Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I will watch almost any show about dancing. DCC, Bring it, that show about the college dance team that was on last year (I've completely forgotten the name of it), Bama State Style, shows about ballet dancers, shows about Irish Step dancing. I just love to watch dance.

I just stumbled across one of the strangest kid dance phenomena I have ever seen. It's about kids' disco dancing competitions in Ireland. The kids train for years, and they have these competitions where they dress up as Lady Gaga meets ballroom, meets Ru Paul's drag race, meets toddlers and tiaras, meets my big fat gypsy wedding. As far as I can tell, it has nothing whatsoever to do with disco. The dancing consists of a huge crowd of kids running counter clockwise around a ballroom floor all at the same time, throwing themselves randomly - and as hard as they can - into all sorts of jumps and turns and acrobatic moves. To my eye it looks like complete chaos. I used to think the stuff Miss Dianna was teaching the kids on Bring It seemed uncontrolled and dangerous. This goes so far beyond that it actually scares me a little. I don't understand how there aren't constant injuries, if only from the kids running into each other at full speed. I sure wish someone else would watch this, because I am at a loss for words.

Somebody is making a hell of a lot of money off these kids' families.

Edited by sleepyjean
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

I'm at a loss for words also.  I think you described it perfectly--"strangest kid dance phenomena" ever seen.

Did you ever see Dance Academy?  Loved that series.

I have to admit, I’ve watched it multiple times. It’s a total guilty pleasure. I was so excited when I found the movie online a while back and streamed it to my tv. I guess it’s finally getting released stateside soon.

10 hours ago, LadyWithCats said:

I have to admit, I’ve watched it multiple times. It’s a total guilty pleasure. I was so excited when I found the movie online a while back and streamed it to my tv. I guess it’s finally getting released stateside soon.

OMG SAMEEEEEEE!!! got sooooo hooked on that show.  can't wait for the movie!!! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I've never heard of Dance Academy. Where can I find it?

Netflix. It’s about a group of Australian teenagers going through a three year dance program with the Sydney ballet. It’s surprisingly good and most of the actors do their own dancing.

ETA it’s fictional, not a reality show.

Edited by LadyWithCats
  • Love 6

I had a weird dream about trying out for the DCCs this morning. I was at finals with my dance outfit and makeup on waiting for the solo routine part to start. I was doing well, and Kelli seemed to think I had a shot of going to TC. All of a sudden my makeup started coming off. Kelli saw what was going on and ask me what type of makeup I was using. I said a friend made it for me. I ran to the phone to call my friend to ask her what the heck was going on. Kelli was trying to help me clean my face and ask the other girls if they had some better makeup I could use. I woke up before finding out what happened with the makeup and did I make it to TC.

Edited by bigskygirl

LOL @bigskygirl.  I had a dream that I did make it, despite never having done a split in my life, and somehow I was Kelli's favorite.  Then I panicked wondering how the hell I was going to make practices and games being that I'm in the Philadelphia area!

• Love 4

Ha ha!!! Must have been the night for dreams. I dreamt last night that I took my kids to the fair and they were all there performing. Only it wasn't just the current squad - Holly L, Jenn, and other retired vets were there telling me I should try out. Which is ridiculous because I'm an overweight 38 yr old that can't dance. 

• Love 3

I've had 3 dreams about being a DCC. The first was that i won a contest of sorts and was allowed on the team, even though I'm not even close to making it. In the next, Kelli and Judy were trying to help me get in a split when I was so far off, and i was scared that they noticed me. In the last Raylee was helping me locate my veteran practice outfit for my 2nd year. I guess I'm going to be at point next! ☺

11 hours ago, GAgirl said:

I've had 3 dreams about being a DCC. The first was that i won a contest of sorts and was allowed on the team, even though I'm not even close to making it. In the next, Kelli and Judy were trying to help me get in a split when I was so far off, and i was scared that they noticed me. In the last Raylee was helping me locate my veteran practice outfit for my 2nd year. I guess I'm going to be at point next! ☺

I had a DCC dream too! It was my first pre-game performance AND we had a halftime performance. I remember being super anxious in the tunnel because I remembered that I NEVER had done a jump split and I knew I HAD to lol

