Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Hmm. I wonder if TLC is one of the Duggars' "financial partners" mentioned in the Duggar official FB post cited above? 

Because I wouldn't be at all surprised if somehow JB has inserted himself and Duggar Family Enterprises (or whatever his business entity is called) into the deal with TLC for the Jill/Jessa VSE's. Yes, Jill and Jessa are adults. And their husbands are also going to be featured in those episodes. But this is Duggarworld we're talking about here, where JimBob is the Decider in Charge of Everything, and certainly the Chief Financial Officer.

Personally I would be BETTING on the fact that Boob has himself firmly-planted into the TLC-Jill-Jessa deal. No question in my mind. He feels it's his right as a father. He'd believe this if Jill and Jessa were in their 40s or 50s too. Plus his SILs are two very easy-to-lead sheep and VERY unlikely to speak up. He's playing both the Respect-your-elders and Been-there-before-boys-I-can-handle-this-for-you cards with them, I'm sure.

• Love 5

I don't think there will be enough legit sponsors for the specials so well get PBS style commercials asking for support at the breaks. A big phone bank of howlers in the back ground taking donations and giving out tote bags, while Jim Bob and Michelle warble about the huge contribution their show makes to the world.

• Love 11

Even though they only gave people three day's notice, it doesn't bode well for Jill and Jessa's VSEs that so few people showed up to their party. And 50% of those people were blood relatives under the age of 18. 

Yes. One of the nicest things I've ever seen.

• Love 4

What is it with the Duggars and not providing food for their guests?!?!?!? It is not prohibitively expensive to cater a buffet meal for 100 or so people, especially when you're worth millions of dollars.

The Duggars characterized this little gathering on their FB page as a 'thank you!' event for their financial partners. Er, more like,"Thanks for donating your hard-earned money to our fake mission. Now, please, if you could further bless us with some finger sandwiches, that would be awesome -- totally!"

Lol, how unbelievably tacky is it to host a party for your donors and ask them to bring the food?! I have never heard of anything so gauche in my entire life.

Right? These people blow my mind. "We are having a get-together to thank all of our donors/supporters before we return to the mission field. Oh, yeah, donors...you'll need to bring the food." Unbelievable. I think they just wanted to be the center of attention and get a free meal (and leftovers to take to the Duggar compound). The invitation should have read: "Hey donors, We know you gave money to make our missioncation possible, but would you mind coming to a hall at our church and showering us with praise & attention as well as bringing us & our eleventy-million siblings/in-laws dinner?"
  • Love 10

Have you ever heard that saying "act like you've been somewhere"? I hear parents and grandparents (especially grandparents) tell kids that all of the time where I live.

The Duggars (including the Dillards) are the personification of people who do not act like they've ever been out of their homes. They have no clue how to behave or what is expected of them in social situations. Most children would know a party like this should have food provided by the couple doing the "thanking" of supporters. Just like most children would know that weddings are usually not followed by ice cream in a parking lot, but rather by some sort of meal or at least chairs for guests to sit in while they eat cake and drink punch.

I don't give them a pass because of how sheltered they are. The male in-laws (especially Derrick) were not raised as sheltered as the Duggars. Michelle and JimBob were not raised in the cult. Josh and Anna lived in DC on their own. The Duggars have also been exposed to plenty due to TLC, TLC-sponsored field trips, promotions, book signings, etc. These people have been somewhere. I'm sure now that the shine is off people are starting to expect that they act like it.

Act like you've been somewhere, Duggars!

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 16

Right? These people blow my mind. "We are having a get-together to thank all of our donors/supporters before we return to the mission field. Oh, yeah, donors...you'll need to bring the food." Unbelievable. I think they just wanted to be the center of attention and get a free meal (and leftovers to take to the Duggar compound). The invitation should have read: "Hey donors, We know you gave money to make our missioncation possible, but would you mind coming to a hall at our church and showering us with praise & attention as well as bringing us & our eleventy-million siblings/in-laws dinner?"

Jim Bob has taught them well.

