Type keyword(s) to search

Hired Friends: Whitney's Social Barnacles

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dot said:

I'm curious about how Heather is often designated "a single parent." That term to me means an adult with child[ren] who is the sole custodian, pays all the bills, furnishes all food, clothing, shelter, etc.

Heather & her ex share the 2 kids, alternating weeks with them. So, is she still a single parent? Is "co-parent" a term which could describe her circumstance?

BTW, I wonder how the weekly tradeoff is gonna work as the kids get older. (Ava is almost 12.)

It always bothers me when someone refers to himself/herself as a "single parent" when there is another active and involved parent. "Divorced parent" or "co-parenting" would make more sense to me. In my thinking, one is is a single parent if the other parent is dead, or not actively involved in the child's life. As Heather's situation is described, I wouldn't think of her as a single mom. Depending on how close together the two homes are, sometimes the kids really don't mind the back and forth. From what I hear from people with that arrangement, the hardest part is getting everything needed from one house to another. The soccer cleats or the biology book are always at the wrong house on game day or the night before the test.

I really think the best scenario is the one in which the kids stay put and the parents move back and forth but I think it's pretty rare that a couple actually does that.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

It always bothers me when someone refers to himself/herself as a "single parent" when there is another active and involved parent. "Divorced parent" or "co-parenting" would make more sense to me. In my thinking, one is is a single parent if the other parent is dead, or not actively involved in the child's life. As Heather's situation is described, I wouldn't think of her as a single mom. Depending on how close together the two homes are, sometimes the kids really don't mind the back and forth. From what I hear from people with that arrangement, the hardest part is getting everything needed from one house to another. The soccer cleats or the biology book are always at the wrong house on game day or the night before the test.

I really think the best scenario is the one in which the kids stay put and the parents move back and forth but I think it's pretty rare that a couple actually does that.

Or what a couple  I knew did....divorced  but continued to  live in the same home as roommates.  I consider it  strange,  but hey  --- you do you. Of course  now the dad really IS a single  dad, because  the mom died. 

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I was always impressed by this setup. Kids have so much stuff that it's impossible to keep track of. Plus, they tend to do better with consistency and structure. Moving back and forth can't be as good for them as consistency.

In my mind, Heather is single and a parent, therefore single parent adequately describes her. Just because dad is involved doesn't make her any less of a single parent. "Single parent" to me describes someone who doesn't have a partner for the day-to-day crap parents have to deal with like getting permissions slips signed, getting them off to school, helping with homework, bath time, diaper changes, etc. Yes, they may switch off times they have the kids, but when it's their time, it's ALL on each of them. You can't just yell out at the dad that it's their turn to soothe a toothache or nightmare or dirty diaper because, well, you're a single person without a partner in the house to step in. You can be a single parent and co-parent with an ex. These two things are not mutually exclusive in my mind.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, monagatuna said:

I was always impressed by this setup. Kids have so much stuff that it's impossible to keep track of. Plus, they tend to do better with consistency and structure. Moving back and forth can't be as good for them as consistency.

In my mind, Heather is single and a parent, therefore single parent adequately describes her. Just because dad is involved doesn't make her any less of a single parent. "Single parent" to me describes someone who doesn't have a partner for the day-to-day crap parents have to deal with like getting permissions slips signed, getting them off to school, helping with homework, bath time, diaper changes, etc. Yes, they may switch off times they have the kids, but when it's their time, it's ALL on each of them. You can't just yell out at the dad that it's their turn to soothe a toothache or nightmare or dirty diaper because, well, you're a single person without a partner in the house to step in. You can be a single parent and co-parent with an ex. These two things are not mutually exclusive in my mind.

I agree with this. Single parent has a lot of different scenarios. FWIW I consider Heather’s ex a single dad so it isn’t some kind of female thing. 

I used the term single parent a couple of posts ago in reference to Heather because I was talking about money. Even though the kids split time between Heather’s and her ex’s place, that doesn’t mean Heather isn’t solely responsible for them financially when they are with her and her bills don’t reflect 2 children. In fact if she really does a pure 50/50 with her ex it’s likely she gets little to no child support. So she’s solely responsible for the cost of her home that needs to accommodate herself and 2 kids. She doesn’t get to say ‘well this week I don’t have my kids so I’ll pay rent on a studio apartment because I don’t need more space’. Next week I’ll get a 3 bedroom (I don’t know the size of her place - this is just an example) because she has the kids. She pays for the big things as if she has the kids all the time with only her job. So that’s one reason I think she figures she’ll put up with Whitney during filming so she can get the extra cash. It seems pretty clear she doesn’t see her much outside of show filming so you figure why bother with the show... $$$ is one reason. 

