Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Oklahoma City Finals

• Start Topic

The top 30 competitors from the Oklahoma City Qualifier tackle an even more challenging course. The 4 added obstacles are: the Salmon Ladder, Bungee Road, Pinch Grab, and Invisible Ladder. Top ninjas Daniel Gil, Lance Pekus, and Brent Steffensen will take on the course.

Is "Lachey" an official term?

Nice to see so many familiar faces, only to see them fall off the leader board. Did Brent make the cut? I know Tremayne and David "Godfather" Campbell didn't. On the bright side, Jon Stewart performed unbearably well, even though the hosts kept harping on his age. "Oh my gawd! You're 54! How do you not shove a shotgun in your mouth each morning?!?"

Grant Clinton for the win. Second-fastest time six months after a stroke? Jeez.

ETA: How many wild cards are offered this season? I'm thinking that once you give a few to women who impressed on the qualifiers, there should be some left for long-time vets.

• Love 5

Brent made the cut. I felt bad for David Campbell. He just seemed so gutted. Tremayne too.

I loved Grant Clinton and cheered as hard for him as I have anyone this season. Such a great story.

I don't know how many wildcards there are. If the finals are anything like the original Sasuke wouldn't they cap it at 100 or something? So if you figure 15 earned spots per city (75 total) that would be 25 wildcards... Not sure about that though.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

Well my mom's redhead ninja ran, she was so excited she called me yelling. LOL, poor guy, he told her "no one ever gets to see me, they always do a recap" and sure enough that's exactly what happened this time.

They put the camera on Tremayne one too many time for my taste when his friend Karsten was running. I would've rather had Tremayne than Brent Steffenson.

When Campbell was running I was thinking "I wonder if Brent looks at the Godfather and sees his future" and then they cut to Brent. Watching Kacy support Brent is a weird thing, especially when she's walking arm in arm with his dad, but I guess it's a good thing they still get on so well, especially since they're still business partners.

Stillings' showboating was a bit annoying but he had a really impressive run, practically flew through the first part of the course. Daniel Gil was also impressive.

Clinton was a beast. Almost died six months ago and then just killed that course. I was impressed with how he did the pinch grab.

Edited by slf
  • Love 1

No women so I wasn't as interested as I usually am I did like Clinton's run.  That was awesome considering where he was six months ago.  It interesting that a point was made several times that the rookies were outshining the more seasoned competors this year because I have noticed that as well.  Then again its not really surprising the way this is set up plus with alot of them getting older I guess the younger hungrier ones were bound to surpass them.

It is nice to see Kacy hear for Brent even if they aren't together.  They are still business partners so that helps. 

Jon Stewart did well and yes it was annoying the host harping on his age with so many younger people it does come into play.  

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

On the bright side, Jon Stewart performed unbearably well, even though the hosts kept harping on his age. "Oh my gawd! You're 54! How do you not shove a shotgun in your mouth each morning?!?"

Ha, yeah, logically I get that it's definitely harder to do these courses the older you get but they were acting like he was in his seventies. His run was tremendous. But I have to admit I was a bit distracted wondering...has he done something to his face? Botox, an eye lift? His face was looking...tight.

4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

It interesting that a point was made several times that the rookies were outshining the more seasoned competors this year because I have noticed that as well.  Then again its not really surprising the way this is set up plus with alot of them getting older I guess the younger hungrier ones were bound to surpass them.

I wonder if the older ones are also getting a bit disheartened? David Campbell quite maturely admitted that Caldiero's win was a bitter pill to swallow (for all of us, dude, for all of us); don't they call him The Godfather because he's competed in every season? No wonder he was frustrated. While I'm sure they all enjoy competing on this show for a number of reasons (it does look like it'd be fun to try) they must all actually want to win; maybe it was easier to see yourself competing for the better part of a decade without winning when no one had ever won, and everyone was in the same boat, but once Caldiero (and Britten) proved it was possible and got a million to boot? Well now there are two boats.

• Love 3

Thank God the boat analogy isn't literal. We'd have to mount a rescue operation for Britten. I get the feeling it wouldn't take all that long alone in a boat with Caldiero before I started eyeing the water and contemplating my chances with the sharks.

• Love 4

Jon Stewart's little daughter is adorable.  She had some great moves on the rings.  

Episode is almost over, and I'm seriously meh about it. Happy for the guy with the stroke, but the rest of it was just sort of boring.

Count me as another among the Caldiero non-fans.  There are so many others I would have been thrilled to see finish, but he wasn't one of them.

• Love 4

He's saying "lache" which is a parkour term meaning to swing from one object to another.

Right - I was just bringing light to Akbar repeatedly using the term.  Seems that every episode has him repeating a phrase or word.  

Agree that Stewart looks a bit....'refreshed'.

