ET went home, the host practically told them that David was running the game and making people follow orders. I thought it over-stepped. 

Did I hear right and ET said "good luck Luke" in his end clip. Did they even air one thing Luke said at that tribal. I wish they wouldn't try so hard to edit together tribal bits showing little sneers and side glances that are obviously spliced in for maximum drama. 

Yup, I heard ET say something to the effect of, “Go Champions, and go Luke.”

I agree, Jonathan overstepped a bit. He was reeeeally trying to elicit a reaction by repeatedly calling them “good foot soldiers.” I’m surprised Ross (I think that’s who one of those remarks was directed at) didn’t take the bait.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Yeah I caught that bit about Luke as well.  Was that meant as ET saying Luke was not a "Champion" like the others?  Or was he just cheering on Luke individually?  

I took it as the former.

I was shocked when I saw how old Pia was.  I mean she not old but I had her pegged as being in her early 30's.

• Love 1

So bummed for Jacques. A good player smothered by a bunch of moronic non-players. I hope he gets a chance to play again, and that his wife had already been flown in and he at least gets to see her at their Ponderosa. 

The only one left to root for is Mike. Mumba, Nicole, Letitia, Dural are unbearable non-entities. Steffi enrages me. Rob is trying to be Boston Rob, and succeeding because he is surrounded by lame sheep. This is most likely not going to have a satisfying conclusion. But at least the jury totally hating on them at each tribal is enjoyable.  

I don't follow Survivor beyond the American version. Earlier this year, there was a guy who appeared on The Challenge: Turabi Çamkıran, better known as "Turbo." It turns out he not only won two editions of the Turkish version of Survivor, he did that back-to-back. I'm just curious if anyone else in the world has pulled that off, and if there are other two-time winners, like Turbo and Sandra.

Oh, and Turbo wound up winning War of the Worlds. I'm torn whether he's a demigod or a mythical beast (i.e., Minotaur).

Hi, everyone! 🙂

I want to share with all of you that I started uploading the Bulgarian version of Survivor with subtitles on my youtube channel.

This is the first episode -) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0HHd9X7Alo&t=3s

If you are interested, check it out and we can discuss the episodes 🙂

I'll keep uploading episodes on my second channel, here -) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQKtJMhTJZy19pqFDHh91g

Edited by JoshF
  • Love 2

This is a description about the women contestants 🙂 

1) Marina, 19, volleyball player, she won the title "The most beautiful volleyball player". She wants to contest in Survivor because she said that her family didn't believe she could cope with this. She wants to prove them wrong.

2) Vania, 23, personnel soldier, She wants to contest in Survivor because she wants to prove that women-soldiers could deal with difficult situations.

3) Silvia, 27, massage therapist. Attractive, strong woman, she wants to contest in Survivor to win the big reward and also as a compensation for stopping with the active sport.

4) Evgenia/Jenny, 18, swimmer. She's won a golden medal from a swimming competition. She's got in total 78 swimming medals from competitions. Ambitious girl. She says that she's got a strong character and the sport has contributed for that.

5) Ivanka, 46, employee in a private company. She loves fishing and hiking. She's married. She says that she wants to buy a house in New Zealand. She wants to prove that women on her age can also show something in Survivor.

6) Silvia R, 29, motorcyclist. She's been a dancer and clothes designer. She's lived 5 years in France, Belgium and Austria.

7) Yana, 29, actress. She practices kick-boxing, tae bo and horse-riding. She's a strong girl, an ex-athlete. She's outspoken and doesn't like schemes.

8/ Gergana, 31, a manager of a sports club. She's won the second place of one of the republican championships of classical bodybuilding.

9) Geri, 23, a programmer. She's a partner in a software company. Before that she's had a job as a photographer. She practices badminton.

10) Yanita, 21, student. She's had a job as a bartender. She likes singing and dancing. She's practiced rhythmic gymnastics for 7 years. She's hoping that there are people like her in Survivor - goofy and ready to do crazy stuff.

11) Galina, 34, a psychologist. Her motive for contesting in Survivor is to give herself an earned adventure.

Marina1.jpg

Vania1.jpg

Silvia1.jpg

Evgenia1.jpg

Ivanka1.jpg

SilviaR1.jpg

Yana1.jpg

Gergana1.jpg

Geri.jpg

Yanita1.jpg

Galina1.jpg

• Love 1

Thanks at JoshF. I will check it out. Please keep uploading the episodes. I would hate to get into it only to have them stop! Survivor AU and SA are coming to an end, so I might wait for them to end before I get into this one. 

Also, it's not Survivor but "Treasure Island with Bear Grylls" has started and it is sort of the same thing-ish. Only harsher conditions and the camermen are also contenstants. 

• Love 1

Thank you for your comment! 🙂 This gets me motivated to keep uploading them. But still the Bulgarian language is not easy to be translated so it takes time. That's why please be patient. I won't stop. 🙂 I'll be glad to keep me updated when you start watching them. 

• Love 2

I already did but there is only one person that commented... I don't think they are that interested in versions other than the US... I personally enjoyed this Bulgarian season and I hope whoever watches it would enjoy it too.

1) Zdravko, 37, goalkeeper. He was 2 times a champion of Bulgaria with the football teams - Levski and Slavia. An ex-goalkeeper.

2) Phillip, 28, a cook. He had jobs as a hunter, ironmonger and a soldier. He is interested in poetry, history and psychology. He learns about Buddhism.  He's lived in a refugee camp in China for a year and a half. He's been a wolf hunter in Mongolia for 2 years. He's spent a year in the French Legion.

3) Nikolai/Niki, 40, an extreme sports instructor. He likes motorsports and diving. He's extremely motivated to contest in Survivor. He says that he contests in Survivor in order for him to protect his family's pride. (His daughters were contestants in the previous season.)

This is all I could find about the men contestants... (This season is very old - it is from year 2008) 

Also, this is the playlist -) 

You can watch all the episodes that I'll be uploading without missing any. 🙂 

zdravko.jpg

filip_survivor.jpg

nikolai.jpg

Edited by JoshF