• Love 3
On 3/13/2018 at 11:28 AM, bigskygirl said:

I had a weird dream about trying out for the DCCs this morning. I was at finals with my dance outfit and makeup on waiting for the solo routine part to start. I was doing well, and Kelli seemed to think I had a shot of going to TC. All of a sudden my makeup started coming off. Kelli saw what was going on and ask me what type of makeup I was using. I said a friend made it for me. I ran to the phone to call my friend to ask her what the heck was going on. Kelli was trying to help me clean my face and ask the other girls if they had some better makeup I could use. I woke up before finding out what happened with the makeup and did I make it to TC.

“If she makes it to Training Camp, it’s a gift!”-Dream Kelli

”I didn’t like her kick technique. It was all wrong and I just don’t think she can do it.”-Dream Judy

”BUT SHE’S HOT DOE”-Dream Neal

”We can always redo her makeup and make her more..unmelty”—Dream makeover sassy salon owner 

Edited by Cappuccinagina
Spelling names correctly tyvm
  • Love 5

I had another DCC related dream. I was at a DCC meeting, and some of the girls were getting honored. Kelsey was getting an award, and I was so happy for her. I got up and gave her a big hug, and she hugged me back. I was hoping to see Jinelle, but I did not see her at the meeting. Kelli, Judy and Miss Kitty were also in my dream, but I did not talk to them.

Edited by bigskygirl

As an international grad, who matched in her first choice of residency and literally landed her dream attending job this month (and will be on the medical staff of one the best hospitals in the country) - it's not as cut and dry as those numbers imply. There are two different categories - US grads that go to foreign schools (mexico, ireland, caribbean etc) and actual foreign graduates who have trained in their country and now trying to do a residency here. The latter group is the one that has a very low match rate. Yes, US IMGs also have a lower match rate than US grads, but it's not that drastic, and yes, we have a harder time matching in more competitive specialties. But if you bust your ass in Med School, you can get a great residency, and bust your ass there, you can get where you've always wanted to be. The journey isn't easy and even given her missteps of labeling herself a nurse etc, I applaud her. She's got a tough road ahead, I know, I've literally gone through it.  

This came from the Former DCC thread in discussing Cersten & I'm about to get really off topic.  I have to say I've rarely heard good outcomes from students who have gone to Mexico.  I'm curious if anyone knows whether the statistics are any better for American students going to school in Europe (I imagine they would be, but could be way off).  This isn't a med school example, but my sister's neighbor's son went to veterinarian school in Scotland, and he had no issues getting a US residency (is it still called a residency for vets?  or an internship?).

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ByTor said:

This came from the Former DCC thread in discussing Cersten & I'm about to get really off topic.  I have to say I've rarely heard good outcomes from students who have gone to Mexico.  I'm curious if anyone knows whether the statistics are any better for American students going to school in Europe (I imagine they would be, but could be way off).  This isn't a med school example, but my sister's neighbor's son went to veterinarian school in Scotland, and he had no issues getting a US residency (is it still called a residency for vets?  or an internship?).

You really can’t compare vet school placement with medical school residency. Not the same field, not the same process, not the same amount of spots for school or residency, not the same business models, etcs. 

I’ve worked in physician recruiting, and resident applicants from the Caribbean, India, Philippines,  etc get a lot better luck with placement when they’re willing to go to underserved, rural areas who can’t attract doctors. My medical center is in a small city 3-4 hours from any middle sized city, and we have a lot of small rural primary care centers. We probably have close to 50% of staff as foreign grads, because unless you’re from here, you probably don’t want to move here. Our docs all went to legit schools and complete legit residencies, but many come from outside the US post residency. 

My gut reaction to Cersten - who I really enjoy watching dance - is that she’s more interested in being called “Dr. Bradley” than she is in medicine. While I am glad this is more important t to her than being a pro dancer for a year or two, I have to think she applied to this one school this year, because it was a sure shot, and she didn’t want the rejection from anywhere else. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

You really can’t compare vet school placement with medical school residency. Not the same field, not the same process, not the same amount of spots for school or residency, not the same business models, etcs. 

