Type keyword(s) to search

Botched By Nature - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What? Nobody?

Enjoyed the first episode, though I have a feeling there's going to be way too much WACKY HIJINX with the road trip aspect.  It will be interesting to see how they incorporate other surgeons for repair/reconstruction work.  

• Love 2

The story about the twin brought me to tears. I loved that he was the popular one in school, not his "normal" brother. And that he remained friendly and positive despite being teased in school. I adored his wife, who seemed to love him no matter how he looked. 

I like that the doctors were up front with him about the fact that they would be able to make several small changes, but they would not be dramatic. He did look better after the surgeries but still had some obvious defects. At least he could breathe better!

ETA: The doctors entertained me, but I'm new to "Botched." They may start to wear on me soon. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

@topanga, you must watch original flavor Botched! Dr. Dubrow is a jackass, but the show is cracked out goodness.

I could absolutely do without the yuks from the doctors. Oh, har, milking a cow is just like masturbating. More about the cases of the week; less about those two choads, please.

The "botched" twin's wife had the deadest expression and mannerism. I know we all aren't meant to be stars, but drink a cup of coffee or something before you go on national television. Did they marry at 12? They had three(?) kids and they seemed to be all of maybe 22.

The other case of the boob job gone wrong...that doesn't really qualify for botched "by nature", but okay.

Oh, and I didn't even bother with the aftershow. Of course Heather Dubrow is the host.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

@topanga, you must watch original flavor Botched! Dr. Dubrow is a jackass, but the show is cracked out goodness.

I've watched maybe three episodes so far. I really like it. But some of those patients are crazy!!!!! It's like Atlanta Plastic on steroids. 

Yes, watched the original version "Botched." There is usually a boob job and a nose job then one case of some extreme plastic surgery addict/fresh (who always gets turned down by the good docs.)

I didn't really care for the spin-off show. Yeah, the on-the-road scenes were grating. I was kind of surprised that Paul came off as the more naturally funny and comfortable of the two. He just always seems so uptight and strictly-business professional (as he should be, but humorless most of the time.) Terry's prissy behavior at the dairy farm was OTT.

I thought it was just "another day at the office" with the boob job woman. At least the twin was something different. I liked him and admired his attitude. True, he didn't look that great afterward, but it was a vast improvement than what he went in with. I liked his mother. Yeah. Something bugged me about his wife. I had the feeling that she didn't really want for him to change his appearance. I didn't know if she was afraid of the surgical risks or a disappointing outcome. There was also the off-hand chance that she was afraid that if he came out much better-looking, he'd start looking for "greener pasture," if you get my drift. (However, he didn't seem to be that type. He seemed very devoted to his wife and kids.)

• Love 4

I never watched the original Botched, do they have so much about the doctors on it too? I don't give a damn about watching them interact, I just ff through those parts.

That poor woman who got struck by lightning, I was surprised they couldn't do anything about the scarring from the skin grafts, I would think they could lessen the appearance with lasers.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I never watched the original Botched, do they have so much about the doctors on it too? I don't give a damn about watching them interact, I just ff through those parts.

That poor woman who got struck by lightning, I was surprised they couldn't do anything about the scarring from the skin grafts, I would think they could lessen the appearance with lasers.

I was also surprised by the lack of outcome. The before and after pictures of her scars and boobs looked almost identical. Her abdominoplasty did look much better, however. And I loved how she slipped in the botched tummy tuck to her 'Botched By Nature' story--"I got struck by lightening, I gained weight, and I had this bad tummy tuck."

I ff'd through the toe lady's story. It just didn't engage me, for some reason. Did her feet look good after the surgery?

ETA: because "weight" and "wait" are two different words! 

Edited by Gurkel
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, topanga said:

I've watched maybe three episodes so far. I really like it. But some of those patients are crazy!!!!! It's like Atlanta Plastic on steroids. 

The formula for the original show was:  Two normal patients and one crazy one.  They never do surgery on the crazy one but try to help in other ways like referrals to psychs and such.

39 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I was surprised to hear Dr Paul say he wants to date women in their late twenties and early thirties. What's wrong with dating your age? I'm glad they helped the woman with the mangled feet but I found that hard to watch. 

Me too!  The age group he sought is the same age group that is still maturing and is not going to stick around.  He is 54 years old.  I would say 40s at least he would still have a youthful person with enough experience to stick around.

26 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

I ff'd through the toe lady's story. It just didn't engage me, for some reason. Did her feet look good after the surgery?

Yes they did.  I couldn't believe she is still wearing high heels.

