Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

(sigh) people. tonnes of athletes don't put their hands over their heart. lol i'd be one cranky famous person

Americans DO put their hand over their heart for the National Anthem.  American Military Folk salute instead.  It is traditional.  NO excuse.

• Love 3
Just now, Brattinella said:

Americans DO put their hand over their heart for the National Anthem.  American Military Folk salute instead.  It is traditional.  NO excuse.

Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

Technically, it is a written protocol that you place your hand over your heart when the national anthem is played (or salute) if you're representing the United States. Another forum I read actually looked it up. It is very disrespectful not to do so. 

Ahhh.. then I apologise. I thought it was just CSM (Cranky Social Media). I honestly didn't know that it's a legitimate thing for Americans. (forgiveness please).  I know some Canadians hand on heart, but some don't. 

now I am curious why Gabby hasn't done so all year. 

• Love 2

I just checked from 2012 Gabby definitely had her hand over her heart during the team final medal ceremony. It is hard to to tell if Her hand is over heart during the all around medal cermony because the hand she was using was holding the flowers while her other hand is behind her back. 

Edited by choclatechip45

To me, it's really only disrespectful if that's your intention and if you were 100% aware of protocol but ignored it. I feel like Gabby has represented the US well, so cut her some slack. Also, if the social media responses were more about being helpful and attempting to let her know protocol indicates this, that, and the other, it would feel less gross to me. As it is, and considering other stuff people have directed at Gabby, I say leave it alone. Let her enjoy her damn medal.

Also, you'd think Olympians would get some training on this if it were a problem. Is there anything like that pre-Olympics?

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Technically, it is a written protocol that you place your hand over your heart when the national anthem is played (or salute) if you're representing the United States. Another forum I read actually looked it up. It is very disrespectful not to do so. 

I am 58 years old and I did not know this until today -- that it is written protocol.  

I noticed Gabby and wondered if there would be a stink about it.  She said she stood at attention and has always done so, so I'll give her a pass.

Well, a quick Google search yielded 36 U.S. Code § 301, which confirms the hand on heart protocol during the national anthem (for non-military members). I'm a bit surprised actually, since I thought it was just tradition rather than official protocol. 

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 2

I always feel like an idiot doing it, like I'm copping a feel of my own ample left breast.  It's a long damn song!  I'm all for saluting the colors as they pass, but the extended hand-on-heart thing just feels a little creepy, frankly.

I fully expect the Feds to show up on my doorstep momentarily to take me to flag jail.

• Love 16

It may be written protocol, but there is also the right not to do so. Not that you won't face criticism, but the government can't do anything to a citizen who refuses to hold their hand over their heart. I'm American and I've always thought it's a little strange how much we worship our flag. 

• Love 12

I always used to like watching the athletes who started out mouthing along to the words of the anthem, but then got confused and flubbed things up part way through. Now I realize that there's no way I could remember all the words during such an emotional moment, and I give major props to anyone who actually can. It still makes me giggle though, to watch them mess up!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

No apologies necessary, haha. We Americans are very patriotic and I live in a part of the country that would lay waste to anyone who dared disrespect the flag or not show proper respect during the national anthem. That's why I'm not surprised Gabby was called out on it! 

5 minutes ago, tanyak said:

Well, I don't know what any official protocol is, but I see plenty of people who don't, including other gold medalists. She didn't have one thing to apologize for. She stood there quietly and respectfully.

I think people just keep looking for reasons to criticize Gabby Douglas. 

Michael Phelps went onto a laughing fit during the start spangled banner and almost fell off the podium. I don't know if that's a rule, but some might see it as a bit disrespectful to the flag. I mean, he was in hysterics.  And there's no national outrage. 

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady (of the New England Patriots) don't put their hands over their hearts during the National Anthem. And aside from a few Tweets, there was no national coverage about it. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Lovecat said:

I always feel like an idiot doing it, like I'm copping a feel of my own ample left breast.  It's a long damn song!  I'm all for saluting the colors as they pass, but the extended hand-on-heart thing just feels a little creepy, frankly.

I fully expect the Feds to show up on my doorstep momentarily to take me to flag jail.

Just put your hand on the middle of your chest. That way there's no boobage feels. Soccer players do it all the time.

Is it written protocol to laugh through the anthem Michael Phelps? (just getting sassy today, lol)

EDIT:

2 minutes ago, topanga said:

I think people just keep looking for reasons to criticize Gabby Douglas. 

Michael Phelps went onto a laughing fit during the start spangled banner and almost fell off the podium. I don't know if that's a rule, but some might see it as a bit disrespectful to the flag. I mean, he was in hysterics.  And there's no national outrage. 

Bingo!

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

Whoops. I mean "Star Spangled Banner." No angry tweets, please! 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Jillibean said:

As for the pricey leos, my understanding from figure skating is that the bedazzling process, or whatever you call it when it's actual fashion done by professionals, is very expensive. 

Jon Horton had a great comment during the live feed: " I guess everyone got the memo about upping the bling on the leos."  And I thought all the countries had gorgeous outfits, with the single exception of  Germany, who went with something modish out of the 60's with neon green and coral.

