Type keyword(s) to search

Pool and Open Water Swimming: Do Not Swallow the Water

3 minutes ago, photo fox said:

Not a swimmer or a swimming expert, obviously.  But the breaststroke seems so ridiculous.  It just looks so exhausting, heaving themselves up out of the water like that.

I always imagine it was invented by someone who kept losing with the other three strokes, and so came up with something they could win. 

Breaststroke as I learned it eons ago (YMCA lessons c. 1960) was much different, and less strenuous, with none of the thrashing up and down -- you spread your arms sideways to propel yourself, but your head didn't move around that much. I don't know when it was redefined; maybe it was a gradual development.

Butterfly was just coming in around that time as a new invention. Our "fourth stroke" was side stroke, which I doubt was ever a competitive element; it was mainly a laid-back way of surviving in the water.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Breaststroke as I learned it eons ago (YMCA lessons c. 1960) was much different, and less strenuous, with none of the thrashing up and down -- you spread your arms sideways to propel yourself, but your head didn't move around that much. I don't know when it was redefined; maybe it was a gradual development.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right.  I took swimming lessons years ago and I remember seeing the breaststroke (not that I did it) and I don't remember the head bobbing up and down and the arm movements like it's done now.  Lessons were hard for me because I would sink like a stone and had a hard time staying afloat. 

• Love 2

I was explaining to my sons that when I was their age and on a swim team, you took two strokes per breath in breaststroke and your head couldn't go completely under water.  Just another reminder to them that I am old.

• Love 3

Ah, the streaming commentators stole my research (i.e., Wikipedia): This is Kazakhstan's very first medal in swimming. (Of course, the first time they particpated in the Olympics as an independent nation was in 1994.)

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Wow, I'm gonna get to hear the Kazakhstan national anthem!

I liked it- it was very jaunty. And for those of you who have been following the "controversy" (eyeroll) about Gaby Douglas not putting her hand over heart when the US anthem played yesterday, I noticed that Balandin put his hand over his heart halfway through the song. I thought it was just an American thing!

• Love 2

When I was growing up and the family went to the pool, my mom swam breaststroke.  Or as we called it, "the frog".  Because it looks like how a frog swims.  She never put her head in the water.  My wife swims the same way.  Come to think of it, I see a number of middle-aged/mature women at my gym swimming "the frog".

So whenever I see breaststroke at the Olympics, I always call it the "fast frog".

I would agree that sidestroke isn't really a stroke... it's a way to keep afloat and propel yourself in the water. I was taught it as a kid and always found it funny.  "Reach out, pick some fruit, bring it into your basket, pick some more..."

• Love 1

So did I! (And not all of us -- I've never done it, we were taught that hand-on-heart was only for reciting the pledge.) I wonder if it's really Kazakh custom, or he just had seen Americans do it at competitions, and figured it was the thing to do. Their anthem is a nice stirring march, if maybe just a touch long. (I like my anthems concise. ☺ )

I can report that it's called "My Kazakhstan" and was adopted as recently as 2006, based on a song of the same name written in 1956.

Edited by Rinaldo
6 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I liked it- it was very jaunty. And for those of you who have been following the "controversy" (eyeroll) about Gaby Douglas not putting her hand over heart when the US anthem played yesterday, I noticed that Balandin put his hand over his heart halfway through the song. I thought it was just an American thing!

A lot of countries do it. I have the Brazil/Denmark soccer match on my big TV, and they play the anthems of the countries before the game. I didn't catch Denmark's, but the Brazilian team all had hands over heart. 

Ooooh! My Olympic Boyfriend is up! 

A Dutch swimmer in an individual final? I don't know how to deal with this!!(seriously, so much suck this Olympics, I don't think anyone has broken any pr's which is the least thing to ask for)

Edited by galaxygirl76

Rats, Ryan qualified in the second slot for the final. No comforting needed this night. :(

But yay for the Live Feed. No Phelpsian obsession, no Debbie or Boomer. Other that cutting to Matthew McConeghey, who has been all over the Games, it was all about the RACE!  

• Love 4

I think it's just an optical illusion because of the hair.

Rooting for Lochte tomorrow night, possibly more than I've ever rooted for anyone, ever. 

But, you know, I'll also offer to comfort him. lol

• Love 2

Ha!  It's funny how Ryan is the second oldest on the team but yet is still pulling the majority of the women.  I think Nathan's a cutie, too, but none of these young boys are doing a thing for me. Lol

• Love 4
1 minute ago, tanyak said:

Ha!  It's funny how Ryan is the second oldest on the team but yet is still pulling the majority of the women.  I think Nathan's a cutie, too, but none of these young boys are doing a thing for me. Lol

I'm 28 so it's not surprising the 27 year old and 32 year old are most attractive to me. These young guys look so young!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, tanyak said:

I'm old. Even Old Man Lochte is cradle-robbing for me. :D

• Love 4

Age need not be a deterrent in fantasy boyfriends.

Nice, Daisy!

Anybody anchoring a relay opposite Katie Ledecky must just have developed a fatalistic attitude about it.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3
Just now, Rinaldo said:

Age need not be a deterrent in fantasy boyfriends.

