Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

Survivor in Other Countries

Recommended Posts

I see it as Kristie mostly flailed about and got lucky, then spun one hell of a tale about how "she meant to do that." If either Lee or El had won final immunity, we'd be talking about how dumb Kristie played the whole time. But, good on her, she won it, she spun it, and Lee looked like a man on death row sitting there letting her tell her well rehearsed stories of survival against all odds. He wasn't even putting up a fight. Glad it was renewed. 

PS. I couldn't make out what Lee said right before he let go of the statue at the challenge. Did he take the final two deal or say something else? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

PS. I couldn't make out what Lee said right before he let go of the statue at the challenge. Did he take the final two deal or say something else? 

I don't know what he said but I read an interview in which he said he didn't take the deal; his body just gave out.

Edited by cousin oliver

Share this post


Link to post

So to recap, a final two with an 8-1 jury vote in a season where there was basically only one viable winner edit from about 2/3 of the way through STILL wound up being more tense than any US season since, like, Guatemala.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:19 AM, Catstorm said:

You could watch it on channel 10s official website but you would need to get around Geo-locking. Not that hard and it's free to watch as well. 

Also if anyone cares Australian survivor just got renewed for a second season. 

Sorry for my late response, but thank you for the response.  I will have to try it out.

Though I have yet to watch what I missed, I am glad that Kristie won.  Funny thing was, I thought Kristie would be the goat if she ended up in the finals but I guess that did not turn out to be the case.  I also think it is cool that the final three consisted of three people from the original Aganoa tribe.  The original Aganoa tribe seemed to inept to me at the start of the game and yet El, Lee, and Kristie were all there at the end of the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The French version (Koh-Lanta) is also airing.  The season premiered back in March, but the episodes are on Youtube.  It's one of my favorite versions for challenges and twists.

Edited by LadyChatts

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

Survivor New Zealand is airing.

Just saw Episode 1 online, and I quite enjoyed it. Then again, I briefly enjoyed Survivor Australia when that started too, and it just got to be too much. But S:NZ is a normal length season with a normal sized cast, so it's already got that over S:AU. We got to see fairly classic archetypes in the casting too, including the arrogant self-professed superfan who winds up being pretty blatantly stupid. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Kromm said:

the arrogant self-professed superfan who winds up being pretty blatantly stupid. 

Dan Foley's Kiwi cousin?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Been watching Survivor: NZ with my Kiwi girlfriend. Both of us have been super-impressed with it so far—the overall quality of the cinematography and editing is up there with the US version. It all "feels" like a legitimate Survivor series, and I'm hoping its lesser number of players means it won't have what I considered to be a mid-season slump with Australian Survivor. My only problem so far has been that I find the background music too loud at times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2017 at 5:10 PM, marsdude89 said:

Been watching Survivor: NZ with my Kiwi girlfriend. Both of us have been super-impressed with it so far—the overall quality of the cinematography and editing is up there with the US version. It all "feels" like a legitimate Survivor series, and I'm hoping its lesser number of players means it won't have what I considered to be a mid-season slump with Australian Survivor. My only problem so far has been that I find the background music too loud at times.

I have only watched ep 1 so far but completely agree about the camera work and scenery AND the background music. It was an interesting start with the thievery straight up.

Glad I'm not the only one watching!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Is there a version of the French Survivor that has sub-titles somewhere? Bear Gryll's "The Island" is also currently running. There's no prize, challenges or camera crews on that one, just participants surviving on an island. 

Liking NZ so far. Doesn't seem to be a bunch of "casted" beautiful people.  It seems most of the cast have seen US seasons, so why is no one searching for an immunity idol?! 

Share this post


Link to post

I like it so far.  Small random things that kind of annoyed me so far.

1. Why are the contestants folding their voting papers horizontally?   That is driving me crazy.
2. The double tribal council, without a challenge is crap.  So of course one of the first bootees, is essentially judged by outer appearance.  It also doesn't help that apparently contestants were talking to each other before the game started, which totally takes away the point.
3.  The host butchering the pronunciation of Nicaragua.

The opening challenge was pretty hilarious though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Who does everyone suspect is getting the winner's edit so far for NZ? So early, but my immediate reaction leans toward Sala or Avi.

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, marsdude89 said:

Who does everyone suspect is getting the winner's edit so far for NZ? So early, but my immediate reaction leans toward Sala or Avi.

I was thinking Sala also but he might be one of the players who goes down with honour playing not smart playing. I really don't like Avi and I'm not sure why.

The judging a person on appearance really came back to bite them haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

How is everyone from the States watching this?  I was going to look to see if this was on YouTube but YouTube has the nasty habit of taking these shows down just as soon as they are put up (Screw you YouTube I still got to watch the entire season of BB Can 5 despite your efforts to stop me).  I just don't want to get invested in this only to not see the end, which is what happened to me with the last season of Australian Survivor.