Also, a bit late to the party about the men's final, but I couldn't believe the primetime(ish) airing when they showed some of the other (medaling) countries and what they showed was ....... dismounts. Russian gymnast's dismount from the high bar, Chinese gymnast dismount from rings, Japanese gymnast's dismount from the PBs, etc., etc., etc. It was surreal. Because apparently watching actual spectacular gymnastics is not as interesting to the American audience as watching Michael Phelps sitting in his hoodie with his head down and the earphones on.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@Quilt Fairy I have always wanted swimming and gymnastics to be offset from each other so they don't have to compete for coverage. 

I swear in 96, and 2000....maybe 2004 they were? or it wasn't as bad. (but then to be fair, Phelps didn't eat the Olympics in 2000, so it was easier to remember appreciating both). 

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I swear in 96, and 2000....maybe 2004 they were? or it wasn't as bad. (but then to be fair, Phelps didn't eat the Olympics in 2000, so it was easier to remember appreciating both). 

Did NBC have the broadcast rights then? Because for decades it was ABC, and even CBS snuck in for a while, IIRC.

Just now, Quilt Fairy said:

Did NBC have the broadcast rights then? Because for decades it was ABC, and even CBS snuck in for a while, IIRC.

NBC had 96, and 2000. (nod). 

4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

There are NO exemptions to the hand over heart protocol!  Either you are an American or you are not.  If you can't show respect to the flag for 90 seconds, maybe you should live somewhere else.

What if you don't have hands? Or arms?

I'm only being partially-facetious. There are other flag rules in the same statute that aren't always followed 100%. e.g. how the flag should be hung, where people should stand in relationship to the flag, how the flag should be displayed behind a podium, etc. What about American flags on our butts? Or on bikinis?

I am an American, and I respect the flag and what it represents. But if we say that a person who doesn't honor the rules isn't an American, then a lot of people's citizenship would be in jeopardy. 

• Love 24
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

There was some attention paid to Phelps, since 2004 was his first try at 8 golds, but when he lost that shot, they dialed back on him a bit. It wasn't nearly as bad as Beijing, when it was Michael 24/7.

I know Americans are supposed to put the hand over the heart, but nbd if she doesn't unless she's doing it to be disrespectful, which i completely doubt.  Idk why Gabby is the poster child for social media slams.  She's barely an adult, cut her some slack, dang it. lol

I was very ambivalent towards Aly until this Olympics. I actually like her a lot this go round, and I am totally pulling for her to be an upset in the AA. (#teamdrama ) Her parents don't bug me at all because I'm basically the same way watching my kids play little league. Olympics would have me on the floor in convulsions. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

IIRC in Athens most of the swimming took place during the day, at least the heats and semifinals did then the finals would air in primetime.  They would either knock them out at the beginning of the broadcast (since they were all time delayed or they did or two finals, a few rotations of gymnastics then the rest.  Swimming used to be interrupted for gymnastics, not the other around like these games.

Also in 2004 both American gymnastic teams medalled so they got extra coverage.  The women's side was a free-for-all between US/Romania/Russia/China and men were hyping Paul Hamm led US vs. Yang Wei led China, then Japan won so NBC had to show their routines for context.

In conclusion, yes, gymnastics used to take precedent in primetime.

• Love 1
Just now, topanga said:

I am an American, and I respect the flag and what it represents. But if we say that a person who doesn't honor the rules isn't an American, then a lot of people's citizenship would be in jeopardy. 

Including the president (who said he was taught to do the hand over heart thing for the pledge and to sing for the anthem). That was a number of years ago, not sure what he does now. I certainly can't fathom anyone thinking someone who doesn't do it isn't American. I am also American and respect the flag and it's not a requirement.

• Love 16
Just now, walnutqueen said:

Protocol is not law, and has nothing to do with being an American.  Fortunately, Americans live in a free country where they have the right to disagree with your sentiments and still be Americans (and still live here - maybe even next door!).   :-)

If hand to heart during the anthem was the yardstick, most of the country would be deported to Canada!  ;-)

We have cookies. 

• Love 6

That Cuba guy got a 14.00 (and the woman commentator said it like 14 point zero?) like. the hell? and Kyle is like well yah he lost 2 points and it was worth 16...

that seems so high. he took several steps backward and fell on his ass. 

4 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Stock up, there might be a big influx in November! ;-)

Sigh so true.  It Voldemort takes office can Canada just absorb the state of Washington?

Kohei's score seems like of low.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

It's been a long while since I left, but wouldn't that be : "We have milk, cookies and decent beer, eh"?  :-D

(giggles) well, we don't want our new American friends totally roasted ;) i figure sneak attack. 

• Love 1

Grew up in the south in the 70's and 80's.  Said the pledge and sang the star spangled banner every day in elementary school.  We were specifically taught not to put your hand over your heart during the anthem.  I only knew it was a thing when they used it to question Barack Obama's patriotism.  IMO, it is the result of petty people with petty issues to feel superior over.

• Love 23

I miss the old days when there was a thing called "benefit of the doubt".

Maybe Gabby was never taught to do that, maybe she was overwhelmed by the moment, maybe she was holding the do-hickey they've been handing them and thought it would be awkward.  Unless she was not doing it as some kind of premeditated show of disrespect, or protest, then it's just an honest mistake IMO.

• Love 17