Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Welcome to Your New Home

Hope they escape QUICKLY, I'm not a fan of prison dramas.  I didn't get the point of the clone(?) shooting One at the end, as I assumed he would take his place.  I assume he is in cahoots with the old guy CEO. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Dark Matter is the new black.   I know bad joke but still I am going to enjoy the new focus of the show having the crew off the ship and at least for the time being separated.   

Zoie Palmer didn't have much to do but she did a lot with the little she had.  Her scenes were awesome. 

Well that ended unexpectedly for One didn't it?  It will be intriguing if he really is dead and the guy he was impersonating now gets to play a bigger roll in the story.   That being said,  the One storyline had potential so I am not sure if he is really dead or not.  I mean really, not suspicious at all that the guy he wanted to talk to ended up getting dead the minute he wanted to talk to him.  No not the least bit suspicious.

Not sure what to make of Six and his storyline.   Is he being manipulated or is/was he exactly what he/was appeared to be.  Both work for me.  A guy who worked for a bad system who can't anymore because the mind wipe really took or something like that. 

All in all I think I am going to like this season.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 11
(edited)

So happy to have this show back!

Glad we found out right away why Six sold out the rest of the Raza crew. I do wonder if he is being manipulated by his GA bosses. Loved all the Five-Six scenes.

Of course Three would try the self-injury-for-special-privileges tactic.

Liked the new characters, Nyx and Arix, too.

Very curious to see how they escape the prison.

Did not see the ending coming.  RIP, One?

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Between Stephanie Leonidas on Killjoys and Trenna Keating as Felicia, One's lawyer, this was the evening of seeing former Defiance folks as humans instead of aliens!  Maybe Tony Curran or Jaime Murray will show up on the network again soon!

Interesting that, for now at least, they've kind of separated everyone, with Three, Four, and Two in a space prison and trying to break-out (don't see it being a Guardians of the Galaxy style break-out, unless they have a talking raccoon hidden in their pocket), Six finding out what is really going on with is past, Android with some hacker, Five mainly interacting with Six, and One is.... dead?  Unless he can somehow survive a gunshot wound through the head, but I'm kind of hoping it's true.  Would be a good game-changer, plus while still not my favorite of the cast, Marc Bendavid seems to be a little more comfortable playing a more openly bad guy, then a goody-two shoes, "nice" guy.

I'm guessing that both the leader of this prison gang that talked to Four and the prisoner Two bonded with (after they kicked each others' asses, of course), will end up being big factors going forward.

Franka Potente!  I'm sure she's up to no good!

I thought they seemed to step up the fight scenes in this one compared to last season.  Looked better and it looked like the actors did a lot of them themselves.

Three continues to crack me up.  Can't believe I despised him in the pilot.

Certainly not against any episode that finds a way to get Two into her underwear.  Melissa O'Neil is gorgeous.

• Love 6

As someone who enjoys choreographed fight scenes, I'm very pleased that they spent the time on learning the routines this season. Last year was awful, especially Two. 

One is my least favorite of the group, and I wouldn't miss him if he is dead, but I don't think he will be. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So, this was my take/wish for S2 coming into tonight's episode & new season [imported over from the 'S2 Anticipation' thread]...

After binge-watching the first season, the only thing I would ask of S2 - in terms of individual characters - is that I hope that One's backstory gets an interesting reveal or twist, or just about anything else, happens that changes his overall attitude and demeanor, because that whole unshakable 'moral samaritan' thing is very boring and started being lame before half of the first season was done.

.... so uh, yeah.  Nothing says 'personality transplant' like a bullet through the brain.  Eek!  I can't help but wonder if it isn't all a big fake-out.  I know it should be hard to fake an execution-style killing like that, but are you telling me that they are going to just drop the Derrick Moss plot line(s) just like that - especially after the new information and suspicions about the lone guard (with the only testimony) being killed conveniently when asked for?  Seems like a lot of unnecessary time and work put in to just drop it totally after bringing it to the audience's attention.  If DM!One really is dead, does the real Jace Corso join the Raza crew after they escape?  Kinda has to, with the actor being a main character, and I will welcome him.  DM!One is/was a little too 'choir boy' for me.                                                                                                                                                                                      - - - ETA:  After thinking some more, I was going to posit that maybe the real Corso is working for the current CEO and was sent to 'off' DM!One... but if Real!Corso is working for the CEO, and killed DM's wife+kids+guard/testimony, then why did DM get all the cosmetic work done to look (& sound) like Jace Corso!?  Call me crazy, but I'm sensing a "huge" plot twist/reveal coming down the pipe in terms of the whole One/Derrick Moss situation - [which, coincidentally, is what I was hoping for before the start of this new season].