• Love 1

I figured Brent would tank it again and, IMO, he doesn't deserve a wildcard.  Same with Kacey to an extent. Let's face it, no one can escape aging. Well except, for the 54 year old that is the exception and not the rule. The game/course has gone beyond the abilities of people like Brent, Kacey, the Godfather and many others. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Not only that, when Brent and Kacey first were at their pinnacle the course was easier! If they were going to win, it needed to be then, not now. We all have limits, no matter how hard we train. The human body is finite, it is not infinite.  Many of the ninjas are great athletes who work really hard to achieve this level. Some are great athletes without even trying. They have a gift. Adding the training to the natural, gifted athletes, makes them the winners. I would contend that Britton from last year is a natural. The young guy from this final with the long hair is a natural (he finished).  The stroke guy is a natural. You just can't train for biology that allows someone to have that little extra something that gives them that advantage. 

• Love 4

Some are great athletes without even trying. They have a gift.

I agree that some are naturals but I wouldn't go as far as saying "without even trying."  Daniel Gil is a natural IMO.  He's just got that certain something that's hard to define.  And he's been working out and training since he was a teenager, before he was even eligible to compete on ANW.  He's one of my favorites BTW.  I was on the edge of my seat watching him run the course.

I felt sorry for Tremayne Dortch.  He's such a nice guy that I always root for him.  The guy that beat him out may be nice too but his mother drives me nuts.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, mlp said:

I agree that some are naturals but I wouldn't go as far as saying "without even trying."  Daniel Gil is a natural IMO.  He's just got that certain something that's hard to define.  And he's been working out and training since he was a teenager, before he was even eligible to compete on ANW.  He's one of my favorites BTW.  I was on the edge of my seat watching him run the course.

I felt sorry for Tremayne Dortch.  He's such a nice guy that I always root for him.  The guy that beat him out may be nice too but his mother drives me nuts.

What I mean by a natural, we see several contestants a year that come out of nowhere that just kill the course without the benefit of many years of training. I cannot remember their names, but the guy who was living in his van, I think is a really good example of someone whose biology just makes them able to do these types of activities at a high level and they sort of discover it. Training only makes them better. I would agree that I felt bad for Tremayne too.   Yes, I agree that Daniel Gill (one of my faves) is an absolute natural. I am sure that he learns techniques from Sam Sahn, but he is a natural. Nice hair too! 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

the guy who was living in his van

Nicholas Coolridge.  I agree.  Also Neil "Crazy" Craver and probably Jake Murray too.  Jake is young and agile but he has what, for lack of a better word, I'd call fluidity which I associate with natural ability.  They all train a lot but they have the natural edge.

• Love 1

Yes, mlp, thanks for those names. Love Jake Murray, Neil Craver is great (I don't like him personally, but there is no denying his talent). And my fav female is Jessie Graff. I really want a slam dunk from her. I just don't think that Meagan can do it. They alluded during her last run that the psychological aspects are starting to become problematic for her. I don't see that with Jessie. Jessie is only on the uphill side of her potential on ANW. 

• Love 2

I don't see that with Jessie. Jessie is only on the uphill side of her potential on ANW. 

She is pretty amazing.  I'm excited for next week's show, that featured FOUR women in the finals.  Maybe it will make up for this final.  :)  

Not a bad show, and kudos to those who completed that super-difficult course, but none of my favorite competitors were on, except for Tremayne, and that didn't work out for him this year.  :(

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, VartanFan said:

Right - I was just bringing light to Akbar repeatedly using the term.  Seems that every episode has him repeating a phrase or word.

What?! 

(See what I did there?)

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

I only heard "lache" once but he does get a little repetitive.  I really like what Matt and Akbar add overall, though.  They seem to have the right combo of enthusiasm and knowledge and their voices are just really good.  

I just can't get past that Matt Iseman's twitter name is @mattiseman which I consistently read as matti seman, which I translate to matti semen.  Yes, I am 12 years old.  I apologize.

Edited by AlliePK
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AlliePK said:

I just can't get past that Matt Iseman's twitter name is @mattiseman which I consistently read as matti seman, which I translate to matti semen.  Yes, I am 12 years old.  I apologize.

I can't get past that Matt Iseman is an MD. 

If they end up giving Brett or Kacey Wild Card this year, I'll be upset. Neither one of them made it nearly far enough into the course to even remotely qualify for one - and it has nothing to do with age or gender as other competitors have proven. The course does keep getting more difficult, and they simply cannot keep up.