Edited by BK1978

Share this post


Link to post

Latest episode reminds me of Season 3 Africa where the young people are awful to the 2 older people. And then a tribe swap completely changes things and a couple of the young ones are screwed. Hard to feel too bad for Georgia and probably Shannon next week. Also reminding me why I don't like Redemption Island.

Share this post


Link to post

I havent been watching bc Australian Survivor went downhill fast and it was such a timesuck. Glad to read that it is normal size. Is the NZ version very old school-feeling?

I might watch it this Memorial Day weekend just to see if I can read the edgic.

Edited by thehepburn

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

I havent been watching bc Australian Survivor went downhill fast and it was such a timesuck. Glad to read that it is normal size. Is the NZ version very old school-feeling?

I might watch it this Memorial Day weekend just to see if I can read the edgic.

Looks like there aren't any idols in it, so it's old-school-feeling in that regard. We also get to see more of camp life, due to there being two episodes a week.

 

21 hours ago, BK1978 said:

How is everyone from the States watching this?  I was going to look to see if this was on YouTube but YouTube has the nasty habit of taking these shows down just as soon as they are put up (Screw you YouTube I still got to watch the entire season of BB Can 5 despite your efforts to stop me).  I just don't want to get invested in this only to not see the end, which is what happened to me with the last season of Australian Survivor.

11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't know. If you find out please me me know!

Torrents are the way to go. Not sure how much more on that I can say on a public forum...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/25/2017 at 1:29 AM, BK1978 said:

How is everyone from the States watching this?  I was going to look to see if this was on YouTube but YouTube has the nasty habit of taking these shows down just as soon as they are put up (Screw you YouTube I still got to watch the entire season of BB Can 5 despite your efforts to stop me).  I just don't want to get invested in this only to not see the end, which is what happened to me with the last season of Australian Survivor.

 

15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't know. If you find out please me me know!

 

If you're referring to NZ, check out this link.

Share this post


Link to post

Watching streaming content is legal as long as you don't download anything. Below is the actual law:
 

"When the user downloads even part of a file — called "pseudo-streaming" — it counts as a copy of copyrighted material, which is illegal. And when the user streams content as a "public performance" — namely, when it's shown to a substantial number of people outside the normal family circle and its close acquaintances — it also constitutes a copyright violation.

[ Outside of these cases, accessing unlicensed streamed content is generally legal."]   Downloading and uploading is a form of making a copy and is illegal.

 

I would recommend you get a good blocker like uBlock Origin and a something to check for Malware.  I could no longer afford cable, so I've been viewing free for over a year.  I've only picked up Malware a few times. 

 

I'm 70, and if I can figure out how to find it without help, anyone can.  But I'm happy to send people the info on the best place I've found in a message. If the Mods don't want me to do that, let me know.

I don't think there is a rule about passing along legal info.

 

Australia was one of my all time favorites.  I've never seen anyone win in that way.   NZ is low budget and old school. But I think there is too much time spent watching people talk strategy because not much of it is very brilliant and people just repeat themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watched the Australian version of Survivor and it was boring. I couldn't get behind anyone. The only one I liked got voted out early (Barry), after that I lost interest in the season. My friend convinced me to keep watching it, he kept telling me it would become good. So I watched.. nothing happened. I found out that he wanted me to suffer the way he suffered through it. I think I skipped the last 4 episodes and jumped to the final tribal council where that girl won (don't remember her name). It was a big joke and I probably wont give the new season a chance.

If you want to watch great international Survivor, the South African version is the one you want to watch. Just finished watching Season 5: South Africa Champions. It's definitely one of the best seasons of Survivor I have ever seen (including the US ones).

It's too bad most of you guys wont ever watch the danish version. That one has the most hilarious evil host in history of all the Survivor shows. I remember in one season a couple years back, he walked into the contestants' camp in the middle of the night, woke them up and told them there's a challenge right now (it was that kind where you had to stand straight with your arm while balancing a knife), the one who dropped first was out of the competition (and I think it was final 6 or something).

If you're not into that kind of eliminations, you wont like it. It's very different from the US survivor we all know. Before the merge, he would get everyone on a boat, tell them to jump out and the last one to shore would be out of the competition.

Also when people quit the show, he trash talks them all the way back to Denmark. That's one thing he does not tolerate on the show, is weak people. If you guys are ever in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Finland), then you should give it a watch definitely. It's called Robinson Ekspeditionen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks! Will watch South African. Would love to watch Danish and others, but very hard to find them with subtitles. 