While I appreciate the change in scenery and adding in all the new character subplots, I hope the time spent on Hyperion-8 is limited to no more than half the season (hopefully more like just a third at most).  If there's anything I like least on a show centered around a space-faring crew & their spaceship, its seeing them 'land-locked' for ridiculously long stretches of time.  Also not a huge fan of the prison motif.

Good to see Six disillusioned so quickly toward his employers.  Will take a lot of work to get back in the Raza's good graces, though - even if helps them escape Hyperion-8. 

Wonder if the new 'boss lady' is targeting Five/Emily for a specific reason, or just hoping to use her age as a vulnerability to get what she wants. 

I could watch Two & Nyx fight together, or each other, any time they feel like it;  yes, its probably a perverse reaction of some type.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

I kept waiting for the thing Five stole in the flashback that got her friends killed to come back up last season so I wonder if that's what the new boss is after and if it's tied to the whoever is preventing the crews' trials or it could be Three's family. The Warden seemed to be arranging their deaths near the end so that's probably going to push the escape to happen sooner rather than later. 

This show has always lacked world building so the crew being imprisoned does give a chance to expand things beyond the Raza. 

Personally I hope One is dead, Corso replacing him has a lot of potential and Six can be the crew's new good goody. It would have more layers for him anyway. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, patchwork said:

Personally I hope One is dead, Corso replacing him has a lot of potential and Six can be the crew's new good goody. It would have more layers for him anyway. 

I'm going to guess that the guy that got shot was a clone that One had made to look him (Corso) and that maybe the guy that did the killing was One. It's just seems too simple for Corso to kill One and then replace him.

• Love 1

It felt like a reboot to me, especially with One seemingly going to his end. They were getting away from "1-6" and doing a lot of using their given names. I did like the technician looking like he just got slapped and not knowing what to do when the Android told him no. Watching the Promo monkey there is some prison time left but i hope we get back to the Raza and let the future Magnificent 7 do their thing.

• Love 1

The idea that Derrick Moss was a brilliant businessman who starts off by firing 10% of his employees, just so that he can give billions to charity, struck me as a great way to set up the discovery that Moss was in his own clean hands way the most evil prick of them all. That business "plan" is so ridiculous the writers can't (or shouldn't!) mean it. On the other hand, Jace Corso as bad ass motherfucker strikes me as lame cliche. And I thought Marc Bendavid really can't pull that off, unlike his male ingenue persona. Most people hated it because it was so repulsively convincing I suspect. So if this is a soft reboot, it's not looking promising to me. But faking Moss' death or somehow undoing it is shark jumping. That is hard to pull off. 

• Love 2

Welcome back, show. I probably should have binge-watched season 1 in preparation but too late now. I don't mind the prison-plot and that the crew is at least temporarily off the ship. One of my main problems was how isolated they were from their 'world' which meant the show lacked world-building. As mentioned above that has changed with kicking them to prison. Since it looks as if a kill-protocol has been activated already I don't think they will spend a lot of time inside the Hyperion facility. Though that set looks expensive so I might be wrong. And thanks to whoever decided to give us such a well-lit prison. After a season of squinting at the dingy lit sets of the Raza trying to figure out what's going on I appreciate the improved lighting. Plus they got some smooth talkers - both the prison ward and the leader of the prison gang have great voices, so there's that. All in all I'm okay with more episodes inside.

I'm not entirely against killing off One but I doubt that's really going to happen. Also: not enough Android. Looking forward to next week.

• Love 3
(edited)

I identified with One's bewildered reactions, conflicted loyalties, and attempts to stand up for what he thinks is right, so I'd miss him if he's really dead. The storyline with his company and, I assume, evil chairman has to go somewhere and still tie back into the rest of the Raza crew.

It's possible to me that Six isn't really GA law enforcement and his supposed history was fabricated -- he just seems too off.