• Love 2

The formula for the original show was:  Two normal patients and one crazy one.  They never do surgery on the crazy one but try to help in other ways like referrals to psychs and such.

Sometimes they have operated on the less completely crazy ones, if they truly had an objective deformity.  For example, Paul would go in and fix a genuine breathing problem with the nose while explaining that no, he would not make it smaller, and in fact it would have to be BIGGER to fix the breathing issue.  Sometimes the patients accept, sometimes they don't, if what they want is cosmetic and all they are offered is being restored to a version of normal anatomy.

I think the image of the lady shining a flashlight through her gigantic boobs will haunt me until the day I die.  I wonder what happens when they actually explode?  They've told multiple women that going larger with implants could result in complete skin breakdown, and that they were close to it.  I just wonder if that means a small fissure to start with, or whether once it's breached it just splits wide open and you have to call 911?  

• Love 2

I'm liking seeing normal people who just got unlucky somehow rather than the "I want to be a human doll! I want to look fake! I want the largest breasts in the world for my fetish vlog site!" folks that we see so much of on the original Botched.

I agree that there wasn't a whole lot of improvement that we could see in the breasts of lightning strike lady.

• Love 4

Why does this show feel even more exploitative than original Botched? These poor people have a deformity and can't afford decent plastic surgery, so they agree to come on this show, exposing their problem for the world to see while the doctors crack stupid jokes. I realize this happens on Botched too, but I never feel as bad for those people because it's usually their own fault. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

In any event, the fellow with the facial deformities didn't look much better after surgery. I was disappointed.  

I thought he looked better, or maybe the term would be less noticeable?  My nephew had to have some scar revision work done by a plastic surgeon and he explained that there's a way to quantify scarring by how far away you'd be to notice it.  So you have 10 foot scars, 5 foot scars, 1 foot scars, etc.  You can't necessarily eliminate it, but if you can drastically reduce the number of double-takes from people noticing your scar/physical issue, that in itself can be a positive result.

If the amount of revision done enables him to walk more comfortably out in the world with his kids without people staring, that would be successful.

• Love 4

Any goodwill I had for Dr. Nassif vanished when he said he'd only date women from in their late 20s to 30s. #richwhitemanproblems

The things you learn from this show! My right fifth toe looks normal, but it doesn't technically touch the ground when I stand. It is in line with my other toes, but it just is a wee piggy that hovers over the ground. You'd never know; I didn't even notice for years, except I knew I had stubby little nubbins for fifth toes. My toenails on those toes are slivers.

I whipped out the measuring tape, and what do you know--two centimenters between my right fifth and fourth toes! One and a half on my left. I'm a troll!

If I was the toe lady, I would've hacked off that rogue toe years ago. That looked WAY weirder than four toes. Who cares about four toes? Hell, I'll give up a toe for the right amount of money.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

The things you learn from this show! My right fifth toe looks normal, but it doesn't technically touch the ground when I stand. It is in line with my other toes, but it just is a wee piggy that hovers over the ground. You'd never know; I didn't even notice for years, except I knew I had stubby little nubbins for fifth toes. My toenails on those toes are slivers.

I whipped out the measuring tape, and what do you know--two centimenters between my right fifth and fourth toes! One and a half on my left. I'm a troll!

I have floater little piggies too, so I had to measure after reading your post. Dammit, 2 1/2 centimeters on each foot. Gimme my Troll Card.

It had to be so uncomfortable wearing shoes with a toe on top of her foot. For that reason alone I would have had it removed years ago.

I wonder what the lightning strike woman's foot looked like after the lightning came out of it. I would assume it was blown up quite a bit but they never showed it. I noticed she kept it tucked behind her other foot. Maybe she thought the breast and tummy work was enough for one episode.

• Love 1

Floaters!

Dr. Nassif acted like he had leprosy when he said he had the same foot issue as the toe lady (I should've paid attention to her name). I wanted him to take off his shoes and show her some gnarled hobbit feet. But I'm guessing he doesn't really have a problem. He said something about his thumbs. They looked like regular ol' thumbs to me.

The restaurant scene was painful. Paul's dream dates who just happened to be sitting nearby could barely scare up a coherent sentence between the two of them.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, GaT said:

I was really surprised Dr. D left the saggy side pouches by the boobs. If he was taking skin from under them why didn't he remove that because it looked bad and like he didn't finish the lift. I was expecting more from the twin facial surgery too. He did look more normal and could breath so I hope he's happy.

Dr. D was right the toe amputation was better but I can sympathize that would be hard to get your head around doing. Those 8 inch rods they pulled out of her toes were freaky. I wanted to see Dr. N's toes and felt cheated...

