Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I think that only happened once. It was season 8 I believe and someone said in another thread that Teri Lynn was one of the girls who had to share. Same season as Morgan and Kaitlyn Larae. They lost a few vets the next year and the squad was smaller.

Edited by Oranaiche

Just saw this on Facebook.  I thought it was a wonderful performance--had me in tears. the interpretation of the song with the cheer was really great.  

It is getting mixed reviews.  Anyway--thoughts on this?

I didn't find it offensive but it wasn't great either. It just seemed weird because that song does not lend itself to a cheer routine.

In the squad's defense, I know that when I was on the high school dance team, the ASB would pick a theme for pep rallies (or something related to the pep rally - one year the theme of the first school dance was "Welcome to the Jungle" so the accompanying pep rally at lunch was jungle themed) and we just had to come up with something that kind of fit. My guess is that the school decided to do a 9/11 tribute and the squad thought it would be better to do something like this routine than to do a more typical song.

I, too, was impressed with the bigger boned girl who was a great tumbler. My sister was a gymnast so I saw all kinds of body types at her meets as well as at our dance concerts. People assume that if you aren't 95 pounds, you will be an awkward/clunky/bad dancer/gymnast but I knew several girls who were larger or had atypical body types and were really talented.

But my two main thoughts when I watched this video were: (1) why is the girl with the best liberty all the way over on the side? and (2) damn, some of these girls weren't even born when 9/11 happened.

• Love 1

I feel like we need a frequently asked questions thread that we can direct people to, lol. I just keep seeing the same questions that get asked over and over again. (Not referring to anything in this specific thread, just posting this here since it seems like the most appropriate place.)

I agree. I couldn't figure out how to limit my search to limit the results. When I searched any key words practically every thread came up, so I threw my hands up in the air and asked.

I've been wondering about a few things

First, will Kelli or Judy excuse themselves from judging if/when Kelli's daughter Sam, Tina Kalina's daughter Victoria, and Shelly Bramhall's daughter Dayton audition for the DCC? None of them seemed to care when Cami auditioned, but other than being a legacy, I don't think she was connected to the organization. But Shelly works for the DCC and there's an obvious bias for Tina's kid. Victoria is a sophomore in high school, so it will be a couple of years for her, but Sam and Dayton will be eligible to audition in the spring. Although something tells me Sam doesn't really want to be a DCC. And I can't really see her in uniform. She looks very young. It seems like it would be difficult to glam her up.

The DCC were pretty hot stuff in the 90s. It seems like a lot of squad members from those years would have daughters coming of age right about now.

Second, do the veterans ever get fitted for new uniforms? It seems like it would be difficult to keep that one outfit bright white and new-looking for 3, 4, or 5 years of wear and perspiration, especially for someone in show group. I can't keep anything white stain-free for even a day, so I wonder how they keep the shorts and vest clean in general. Do they have to hand wash and steam them at home? Those uniforms are too valuable to drop off at any old dry cleaner, so I can't see that being allowed. Are those outfits made of some fancy material that repels stains? Although, upon further consideration, those shorts are so short no part of them touches the ground during jump splits and when they sit, maybe only their cheeks touch the chair. (ew.)

Third, does anyone have stats on how the team has grown and shrunk over the years? I know 36 is the magic number, but how many years has it actually been exactly 36?

And fourth, do the veterans have to attend all of those Monday through Friday rehearsals? That must be so boring for them, rehearsing and rehearsing dances they've already done a million times. I thought that the veterans at least should be able to have a regular 9 to 5 job, since they don't need all of those extra rehearsals and sessions during the day, but I wonder if they have to make themselves available all the time to assist struggling rookie candidates. I bet it's a big no-no to say you're busy if one of the new girls asks for help.

I ask Miss Kitty about Show Group performing in the USO Christmas shows for the troops in other countries and states. This is her response:  not so much anymore. Found reward n teaching dance camps on diff bases 4 their children & of course autographs 4 all!

Hey super fans :) So does anyone have the white Lucchese boots? I see them on eBay from time to time and they are for sale on the Cowboys website. They also have the blue/white/silver poms. Where do you think the silver training camp poms come from, are they plain old Chasse poms that you can get from cheer/dance supply sites?

...I secretly want the silver poms ;)

do the veterans ever get fitted for new uniforms? It seems like it would be difficult to keep that one outfit bright white and new-looking for 3, 4, or 5 years of wear and perspiration, especially for someone in show group. I can't keep anything white stain-free for even a day, so I wonder how they keep the shorts and vest clean in general. Do they have to hand wash and steam them at home? Those uniforms are too valuable to drop off at any old dry cleaner, so I can't see that being allowed. Are those outfits made of some fancy material that repels stains? Although, upon further consideration, those shorts are so short no part of them touches the ground during jump splits and when they sit, maybe only their cheeks touch the chair. (ew.)