• Love 4

Actually, Heather's ex has remarried, so he is NOT a single parent raising 2 kids every other week. They have a stepmother.

I see the reasons to call Heather a single parent. She's single; she's a parent; therefore: single parent.

But I contend that ppl who hear that term envisage a person who receives no help or resources from another person for whatever reason. Heather is not that person.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Actually, Heather's ex has remarried, so he is NOT a single parent raising 2 kids every other week. They have a stepmother.

I see the reasons to call Heather a single parent. She's single; she's a parent; therefore: single parent.

But I contend that ppl who hear that term envisage a person who receives no help or resources from another person for whatever reason. Heather is not that person.

I stand corrected. I didn’t realize her ex had remarried. I just meant that it isn’t a strictly female distinction in case someone thought I was giving Heather credit for something I wouldn’t give a man if he was in the same position.

I think ‘single parent’ varies based on a person’s experiences. I know many people who are divorced with children. The term is universally applied to all of them even though only one really has the kids with no other parent involved at all. They all have various forms of custody arraignments. I also have a friend who is truly a single parent because her spouse died. She’s the only one I know who really will not call herself that. He’s only been gone about 6 months though so she’s still heavily grieving and in shock. I don’t think she’s even used the term widow yet.

But in terms of Heather, whether you call her a single parent or not, of all the barnacles she and Ashley are the only ones with financial responsibilities outside of themselves. Ashely has her partner who I believe is employed. Heather can use the TLC money. Although I do still think that the bigger answer to your original question about why she puts up with this crap is that she committed back when Whitney wasn’t such a bitch and now she feels stuck. The money is just a salve. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

If I were Heather, I’d ask for a raise.  First they have her pining over Buddy, now they are portraying her jealous/bitter of Whitney.  It’s about the only reason I like Todd, he has no problem bringing up Whitney’s failures when she starts pontificating on her greatness.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

And the shirt (second  picture) answers the  Pike question.  

There wasn't a Q about Chase's membership since his IG page is full of pics with Pike stuff. The Q was about Ryan.

Chase’s Doggie! 😍 Why is that cutie never seen on the show?

Not going to lie, based on that Heather and I could probably be friends 

Tal and his boyfriend really make a cute couple 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Heather's children must be fairly old by now?

Ava turned 12 this week. Eli is 8, but his next birthday is close as the kids are about 3 years apart in age.

4 hours ago, Meowy said:

Chase’s Doggie! 😍 Why is that cutie never seen on the show?

Not going to lie, based on that Heather and I could probably be friends 

Tal and his boyfriend really make a cute couple 

If anybody should have a show it’s these two cuties!  Do they count as barnacles because they’re getting extra kibble because of their Dads lol

More of Piper

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 5

The only photo I didn't like was Chase and Piper with their tongues out. Didn't Twit and Buddy do one of those? Or was it Twit and Chaser??? I don't even want to search for it, it was bad enough the first time around.

9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

The only photo I didn't like was Chase and Piper with their tongues out. Didn't Twit and Buddy do one of those? Or was it Twit and Chaser??? I don't even want to search for it, it was bad enough the first time around.

I remember one with Whitney sticking her tongue out and Buddy has his mouth wide open, but I don't remember his tongue sticking out.  I’m not sure about any with Chase.

• Love 1

On her IG page Natalie sez she & Twit will be traveling together soon for new "adventures." I wonder if that's going to be a story arc when filming renews.

I've thought that the only reason Natalie doesn't have full barnacle status is that she's 2,000 miles from NC.  Adding her to the cast by travel story arcs would solve that problem.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Dot said:

On her IG page Natalie sez she & Twit will be traveling together soon for new "adventures." I wonder if that's going to be a story arc when filming renews.

I've thought that the only reason Natalie doesn't have full barnacle status is that she's 2,000 miles from NC.  Adding her to the cast by travel story arcs would solve that problem.