• Love 1
On 8/11/2016 at 8:58 AM, Madding crowd said:

I was surprised to hear Dr Paul say he wants to date women in their late twenties and early thirties. What's wrong with dating your age? I'm glad they helped the woman with the mangled feet but I found that hard to watch. 

I don't know why I expected Paul to be different and pick an age closer to his own. I lost some respect for him when he said 29 or thirties. Hey Paul, how about you have some plastic surgery yourself to look younger? I've heard him mention his love for Katy Perry, but Katy isn't looking for Paul! 

I too was disappointed in the outcomes. They couldn't do much for the woman struck by lightning. She still has lots of scar tissue and they couldn't really do an implant. I thought they'd move that woman's toe somehow instead of amputating it. And that young man I figured his face would look a lot different, but his outcome seemed like he had minor tweaking. I'm glad he can breathe better. I hope he didn't go through much pain since he had a lot done. He was in good spirits with his comment about the "I feel like I've been hit by a bus... too bad it wasn't a party bus". 

Edited by Raspberry Streusel
  • Love 3

With ‘Botched by Nature,’ E! Tests the Limits of Semantics http://variety.com/2016/tv/columns/botched-by-natured-e-terry-dubrow-paul-nassif-1201830901/

The new program is striking a distinctly charitable tone, which is in contrast to its older sibling—an enthusiastic freak show that parades around clients (mostly women) who suffer from too much plastic surgery. “Botched By Nature” seeks to move away from that uncanny valley of appearance-obsessed individuals. But it retained the word “botched” in its title.… The mission of the show could be the most well-intentioned premise in the universe, but that title is so off-putting it inspires an spiral of vaguely metaphysical questions: Are birth defects, and more broadly, disabilities, really “mistakes”? Is someone “botched” if something terrible has happened to them? Are car accidents “natural”? 

When asked if they were uncomfortable with the implications of using words like “fixed” or phrases like “back to normal,” the panel [Dubrow, Nassif, and executive producer Matt Westmore] said that while “labeling issues” were troubling some critics at [the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills], 4,000 people had reached out to “Botched By Nature” to be treated by the doctors on their show.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:21 PM, grisgris said:

Something bugged me about his wife. I had the feeling that she didn't really want for him to change his appearance. I didn't know if she was afraid of the surgical risks or a disappointing outcome. 

I also got a weird vibe from the wife. She showed little enthusiasm throughout most of the scenes they showed her in. Then, when they talked to her at the end, she made a comment about how hard HIS surgery had been on THEM. As someone who has had multiple surgeries, I know what she meant (it's always hard on the family that has to take care of you post-op) but in combination with her overall attitude it just struck me as odd. Maybe she just didn't want to be on TV. 

• Love 4
On August 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Madding crowd said:

It didn't surprise me, considering he's in Beverly Hills.  I did think it was sad though, I was like, "Yeah, a woman in her twenties and thirties is going to want you for ONE thing, that would be $$$$.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

This is shallow, but oh, well. It's what I'm in this thread for, really.

Paul's ears are HUGE. It's all I can look at when he's onscreen. As hirsute as he is, I imagine there's hair growing out of them, too. The 27-year-old women love that.

• Love 4

I wonder what kind of shoes the toe lady wore?  Because wouldn't any kind of shoe be rubbing and blistering the toe sticking up?  And yet it seemed fine.  All I can think about is how uncomfortable it is when you try on shoes that pinch -- if she got them big enough that they didn't pinch down on that toe... weren't they too big to walk comfortably in?

Edited by kassa
  • Love 3

I totally agree with this:

The[n] there's a super-stagey post-recovery visit scene at a bar or restaurant, where the patient comes in, ostensibly to reveal the new them—to the same family and friends that presumably see them every day. Yes, the results are always impressive, but I find the fake big reveal "reaction" from the people who in some cases live in the same house as the patient to be so dreadfully disingenuous that I can barely enjoy it.

I absolutely adore Dr. Paul, however I have a weird thing about ears.. if they are odd looking it's a turn off. And his ears are very strange. Dr. Paul is very attractive on the inside. Surprised he stated he's into women half his age. Maybe it's just his way of getting back at Adrianne because she was dating a man half her age.

She's got so much make up spackled on her face and there are photos of her you can find on the internet of Adrianne before she had a ton of  face surgery.. very unattractive person with a gigantic nose.

And then there's Ms. Terry Dubrow...ugly on the outside and the inside.

I got the same impression about the wife of the young man who had his eyes/nose and neck reconstructed. The wife definitely was not glad he looked better.

