Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 9/18/2023 at 6:36 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I finally saw the ad y’all are talking about, and my take was that the whole point was the increasingly unexpected people showing up in the room. First the kid (who appeared to be at least a tween, if that matters), then one by one the various Progressive folks. I’m neither a fan nor hater of those Progressive ads  in general, but this one didn’t bother me more than any others. 

Is this the one with the chimney sweep and Jamie saying he's the biggest insurance agent there?  If so, I don't think there's anything inappropriate with the kid being in bed between the actors playing the parents.  Everyone was fully clothed.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

"Enjoy your new walk-in tub and shower before the black mold our crappy install will create takes your life!"

How does the water not pour out when you open the little door to walk in? 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Okay Angi, we get that you dropped the List from your name but stop trying to make Angi a verb. "You should Angi that". Just no.

It's so irritating.  Angie's List became Angi a good while ago.  How long are they going to drag out their "new" name?  Also nouns as verbs is another indication of the dumbing down of society.  Please make it stop!

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I think you use it as either a walk-in shower with just walking through the door OR as a bathtub with the door up.  I don't have one though.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Speaking of which, I'm not annoyed, irritated, or outright enraged, but I am embarrassed for Ben Affleck in the new (?) Dunkin' Donuts ad with some girl with really unattractive hair.  And I don't even like Ben Affleck, but it's so bad I'm cringing.

The some girl with really unattractive hair is a rapper named Ice Spice.

What a stupid commercial with the way Ben Affleck is acting.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This confused me -- the sound quality (or the way she talks?) is weird. And the fact that they refer to just the drink as "the Dunkin'." Wouldn't all of it be considered "the Dunkin'"?

I just came here to post about that ad. I literally cannot understand a word she says. Nothing. She might have well said nothing.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

In my continuing irritation with people hired to perform in commercials who cannot pronounce the name that is being advertised:  an investment firm named One Key whose spokeswoman calls it Wonky.

I know I'm racing to trust my life savings with Wonky.

• Like 1
  • LOL 16
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This confused me -- the sound quality (or the way she talks?) is weird.

I was trying to figure out whether it was a M3gan-style robot or CGI until I realized she's a real person.

• LOL 10
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Also nouns as verbs is another indication of the dumbing down of society.  Please make it stop!

Yes! On "Married at First Sight," they're always saying "Let's cheers!"  Drives me up the wall!

6 hours ago, Shrek said:

You have to get in and wait for it to fill up.  I read or heard once that it fills up quickly.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

It's so irritating.  Angie's List became Angi a good while ago.  How long are they going to drag out their "new" name?  Also nouns as verbs is another indication of the dumbing down of society.  Please make it stop!

I think you use it as either a walk-in shower with just walking through the door OR as a bathtub with the door up.  I don't have one though.

As said above, you get in then fill it up. To get out, you wait for it to empty.  They used to have a lot of complaints about the amount of time they took to fill and especially to empty.  Supposedly those features have been fixed.  

I actually came here to comment on the new oreos commercials - you always remember your first oreo.  Really?  Unless you had your first oreo within in the last 48 hours, why would you remember your first oreo? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I actually came here to comment on the new oreos commercials - you always remember your first oreo.  Really?  Unless you had your first oreo within in the last 48 hours, why would you remember your first oreo? 

Wow, Nabisco really does think Oreos are da bomb, huh?  Yeah, no.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

She's the daughter of Vanilla Ice and Ginger Spice

Just referencing the seemingly endless selection of rapper names, I do the NYT crossword daily and it is such a lazy out to reference some random rapper whose name you can absolutely not guess. I guess the constructor's dictionary has expanded a lot lately....

Yeah I've seen that ad and I also could not understand one tiny bit of it, other than recognizing Affleck and wondering what the hell he was doing in this mess.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

As said above, you get in then fill it up. To get out, you wait for it to empty.  They used to have a lot of complaints about the amount of time they took to fill and especially to empty.  Supposedly those features have been fixed.  

The problem with that is that how long it takes to fill and empty is totally dependant on the water pressure in your house, and when it empties, if you've got a slow running drain, it's going to be slow. Nothing the tub does will make a difference. 