Maybe they are going to traipse around the country looking for a wedding dress so they can show us how the wedding industry fat shames women. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2016 at 1:05 PM, auntjess said:

Would we immediately recogize Lennie if he took the beard off?  It so looks like a bad disguise.

long ago, when he was with Whitney, when he was on the show, I saw a photo of him on his FB page.  He shaved his beard off, and like wow, you couldn't even recognize him.  

• Love 2
On 1/31/2017 at 8:37 AM, Summer said:

There is definitely truth to actors hired to "play" certain roles in reality tv.   I follow a local modeling/acting agency here in Boston and they often announce on Facebook projects their clients are hired for.   A few years ago when the reality show Wahlburgers was just coming out, this agency announced they were so excited one of their clients was hired to play Alma's (Donny and Mark's mom) best friend on Wahlburgers.   So I have no doubt most if not all of Twit's "friends" carefully casted to serve a purpose.    

What a not-so-fabulous life she must really lead when cameras are not there.  To have to hire actors to play the role of her friends?  That's very sad.  

• Love 3
On 3/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, Maricopa said:

I'm a SAG-AFTRA (actors' union) member, and even those onscreen people who are not, they are being paid. It's entirely possible all are SAG members, and over five words turns into quite a lot plus lovely surprise residuals. But the extras (people onscreen), even those not speaking, are getting something, if only $100/day. I'll ask around. And TLC is definitely paying for the trip. Remember, they have to pay for a crew and some of the stuff (some is rented on location) to be shipped to wherever. So they're paying for the cast to travel too. I'll see if I can look up the reality show contract.

I  know for a fact that the radio show that Whitney was supposedly an intern at did not get one dime for being on her show.  That came straight from Maney, Roy and LauRen. They talked about her show one day, and said it was ALL scripted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, texasbluebonnets said:

I  know for a fact that the radio show that Whitney was supposedly an intern at did not get one dime for being on her show.  That came straight from Maney, Roy and LauRen. They talked about her show one day, and said it was ALL scripted.

Even the part where she lay on the floor and had Roy rub her "beg"? 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Maybe they are going to traipse around the country looking for a wedding dress so they can show us how the wedding industry fat shames women. 

Actually, one of Nat's fans suggested that TLC should initiate a show in which Nat & Twit travel around the country. Nat said that would be "rad."

It kinda reminds me of that "reality" show years ago with Paris Hilton & Nicole. Richie. 😖 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Or maybe are looking for the "perfect" wedding venue??

37 minutes ago, texasbluebonnets said:

Ryan and Heather??? together???

Well, if you judge by their respective instagrams, Ryan and Chase are together, Heather is by herself, but wearing Whitney's engagement ring and Whitney is absent.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Heather got a fancy white nail manicure. I’d say the trip is wedding related if I wasn’t sure there isn’t going to be a wedding.

I think that's  Twit's  sausage fingers  with the manicure. Either that,  or Heather is  wearing  Twit's  "engagement " ring. 

22 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I think that's  Twit's  sausage fingers  with the manicure. Either that,  or Heather is  wearing  Twit's  "engagement " ring. 

Heather is wearing Whits ring. It’s mentioned in the comments. Also fingers are not sausages

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

More proof the "romance" is fake - can you imagine Whitney in that position and NOT grabbing the guy's ass, unless she was made to understand in advance that she shouldn't?

I'll bet she tried it and he put his foot down....re: sexual harrassment to TLC.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Dot said:

Ryan & Heather indicate on IG that they, along with Chase, are in Boone, NC. Presumably, Twit is there, too. No reason given for why they are in the mountains.

Maybe Whit wanted to give the overalls/bandana combo another outing 😄 

• LOL 1

Buddy's in the picture, Dot. Heather has the names tagged in her instagram. From left to right is Chase, Whitney, Ashley, Heather, Ryan, Buddy (slightly behind Ryan) Tal  and Todd, almost unrecognizable with that beard. Maybe a production photographer took it?

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Buddy's in the picture, Dot. Heather has the names tagged in her instagram. From left to right is Chase, Whitney, Ashley, Heather, Ryan, Buddy (slightly behind Ryan) Tal  and Todd, almost unrecognizable with that beard. Maybe a production photographer took it?

Oh, yeah, I see him now. He sorta disappears into the background.

8 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Pretty sure it’s Heather wearing Whitney’s ring.  The leg is way too skinny to be Whitney’s.  I also like how the fans are calling the ring a knockoff gemstone, fake and cloudy.

• LOL 1