If I hear the term "Mighty Kacey" one more time I will vomit on my keyboard. It should now be "Mighty Megan" or "Mighty Jessie." They have done far better than Kacey ever did - the only reason Kacey ended up with the recognition she did is because she was the first woman to make it up the warped wall. Well, she was only first because the city they placed her to run in (and they definitely pick the courses for her, not just use the course closest to her home town as she's run in multiple cities) was first that season (or at least aired first). A few other women made it up the wall as well that same season, but because they weren't shown doing it "first" Kacey got this title and was deemed Queen of ANW along with her King, Brett (who she basically stalked when he became famous and then got into a relationship with him and started competing). I have a friend who knows them both (belongs to their gym) and apparently she followed him from town to town when he was doing his motivational speaking (after his early ANW appearances) and then she moved to Utah, where he is originally from, joined his gym and then struck up a relationship with him. She road his coattails as far as they would take her, and with his demise in the last couple of seasons, now they are split up. I think the whole thing of having her there to cheer him on is requested/required by ANW more than anything else as, according to my friend, they try to never be at the gym at the same time and when they are, they do not talk much.

In any case, Jessie, Megan, and several of the other females are far superior than Kacey ever was or will be. Glad it seems they are starting to get more recognition.

Also, I cannot stand Daniel Gill and his Kenny G hair. You would think he would  want to pull it back in case it gets in his face and causes him issues, especially if it is windy when he has to run the course. I'm a female with hair down beyond my waist and it gets in my way on a daily basis just doing normal tasks. I also think he's arrogant and can't stop talking about how great he and his hair are. He may be talented, but this is only his second season - he needs to dial back the cockiness a bit.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

Kacey looks out of Brent's league to me.  I don't know, maybe he looked better in prior years but I just don't think he's attractive at all, and I think she's beautiful.    It probably helps that there's a beautiful shot of her used as the ANW title shot.  

I think it's the other way around and that Brett could do far better than Kacey. Kacey looks like a 12 year old boy. For those who like women with no womanly features whatsoever, go for it. At least Jessie, Megan and most of the other female contestants have nice, athletic, strong, yet still feminine bodies. They also don't parade around in what amount to underpants (see the yellow things Kacey wore when they repeatedly show her run to be "the first woman to top the warped wall") to run the course and they don't sound like minnie mouse either. Nor did they stalk a hot ANW commodity to get on the show to begin with. Though Kacey  has definitely done her best in all the years she's been competing - I just think her chance passed her by and there are many more stronger females in the field now.

I think that Brett is fairly attractive (though maybe a bit too short for my taste), has clearly spent a lot of time on his physique, doesn't brag about it, and looks like a man and not a boy. Brett can do far better and hopefully, this time, the next girl he is serious about won't just be using him.

Edited by Rapunzel

Kacy is a gymnast and is built like one. Nothing wrong with that, imo. She wears clothes that are comfortable for her to run the course in, which should be the priority. At 5'0", managing to finish an ANW city course once is mind-boggling to me. (Dustin McKinney is 5'2", and I find him just as amazing.)

I don't really care about ninja romances. I'm the type of viewer that could do with fewer personal stories and more full runs being shown. Olympics coverage tends to make me scream. Show the competition!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

If they end up giving Brett or Kacey Wild Card this year, I'll be upset. Neither one of them made it nearly far enough into the course to even remotely qualify for one - and it has nothing to do with age or gender as other competitors have proven. The course does keep getting more difficult, and they simply cannot keep up.

If I hear the term "Mighty Kacey" one more time I will vomit on my keyboard. It should now be "Mighty Megan" or "Mighty Jessie." They have done far better than Kacey ever did - the only reason Kacey ended up with the recognition she did is because she was the first woman to make it up the warped wall. Well, she was only first because the city they placed her to run in (and they definitely pick the courses for her, not just use the course closest to her home town as she's run in multiple cities) was first that season (or at least aired first). A few other women made it up the wall as well that same season, but because they weren't shown doing it "first" Kacey got this title and was deemed Queen of ANW along with her King, Brett (who she basically stalked when he became famous and then got into a relationship with him and started competing).

Brent made it through fair and square. I was hoping he wouldn't though, to take some of the attention off him and Kacey.

I think the "Mighty Kacey" thing is a reference to that old-school baseball poem "Casey at the Bat"... although I'm not sure why they would use it, as the last line is something like "But there is no joy in Mudville; Mighty Casey has struck out." Although this Kacey has struck out plenty of times in the past couple of years, so maybe the title really is more fitting than we think! But yeah. Kacey is old hat. I find Meagan and Jessie and even Michelle Warnky much more interesting these days.

But in fairness, part of Kacey's recognition is from actually finishing a finals course. Yeah, initially she got credit for being first up the wall (just because the city she ran in aired first). There are plenty of men who have never finished a city finals, so for a woman to accomplish it, especially one of her stature... I admit, it is kind of a big deal. But that's old news, and she hasn't been able to replicate her earlier success, so it's about high time to move on and focus on those who can perform.