Yeah, I had a feeling they weren't really comparable but though I'd mention it just in case. 

As an aside (apropos to nothing LOL) , I'm pretty sure that vet school is a lot more competitive than med school, in that there are much fewer vet schools in the US than medical schools. 

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

My gut reaction to Cersten - who I really enjoy watching dance - is that she’s more interested in being called “Dr. Bradley” than she is in medicine. While I am glad this is more important t to her than being a pro dancer for a year or two, I have to think she applied to this one school this year, because it was a sure shot, and she didn’t want the rejection from anywhere else. 

I totally agree with you here.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Yeah, I had a feeling they weren't really comparable but though I'd mention it just in case. 

As an aside (apropos to nothing LOL) , I'm pretty sure that vet school is a lot more competitive than med school, in that there are much fewer vet schools in the US than medical schools. 

In the UK entry to vet school is very competitive - there are only 8 schools total who offer it. 

42 minutes ago, Liverbird said:

In the UK entry to vet school is very competitive - there are only 8 schools total who offer it. 

Yeah, here too. I think that there are only 30 or 31 in the whole United States.

1 hour ago, Runnergrl37 said:

international med school is also WAY cheaper than US schools.  I know a dr  who moved his family to the dominican republic to go to school because it was half the cost of a school here. 

this is not true at all. and that being said, it's much harder to get loans to help offload as well. 

12 minutes ago, patsinsyr said:

this is not true at all. and that being said, it's much harder to get loans to help offload as well. 

the one he went to was which was the reason he went.

It's also easier to get into international which of course everyone knows.  I think it's great Cersten is doing what she said out to do.  mexico or wherever, she is pursing her goal.

• Love 1

I can't speak for all international schools, so of course I can't make any assumptions about the Dominican Republic, but I have heard that the ones in Mexico are a lot more expensive than the US.

I just did a quick google search and found an article that said Mexican medical schools are cheap... I have no idea what’s right or wrong, but there’s always the possibility that there is not one set answer and the cost of international schools varies just as much as schools in the United States for a multitude of reasons (in-state v out-of-state, cost of living outside of tuition, likelihood of getting a scholarship, etc). 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I just did a quick google search and found an article that said Mexican medical schools are cheap... I have no idea what’s right or wrong, but there’s always the possibility that there is not one set answer and the cost of international schools varies just as much as schools in the United States

That's a good point, what I heard may have just been about one Mexican school.

I’m willing to bet that no matter what happens with Cersten in medical school, she will get “matched” with the DCC-friendly plastic surgeon. And that will be her career - molding future DCC hopefuls into perfect-looking human beings as the coveted Dr. Bradley.

• Love 3

Hmmm @123DCCWoooo, I have no idea why that never occurred to me!  With her track record, though, she'll call herself a "doctor" no matter what happens.  No, I'm not really a doctor, but I'm calling myself one, it was the job I was hired to do!

• Love 4
On 4/4/2017 at 9:28 AM, bigskygirl said:

Looks like Tony Romo is retiring and is looking into doing broadcasting work. He could stay with the Cowboys and work with their broadcasting team. I would love to see his wife being a judge again.

I loved her as a judge!  She was one of my favorite judges - other than Christi (sp?)

• Love 6
On 4/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, Runnergrl37 said:

international med school is also WAY cheaper than US schools.  I know a dr  who moved his family to the dominican republic to go to school because it was half the cost of a school here. 

I have a friend who went to Med School in the Caribbean (it was one of those island areas lol) and he had a hard time getting residency placement once he came back to the states, however.  He went there because they were a lot cheaper than US med schools.  

On 5/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, Opine said:

I loved her as a judge!  She was one of my favorite judges - other than Christi (sp?)

Same here....I loved her as a judge! 