Nice, Daisy!

I know (this is what i have to tell myself when you crush on male gymnasts and realise they are 18.. facepalm) :)

• Love 5
1 minute ago, tanyak said:

Well, I'm 41, and frankly too old for everybody. Lol I just don't think any of the new generation is cute. I might be old, but I still have eyes!

As an alumna of Cal Berkeley, I have a lot of Olympic Boyfriends to root for, but Nathan is my #1. 

Lochte is my wild card. I'd rather go out drinking with him. He may be dumb, but I bet he's a riot after he's had a few. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lovecat said:

When Phelps' swim cap blew out all I could say was, "I wonder if that's how he wound up with a baby."

Kind of funny that his cap was his own "MP" brand.  Not great advertising there Michael.

• Love 4

Awwww....good for Maya DiRado. She's leaving Rio with a full compliment of medals. Not a bad haul for her one-and-done Olympics. 

eta: They cut off the Live Feed before the Anthem, so I can't comment on hand placement in this medal ceremony. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

And Canada wins our medal a day. Phew. I was scared for a moment. 

I think they took my "one per day" maxim too seriously. I like it, though. I really enjoyed the relay bronze, although I can't believe it's been 30 minutes since the race ended and CBC still has not aired an interview of the team. I always prefer the raw emotion of the immediate reaction interviews over the sickeningly sweet Ron MacLean day after interviews.

I still stand by what I said on the old TWoP Ryan Lochte reality show forum. The boy is cuter than hell, would be fun, but dumb as all get out. He was like a puppy on that show. You wanted to love on him and get puppy kisses, but who wants to be responsible for what the puppy will do to your house while you are busy adulting and you have to come home and clean up the mess? Plus, when you have to yell at the puppy for being dumb, then you feel bad. 

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, Daisy said:

And Canada wins our medal a day. Phew. I was scared for a moment. 

They were so cute on the medal stand; they looked thrilled. I know the girl who anchored (whose name I will not attempt to spell) is only 16, but the rest of them looked just as young. 

Congrats Canucks! 

I know it's technically winter in Rio, but I saw the swim teams come into the stadiums, the Chinese and Japaneses were wearing heavy coats. The Aussies were wearing a warm up jacket, comparable to what most people in Oklahoma wear most of the winter except for those few horrible days. The Americans wore what looked like rain gear with maybe a lining. I thought it was pretty mild in Rio, but then again earlier during the beach volleyball, Kerri and April were wearing long pants instead of their bikinis.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Awwww....good for Maya DiRado. She's leaving Rio with a full compliment of medals. Not a bad haul for her one-and-done Olympics. 

eta: They cut off the Live Feed before the Anthem, so I can't comment on hand placement in this medal ceremony. 

Slightly unexpected to see her on the finals squad because she didn't swim the 200 at Olympic Trials. But she'd put up a decent time in the event at a grand prix meet earlier in the season and the non-Allisons were only 1:57 in the prelims. Turns out to be a good call by the US coaching staff- 1:56.3 for her leg.

8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They were so cute on the medal stand; they looked thrilled. I know the girl who anchored (whose name I will not attempt to spell) is only 16, but the rest of them looked just as young. 

Congrats Canucks! 

no one is LOL we're all just calling her Penny. We are totally and utterly in love with her as a country right now. We were told that she was using Rio as a get her feet wet, get experience, she could get a medal but Tokyo is her party. She is smashing expectations, and she's so frank about it, like. "i knew i could do this." LOL. the scary thing is - she has incredibly closing speed. like 4x100 - she ALMOST caught USA. in her silver race - she ALMOST (like 100ths of seconds) caught the gold medalist. tonight. same thing. once she gets some more muscle, and experience.... look out world

;) Canada can swim! Honestly, it's so great to watch swimming, and seeing my country actually have a chance. 

• Love 4

I checked the temperature during the Walsh-Jennings/Ross vs. Swiss match, which was around 9-10 Rio time. It was only in the low/mid 60's (I got two temperatures, 64 and 66). It's only going to be in the low 70's for the next three or so days. 

But the pool is indoor. I have no idea why some delegations pass out those huge coats and others (notably the Aussies and GB) do not. They're absolutely ridiculous and hilarious. I love how Adrian rocked his when he strutted out to the pooldeck tonight. Even the Live Feed commentators had a good laugh. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

I think they took my "one per day" maxim too seriously. I like it, though. I really enjoyed the relay bronze, although I can't believe it's been 30 minutes since the race ended and CBC still has not aired an interview of the team. I always prefer the raw emotion of the immediate reaction interviews over the sickeningly sweet Ron MacLean day after interviews.

LOL - this is actually the first time we took a medal a day in Olympics history. And remember we pick up speed starting Saturday. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sab85 said:

"Nathan,  what happened with this swim?" [Mind you,  he had just won a bronze medal]

"Well I didn't have the fastest time in the pool"

Love it.  I wish all the athletes would answer stupid questions thusly. 

IKR?  So refreshing.  Plus his "Of course I want to win, we all want to win.  That's why we're here!"  Nice to hear a real answer instead of the rehearsed crap we usually get.

• Love 10