So far, I'm liking NZ better than many of the latest US versions. I appreciate the time given to camp life, and the lack of drama casting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MrYunis said:

It's too bad most of you guys wont ever watch the danish version. That one has the most hilarious evil host in history of all the Survivor shows. I remember in one season a couple years back, he walked into the contestants' camp in the middle of the night, woke them up and told them there's a challenge right now (it was that kind where you had to stand straight with your arm while balancing a knife), the one who dropped first was out of the competition (and I think it was final 6 or something).

For some reason I'm now picturing Gordon Ramsey from Hell's Kitchen hosting this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Thanks! Will watch South African. Would love to watch Danish and others, but very hard to find them with subtitles. 

So far, I'm liking NZ better than many of the latest US versions. I appreciate the time given to camp life, and the lack of drama casting. 

I cant even find the early seasons of the show anywhere, there's only a few videos of it on YouTube, definitely none with subs sadly.

10 hours ago, simplyme said:

For some reason I'm now picturing Gordon Ramsey from Hell's Kitchen hosting this.

593c036157cb4_Robinson2010.jpg.2c7547a5b16b9eaacf62e33368358b77.jpg

^. Here's a picture of him. He used to play football for Chelsea (for any football fans out there/or Chelsea fans). Just last season he threw someone out of the show for being too lazy and complaining all the time. He called her a walking disaster and threw her out right after they voted someone else out.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone still watching? I'm enjoying the slower pace and getting to see more of the tedium of camp life and them getting bored with other's conversation. You would never see that awesome "we are so bored let's have a crab race" in US Survivor! Production did well to link cute crab drama to the narrative. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yup, still watching and enjoying. A bit bummed Shannon stopped playing, as that killed her game. Mike's departure also bummed me out. I'm rooting for Tom.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Poor Mike. First stuck on Redemption forever, fights his way back, then can't even play cuz he's totally blocked by an infuriating "Don't talk to me. I'm not playing. I'm not trying to win." Barb!  I was rooting for Tom, too., but want to meet Avi just see what kind of magic dust he gives off. I never really got the great Sala love, especially after tribal. Yikes! 

Finally, now that was a reunion show! Calling people out on stuff that wasn't even show on TV, bloopers, hard questions, and genuine emotion and laughs from the whole cast. Probst has been softballing it with the players in the reunion shows for many years now.  

PS. Good lord was Tom good looking at the reunion. As Shay flat out implied, maybe that is why Avi was determined to keep him around!   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Finally caught up on NZ - jeebus they were harsh to Barb. I was glad to see Mike go as he had been so rude about 'the old people'  it made me angry. Fair winner tho I hadn't really adored Avi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

No one is watching the Australian Survivor (season 4)?  The second episode was amazing.  Crazy tribal council.  Also was not expecting uh the lack of censoring in the reward challenge.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, seltzer3 said:

No one is watching the Australian Survivor (season 4)?  The second episode was amazing.  Crazy tribal council.  Also was not expecting uh the lack of censoring in the reward challenge.

There is a separate forum for the AU version - under Australian Survivor in the A - sorry I don't know how to link

Share this post


Link to post

I have watched the first three episodes of New Zealand Survivor and I have to say I find it to be really boring.  I really cannot pinpoint why that is the case but it is.  Maybe it is a casting problem, I am not sure.  I just have not enjoyed it thus far.

Share this post


Link to post

I caught an episode of French Survivor, which is called Koh Lanta but takes place in... Fiji!!!

I dont know if the episode I saw is typical or not for the show: because someone had previously been medevaced, the last two voted out, who had been voted off as a pair (???) were to take part in a duel, with the winner getting back in the game.

Afterwards, bla bla bla, immunity challenge (pretty good, by the way, with various elimination steps, meaning one person out at each stage, that the two finalist had to redo and win), then a tribal council that was surreal: the person voted out explained how she tried to manoeuvre but failed, thanked everyone, etc. The whole episode - which was loooooooooong, like 120 minutes including adds, was very kumbaya-esqued, all is well, I love you all, and it felt kind of blah to me. Like I saw a future where the game is just the game, and while it could be fun to have this spirit with the current (and some other) cast of Survivor, without a certain drive and will to win it becomes a bad TV show - but still a fun game for the contestants. 

And writing this makes me wonder: do I want contestants on Survivor to have fun? I always thought I did. But watching this version I realize that while having fun is good, I need more than kumbaya and therefore will be there for the US version until the end. Yes, the challenges have  become repetitive, and kinda subpar. BUT the mix of players is still good, at least this season, where with a good or bad strategy, at least everyone is actively playing. For all those who feel this season is bad, I'd say compared to the French version or to seasons like Caramoan or Blue/White/No collar, it's a masterpiece.        