GA Tech: If I don't get those files, it'll be my head on a platter.
Android: That seems unlikely. [pause] But, okay.

Don't ever change, Android!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Re:  Trenna Keating - that was DOc Yewell?!?   I am speechless amazed.  

Last we saw Doc Yewll travelling the universe with Nolan, so you never know maybe the Doc opened a law practice after dropping all the Omec off at a suitable planet  :)

I was also surprised as I did not recognize Trenna Keating at all, maybe it's the fact she had hair.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, sjohnson said:

The idea that Derrick Moss was a brilliant businessman who starts off by firing 10% of his employees, just so that he can give billions to charity, struck me as a great way to set up the discovery that Moss was in his own clean hands way the most evil prick of them all. That business "plan" is so ridiculous the writers can't (or shouldn't!) mean it. On the other hand, Jace Corso as bad ass motherfucker strikes me as lame cliche. And I thought Marc Bendavid really can't pull that off, unlike his male ingenue persona. Most people hated it because it was so repulsively convincing I suspect. So if this is a soft reboot, it's not looking promising to me. But faking Moss' death or somehow undoing it is shark jumping. That is hard to pull off. 

That is why both ideas work for me.  Honestly when I first saw Jace Corso again i thought maybe Derrick decided to hire him to get his "friends" out of prison or maybe pull a trading places again.  Have Jace impersonate him and go back to run his business while he lets himself get arrested for Corso's crimes so he can inform his crew of Six's duplicity.  

The other side works as well.  Jace really is a bad guy and was hired by they guy running Moss's father's company. The guy turns on him and he is put in the prison with the Raza gang.  Of course he is out for revenge,  

Both scenarios do eventualy solve the "who really killed Moss's wife" storyline.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

Definitely not enough Android.  Are they shooting another season of Lost Girl?  I haven't finished the second half of the last season.  I hope we get to see a lot more of Zoie Palmer. 

I'm not too worried about the prison because of the limited number of speaking roles in this episode.  Curious people might look at the names of the next episodes announced so far.  I'm guessing that 2,3, and 4 are going to get some of those earpieces that the guards use, all hell will break loose, and they'll get back to the ship somehow.  I don't see how they're going to get 5 and 6 back with them unless they do it together, or how they're going to get the ship back unless it just happens to be sitting right there next to the prison.  I hope they do it quick.  I don't want to watch much more of their ground meal worm dinners.

One is probably dead, and the actor will just be playing Jace Corso.  I don't think any of his corporate story would fit in too well with the progress of the series.  I don't see why he would reunite with the rest of the crew.  He has memories of them that they don't have of themselves, unless they somehow manage to unwipe their minds. 

Two probably suspects that Nyx is the same as her.  I have a suspicion that if Nyx escapes with them, she will end up betraying them all at the end of this season. 

Three is pretty quiet so far.  I couldn't stand him in the beginning of last season because he was so noisy.  Then they did the backstory episodes and humanized him.  I suspect that the aide in the infirmary at the prison will somehow help them escape and go with them, because I don't think the actor, Shaun Sipos,  would be doing this as a one off.  He could be their medic, but we also don't know yet what his crimes were. 

I thought Four was going to kill someone in the prison gang.  I doubt that they are going to be relevant, except possibly trying to screw up their escape and getting killed for it. 

Five has the most possibilities and is probably the most interested in getting them all back together.  She also connects Six with the rest of the group which might not be interested in having him back.  Her crimes were all misdemeanors.  I thought they would release her right away, but apparently they're going to try and extract information from her that she will be unwilling to give them. 

Six can obviously change loyalties again.  He may go back with the others, and become the conscience because One is now going to be a bad guy.   I don't see the show getting away from the ship for very long.   They should be back on the run, doing jobs, helping freedom fighters and having fun together.  They brought back that diamond shaped symbol that One had from last season, but not that flat thing that Five had that caused all her problems.

All in all, I was glad to have the show back, but was disappointed with this episode.  I don't want to watch a prison drama.  I want them back in Space on the NotEnterprise, NotGallactica, Raza.

• Love 3
(edited)

Not enough Two.

I did not see that twist coming with One. I am actually intrigued for once by his story, so well done, show!

