Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Attorney for the defense Justin Gelfand then asked James Fottrell about the router.

Gelfand said the IP address comes from the router, not a device.

He said a router shows what devices are connected and claimed Fottrell had never done forensic analysis on the router.

The Sun reporter at the trial on Friday claimed that after the short recess, Josh’s lawyer Justin Gelfand and seemed agitated.

The reporter said Gelfand raised his voice at one point towards James Fottrell during questioning, alleging that it might have been because Fottrell wasn’t answering the way that Gelfand wanted him to.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Lindsay Loo Hoo said:

Attorney for the defense Justin Gelfand then asked James Fottrell about the router.

Gelfand said the IP address comes from the router, not a device.

He said a router shows what devices are connected and claimed Fottrell had never done forensic analysis on the router.

The Sun reporter at the trial on Friday claimed that after the short recess, Josh’s lawyer Justin Gelfand and seemed agitated.

The reporter said Gelfand raised his voice at one point towards James Fottrell during questioning, alleging that it might have been because Fottrell wasn’t answering the way that Gelfand wanted him to.

Well, not really.  Routers don't contain memory.  If you look at it while it's hooked up, you get settings and very very limited data.  Looking at something isn't forensics.  We don't use the words "forensic examination" regarding cell phones because we have to turn the phone in order to extract it.  That in and of itself changes data, and therefore it's not forensic.  Looking at a router isn't forensics.

Routers don't give you an IP address.  In most cases, a DHCP server does.  So a router gets your IP address from your internet provider and then stores it.  I never do "forensics" on a router in my lab because if its unplugged, it loses all it's stored data.  So unless Mr.  Fottrell was on site that day, he didn't even "interrogate" the router as we say.

Edited by hathorlive
  • Useful 13
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Lindsay Loo Hoo said:

The Sun reporter at the trial claimed to see some of the jury nodding along with the prosecution witness before lunch break on Friday.

They've got the jury.  I know it only takes one, but it's really early for the jury to be doing head nods.

• Useful 7
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Well, not really.  Routers don't contain memory.  If you look at it while it's hooked up, you get settings a very very limited data.  Looking at something isn't forensics.  We don't use the words "forensic examination" regarding cell phones because we have to turn the phone in order to extract it.  That in and of itself changes data, and therefore it's not forensic.  Looking at a router isn't forensics.

Routers don't give you an IP address.  In most cases, a DHCP server does.  So a router gets your IP address from your internet provider and then stores it.  I never do "forensics" on a router in my lab because if its unplugged, it loses all it's stored data.  So unless Mr.  Fottrell was on site that day, he didn't even "interrogate" the router as we say.

The problem is that the jury won't know this. The jury will hear "open router" "unprotected wifi," "why didn't you look into other details and possibilities" "why didn't you check this and that...." They don't really have to tell the jury what everything means - just give the impression that the feds left things out.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, hathorlive said:

They've got the jury.  I know it only takes one, but it's really early for the jury to be doing head nods.

so is this good for josh or bad for him? i dont understand. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

That's up to the prosecutor to knock down.  I said earlier, we kick in the door and the first place I go is to the router.  I document the settings, note the network names and which ones are open and which ones are password protected.  If they guys on scene didn't do that, it's bad crime scene.  If they did and the prosecutor doesn't explain it, then that's a bad AUSA.  Honestly, I think after the lining up the text messages and Josh's location at the car shack, combined with the images, the jury is done.  Gelfand can say that all it proves is that the phone was there, not Josh, but saying things like "I'm at work" "did you see that crash" will be enough for the jury.

Juries don't tend to be responsive to arguments in court until they (the individual ones) have decided which side they think is more valid. If you have several jury members nodding at what the prosecutor says, it's a good sign for guilty.  Of course, it just takes one.  But its a good sign.

thanks for explaining that. 

• Love 6

The time stamps of the downloads and his texts are going to be impossible to overcome.  That is very easy for the jury to understand and connect the dots. To acquit they would have to believe that at the exact moment he was there someone else was remoting into the computer and downloading CSAM just to frame him. Maybe you could find one, but to convince all 12 to vote not guilty, seems very unlikely. At best he can hope for a hung jury. But given what they had to see, I can’t imagine they’d be feeling anything but vengeance.

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

It's sad that no one from her own family seems to feel they need to be there for her.