She might have some self confidence issues too. Whatever the case may be, she did not react to her husbands improvements with any enthusiasm. Sad  to see.

I missed why chest guy got an implant in the first place - was there a medical reason for it? He seemed to have a pretty serious infection. Why did he not to go a doctor before this? Why did he wait to be on Botched by Nature? Seems like insurance would cover it. 

I think he was trying to counterbalance the sunken area, or use the implant to pull up that area.

I am a terrible, baby-hating spinster, but I got tired of seeing their baby all up in every shot with her dumb, clowny headbands.This show isn't about you, baby!

I kept walking out of the room during the commercials only to come back too late and miss the good, gross parts! I missed them drawing out the fluid at the house and taking out the deflated implant or whatever it was during surgery. I weirdly love watching this stuff. The only thing that bothers me is seeing the docs either pull out or stuff in a breast implant in a hole the size of a nickel. It makes me a little weak.

The twins were a little odd, no? I was shocked when they said they were 27! They acted 12. I gather they had been extremely sheltered.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I am a terrible, baby-hating spinster, but I got tired of seeing their baby all up in every shot with her dumb, clowny headbands.This show isn't about you, baby!

OK, this made me laugh way too hard.  Love it!

As regards the twins, the one had a big chipped/broken tooth problem that, to me, was far more distracting than any cleft palate/lip/nose issues she had. It was weird that the docs didn't mention it on the show proper, but did mention on Botched Post Op that she was going to get the teeth fixed.  I wondered if the teeth issue was because of the cleft birth defects, or if she'd been in some kind of accident.

• Love 3

The implant/sunken chest case was very interesting. The surgery was amazing. But I also wondered why he wouldn't go to a doctor about the fluid. Kind of weird. There was clearly a medical problem and he didn't even seem concerned about that - just the aesthetics of his chest. 

The twins with the cleft lip/nose didn't change a ton. I think we are seeing with this show they are taking much harder cases and therefore the end results are much more subtle. I actually enjoy both doctors and their quirkiness so I don't mind the road trip scenes though the back hair was a bit much.

• Love 2

Thanks for the update, @Lizzing! I don't watch the post-op show, because I find anything in the Housewives franchise unbelievably gross, and will not support Mrs. Dubrow. I know...I'm supporting her gross husband by watching the Botched shows...

I thought they could've done a better job on the twins' upper lips, but what do I know. My grandfather had a cleft lip, and it looked way better than those girls'. He was born in the 1920s and had it fixed early in life.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, scribe95 said:

The implant/sunken chest case was very interesting. The surgery was amazing. But I also wondered why he wouldn't go to a doctor about the fluid. Kind of weird. There was clearly a medical problem and he didn't even seem concerned about that - just the aesthetics of his chest. 

He didn't even seem overly concerned that the life expectancy for people with his condition was 35-40 years. !! His wife did seem bothered by all of it.

I wonder if these people are just really nervous, so come off as stiff and robot-like. I thought that might be the case with the wife of the face surgery guy in the last episode. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Maya said:

[Brandon from episode 3] didn't even seem overly concerned that the life expectancy for people with his condition [pectus excavatum] was 35–40 years! His wife did seem bothered by all of it.

I wonder if these people are just really nervous, so come off as stiff and robot-like. I thought that might be the case with the wife of [Nate], the face surgery guy in the [first] episode. 

Cynthia and Magali, the 27-year-old twins from episode 3, were low-energy, too. I just chalked it up to the difference between this show's ironically more "normal" patients and the self-obsessed attention whores on original recipe Botched.

It may have been during the after show, but they plugged http://botchedbynaturecasting.com

We are looking for people who were "born botched" or have become so by circumstances beyond their control. Were you born with an unusual birth defeat or abnormality? Do you have an odd, unusual, misshapen or over the top feature? Were you involved in an accident, act of god, animal attack or accident brought on by mother nature? Has basic reconstructive surgery not helped you aesthetically or functionally? If so, we want to hear from you.

5 hours ago, Maya said:

He didn't even seem overly concerned that the life expectancy for people with his condition was 35-40 years. !! His wife did seem bothered by all of it.

I wonder if these people are just really nervous, so come off as stiff and robot-like. I thought that might be the case with the wife of the face surgery guy in the last episode. 

It really bothered me that he said people with a sunken chest have a shortened life span.  He is clearly not a master googler.  There are various syndromes for pectus excavatum is a symptom.  If he has such a syndrome he may have something that limits lifespan.  However, the chest issue alone does not unless it is pressing on his heart.  If the bone hits the heart, it is then considered surgical.   So he could (and should) have had it fixed earlier.  If it doesn't hit the heart, it usually does not cause life-threatening issues.  He would have back and chest stiffness and some limits to his lung capacity.