I hope they are not suggesting that Nyx is also a constructed human.

When Five was going on about betrayal and friendship, all I could think was, "you were only friends because you'd wiped all their memories... after they let you stay on board instead of throwing you out the nearest airlock."

Glad to have the show back, and really cool to see Franka Potente!

Edited by DEM
(edited)
4 hours ago, DEM said:

I think she would have to be to go toe to toe with 2/Portia.  It seems odd though that the authorities wouldn't have figured that out yet.  Maybe she's been holding back and is even more badass than they think, or maybe she's an inside enforcer doing what the authorities want her to do.  She stopped those 3 guys from taking 3/Boone's ration card.  She has already interacted with 2 and 3 in prison.  I'm surprised that she didn't join them at the table yet.  Maybe she has to interact with 4/Ryo before that. 

4 hours ago, DEM said:

they let you stay on board instead of throwing you out the nearest airlock."

Does anyone remember the S1 memory scene of who voted for her to stay?   My recollection is that 2 and 3 both voted for her to get spaced, but 1 and 6 were against it, and 4 cast the deciding vote in favor of keeping her.  She was pretty mad at 2/Portia after that memory and might like even Jase Corso better than 2 and 3. 

Edited by atomationage
Because One was not the real Jase Corso in that memory scene.
  • Love 1

I'm currently operating under the assumption that One somehow got a message to Corso - "Hey, if you're in the area, how about coming by and killing me? I'll even pay you." One had a little comment to himself right before he opened the door which, in retrospect, might have been apropos if he knew it was time to get gunned down as planned. I'm also assuming that he had a more rugged clone produced (on such short notice!), unlike the disposable Transfer Transit ones we've already seen. The problem with this scenario is that I don't think he yet had official control of his assets so he'd probably have needed help to arrange things and he didn't know who to trust. Unless Six was in on it or he got Corso to handle the arrangements...

• Love 4

On a shallow note, I thought Mallari and Lemke looked out of shape compared to last year in this episode.  The same for Bendavid, but he didn't take his shirt off so it wasn't as noticable. 

I read the killing of Derrick Moss by Jase Corso to be exactly what happened.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think they wanted to have two of him anymore. 

Yes, but only after a few seconds. Since there was a cut to black immediately after the killing shot, it could have occurred a little bit later. Given the backstory (just expanded on quite a lot in this episode), I doubt One is truly gone.

It was a good episode; I loved that such things as the duplicity of the GA were not glossed over and the level of corruption was as expected, given the way corporations were running things (under the GA's nose) in season 1. It was clearly implied that at least some corporations want to avoid a trial for any of the Raza crew because a lot of major crimes, done on their orders, would come out.

The scene with the Android was very nice. After the first couple of episodes of S1, she would probably have turned over all the information she had on the crew (because they're criminals), but now she clearly is loyal to them.

• Love 2

The big question so far -- where is the Raza ?  So that when they do escape they have to be able to get back on board -- is it in the hangar ? Or in orbit around Hyperion 8 ?  Or somewhere on the naerby planet -- the planet that they are planning to send Five/Emily to ?  I suspect the prison is on an airless moon of the planet.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, DEM said:

I don't think so. I think she was just supposed to be an extreme badass. I've been wrong before, of course.

6 hours ago, atomationage said:

I think she would have to be to go toe to toe with 2/Portia.  It seems odd though that the authorities wouldn't have figured that out yet.   

It think it was 2 that was holding back. She seemed to just want the fight to end with no one really hurt. I don't think she was trying to bring Nyx down with extreme violence. 2 is worried about the authorities figuring out her secret.

• Love 2

One did say "I'm ready" before answering the door. So it's maybe a hint that he's psyching himself up for acting out an elaborate fakeout (possibly one he hired Corso to help with)?

It's also possible they decided "billionaire fugitive" was not very workable, especially since they already have one guy who is a "royal fugitive".

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The big question so far -- where is the Raza ?  So that when they do escape they have to be able to get back on board -- is it in the hangar ? Or in orbit around Hyperion 8 ?  Or somewhere on the naerby planet -- the planet that they are planning to send Five/Emily to ?  I suspect the prison is on an airless moon of the planet.

I believe they showed it in orbit, or 'parked' somewhere nearby, right before the scene of Six walking its halls and finding the encrypted file about himself in his quarters.

