Type keyword(s) to search

Equestrian: Horses for Courses

1 minute ago, candall said:

Me, too.   I might cry for the senior horse.

I'm already crying like a babay.

and, dang, girl - you are just everywhere I wanna be, aren't you?!   It's spooky how many shows we seem to "share", eh?  ;-)

OH NO!  HORSE DOWN!

Wait.  I just remembered I tape-delayed myself an hour to ff the commercials.  Pfft, I'm reporting old news.  Sorry.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:55 AM, SnideAsides said:

I wonder how tacky the cross-country hurdles will be this year. (These are the important questions that go through my mind two days before the Olympics.)

I'm not seeing tacky so much as just really fucking scary.  I've only been watching about 30 minutes and there's been a horse down, a horse whose foot slid off a slippery unexpected "boulder" on the back side of a hurdle, a rider falling off and being stepped on .   I don't even know where the animals find the courage to go diving headfirst through that pitch black "keyhole". . .

It's possible I don't have the constitution to watch "Equestrian."

• Love 2

Past years' courses have been referred to as 3 stars.  I heard commentary yesterday that said this was a hard 4 star, and I believe it.  Kinda weird to see that some riders still grease their horse's legs.  Haven't seen that at Rolex (the only xc I go to) in years.  I'm so proud of P. Dutton.    He is such a hard worker, great rider, lovely man.

And bravo to Michael Jung for winning back to back gold medals on the same horse, and the same horse he won Rolex with! 

Edited by PaulaO
Kudos to MJ
12 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yay, Phillip Dutton! And I feel so sorry for the last New Zealand rider in the team competition. To blow the lead and put your team from first to fourth has to really hurt.

Hey, can we Aussies share that bronze? The commentators were saying he was born and bred here and has previously won Olympic gold competing for us! :)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Past years' courses have been referred to as 3 stars.  I heard commentary yesterday that said this was a hard 4 star, and I believe it. 

Mark Todd (I think it was him) was quoted as saying that this was the hardest Olympics course since Los Angeles in 1984...and he has either ridden on or been heavily involved with, an Olympics team every year since 1984 so he knows of what he speaks.  This course was gnarly looking in places. 

• Love 1

OK, so I know nothing about equestrian stuff. Do they ship their horses? That must be incredibly expensive. Plus wouldn't the horses be kind of off their game after such a long trip? Must have really sucked when the Olympics were in Sydney.

On 8/10/2016 at 2:57 AM, katisha said:

Hey, can we Aussies share that bronze? The commentators were saying he was born and bred here and has previously won Olympic gold competing for us! :)

I have always thought that medals should count under the nationality of the horse, not the rider. And the medals should go around the horses' necks at the medal ceremony.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

OK, so I know nothing about equestrian stuff. Do they ship their horses? That must be incredibly expensive. Plus wouldn't the horses be kind of off their game after such a long trip? Must have really sucked when the Olympics were in Sydney.

NPR interviewed an Olympian about this and they said that the horses seem to take flying better than driving in the same amount of time. They will have groomsmen with them to cater to their needs and sometimes their riders will be with them too.

1 hour ago, Superpole2000 said:

I have always thought that medals should count under the nationality of the horse, not the rider. And the medals should go around the horses' necks at the medal ceremony.

Horses don't have nationalities.  They aren't citizens of anywhere.  A horse may be a Danish warmblood (specific breed) but that doesn't make him/her a citizen on Denmark.  Both horse AND rider should get a medal.  LOL.

17 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Horses don't have nationalities.  They aren't citizens of anywhere.  A horse may be a Danish warmblood (specific breed) but that doesn't make him/her a citizen on Denmark.

Thank you for giving purpose to my life. I will now focus on righting this wrong before 2020. If a horse was born in Australia, it is Australian!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

I just want to see the horses get medals.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Horses don't have nationalities.  They aren't citizens of anywhere.  A horse may be a Danish warmblood (specific breed) but that doesn't make him/her a citizen on Denmark.  Both horse AND rider should get a medal.  LOL.

But they have horse passports! Apparently one of the things Mary Carillo has ranted about in the past is horses counting as equipment, yet passports are required for them. She thinks they deserve an "identity upgrade." Ha!

When horses fly: Getting a horse to the Rio Olympics

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3

So, I was watching team jumping today; Canada and Germany tied for Bronze, meaning a thrilling jump-off.  After the commercial break, the NBC hostess announced "Canada and Germany had a jump-off for Bronze.  Germany won",

Me : "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Then I cursed NBC for not airing said jump-off with language that would make the characters on Deadwood blush.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

So, I was watching team jumping today; Canada and Germany tied for Bronze, meaning a thrilling jump-off.  After the commercial break, the NBC hostess announced "Canada and Germany had a jump-off for Bronze.  Germany won",

Me : "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Then I cursed NBC for not airing said jump-off with language that would make the characters on Deadwood blush.