• Love 4

But in fairness, part of Kacey's recognition is from actually finishing a finals course. Yeah, initially she got credit for being first up the wall (just because the city she ran in aired first). There are plenty of men who have never finished a city finals, so for a woman to accomplish it, especially one of her stature... I admit, it is kind of a big deal. But that's old news, and she hasn't been able to replicate her earlier success, so it's about high time to move on and focus on those who can perform

This is the same issue though - she was only first by default. Other women finished that season as well, she just happened to go, or be shown, first. In any case, they keep hyping her and the warped wall thing, which just isn't fair to the other women who made it past that in the same season.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, fivestone said:

Brent made it through fair and square. I was hoping he wouldn't though, to take some of the attention off him and Kacey.

I thought he flamed out on the log running thing. Am I wrong?  I cannot remember if he was in the top 15 or 30 for his city final. I thought not. 

In respect to what Kacey wears, I think that she is used to the micro shorts because gymnasts are gonna get over being bashful as they wear what amounts to a one piece bathing suit (specially made of course) in competition AND they are in lots of awkward positions.  I think that Jessie's shorts are pretty short too. But, if they are comfortable in it (and they all look great), more power to them.  Cannot wait for Geoff Britton's run! 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I thought he flamed out on the log running thing. Am I wrong?  I cannot remember if he was in the top 15 or 30 for his city final. I thought not. 

Nope, he fell on the hanging red bungee cords thing right after the salmon ladder. I was hoping against hope that it wouldn't be enough, but he cruised through right in the middle of the pack.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, fivestone said:

Nope, he fell on the hanging red bungee cords thing right after the salmon ladder. I was hoping against hope that it wouldn't be enough, but he cruised through right in the middle of the pack.

I must have forgotten, he hasn't done that well the past couple of seasons. Well at least he earned it. I did not want him to get an undeserved wildcard. Maybe Treymane will get a wildcard. 

• Love 2

I think all the women are superstars but if I had to pick an outfit to ridicule I think it'd be Jessie's.  I mean, she rocks it and she's got that show biz career to plug but the Wonder Woman thing is so cheesy.  It reminds me of the costume my daughter wore for Halloween when she was 13.  But I would never judge any of these athletes' character by their attire.  Whatever floats your boat.  

1 hour ago, Rapunzel said:

This is the same issue though - she was only first by default. Other women finished that season as well, she just happened to go, or be shown, first. In any case, they keep hyping her and the warped wall thing, which just isn't fair to the other women who made it past that in the same season.

Well, it seems pretty fair to me: she was first, so she's called the first. It's just a fact. I don't see how it's unfair to other women; their accomplishments were also acknowledged. It's not unfair to Caldiero to acknowledge that Britten was the first to complete Stage 4.

5 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

They have done far better than Kacey ever did - the only reason Kacey ended up with the recognition she did is because she was the first woman to make it up the warped wall.

Meagan hasn't completed a city finals. I'm not sure that Jessie has either. Kacey I'm pretty sure is still the only female competitor to advance to Stage 1 by hitting buzzers. The others advanced on either farthest fastest or as wildcards. Martin and Graff are both great athletes and I love watching them compete but I'm not sure that either of them has actually accomplished more than Catanzaro.

5 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

I have a friend who knows them both (belongs to their gym) and apparently she followed him from town to town when he was doing his motivational speaking (after his early ANW appearances) and then she moved to Utah, where he is originally from, joined his gym and then struck up a relationship with him. She road his coattails as far as they would take her, and with his demise in the last couple of seasons, now they are split up. I think the whole thing of having her there to cheer him on is requested/required by ANW more than anything else as, according to my friend, they try to never be at the gym at the same time and when they are, they do not talk much.

Eh, sounds like a Lifetime movie to me. I don't see how she's ridden anyone's coattails, either. People never chanted "Brett's girlfriend" during one of her runs and I don't recall her ever trying to steal the limelight during an important moment of his like he did with her. She's always gotten far more attention than him, as far as I can tell.

Like others, I don't really care about ninja romances. But this whole "Kacey rode Brent's coattails" "Kacey only did well because she was with Brent" (which I've seen on Facebook and Tumblr) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Brent didn't run the warped wall for her or complete that city final (and that wasn't an easy one); Kacey earned her accomplishments. 

I think all the women are superstars but if I had to pick an outfit to ridicule I think it'd be Jessie's.  I mean, she rocks it and she's got that show biz career to plug but the Wonder Woman thing is so cheesy. 

Oh yeah, I kind of groaned when I first saw it, but in an affectionate way. It's cheesy and dorky, but she's always so cheery and ready to have a good time on the course. Not to mention she's a badass.

Edited by slf
  • Love 3

Like others, I don't really care about ninja romances. But this whole "Kacey rode Brent's coattails" "Kacey only did well because she was with Brent" (which I've seen on Facebook and Tumblr) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Brent didn't run the warped wall for her or complete that city final (and that wasn't an easy one); Kacey earned her accomplishments. 