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

I caught an episode of French Survivor, which is called Koh Lanta but takes place in... Fiji!!!

I dont know if the episode I saw is typical or not for the show: because someone had previously been medevaced, the last two voted out, who had been voted off as a pair (???) were to take part in a duel, with the winner getting back in the game.

Afterwards, bla bla bla, immunity challenge (pretty good, by the way, with various elimination steps, meaning one person out at each stage, that the two finalist had to redo and win), then a tribal council that was surreal: the person voted out explained how she tried to manoeuvre but failed, thanked everyone, etc. The whole episode - which was loooooooooong, like 120 minutes including adds, was very kumbaya-esqued, all is well, I love you all, and it felt kind of blah to me. Like I saw a future where the game is just the game, and while it could be fun to have this spirit with the current (and some other) cast of Survivor, without a certain drive and will to win it becomes a bad TV show - but still a fun game for the contestants. 

And writing this makes me wonder: do I want contestants on Survivor to have fun? I always thought I did. But watching this version I realize that while having fun is good, I need more than kumbaya and therefore will be there for the US version until the end. Yes, the challenges have  become repetitive, and kinda subpar. BUT the mix of players is still good, at least this season, where with a good or bad strategy, at least everyone is actively playing. For all those who feel this season is bad, I'd say compared to the French version or to seasons like Caramoan or Blue/White/No collar, it's a masterpiece.        

I've watched Koh-Lanta before, thought haven't caught up on this season much yet.  I haven't enjoyed it compared to other seasons, but one thing I do enjoy are the challenges.  But I've said before that I much prefer the international version challenges and twists to ours.  And the fact that the international versions still move around to different locations.  I finally caught up on last season's Australian season, and that really put ours to shame.

Our current season has bored me due to predictability and a boring/unlikable cast, plus a stupid theme that went absolutely no where, as themes do on this show.  I don't think it's any worse than WA or Caramoan, but I don't really consider it any better.  Depending who pulls off the win I guess will determine that.  But since I still think it is an extreme long shot for Devon and/or Ashley to make the final 3 to begin with, I'm resigned to having a winner I don't like and this season not redeeming itself for me.  At least it's had some impressive editing.  But I can't say I've been overly excited about a winner since Natalie Anderson anyway.  I liked Jeremy and Sarah well enough, but Sarah was in a dismal season and up against Probst's ultimate man crush, and Troyzan the invisible.  Jeremy's win was kind of meh because no one liked Spencer and Tasha, so it was inevitable he was winning.  But he did play a decent game at least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Me @Kelda Feegle! But they start out with so many, and I am watching US concurrently, so God help me on keeping track of who is who! 

I am 2 episodes in. So far, I like that there are not a lot of "models" casted. And that they still make them really suffer, whereas US has kind of turned into a well-fed Club Med in comparison. Also dig the simple cave setting of tribal. And I like that they come up with their own twists. Oh, and 2 epis a week! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hurray I thought I was alone ? 

Nice to see them on islands instead of a beach. 

I did think that the host came dangerously close to game interference at the end of TC in ep one by basically telling them they'd voted out the wrong person. 

@TVbitch nice to meet you in Thailand lol

Share this post


Link to post

Now I've seen the second ep. If the tribes consistently vote off the 'older' members first ,  in every iteration of the show, will the producers just stop casting them? I do not like this.

Lots of injuries and genuine food deprivation. Haven't got all the players named in my head yet but Liam certainly doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed. 

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't see this thread, I thought without a forum of its own people weren't discussing it here, which is what probably some others think.

First ep I was happy the older contestant didn't get kicked straight away. 

Second ep the twist was interesting but I didn't like the way the loser gained the information that the winner got a clue to an idol, that put the winner in a weak position unless both of them could work together.  I assume at the challenge they were allowed to tell the other tribe what happened.  Maybe the idea was to try and create an alliance across tribes, but there was bound to be suspicion among them and the initial tribe bonds can be strong. 

The elimination seemed more about whether people were in good health or not.  An older person on their own isn't going to work, you need a bigger spread of ages in a cast.  More are playing this year compared to last though I'd like to see all of them try.  That goofy guy who doesn't know what is happening is very annoying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Can't find Surviva SA anywhere. :( Anybody else find it?

Also seems like Survivor NZ should have additional episodes by now but don't see any since Epi 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Can't find Surviva SA anywhere. :( Anybody else find it?

Also seems like Survivor NZ should have additional episodes by now but don't see any since Epi 2. 

Same here :( oops NZ version airs on a Sunday night there.

Edited by Kelda Feegle · Reason: Asked google

Share this post


Link to post

Not that surprising a result, Frankie was definitely a weaker one in the tribe.  Keeping quiet at tribal and not even pleading a case wasn't great either. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size