• Love 3

I'd assumed that Moss really was dead, since they bothered to show the forehead wound, which is usually a way of saying, "No, really, he's dead." If so, I'm a little sad because I liked him. I don't think he could necessarily carry a whole show, but his somewhat naive idealism was a nice contrast with the rest of the cast. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the writers were using this as a way to switch out and have Corso posing as him full-time, since TV writers seem to hate writing nice people and think that darker people are automatically more interesting.

However, since they've raised the fact of clones, and since they devoted a fair amount of screen time in the episode to setting up a story arc for Moss that Corso wouldn't care about, I suppose there is a possibility that he set it up to give himself a chance to escape. Either Corso is actually in on it and was hired to kill the clone to make it look good (possibly not knowing that this was what he was doing), or it was interesting timing that Corso showed up, and the clone was just supposed to go away with the corporate people, letting the real Moss stay behind to try to help his friends. It's possible that the corporate people hired Corso to kill Moss to get him out of the way, and the clone ruse ended up saving Moss's life.

Though I guess all that setup about doubting the story about the security guard could end up just being to establish something Six knows that could trip up the impostor.

• Love 2

So we finally have an answer on five's age, she's sixteen. That explains why the crew treat her like a kid but she's a very young acting sixteen to say that she had been living on the streets from the age of twelve. Her attempts to turn a bunch of mostly hardened criminals into her family seems an odd choice. They've only really known each other six weeks. I guess it could be the bonding experience of the amnesia or maybe because her family of street kids were killed she's sticking to tough criminals hoping they'll be harder to kill. 

• Love 3

In this interview, Joseph Mallozzi (surprisingly) gives confirmation about the end of the episode:

http://www.thetvjunkies.com/dark-matter-joseph-mallozzi-welcome-your-new-home/

The Raza indeed appears to be in orbit around the moon that Hyperion-8 is build on. Six even visited it this episode.

As for Five and her family, they all seem to have bonded after the amnesia. Between Two, Six, the Android, One and to some extent even Four, there were a lot of them acting friendly and/or protective towards her.

• Love 5

I missed the confirmation of Five's age.  Although I did keep feeling like she was playing it as younger than she is supposed to be, and others were treating her as if she were much younger.  They all act like she's a very young teen, imo, more like 14 maybe, and she plays it as very young.  I knew the character was not the actress' age (22), but though more upper teens.  Even at 16, though, I still think they are having her play it, and having the other characters treat her, as younger than that.  

• Love 1

Thanks for the link. 

As to how interesting all these plot developments will be, in the end for me it comes down to whether the choices made by the characters are genuinely significant, and relate somehow to life. The whole amnesia thing was very much a scifi way of approaching the notion of reinventing yourself, presenting itself as what would you choose. So far the two character with any real choice to make were Ryo Tetsuda and Derrick Moss. Ryo is portrayed as never giving a moment's thought to automatically recommitting to his old life. In my view monarchs are criminals so his ambitions to conquer a planet make him a thorough going villain, therefore not very interesting. Cliche martial arts fetishism isn't very interesting to me either. The discovery (shared with Firefly) that people will take up copying antiquarian dress and manners just for the hell of it never struck me as very compelling TV. He has some memories as I recall but it's not clear to me how they would make his old life so attractive he'd commit any number of crimes to get it back. Except of course being a monarch satisfies a lust for power. 

Moss of course had his vendetta and his mysterious Jace Corso disguise to take up as well as great wealth. Why do this for a woman you don't even remember? Killing off Moss may make the fans who hated One for being a goody two shoes, plus not butch enough, happy. But getting rid of characters who have meaningful choices to make really strikes me as a misstep. Again, I thought Marc Bendavid did One well, but his Jace Corso is not. 

Portia Lin has a huge problem, but choosing to try to live free despite being constructed is something of a no-brainer. We are all after all constructed by our families. Who capable of living independently chooses to live with them all their lives? (Unless there's property involved, I must add.) So Portia Lin would rather grow up to be Two. We can root for her to win (at least I do,) but that's mere conflict. If conflict were drama, every horse race or boxing match is a drama. Also, it is sadly customary for women's dialogue and characterization to be kind of flat. In the end the suspense in seeing whether Two wins depends on how convincing the setting and plotting are. Being soft scifi, which would rather borrow settings and plots, it's less likely to be compelling. The whole point is more to remind you of old scifi shows, for nostalgia, rather than to help you suspend disbelief so that for a while you can "see" this as something that could really happen.