First and foremost, I never said that Kacey only did well because of Brett. I even acknowledged her accomplishments, regardless of what went on in their relationship. In addition, Brett was at this far longer than Kacey - she came on board after she got involved with him. What I meant by "riding his coattails" is that is was purely to help her get on the show since Brett had been at it for quite some time (even outside the US, I believe) prior to hooking up with Kacey. She didn't have to stand for days and weeks in a walk-on line and the show was all too eager to hype their relationship. I think that did  a disservice to every other female competitor at the time because it was clear she was already favored since Brett was King at the time and one of the best competitors.

Well, it seems pretty fair to me: she was first, so she's called the first. It's just a fact. I don't see how it's unfair to other women; their accomplishments were also acknowledged. It's not unfair to Caldiero to acknowledge that Britten was the first to complete Stage 4.

Just because Kacey was shown first, does not mean she actually went first. This show is not live and is filmed quite a bit in advance of it airing - as is evidenced by people wearing winter coats and things when it starts airing in June. In addition, the courses, while they appear to try to make them equal in difficulty, aren't necessarily. Kacey gets her course selected for her and does not have to go to where ever is closer or where ever she can make it to given her schedule. The Show picks it for her, and I think that's kind of cheating. They do it for other contestants as well, and it appears as though the show is trying to set certain competitors up for an advantage.

I also think they have intentionally hyped Kacey, largely due to Brett in the beginning, and now stronger women have entered the field and are doing far better than Kacey. Kacey went out on the 3rd obstacle (the log roller) in the first round. There were several other ladies that completed the entire course. In addition, every time she went to Mt. Midoriyama, she went on a Wild Card. She also always went out on (and possibly before) the second obstacle of the first stage. Jessie has made it farther than her in the recent team competition and is far more versatile and athletic - I just want her to get the props she deserves. Kacey has had her time, and she did help plow a lot of ground, but now she is just not the top woman out there - just like Brett is no longer the top male out there. The other women, like Megan and Jessie, need to be given credit for their accomplishments as they've now surpassed Kacey. They have no problem acknowledging the top newer men, it would just be nice to see them give the newer women on the scene their props as well.

I lived in Japan for sometime, and I have seen the original version live, and they do not manipulate things the way they see to be on this show. In addition, nearly all of the competitors are right around 5 feet or so, so the height argument goes out the window for me. There were those in Japan that completed Mt. Midoriyama long before anyone in the US did and they were far shorter and didn't have quite the same athletic background either.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2

I completely forgot about this, but you're right. He didn't finish the course but went far enough fast enough to qualify for Mt. Midoriyama (so he made the top 15). After all of his early flame outs lately, let's hope he really does some major training and makes it past Stage 1 at least. Far better competitors than he didn't make it in their respective cities due to the difference in courses or whatever reason, so hopefully he can prove his worth again here.

Also, we won't know who they gave the Wild Cards to until Mt. Midoriyama, so Kacey may still get one. I think it's unlikely this year, even though she almost always gets one, but as the female field is so strong this season, I can't see how they would justify giving it to her when she went out on the third obstacle in the first round (balancing logs or whatever it is called).

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

In addition, every time she went to Mt. Midoriyama, she went on a Wild Card. She also always went out on (and possibly before) the second obstacle of the first stage.

Not every time. As slf point out, Kacy hit the buzzer at her Dallas final, which no other woman has done. That's why she still has so much mystique. I don't think anyone cares that she was filmed first going up the Warped Wall; it's that she actually completed an entire city final course. I suspect when another woman does that, Kacy's time in the limelight will end. I'll be sad, though. I like the other female competitors, but they're all tall. There's something so inspirational about seeing tiny Kacy do these leaps and grabs. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Not every time. As slf point out, Kacy hit the buzzer at her Dallas final, which no other woman has done. That's why she still has so much mystique. I don't think anyone cares that she was filmed first going up the Warped Wall; it's that she actually completed an entire city final course. I suspect when another woman does that, Kacy's time in the limelight will end. I'll be sad, though. I like the other female competitors, but they're all tall. There's something so inspirational about seeing tiny Kacy do these leaps and grabs. 

My apologies if I've forgotten this. In any case, she still went out on the first or second obstacle on Stage 1 at Mt. Midoriyama. Again, she still plowed some ground for ladies out there, however as the courses have gotten harder and new obstacles added, she hasn't done so well (neither has brett, for that matter) but other women have thrived. I would so love to see Jessie, Megan, Michelle Warnkey, or any of the other ladies that qualified for the Mountain do well - especially given that that cockey  bastard Caldiero won last year by beating Popeye (I think that's what they call Geoff Britten) by just seconds.

At least Jessie (and I believe Megan as well) have experience on certain parts of Mt. Midoriyama due to the team competition, so hopefully that helps them, unless they totally switch it up this year but they've kept it pretty much the same year after year since no one finished. Now that two have finished, maybe they have decided to change it up?