Have you ever heard that saying "act like you've been somewhere"? I hear parents and grandparents (especially grandparents) tell kids that all of the time.

The Duggars (including the Dillards) are the personification of people who do not act like they've ever been out of their homes. They have no clue how to behave or what is expected of them in social situations. Most children would know a party like this should have food provided by the couple doing the "thanking" of supporters. Just like most children would know that weddings are usually not followed by ice cream in a parking lot, but rather by some sort of meal or at least chairs for guests to sit in while they eat cake and drink punch.

I don't give them a pass because of how sheltered they are. The male in-laws (especially Derrick) were not raised as sheltered as the Duggars. The Duggars have also been exposed to plenty due to TLC, TLC-sponsored field trips, promotions, book signings, etc. These people have been somewhere. I'm sure now that the shine is off people are starting to expect that they act like it.

They have been somewhere. But they have not been paying attention.

Seriously, once again showing the influence of the world's most arrogant ignoramus, Jim Bob, they never ever look to other people for examples of how one might behave, I'll bet. They simply hold themselves up as the standard of best behavior, period. No matter what the situation.

• Love 9

OMG, these people are Beyond Belief. Have the Duggars ever popped for a REAL social gathering themselves? I'd use the word party but well, it is the Duggars, after all. The word for today, kids, is hospitality. The Apple dictionary defines it as the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors or strangers.

Honestly, I have to say, on the Civilized Meter, I think Boob might be the Missing Link. What a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal...

EMEcbts.jpg

They gave three days notice.

I bet Josh designed the invite - straight off the Apple e-mail system. Canned background and everything...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

"Financial Partners" sounds like a money making venture.  Not a ministry.

I'm sure they borrowed the terminology from TLC or other businesses with which Boob is familiar. I could see him listing TLC as a financial partner of his own on financial applications, paperwork, taxes, etc.

• Love 4

OMG, these people are Beyond Belief. Have the Duggars ever popped for a REAL social gathering themselves? I'd use the word party but well, it is the Duggars, after all. The word for today, kids, is hospitality. The Apple dictionary defines it as the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors or strangers.

Honestly, I have to say, on the Civilized Meter, I think Boob might be the Missing Link. What a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal...

I bet Josh designed the invite - straight off the Apple e-mail system. Canned background and everything...

Josh isn't going to be allowed around a computer for a long, long time.  

He'd be lucky to be able to use one of these:

speak-n-spell-800x700.jpg

• Love 15

I just love that they felt the need to defensively stress how brief their time in the U.S. had been in their invitation. 

If they left today, that's FOUR WEEKS! They have spent, what, about 8 total weeks "overseas?" 

I'm calling bull to the shit on this one! 

• Love 14

12115854_720105648123087_636483264506689

I've seen better food tables at office birthday parties. And half of the time, you don't even like the person whose birthday it is.

That reminds me of a great Jim Gaffigan bit, on how cake brings everyone together:

Coworker 1: It's Bob's birthday.

Coworker 2: I can't stand that guy.

Coworker 1: There's cake in the breakroom.

Coworker 2: Well, I should probably swing by, just to say hi...

• Love 15

Just wait till the media adds up the days they've been in the U.S. Vs the days they've been in El Salvador. It'll be a very slanted ratio.

Edit: media. Darn you autocorrect!

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 3

OMG, these people are Beyond Belief. Have the Duggars ever popped for a REAL social gathering themselves? I'd use the word party but well, it is the Duggars, after all. The word for today, kids, is hospitality. The Apple dictionary defines it as the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors or strangers.

Well, Jim Bob does have some simian looking features.

• Love 2

Jeez. I hope the media picks up on this. I know People won't since they're back to rooting for the Duggars, but come on! They just went to SDC in June, too. Bring your own food, then fundy Disneyland? Maybe then converted the log flume operator, or something.

• Love 2

Why do they need a going away party?  No gifts please we're trying to not look greedy but at least bring your own food.  We'd like to thank you for your support at this meet and greet and be sure to spread the word on how others can donate.  We have a big family so bring as much food as you can we've run out of donuts. 