So instead of having the corrective surgery, he had an implant made to fill the gap.   Then it got infected and started producing fluid.  He didn't rush to the ER (because they might want to remove the implant).  Instead he mastered draining his chest. 

I feel for him in that it is hard to grow up with a visible deformity.  I also think insurance should pay fot these types of corrective procedures even if they don't see the deformity as life-limiting.  But I still think the dude needs to make much better healthcare decisions. 

• Love 1

I had some secondhand embarrassment for him when he and his wife and her weird friends were on the boat(??), and the friends were all, "TAKE IT OFF!!" like he was a feature dancer at their bachelorette party. I was seriously waiting for them to stroke their fingertips down his chest. He then stood there awkwardly with his shirt in his hand. Maybe go to the pool and have him casually stroll out on the deck shirtless and in his trunks? One thing we've learned is that the Botched shows are not good at the "reveal".

• Love 2

I think I'm getting older and kinder in my old age..... ? Botched is my guilty pleasure show, probably because I live in LA, and keep seeing these crazy boob and lip jobs, especially.  When these freaks come on and say they want to look like Barbie or Ken, wow!  

Botched by Nature is just different, imho.  It's really so helpful to people who have suffered their entire lives with a very visible deformity.  

Except the toe woman....really?  Just wear 3" pumps.  Or boots.  Or flats.  A big difference from the twin brother who was so tragically shortchanged, compared to his brother.  

The guest Dr. who did the toe-woman's surgery did surgery on my foot.  A tendon snapped and it felt like I was walking on a marble.  That surgery made a HUGE difference in my daily life, and mobility.  When walking is painful, you are kind of screwed.  I like these guys.  

• Love 4

I sprained my right foot and ankle (mostly foot) last July in a half fall/misstep, and nothing helped relieve the pain--not the immobilizer boot, not pain meds, not cortisone shots, not an ankle brace, nothing. I just lived with the pain, which eventually and gradually decreased over the last few months. It will hurt now if I "overdo" it. I would gladly have given up a toe if that would've gotten rid of the pain.

I keep thinking about toe lady having painted that janky little toenail for it to be shown on TV.

Edited by bilgistic

One twin was also a good 15-20 lbs heavier than the other one. I was trying to figure it out ("hmmm.. This one's chin is pointier?") but in the after interview with bare arms it was clear.

I rolled my eyes at the "they didn't have the internet back then!" comment. First of all, the guy is in his mid 30s and had his implant done at 19?  That's 15 years ago. The internet predates the www and even the www was around when this guy was in high school.

• Love 2

The butt thing really didn't seem all that wacky of a surgery. The nose was another story. He looked very improved in profile.

His accent was wonderful. I'm a native North Carolinian with bit of a family country accent, but his family's Louisiana accent was so much nicer than mine.

• Love 4

I'll start! So I don't look as bad as most of these people on either show, but I DID get "botched" by nature and wish the docs could help ME out...

I have a rare, genetic conenctive tissue disorder. My body produces bad collagen and this affects everything, including my bones and joints. As a result, my lower jaw is receding and pushing backwards. I've lost my chin and my neck constantly looks swollen. It has also affected my nose, which is now turned to about 90 degrees. "Crooked" doesn't begin to describe it. My jaw is pushed back and to one side, but my nose it twisted to the opposite side, giving me a very odd look. It's also incredibly painful. I have constant headaches, it's difficult to chew because my jaw is always locking in place, and I've had 4 teeth crumble in the past 2 months. (Another effect of the medical condition.) I haven't been able to breathe out of my nose for years and I live with chronic sinusitis and postnasal drip. 

Next month I have an appointment to talk to a dentist about jaw surgery. They will have to break both jaws and reset them. They can also fix the deviated septum and hopefully straighten my nose. But I don't know how much insurance will cover just yet and it's a very long recovery process. I've actually recorded a You Tube video where I talk about the condition and how it has affected my jaw and nose and I show people the physical effects of it. I'd be happy to share the link in a PM if you're interested. 

By the way, that's just the way the condition has affected my FACE. It has done other things throughout the rest of my body, too. I ended up having brain surgery 4 years ago because of it. 

• Love 2

@mamadrama I have a connective tissue disorder too.  I have had 50 surgical procedures, one of which was a combination of corrective and cosmetic, fixing my nose and jaw.  I need another revision on the jaw but the insurance offered a cheaper fix only, so we have to wait until that fails before they'll consider the more costly procedure.  It is horribly frustrating.

• Love 3