First and foremost, I never said that Kacey only did well because of Brett. I even acknowledged her accomplishments, regardless of what went on in their relationship. In addition, Brett was at this far longer than Kacey - she came on board after she got involved with him. What I meant by "riding his coattails" is that is was purely to help her get on the show since Brett had been at it for quite some time (even outside the US, I believe) prior to hooking up with Kacey. She didn't have to stand for days and weeks in a walk-on line and the show was all too eager to hype their relationship. I think that did  a disservice to every other female competitor at the time because it was clear she was already favored since Brett was King at the time and one of the best competitors.

They select people for this show for a number of reasons. It's speculation that Catanzaro was chosen for her relationship and not because of her background. I think they were eager for a female finisher and were selecting women they thought had the right background. I'm not saying her relationship with Brent couldn't have possibly been a factor, but that's true for several other female competitors as well. Several of the men have been chosen because they had wacky auditions tapes (and promptly failed upon running the qualifier) and some even because they're attractive. I'm not seeing any posts criticizing that. I suppose I just don't get why Catanzaro is always singled out for this. 

Just because Kacey was shown first, does not mean she actually went first. This show is not live and is filmed quite a bit in advance of it airing - as is evidenced by people wearing winter coats and things when it starts airing in June. In addition, the courses, while they appear to try to make them equal in difficulty, aren't necessarily. Kacey gets her course selected for her and does not have to go to where ever is closer or where ever she can make it to given her schedule. The Show picks it for her, and I think that's kind of cheating. They do it for other contestants as well, and it appears as though the show is trying to set certain competitors up for an advantage.

Is there anything to suggest she didn't go first, thought? I know the show isn't live and is filmed in advance but I've never seen anything to indicate Catanzaro's run was put ahead of another female competitor who might've made it up the wall first. And I find it hard to believe that wouldn't have become a big deal; other competitors who felt they were screwed over have made a stink in the press. I also find it hard to believe that the city final Catanzaro ran and completed was chosen for her because it's so easy; I watched a lot of the runs available on YT from that season and her city final wasn't the 'easiest', not that there's ever an easy city final. I've read in interviews and I think on the wolfpack's blog that sometimes the course chosen has to do with simply where that ninja is at the time; if they're visiting family or training somewhere else they're allowed to run the course there rather than the one nearest to where they live, but I'm not 100% sure.

I do think they show certainly favors some competitors over others but I'd point out the courses themselves are designed to favor certain body types over others which provide an advantage to some athletes. If this show is rigged in Catanzaro's favor I'd honestly expect her to do better. 

I also think they have intentionally hyped Kacey, largely due to Brett in the beginning, and now stronger women have entered the field and are doing far better than Kacey. Kacey went out on the 3rd obstacle (the log roller) in the first round. There were several other ladies that completed the entire course. In addition, every time she went to Mt. Midoriyama, she went on a Wild Card. She also always went out on (and possibly before) the second obstacle of the first stage. Jessie has made it farther than her in the recent team competition and is far more versatile and athletic - I just want her to get the props she deserves. Kacey has had her time, and she did help plow a lot of ground, but now she is just not the top woman out there - just like Brett is no longer the top male out there. The other women, like Megan and Jessie, need to be given credit for their accomplishments as they've now surpassed Kacey. They have no problem acknowledging the top newer men, it would just be nice to see them give the newer women on the scene their props as well.

Catanzaro completed a city course, neither Graff nor Martin has done that. She is the only female competitor to go to Mt. Midoriyama after completing a final, Martin and any others have been either wildcards or advanced by farthest fastest. Meagan went out on the second obstacle in her city final in season 7 and based on the way they hype her having nailed the Jumping Spider I've always thought she was the first woman to do it but it turns out she's not, she's the second. But that's still a great accomplishment and the way the treat her like she was the first isn't her fault. Going out on the second obstacle isn't exactly unknown to even veterans. Drew Drechsel went out on the second obstacle in his city final during season 6. It happens. 

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree because I feel like Meagan and Jessie have both been given credit for their accomplishments, both for ranking very high as female competitors, for nailing obstacles others couldn't do, and for their strong performances in Vegas. I think the show really shined the spotlight on Graff this season and she deserves that. Neither has been undercut for Catanzaro in my opinion.

Edited by slf
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, slf said:

They select people for this show for a number of reasons. It's speculation that Catanzaro was chosen for her relationship and not because of her background. I think they were eager for a female finisher and were selecting women they thought had the right background. I'm not saying her relationship with Brent couldn't have possibly been a factor, but that's true for several other female competitors as well. Several of the men have been chosen because they had wacky auditions tapes (and promptly failed upon running the qualifier) and some even because they're attractive. I'm not seeing any posts criticizing that. I suppose I just don't get why Catanzaro is always singled out for this. 