Yeah, I'm super glad I watched the live streaming. They showed all of it, including the jump off. 

• Love 2
On 8/8/2016 at 10:50 AM, candall said:

OH NO!  HORSE DOWN!

Wait.  I just remembered I tape-delayed myself an hour to ff the commercials.  Pfft, I'm reporting old news.  Sorry.

I'm not seeing tacky so much as just really fucking scary.  I've only been watching about 30 minutes and there's been a horse down, a horse whose foot slid off a slippery unexpected "boulder" on the back side of a hurdle, a rider falling off and being stepped on .   I don't even know where the animals find the courage to go diving headfirst through that pitch black "keyhole". . .

It's possible I don't have the constitution to watch "Equestrian."

I had to quit watching for the same reasons I quit watching horse racing: the cruelty of using animals for human ego and the fact that many of the horses are being injured and killed. Just the week before the Olympics, I read about an experienced eventing horse dying from the injuries sustained on a jump. The story was by people inside the sport, so it wasn't like an animal group was somehow exaggerating things. It stated that jumping courses, especially in eventing, are being made more and more difficult and more animals are paying horrible prices. The comments section was full of other equestrian people who backed that up and wrote about other horse and rider deaths. I no longer watch any sport that uses animals. 

EDIT: Here's the story http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/liz-halliday-sharp-speaks-out-about-hhs-cooleys-death

Here's the Facebook post of the story with many similar stories by other equestrian people in the comments.  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157427145960314&id=82392280313

Edited by azshadowwalker
Adding links
  • Love 3

It's official: a jump off in equestrian is INTENSE.  GAH!  Lamaze had the gold and then...the horse nicked the last jump.  I can imagine the horse's thoughts "I just got my hooves done.  Now I probably wrecked the finish AND lost the gold.  I'm going to my barn.  Bring me tons of hay."

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

It's official: a jump off in equestrian is INTENSE.  GAH!  Lamaze had the gold and then...the horse nicked the last jump.  I can imagine the horse's thoughts "I just got my hooves done.  Now I probably wrecked the finish AND lost the gold.  I'm going to my barn.  Bring me tons of hay."

LOL i went NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
but then I saw Eric so happy for Nick Skelton i couldn't be that sad (+ Eric has a gold medal. if he hadn't i think he would have been more devestated). 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

LOL i went NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
but then I saw Eric so happy for Nick Skelton i couldn't be that sad (+ Eric has a gold medal. if he hadn't i think he would have been more devestated). 

I thought someone said that both men are past gold medal winners.

It does seem to be a very supportive community and I'm not surprised to hear that Eric was happy for Skelton.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, caprice said:

I thought someone said that both men are past gold medal winners.

Lamaze won gold in Beijing, as well as a silver there in the team competition.

It was excruciating to see him come so close to gold, but hey, now he's got a set.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Lamaze won gold in Beijing, as well as a silver there in the team competition.

It was excruciating to see him come so close to gold, but hey, now he's got a set.

I knew about Lamaze's Beijing gold (and still mourn Hickstead). I was saying that I thought one of the announcers had said that both Lamaze and Skelton had previously won golds.

Good lord, ANOTHER jump-off? Exciting!!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, caprice said:

I knew about Lamaze's Beijing gold (and still mourn Hickstead). I was saying that I thought one of the announcers had said that both Lamaze and Skelton had previously won golds.

Nick Skelton won gold as part of the British team in London but this was his first individual medal. 

• Love 2
On 19/08/2016 at 11:21 AM, azshadowwalker said:

I had to quit watching for the same reasons I quit watching horse racing: the cruelty of using animals for human ego and the fact that many of the horses are being injured and killed. Just the week before the Olympics, I read about an experienced eventing horse dying from the injuries sustained on a jump. The story was by people inside the sport, so it wasn't like an animal group was somehow exaggerating things. It stated that jumping courses, especially in eventing, are being made more and more difficult and more animals are paying horrible prices. The comments section was full of other equestrian people who backed that up and wrote about other horse and rider deaths. I no longer watch any sport that uses animals. 

A friend of mine who is a long-time horse lover and horse owner posted something on Facebook about "rollkur" and after reading it, I don't think I can ever see dressage the same way again.  Not that I was a huge fan of it anyway, but making a horse arch its neck to the extent that it impacts its breathing and makes its tongue go blue - I just can't.  :(

• Love 3