My understanding is that everyone is fitted for uniforms every year. I remember one season, Kelli mentioned something about one of the vets not fitting her uniform the same anymore. Having the vets refitted is a built in check to see if they have gained/lost any weight during the off season.

I thought someone on the team had mentioned ages ago that they aren't allowed to bring their uniforms home, which is why they all have to show up at the stadium hours before each game to get ready. The alleged reason for keeping the uniforms at the stadium (as opposed to letting the girls take them home) is so that they won't forget anything, lose anything, etc. but after watching the DCC made for tv movie a million years ago, I think it's also to make sure that IF any of the girls somehow decided to take questionable pictures, it won't be while wearing any part of their uniform.

I assume that Kelli and Judy have a trusted source to clean and maintain the uniforms. They probably do spot cleaning in house and have a dry cleaner who does the regular cleanings.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
This is her response:  not so much anymore. Found reward n teaching dance camps on diff bases 4 their children & of course autographs 4 all!

I don't buy that for one second. They've been bragging for DECADES about how many tours they've done. More than anyone including Bob Hope. In the past, they've done camps and autograph sessions in addition to the show group performance. And we also know how entrenched this organization is in their traditions.So the idea that they just decided "you know what? let's not do the show anymore" doesn't hold water. My guess is that the military tightened up security and/or applied restrictions that made it difficult to take the show on the road. Perhaps they reduced the amount of people or equipment they could bring. Maybe they decided that a big group of cheerleaders was too much of a high profile target. Maybe it's political correctness. With more and more women in the military it does seem like an anachronism to bring in a bunch of scantily clad 20 year olds to shake their thangs for a bunch of howling, hooting, salivating men. Maybe the USO wants to take their entertainment in a more family oriented direction. I'd believe almost anything over the DCC simply deciding they didn't want to do it anymore.

• Love 2

My understanding is that everyone is fitted for uniforms every year. I remember one season, Kelli mentioned something about one of the vets not fitting her uniform the same anymore. Having the vets refitted is a built in check to see if they have gained/lost any weight during the off season.

I thought someone on the team had mentioned ages ago that they aren't allowed to bring their uniforms home, which is why they all have to show up at the stadium hours before each game to get ready. The alleged reason for keeping the uniforms at the stadium (as opposed to letting the girls take them home) is so that they won't forget anything, lose anything, etc. but after watching the DCC made for tv movie a million years ago, I think it's also to make sure that IF any of the girls somehow decided to take questionable pictures, it won't be while wearing any part of their uniform.

I assume that Kelli and Judy have a trusted source to clean and maintain the uniforms. They probably do spot cleaning in house and have a dry cleaner who does the regular cleanings.

They take their uniforms home.

Kitty is just blowing smoke. Ask her why they no longer do a second USO Tour.

Kelli mentioned in Season 6 that one of the vets missed her "uniform size-up" appointment. So, to me, that means they get (or used to get) re-fitted/re-sized..but who knows.

I also remember someone saying they didn't take the uniforms home in an OLDER season, but it's my current understanding that they do take it home. Especially since they have to turn it in during Finals.

So the DCC's USO tour performances are dance camps for the daughters of military men and women?  Isn't/wasn't the basis for USO tours to bring some American entertainment to the military men and women fighting oversees?  I believe what Kitty says I just find it a bit odd.  I don't think you can call that a USO tour, but what do I know?  Do the DCC still refer to their trips as USO tours I wonder?

I'm sure they still meet the troops. The one on one time is great and they probably sign autographs and maybe do photos. It's fantastic if they can bring a piece of home to children living on bases overseas.

I wonder if it had anything to do with Cassie getting injured on a USO tour. Maybe they don't want to risk injury?

I don't care what they do. I'm proud of these girls for giving up Christmas with their friends and families at home to be with troops and their families so far from home. I know Jenna said she saw them in South Korea when she was living on the base there. I'm proud of them for meeting people at bases or wherever they go around the world.

My reply got lost!

If they are going to bases it must be arranged by the USO and it's USO tours. Whatever they do, I'm proud of these girls for giving up Christmas at home and going overseas to show soldiers and their families that America cares about them.

I wonder if they stopped performing after Cassie got injured? Maybe they don't want to risk injury so far from home?

I think their routine is family-friendly. I saw the recorded video of it, and if anything it was slightly boring.

• Love 1

I wonder if they stopped performing after Cassie got injured? Maybe they don't want to risk injury so far from home?

I think their routine is family-friendly. I saw the recorded video of it, and if anything it was slightly boring.

Maybe it was the medical care?  A friend of the family nearly cut his finger off while doing contract work for the gvt overseas (not sure where) and wound up coming back to the US for treatment.

Injuries are my theory about the USO tour too. Brooke also blew her knee out on one, and I have to imagine there have been others over the years. Are the girls covered by the Cowboys? Their own insurance? What if their insurance doesn't have that type of coverage? The whole thing just sounds risky and expensive.

The year Kaitlin LaGrand got cut Kelli said she was the "only one to miss her uniform fitting" so I assume the vets are also fitted each year.