Is there anything to suggest she didn't go first, thought? I know the show isn't live and is filmed in advance but I've never seen anything to indicate Catanzaro's run was put ahead of another female competitor who might've made it up the wall first. And I find it hard to believe that wouldn't have become a big deal; other competitors who felt they were screwed over have made a stink in the press. I also find it hard to believe that the city final Catanzaro ran and completed was chosen for her because it's so easy; I watched a lot of the runs available on YT from that season and her city final wasn't the 'easiest', not that there's ever an easy city final. I've read in interviews and I think on the wolfpack's blog that sometimes the course chosen has to do with simply where that ninja is at the time; if they're visiting family or training somewhere else they're allowed to run the course there rather than the one nearest to where they live, but I'm not 100% sure.

I do think they show certainly favors some competitors over others but I'd point out the courses themselves are designed to favor certain body types over others which provide an advantage to some athletes. If this show is rigged in Catanzaro's favor I'd honestly expect her to do better. 

Catanzaro completed a city course, neither Graff nor Martin has done that. She is the only female competitor to go to Mt. Midoriyama after completing a final, Martin and any others have been either wildcards or advanced by farthest fastest. Meagan went out on the second obstacle in her city final in season 7 and based on the way they hype her having nailed the Jumping Spider I've always thought she was the first woman to do it but it turns out she's not, she's the second. But that's still a great accomplishment and the way the treat her like she was the first isn't her fault. Going out on the second obstacle isn't exactly unknown to even veterans. Drew Drechsel went out on the second obstacle in his city final during season 6. It happens. 

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree because I feel like Meagan and Jessie have both been given credit for their accomplishments, both for ranking very high as female competitors, for nailing obstacles others couldn't do, and for their strong performances in Vegas. I think the show really shined the spotlight on Graff this season and she deserves that. Neither has been undercut for Catanzaro in my opinion.

Yes, it seems we will have to agree to disagree as far as Kacey goes. I think Jessie, Megan, and the other much stronger females in the field this year speak for themselves and I hope they all do well. If Kacey ends up getting a Wild Card to Midoriyama, then I wish her the best as well. I have nothing personal against her all, it just bothers me that women who are just as good, or even better, keep getting overlooked and it's all about "the Mighty Kacey" and her and Brett being the King and Queen of ANW (though guess they can't do that anymore given their break up). That just isn't right - and I know it's not her that chooses how the network hypes it, but I do want more focus on Jessie, Megan, Michelle, etc.

I wish everyone the best in the competition, especially having seen it live in Japan, with the exception of the overly arrogant competitors - it broke my heart that, although Geoff Britten was truly the first American Ninja Warrior, he didn't get the official title as Issac Caldiero beat him by seconds on the rope climb. That guy comes across as a complete ass.

Maybe Geoff (or one of our superladies) will win it all this year. Of course, you can never rule out the Weatherman, Kevin Bull (did he end up qualifying? I can't remember. If not, I think he would be a candidate for a Wild Card), the flight attendant from Hawaii, Drew Dreschell (though haven't really cared for him much), Flip Rodriguez (didn't care for him in earlier seasons, but now have a better understanding of him since he revealed his horrible background), Travis the Stockbroker (can't remember his last name), etc. So many talented people, but the course is tough and we don't know yet if they changed it since two people managed to complete it last year. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Also very curious to see who the Wild Cards went to.

Edited by Rapunzel
34 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Maybe Geoff (or one of our superladies) will win it all this year. Of course, you can never rule out the Weatherman, Kevin Bull (did he end up qualifying? I can't remember. If not, I think he would be a candidate for a Wild Card), the flight attendant from Hawaii, Drew Dreschell (though haven't really cared for him much), Flip Rodriguez (didn't care for him in earlier seasons, but now have a better understanding of him since he revealed his horrible background), Travis the Stockbroker (can't remember his last name), etc. So many talented people, but the course is tough and we don't know yet if they changed it since two people managed to complete it last year. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Also very curious to see who the Wild Cards went to.

Kevin Bull did qualify, he made it far enough and was third behind Graff and Josh Levin. Joe Moravsky is so consistently fantastic but is such a quiet personality compared to some of the others that I often forget about him until I'm watching him tear a course up. I'd wager they did change the course to make it harder, though I can't imagine how. According to various wikis the wildcards goes to whoever ranks 16th in the finals, but they don't show the rankings enough during an episode to always know who that'll be. However I believe that Tremayne Dortch will be the wildcard from the Oklahoma finals, since Karsten making it through knocked him out of the top fifteen.

• Love 1
On August 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Rapunzel said:

No, no other woman completed the city finals that year.  I am not sure any woman besides Kacey has actually completed a city final.  My recollection which might be wrong is that Jessie came close last year falling on the plexiglass climbing thing.  this year, I don't recall her dipping the climb up the tower.  So far Kacey, Jessie and Megan (only this year) are the only women who have ever qualified on their own merit to Stage one of Vegas.  