And just noticed the garbage can next to the food table.  No class is right.

• Love 5

Per Pickles and Hairspray, Derick and Jill spent the day at Silver Dollar City. How long after a going away party is one actually obligated to go away?

I don't know, but I think that I'm going to start demanding a going-away party every time I plan to leave the house.

That seems to be a thing these days.

• Love 14

Have you ever heard that saying "act like you've been somewhere"? I hear parents and grandparents (especially grandparents) tell kids that all of the time where I live.

My grandmother would have said, "Were these people raised by wolves?" She was accustomed to large family events taking place in hotels or catering halls, or in people's homes. Aaaand now I'm trying to picture my grandmother, born to Russian-Jewish immigrants in New Jersey in the 1890's, making conversation with, say, Jim Bob. Oy.

• Love 9

12115854_720105648123087_636483264506689

I've seen better food tables at office birthday parties. And half of the time, you don't even like the person whose birthday it is.

Right?! That is the most pathetic display I've ever seen. It looked like there was barely anything to eat.

• Love 2

Right?! That is the most pathetic display I've ever seen. It looked like there was barely anything to eat.

Yeah, but if I were one of the donors, I don't think I'd have been cooking up a storm, either. I have to wonder how many of the people who went are also becoming a little bit disgruntled with all this fundraising and just wanted to see what was up with it. ... Plus -- maybe they feared it would be the usual "feed the Duggars" event. And it was.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

Nothing screams classy like "Thanks for the money, now please bring us food".  

I had a former college roommate, who I usually liked, who did this at her wedding reception. She was explaining her reception ideas to me--potluck where she doesn't provide anything because she couldn't afford it--and I pointed out that it was really tacky to do that, especially since she was already getting gifts. I also suggested that maybe she should just pick a wedding time where she could get away with serving cake (or maybe wait until she and hubby were a little more mature and financially stable), but she told me this was a "church tradition."

I was hoping enough friends would tell her that it was tacky that she would reconsider, but when I finally got her invitation, she not only had the potluck requirement on there, but it also included a list of all of her and his food allergies and preferences. So you had to bring a dish that did not contain shellfish, dairy, eggs, nuts, alcohol, wheat, and several other ingredients. It eliminated pretty much any food item most people would bring to a potluck. I refused to go but wondered what the spread ended up looking like. She did mention to me the turnout ended up being spotty.

Now I am imagining the reception as being pretty similar to Jill and Derrick's "going away but not going away" party. I don't think many people are motivated to go when you don't have the decency to act like a host and the ones who do go aren't very motivated to cook for you.  I don't think the Duggars realize the difference between hosting an appreciation party and other people actually throwing a going-away party for you. 

Does anybody know off-hand how many people were invited to this party? Because the attendance does look pretty sparse. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10

Does anybody know off-hand how many people were invited to this party? Because the attendance does look pretty sparse. 

I'm hoping all their donors are in that room!

And on your ex-roommate's reception plans. Yeesh. ... I guess the church potluck for funerals has now completely slipped over into weddings. Somebody in my family did this, with full church participation, and it seemed outrageous to me. ... Plus, they went on a cabin-camping honeymoon and had so much (good) wedding food left over that they could take it along and not spend a dime on food for the whole honeymoon. And, like the Dillards, they're almost certainly way better off than most of the people who brought them food (who'd also given presents, of course). I thought they were an annoying aberration, but guess not.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

Not a problem; they just don't feed the kids. Then there's plenty.

So true. Wasn't it at Jill's wedding where the Littles were doing a TH and said they hadn't eaten anything but cake? I mean, damn, no one thought to bring a cooler full of sandwiches so the kids weren't overdosing on sugar? Given how anemic Jordan and Josie look it wouldn't surprise me if they got the short end of the stick in terms of the food rations.

• Love 2

It will be interesting to see how the TLC cameramen filmed this "event". Were they kind and went with tight shots where you aren't able to see much? Or did they go wide to accurately represent the party?

• Love 2