Marcus Boone has some memories of himself. But he was a criminal, he wants to remain a criminal, because as near as I can tell, it involves less making of meaningful choices. Anyhow it's not clear that he could very easily stop being a criminal without paying a high price he hasn't got the fortitude to accept. There was briefly something about true love, but that sort of disappeared. And it's not clear that's what he really wants in the end. They have basically rewritten the character so that his few memories, which focus on his happy childhood, make his a nicer, more One-ish person. Well it's certainly more pleasant to watch than his original persona. But the hypermasculine, not too bright, tough guy who randomly wears a heart of gold on his sleeve while being a win, win, win kick ass when needed but charmingly bumbling other times to keep him humble...this is not a person I can relate to anyone I've met in my life. He seems to me to be cobbled out of other stories and dramas, not a believable character at all. But that's me.

Emily whozis...I don't know, having a woman play a girl is a customary stylized thing (because labor laws for young actresses are harder to deal with, plus generally to find young talent you have to actually find them, instead of going through casting files.) So the reliance on the actress' sex appeal instead of characterization is sort of built in. The character is pretty one note, wants a family, wants a family, wants a family. Why this family? Not necessary to choose why, this is the one the script provided. Like Portia Lin, she has a problem to solve. And again, like Portia Lin, we can root for her, if we can stop wondering if she could do better? Or why she doesn't want to grow up? Rooting for her to stay at home forever is rooting for an impossibility, with no suspense and no reward.

Kal Varrick has some memories of himself as I recall, albeit traumatic ones. On the one hand they lead him to want to change, to reinvent himself as a good person. His information once led him to believe he was a good person, a cop, but it's turned out to be bad information. At this moment, it's hard to see how reattaching himself to Emily, much less the prisoners, can help him to rise above his complicity in the Hyadum-12 massacre. They were all a part of the disaster at the lab (with its echoes to Hyadum-12) so turning them in seemed to be an atonement, but he's learned again, that even in his allegedly good persona as a cop, he's not. Trying to turn Varrick into the new One/moral center does have the problem that on a personal level, there is no more connection to the group. Nor is it clear how trying to rebuild a connection, to make a found (or work) family to replace an unhappy family, even addresses the issue of his guilt? Then why invest so much effort into it? The group is still "guilty" of the lab disaster. Roger Cross has been typecast enough as a bad ass, but this role isn't a bad ass anymore, it's a very complex character. Has Cross ever had the opportunity to tackle a complex character?

• Love 2

Really happy this show is back,and I am really interested in where we are going from here. The crew is separated, half of them are in the jail from Guardians of the Galaxy, and One may or may not be dead. On the one hand, I never disliked One as much as some people did (although he is my least favorite crew member), so I will be sad if he really is gone, but I would give them credit for doing something shocking and shaking up the premise. 

I did like the stuff in the jail (the gang gets into various messes and set up the inevitable escape), and the scene with the programmer and the Android, but I hope they get back to the Raza soon, and start having space adventures again soon.  

• Love 3

PLEASE KILL DERRICK SHOW.

I mean, seriously, this teasing at the very end was too cruel. I'd take Jace Corso over the boring and whiny One any time. I still don't like the actor but maybe he could do something with a character who's not self-righteous bordering on Marty Stu. Of course, considering the build-up with the obviously evil vizier (err, the CEO of the corporation? I forgot his name and position), he's probably alive somehow, even if the show seemingly took pains to show Corso killing him for good. There was clone technology last season, so it's probably that).

Otherwise, not quite what I've expected and kinda mediocre, but watchable, I guess. I kinda hope Nyx is also a cyborg, pseudo-android, or whatever the hell Two/Portia Lyn is. It would make sense and be interesting.

Still liking Three/Marcus (should we now use their real names?). He's always funny and I think I'm kinda liking the actor. But then, I always liked Jayne in Firefly, and, as I already mentioned last year, he basically is Jayne, sans the hat. 