ETA:   Megan and Michelle and a whole lot of female competitors including Graff (who competed  in a chicken/ bird suit) got wild cards in prior years.  I don"t see what the big deal is about that since it has always been a given that lots of female competitors will get wild cards.  I would expect tianna and the rock climbing researcher to get a wild card, like the Megan, Michele, the Parisian student, etc have in the past.   I  will say I sometimes feel like there is an effort to minimize Kacey's accomplishments and that bothers me.  It keeps me from fully rooting for Graff.  She strikes me as super competitive and seems to want act like kacey wasn't the first up the warped wall or to complete a city finals.  

Sorry i I responded before I read all the thread.

Edited by kitticup
  • Love 1

I did not realize that Kacey is the ONLY female to ever finish a city finals (does that also apply to the Japanese version?). Even though I am a huge Jessie fan, until another female does it, Kacey is still "mighty".  Although, I do think that the courses have gotten harder overall.

• Love 3

The Japanese version consists of only what we'd call the "Vegas Finals", a run of 100 competitors, about half of whom are chosen for novelty factor. In that tourney, a woman completed the relatively easy first stage along with 30 or so men in the 2nd tourney. Since then, no woman has completed the first stage. It's now the 32nd tourney. Kacy came closest this past tourney, timing out in the last obstacle. 

• Love 2

ETA:   Megan and Michelle and a whole lot of female competitors including Graff (who competed  in a chicken/ bird suit) got wild cards in prior years.  I don"t see what the big deal is about that since it has always been a given that lots of female competitors will get wild cards.  I would expect tianna and the rock climbing researcher to get a wild card, like the Megan, Michele, the Parisian student, etc have in the past.   I  will say I sometimes feel like there is an effort to minimize Kacey's accomplishments and that bothers me.  It keeps me from fully rooting for Graff.  She strikes me as super competitive and seems to want act like kacey wasn't the first up the warped wall or to complete a city finals.  

The year prior to Kacy making it up the Warped Wall, Jessie Graff made it to the Warped Wall but failed to get up. At the time she was one of the top (if not THE top) female competing. Then she tore a ligament - her ACL, maybe? - in the off season and spent the year Kacy made it up the Wall (and Maegan, and Michelle Warnkey) doing rehab on her knee. If I remember correctly, she easily made it up the Warped Wall in 2015, so I'm sure it stung (and still probably stings a bit) watching the others get the publicity and recognition for something she'd be working towards and something she knew she could have done. She was so close to being the first. 

I'm actually a little ashamed that I knew the details about Jessie Graff's injuries off the top of my head. I might spend too much time thinking about this show. 

• Love 4

To be honest, being the first to do something seems to be a bigger deal to some people than to me. For me, first is a timing issue. I'm happy for anyone who does it and don't really see a need to take anything away from them, either by saying people have done it after or before them. They did it. Most people don't. Enjoy the glory.

I am impressed that Kacy had any success at all on any course given her height. The city finals course she completed had poles contestants had to move between, and the distance between some of them was 5' or greater. Unlike the other ninjas who could straddle that, Kacy had to cling to one pole with her back to the one she was jumping to, jump, turn in mid-air, and grab and hang on to the second pole. She earned that finals finish.

Being a short person myself, I have a soft spot for ninjas whose bodies don't really fit the course ideal. Like Nick, the 6'6" ninja from some small village in Alaska, who has to wedge some portion of his hyuuuuuuuge feet onto tiny ledges during climbing obstacles, and the football-player-frame guys who are bulky muscle instead of lean muscle that you know are going to have a hard time supporting those 200 lbs through all the upper body stuff. I'm pretty sure they said Meagan Martin is only 5'3", and if so, she does amazingly well.

• Love 2

I really thought that Jessie was going to finish her Finals course this year.  I think it's a matter of time before someone else does it, but, every now and then, I re-watch Kacy's crazy Finals run, and it still impresses the heck out of me.  

That being said, I don't think she has a strong chance of making it very far in the Vegas finals, especially as long as they keep including the Jumping Spider.  She has to hit it absolutely perfectly in order to make it through, whereas someone who is 5' 6" has a lot more room for error.  

I'm looking forward to the four-woman episode coming up.

• Love 1

There was some talk on one of the threads about altering the course for shorter people.  I think that would minimize the accomplishments of Graf, Martin, Warnky, and, yes, Catanzaro.

On 8/5/2016 at 4:18 PM, simplyme said:

I don't really care about ninja romances. I'm the type of viewer that could do with fewer personal stories and more full runs being shown. Olympics coverage tends to make me scream. Show the competition!

BattleFrog on ESPN is just right.  Great sports coverage of obstacle racing.

• Love 1