• Love 1

I’m 17 now, graduation is in a week, but I’ve been thinking of auditioning for DCC. The only problem is that I have no dance or cheer experience and I don’t want to end up being one of those girls the show makes fun of ☹️ 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ellekotonyok said:

I’m 17 now, graduation is in a week, but I’ve been thinking of auditioning for DCC. The only problem is that I have no dance or cheer experience and I don’t want to end up being one of those girls the show makes fun of ☹️ 

Then you gotta prepare. You need to get dance experience. Start taking classes of ALL dance genres to get the technique and performance quality. It won’t be easy. Many dancers at the DCC level have trained since they were kids. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you gotta put 16 years of work in a year. If you have that passion, time and $$ for classes and training, and take fitness seriously, you won’t be made fun of. Don’t be discouraged either—you hear us whining about the most technically sound people being cut from DCC tryouts or camp for reasons beyond dance. It’s hard to put yourself out there and try out for a pro dance team. It certainly won’t be easy but I wish you good luck!?

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ellekotonyok said:

I think you ought to prepare and go for it. Nowadays it seems like they want girls with a catalog of experience, but look at Kelsey..she had none and worked on it and made it. I don't think it's mandatory that you do, but if you want it, go for it!

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

I think you ought to prepare and go for it. Nowadays it seems like they want girls with a catalog of experience, but look at Kelsey..she had none and worked on it and made it. I don't think it's mandatory that you do, but if you want it, go for it!

I completely agree with what LadyMsJay said...train your booty off and go for it... that way you can't say you didn't try!! Good luck :)  

• Love 1
(edited)

Look at it this way @ellekotonyok...the people who really matter *cough* us *cough* will be rooting for you!!!

ETA I just remembered, haven't you done pageants?  The poise you gain from that should help a lot.  IMO attitude/poise/confidence matters as much as talent.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4

Awww! Don’t worry about that - just go for the experience and have fun with it! You can easily look the part, and if you’re awkward in your dancing, you’re just awkward in your dancing. The camera doesn’t show a ton of people too. 

You’ve got the next year to take some classes and see if you’d even enjoy the experience. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

Then you gotta prepare. You need to get dance experience. Start taking classes of ALL dance genres to get the technique and performance quality. It won’t be easy. Many dancers at the DCC level have trained since they were kids. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you gotta put 16 years of work in a year. If you have that passion, time and $$ for classes and training, and take fitness seriously, you won’t be made fun of. Don’t be discouraged either—you hear us whining about the most technically sound people being cut from DCC tryouts or camp for reasons beyond dance. It’s hard to put yourself out there and try out for a pro dance team. It certainly won’t be easy but I wish you good luck!?

If she has no experience I'd suggest, in addition to what you've written, aiming first for a year or two on a team like stars or legends where the dance requirements aren't as intense and she can get experience and polish. Or, if she is going to college, try out for that team. The experience of auditioning for one of those teams will make it very clear where she stands in relation to her goals and the competition.

Not to be a downer, but i am a pragmatist. Nobody makes the DCC with no experience. The days when that was possible are long gone. Now everyone has years in studio or on other teams. You can't roll with the big dogs right out of the gate.

(I'm assuming she's saying she actually wants to give this a real try and not just doing it for the experience.)

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

If she has no experience I'd suggest, in addition to what you've written, aiming first for a year or two on a team like stars or legends where the dance requirements aren't as intense and she can get experience and polish. Or, if she is going to college, try out for that team. The experience of auditioning for one of those teams will make it very clear where she stands in relation to her goals and the competition.

Not to be a downer, but i am a pragmatist. Nobody makes the DCC with no experience. The days when that was possible are long gone. Now everyone has years in studio or on other teams. You can't roll with the big dogs right out of the gate.

(I'm assuming she's saying she actually wants to give this a real try and not just doing it for the experience.)

I agree. Take classes, start with a recreational team, work your way up to smaller teams before tackling DCC. So many of those girls are already professional dancers. Even the ones who had some dance, gymnastics or cheer experience need a lot of training to transition to DCC style. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Stars definitely has intense dance requirements. They're a pro team...I think they are just a lot nicer than other teams/coaches. You still need experience. The girls on that team that don't dance "as well" are most likely the figure skaters they use.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

What would be the song you would use for a solo if you auditioned for the DCC and got to Finals?  This post is inspired by "Walk the Dinosaur" by Was (Not Was) from 1987.

Hmm. Kickstart My Heart. And I’d be nasty in a good way like Kalyssa ???

• Love 3