Looking at Anna's picture with Josh, there's no way the girl isn't horribly uncomfortable. Her hands looks swollen. She's still swollen and apparently producing milk, and feeling heavy on her feet, and even more powerless than she's ever been. Her hormones are whipping her up. She's --in so many ways alone. She has to fear the future. I'd say right now she's in her own private Hell. There is no way Anna is feeling smug. IMO 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19
7 minutes ago, Trillium said:

The time stamps of the downloads and his texts are going to be impossible to overcome.  That is very easy for the jury to understand and connect the dots. To acquit they would have to believe that at the exact moment he was there someone else was remoting into the computer and downloading CSAM just to frame him. Maybe you could find one, but to convince all 12 to vote not guilty, seems very unlikely. At best he can hope for a hung jury. But given what they had to see, I can’t imagine they’d be feeling anything but vengeance.

That's the absolute strongest part of the case.  We always say that anything is possible but is it PROBABLE and the answer is usually no.  I've never had a case this tight or one that put the defendant behind the computer.  And I rarely lost a case.

• Useful 6
  • Love 17

Josh Duggar went shopping with his wife, Anna, and made sure to snap a selfie of their outing just hours after downloading child sex abuse material on his work computer, according to text messages uncovered in the ongoing court case.

According to evidence at the trial on Friday, Josh left his car dealership for a trip to Lowes hardware store around 8:14 pm on May 14, 2019.

That was after a mass of illegal files were downloaded to his work computer that evening.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

Jeer's 6 seater plane flew to TN this morning. surely for Katie Bates' wedding tonight. will be interesting to see if JB and Meech flew off to a wedding during the trial.

I'll bet you anything that Smuggars proud parents were on the plane. Gotta keep up mother of the year face.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, hathorlive said:

And the attack on the forensic tools begins.  EnCase, X-Ways, FTK, and Axiom have been vetted and white papered to death.

All the tech talk is an easy route to boring and baffling jurors, planting some "reasonable" doubt.

58 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I'll believe it when they have completed deliberations and come back with the guilty verdict.

Defense will be noting those early nodding heads and making notes -- which they will then use to increase their efforts to baffle and sway.   They'll no doubt also be looking for any possible opening to dismiss any of the nodding heads.

How many alternates sit on a federal panel?

• Love 3

Shit, if I was JB & M the last place I'd want to be is with the Bates. They're like their mirror family - but without a criminal. I know the Bates suck too, as well as their Fundy friends, but I'm sure there will be a lot of glances and quiet gossip. Never mind making small talk.

Or maybe I have it totally wrong and there will be a lot of validating the unjust persecution of their Christian friends.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

How many alternates sit on a federal panel?

4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Shit, if I was JB & M the last place I'd want to be is with the Bates. They're like their mirror family - but without a criminal. I know the Bates suck too, as well as their Fundy friends, but I'm sure there will be a lot of glances and quiet gossip. Never mind making small talk.

Or maybe I have it totally wrong and there will be a lot of validating the unjust persecution of their Christian friends.

I think there will be a LOT of "I'm gonna pray for you" in the way that only Southerners can deliver.

• LOL 7
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Hopefully the Bates follow the Duggar example and get their show canceled too, without sexually exploiting and abusing children of course.   Hoping to see those proudly racist idiots scrambling to work actual J.O.B. s for a living instead of continuing to exist as if they are celebrities -- because they absolutely do not deserve to be celebrated for anything.  

• Love 22
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

#2 is the correct answer. These people do not care about crimes, they care about who gets punished for those crimes. One of their own is supposed to be above the law.

• Love 5

It's extra weird since Katie Bates doesn't even seem close with any of the Duggar kids. Like I'd understand Joy wanting to make it to Carlin's wedding no matter what, or JD and the Bates boys he does the MediScam thing with. But that's not the case here.

I wonder how she feels about having a bunch of Duggars at her wedding, especially if it leads to headline like "parents and siblings of accused child molester Josh Duggar attend family friend Katie Bates's wedding".

Edited by Lhb830
  • Love 20
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Just when I kind of forget who they are, The Sun is now quoting Amy's SM for filler. 😴🙃

From the Sun:

"We were told a completely different story. We were never told the truth."

"I went to Nashville with my mom to support her, and yes it was filmed but trust me when I say I was already distancing myself back then."

They are quoting Amy's answer to why they are outraged now but not before. Amy says because they never knew the truth. But the CD recording was in 2018.  The reports regarding the molestations were in 2015.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

From the Sun:

"I went to Nashville with my mom to support her, and yes it was filmed but trust me when I say I was already distancing myself back then."

They are quoting Amy's answer to why they are outraged now but not before. Amy says because they never knew the truth. But the CD recording was in 2018.  The reports regarding the molestations were in 2015.