Wonder if the Galactic Alliance police just tricked Six to think he's one of the them. I kinda hope they did.

And we still have no idea how the crew lost their memories. Argh.

• Love 2

I did think that Six had been deceived into thinking he was an undercover operative. It wouldn't have been hard for them to produce fake files to show him. It is actually more consistent with Six's personality though. I buy him more as a cop than i did as a criminal.

• Love 5
On 7/1/2016 at 10:29 PM, mjc570 said:

Hope they escape QUICKLY, I'm not a fan of prison dramas.  I didn't get the point of the clone(?) shooting One at the end, as I assumed he would take his place.  I assume he is in cahoots with the old guy CEO. 

It wasn't a clone, it was the real guy he has been impersonating this whole time. (Derrick Moss got plastic surgery to change his face to look like the guy from the crew of the Raza).

On 7/1/2016 at 11:22 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Certainly not against any episode that finds a way to get Two into her underwear.  Melissa O'Neil is gorgeous.

I myself enjoyed any scene of Four in his underwear. He is gorgeous.

On 7/2/2016 at 3:46 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I'm currently operating under the assumption that One somehow got a message to Corso - "Hey, if you're in the area, how about coming by and killing me? I'll even pay you." One had a little comment to himself right before he opened the door which, in retrospect, might have been apropos if he knew it was time to get gunned down as planned. I'm also assuming that he had a more rugged clone produced (on such short notice!), unlike the disposable Transfer Transit ones we've already seen. The problem with this scenario is that I don't think he yet had official control of his assets so he'd probably have needed help to arrange things and he didn't know who to trust. Unless Six was in on it or he got Corso to handle the arrangements...

He looked genuinely surprised when he opened the door and saw who it was.

I'm glad this show is back, I missed it and Killjoys too. 

I am kind of hoping that the boring Derrick Moss is really gone. I don't really care about him or who killed his wife either. But it's possible that he finally figured out that the CEO of his company has strong motive to kill him, and took the precaution of replacing himself with a clone. Then Jace Corso, who has been hired by the evil CEO, kills the clone. I hope they don't go with this scenario, but it's possible.

I liked the new character of Nyx. The character I wish they'd get rid of is the annoying whiny Five/Emily. But I guess they have to have a Magic Hacker Girl character.

Can they start using all their real names now? Enough of this Two, Six, Three nonsense already. It only made sense at the very beginning of the show when they didn't know their real names yet. Now they all know.

• Love 2

I think the number thing was kind of a good premise for the first season.  Even when they found out their names they didn't like the people their files said they were so they kept the numbers as a symbol of a fresh start.  I do agree though now that the show is progressing past that and they may be forced to be those people again the number system doesn't really work anymore..

• Love 3
(edited)

If One/Moss is really dead, I don't think Jace killed him on the CEO's orders, it could have been he did it simply to take his place as a billionaire. At least that was my first thought. No reason for the CEO to hire Jace specifically.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4
(edited)

There’s a whole question of that interdimensional key card that Five discovered in Episode 3

From the Mallozzi article, I had completely forgotten what the thingy was.  Unless she hid it in some special hiding place on the ship, and they get back there, it's lost now.  So the ship is just sitting there waiting for The Great Escape.  We're going to get more of Nyx, Arax from the GA, and Devon from the infirmary.   I liked the show last season.  I don't think I'm going to like this season as much. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

If One/Moss is really dead, I don't think Jace killed him on the CEO's orders, it could have been he did it simply to take his place as a billionaire. At least that was my first thought. No reason for the CEO to hire Jace specifically.

One possible reason: the CEO could want Jace to impersonate Derrick, at least for a while. He could still "die in an accident" before there is time for plastic surgery, but in a way that wouldn't put suspicion on the CEO. If they hide the body and use Jace, the murder does not need to come out right away.

17 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

However, since they've raised the fact of clones, and since they devoted a fair amount of screen time in the episode to setting up a story arc for Moss that Corso wouldn't care about, I suppose there is a possibility that he set it up to give himself a chance to escape. Either Corso is actually in on it and was hired to kill the clone to make it look good (possibly not knowing that this was what he was doing), or it was interesting timing that Corso showed up, and the clone was just supposed to go away with the corporate people, letting the real Moss stay behind to try to help his friends. It's possible that the corporate people hired Corso to kill Moss to get him out of the way, and the clone ruse ended up saving Moss's life.