I went to a game in 2011 at the new stadium. The guys I was with made comments on the girls bodies saying how heavy they looked on the big board (specifically Meredith Oden and believe it or not, Kelsi Reich).  Both looked big in the middle.  Then Megan Fox and Elizabeth Anderson (I think that is her last name) were up on the jumbotron.  More comments.  

I think Judy and Kelli are very mindful of this and have to pick pretty faces, in addition to everything else. I don't want to be mean but I think the girls that get cut at the end of training camp, in addition to spotty dancing, aren't pretty enough.

I doubt if it has anything to do with Cassie or injuries. My guess is something to do with girls' availability, or budgets. If the USO or bases themselves are dealing with budgeting issues, pro cheerleader recitals are pretty low on the list. Realistically, we know they're all talented, trained dancers, but when you think of DCC, you want to see quick paced pom routines, not a lot of slow, emo lyrical pieces or drawn out 80s rock reviews. I hate that Drumline routine they did for years, too. It was SOOOO long. A few appearances with sideline routines and camps for kids sounds perfect to me.

The alleged reason for keeping the uniforms at the stadium (as opposed to letting the girls take them home) is so that they won't forget anything, lose anything, etc. but after watching the DCC made for tv movie a million years ago, I think it's also to make sure that IF any of the girls somehow decided to take questionable pictures, it won't be while wearing any part of their uniform.

I remember that movie. I can't recall if the DCCs were allowed or not allowed to take the uniform home. One of the DCC characters, Jessie (Laruen Tewes) had a controlling abusive former boyfriend who had forced her into wearing the it while he took pictures of her in. I think she took it home when she wasn't supposed to.

The NFL started playing games in London in 2007. I don't know when exactly the cheerleaders traveled with the players (it could be from the start) but I know cheerleaders from the chosen team in 2013 were in attendance.

The NFL started playing games in London in 2007. I don't know when exactly the cheerleaders traveled with the players (it could be from the start) but I know cheerleaders from the chosen team in 2013 were in attendance.

Here's a video of Def Leppard performing at an NFL game (Oakland vs. Miami) at Wembley stadium in London last year. The Raiderettes are dancing on the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKk7mEGfXo

Maybe the Dolphins cheerleaders are doing something like this.

Good.  I am of the belief that if you work, you should be paid.  Period. 

What these girls go through is tough.  Physically and emotionally.  The owners can certainly afford it. These girls give up their lives for these teams for however long they are a part of it.

"Fair" can be subjective though. I guess they just felt they weren't getting paid enough. I'm not sure if other cheerleaders know how much other teams' cheerleaders make, but I can see why with that knowledge they would want to be paid the same.

"Fair" in these cases usually means minimum wage and actually being compensated for the hours you work. The article also mentioned that the Raiders cheerleaders were fined for mistakes, and there are very strict labor rules about that, too.

So this season when the squad went on to the field and they were surprised to see 60 Minutes there?  The interview has never aired.  I wonder if she was mistaken and  it was HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.  They had a piece on Jerry Jones air a month ago or so. 

On another note, can we talk about how badly the Cowboys are doing this season?  Yikes.  That was a question, by the way, during the HBO interview.  The interviewer asked/said if Jerry stepped down as General Manager and got a proper manager, the Cowboys might become a winning team.

They should have never let DeMarco Murray walk.  The 2014 season was pretty great.  Sigh.

Edited by caligirl50

While it's nice to have a REALLY good player on the team, they shouldn't NEED that player to win games.  The rest of the team should be able to step up and at least rock the other team back a little.  By saying that you NEED that one player to win games, it seems to me that he's saying the rest of the team just can't hack it without having this super-duper special person to spice things up.  The team needs to be able to hack it without Romo, or at least give a good showing.

I'm a Patriots fan and my fiance got me tickets to the game when they played the Jets 2 Sundays ago (he's a Jets fan). I spent half of the time watching the cheerleaders because I can't help it. They only have about 18 cheerleaders it seems. They had groups of 9 on each side of the field and then at one point during the game they had everyone together on the sideline with 3 girls on one side by themselves. The sideline dances were quite simple and I noticed that one group danced more than the other. They were cute, but I can't help but compare them to the DCC and I've never even seen the DCC live. 

I've been to Jets home games since I live in NYC, but I honestly do not remember the cheerleaders because my seats were so bad. I realized that I've seen Danielle and Jasmine in person at some point though.

My goal is to witness a live Cowboys game one day. I don't care who they're playing or if they win the game, I will be watching the cheerleaders the whole time!

Has anyone read the Deadspin article on Greg Hardy's brutalization of a girlfriend - the reason he was out for 4 games.  It is horrifying. I wonder what Jason Witten thinks of him since as we all know, Jason's mother and brothers were victims and Jason has dedicated himself to help survivors of abuse as well as stopping the cycle.

Edited by caligirl50