Laura Demaisie slid into Famy's IG defending the Duggars. The post is gone now, but she got roasted. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

From the Sun:

I thought Amy's CD recording episode was when it was 19K&C, so before 2015.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, madpsych78 said:

I think she means the CD that the lost girls recorded--Amy's mom was involved in it somehow.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Not Amy's recording. It was when Amy's mom helped the younger girls record a Christmas CD.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, zoomama said:

just made two pillow covers for a christmas gift while reading the updates here. sewing is an easy distraction. 

I'm supposed to be working but I filled out my planner and cut out stickers around work stuff.  It helps.  Everyone needs to take care of themselves.  It's not going to get any easier.

• Love 12

After the lunch break, about 20 minutes into the continued trial, Joy-Anna Forsyth walked in and went up to her sister-in-law, Anna Duggar, to give her coffee and gave her a hug for a few seconds.

Joy then went back to the back of the courthouse to sit next to her husband, Austin Forsyth.

• Useful 10
  • Love 1

Gelfand and Fottrell then talked about Rufus, an app for Microsoft Windows that can be used to format and create bootable USB flash drives or Live USBs.

Fottrell said it was installed to the partition and Gelfand asked if a thumb drive was plugged in on the HP computer on May 13, 2019.

Fottrell replied that it was.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Gelfand asked if any files were opened from the thumb drive on May 13, and Fottrell replied yes.

Gelfand asked where the thumb drive is, and Fottrell said it was not seized by the government and he hasn't seen it.

It was noted that the files on the thumb drive were never opened on the Macbook or iPhone.

• Useful 2

Gelfand asked if any files were opened from the thumb drive on May 13, and Fottrell replied yes.

Gelfand asked where the thumb drive is, and Fottrell said it was not seized by the government and he hasn't seen it.

It was noted that the files on the thumb drive were never opened on the Macbook or iPhone.

Ah, the mysterious thumb drive that did all the bad stuff that government didn't seize on purpose (or because it no longer exists, or was at Josh's house, or that was lost).  More stuff that wasn't analyzed that will TOTS exonerate Joshie.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Gelfand then brought up that Tor is easy to get and offers more security than other browsers, and that other browsers collect and sell info.

He then noted that someone might want to use it for extra privacy, and Fottrell agreed that someone might want to use it for privacy reasons.

Gelfand said Fottrell made Tor sound sinister, but that not everyone uses it for such purposes.

Fottrell agreed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Gelfand then noted that the files couldn't have been created on the thumb drive and questioned where the files were created.

huh? what does he mean?'

remote access

here they go

2 minutes ago, Lindsay Loo Hoo said:

Gelfand then brought up that Tor is easy to get and offers more security than other browsers, and that other browsers collect and sell info.

He then noted that someone might want to use it for extra privacy, and Fottrell agreed that someone might want to use it for privacy reasons.

Gelfand said Fottrell made Tor sound sinister, but that not everyone uses it for such purposes.

Fottrell agreed.

Now I get twitchy. Maybe mention again that he loaded the TOR browser the day before he loaded the CSAM. 

• Love 2

The discussion then turned to command codes, which Justin Gelfand said were like a foreign language.

He asked Fottrell if he had found any evidence that Tor was installed by the app store, and Fottrell said he saw no evidence for any other way it was installed.

7 minutes ago, Lindsay Loo Hoo said:

Fottrell agreed.

Sure. Josh installed it for godly purposes and someone else just happened to use it for Satan’s work. 

So what if it isn’t always for evil things? Evil things were done on it. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 12
45 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Laura Demaisie slid into Famy's IG defending the Duggars. The post is gone now, but she got roasted. 

I guess that gives us a peek into what the Duggars are all thinking.

• Love 15

Gelfand continued the line of questioning to Fottrell, asking if there was forensic evidence to show how a torrent was installed, and Fottrell said it was an experience educated guess.

They spoke more about torrents and the µTorrent client, which was installed the evening of May 14, 2019.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

After the Sun reporter noted that during this questioning, Gelfand was being handed notes by his team, he asked Fottrell about remote access.

He asked Fottrell if there was nothing in his reports about remote access and Fottrell said that was correct.

He asked about Remmina, an app for the computer for remote access, and if a router would help with remote access, and Fottrell replied yes to both questions.

8 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

FWIW, I think this sweatshirt contraption is supposed to have a cowl or drape neck, and she has it pulled back straight because Nike.

Also the skirt makes her look like she's wearing Batman's codpiece.

She looks like a linebacker.  I never realized she was that big-boned.  Even her hands look huge.  That’s one of the most unflattering shirts/sweaters I’ve ever seen.

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

FWIW, I think this sweatshirt contraption is supposed to have a cowl or drape neck, and she has it pulled back straight because Nike.

Also the skirt makes her look like she's wearing Batman's codpiece.

Well damn that’s one ugly outfit. But at least it’s new to us. Bwaha.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2