Though I guess all that setup about doubting the story about the security guard could end up just being to establish something Six knows that could trip up the impostor.

IIRC, the deal with the clones was that they replaced you, theoretically elsewhere or maybe in a dangerous situation, but that you couldn't use one to multitask. You're basically in stasis until done using the clone. Which doesn't preclude One using a clone for whatever reason and the clone getting shot. Jace walked away before it w/should have turned to goo. But he couldn't use one to give himself time to rescue the crew. And the fact they turn to mush means leaving a dead clone behind won't make things "look good," unless we're talking security camera feeds. That's a problem I have with scifi, anyway, that today we're already capable of faking film footage quite convincingly, so it shouldn't be necessary to go to cloning lengths to fake it - you'd have Five mock up something on the computer instead. 

I'd bet the backstory with the witness/ wife's murder serves two purposes: 1) so that Six has something of value  to offer the crew, as he'll recognize that Jace/One is fake, and 2) it has to do with the question of Three's guilt. We tend to think of that SL in terms of One and his loss, but it was also the OOC crime that Three was supposed to have committed. This allows for an out -> he didn't actually do it, he was wrongfully accused. Like they redeemed/cleared Six (undercover) and One (impostor), and Five (just misdemeanors). With Three, we've already seen that he was killing in self defense after having been wrongfully accused of patricide, so somewhat less guilty than it initially appeared.

Other than that, mixed feelings on One's apparent death. Theoretically I like Jace as a character better than Moss (although Moss could have provided an interesting insight into a system where corporations have become the dictators/government, but I don't think they really figured out how to use him that way). But I felt the actor was kind of weak, and his Jace was even harder for me to take than his One/Moss. Here's hoping they use him more sparingly this season. One was frequently pretty damn annoying.  

I was okay with Six's "betrayal" of the crew, because it made enough sense. I wasn't always 100% sold, but it worked well enough. What really didn't work for me was his whole "they're criminals" schtick, where we all know (Six included) that he had a meltdown while undercover and killed a bunch of people in cold blood. I'm really not okay with that. Even if they were murdering terrorists, there still should have been due process. Of course, knowing his bosses knew the attack was going to happen makes it worse, and makes you wonder how dirty the law here is, but then he definitely needs to get off the self righteous trip. I think he can replace One as moral compass quite nicely, particularly because he's far more competent, which provides a counterweight to the moral nattering.

Here's also hoping they tone down the Five and her annoying!girl persona. I'm about ready to throw her out of an airlock at this rate. 

Calling it now: Nyx joins them, but won't betray them, because they can't possibly have two season finales in a row with POC betraying the crew. (Can they?) None of the other new characters made much of an impression on me but the guard ("highlight of my day"), except Franka P., who I irrationally dislike and hope doesn't appear much. (Not sure why, either. I must have really hated her in something.)

Going by that article and Mallozzi's answer(s), I wonder if we won't see MB at all until the crew tracks the real Jace Corso down - or will we see "world building" scenes of him leading up to when the Raza finds him.  I'm betting on the latter, if even just a few random scenes here & there.

(edited)

So I assume that we are going to find out that the evil CEO had Jace Corso kill Morse's wife and then try to get on the Raza in order to kill 3?

i'm not sure if that is a side plot to the GA is totally corrupt (and probably knew the last space station was going to get blown up or not).  I am guessing they Put 6 on the ship and then let him know who he was so that when he was involved with a SECOND explosion he would turn them all in?  But he may figure out that they were all set up because of the special snowflake that is 5.  Don't know about Nyx being super human but clearly 2 is suspicious.

i still think the android has the most personality of all of them.

Edited by call me ishmael
Cleaning up.
11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think the number thing was kind of a good premise for the first season.  Even when they found out their names they didn't like the people their files said they were so they kept the numbers as a symbol of a fresh start.  I do agree though now that the show is progressing past that and they may be forced to be those people again the number system doesn't really work anymore..

I could see it becoming more of a nickname between themselves but with everyone else they use their real names.

• Love 2

I learned everyone's number last season. I can't be bothered to learn everyone's name this season. Shows should give their characters a name and stick to it, save on confusion.

• Love 5