That Dunkin ad..that woman is real? I was wondering if she was some CGI creation. She looks fake. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

(not really enraged, but, whatever). There's this ad for a car, I guess, where a variety of parents are herding their kids into cars and driving wherever they need to go. It's basically realistic in the whole "we have to go" "Hurry hurry" that those of us with kids can relate to. At the end the teen daughter has been dropped off at her soccer game/practice--you can see all the other girls are wearing yellow t-shirts-- and she pulls out a tot-size yellow ballerina costume. The mom gives a relatable reaction that's pretty amusing- oh man, I screwed up AGAIN.

Now I remember when my kids were younger *everything* was my fault whether it was or not. A friend mom with the same age daughter said her daughter blamed her when my friend washed her daugher's jeans with her phone in the pocket. I told her that I thought *I* was to blame for everything that happened  in the square mile around my house.

But it occurred to me that a teen daughter should totally be in charge of packing her own damn soccer t-shirt.

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
On 9/20/2023 at 1:05 PM, Shrek said:

You get in the tub before you fill it with water and empty it before you get out.  But I like the idea of people causing floods in their bathrooms by opening the door while the tub is filled.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:16 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Hell, I can't remember my last Oreo.  And it probably wasn't that long ago.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

You get in the tub before you fill it with water and empty it before you get out.  But I like the idea of people causing floods in their bathrooms by opening the door while the tub is filled.

Yes I know that it's just something that amuses me. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 3

Gain's ads seem to be on constantly, and I think I hate them all.  There's a sleaze factor in most of them, between the creepy guy on the bus, the orgasmic woman in the supermarket, and the weird woman sniffing a stranger's cardigan, all accompanied by the low rent gigolo voiceover.

And even the extended version one with the dog is nasty because it shows the super drooly dog before it squirms all over the sheets.  Not sleazy, but yuck.  Why would I buy a product to make my sheets smell fresh when I associate it with slobber?

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 9

Just referencing the seemingly endless selection of rapper names, I do the NYT crossword daily and it is such a lazy out to reference some random rapper whose name you can absolutely not guess. I guess the constructor's dictionary has expanded a lot lately....

I don't get why this is lazy. And there are many people who could guess many rappers' names -- or just know them outright without having to guess. 

• Like 4

I was disappointed to see Mary Lou Retton shilling Colonial Penn Life Insurance. I think their policies are a rip-off. You have to live 2 years after signing up to get a full payout. I think that is why there are no medical questions. Their actuaries have figured out that's the odds.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Back in the olden days (pre-Will Shortz) they used to reference random opera stars that you couldn't guess.  At least rapper names are usually actual words like Lil, Ice, Easy, etc.

The other day they had a clue brain _________? The solution was "fart". Brain fart. I couldn't believe it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I typically don't know and can't guess any sports-related answers other than the super-obvious and maybe skateboard-related ones. But I could probably guess quite a few hop-hop artists. Knowledge bases vary and rap stuff seems just as valid as anything else entertainment-centered in a crossword puzzle. 

I never see the walk-in tub ones anymore! This seems weird, considering I like to watch the nostalgia channels. Maybe I'm just lucky! Is Ma Ingalls still on them? I do see the same stupid 3 ads over and over during Barney Miller though. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I typically don't know and can't guess any sports-related answers other than the super-obvious

Being asportual, I usually don't know current sports people, though there's the perennial ones like ORR or OTT that you can learn just doing crosswords.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was disappointed to see Mary Lou Retton shilling Colonial Penn Life Insurance. I think their policies are a rip-off. You have to live 2 years after signing up to get a full payout. I think that is why there are no medical questions. Their actuaries have figured out that's the odds.

And if you don't die in the actuarial "sweet spot", that $10 a month no longer pays out $1000 and then continues to decrease.  Total rip off.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

If I never have to hear the abomination that is that  Claritin commercial with "It's the most wonderful time..." as the song, it will be too soon. I love the holidays. I am at least 50% X-mas elf. Stop ruining that song, Claritin!

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

I also hate the one for whatever dog food it is (I refuse to pay enough attention to remember) where they're talking about how much healthier their dogs are after switching foods. The one guy drops his voice and says, conspiratorially, "and his number twos, are perfect." First of all, I don't know you, sir, and I definitely would not care about the perfection of your dog's poop even if I did. Second of all, I don't want to hear what your criteria are for making this rating decision.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, BookWitch said:

Frontdoor  video commercial We fixed this toilet to the tune of Jefferson Airplanes We Built This City.  I'm assuming the band gets paid for that?

The singers (who were Starship by then) would only get paid if the commercial used their vocal performance of the song, which is not the case here.  For a song performed by someone else that is based on the composition and lyrics, payment goes to the songwriter(s).

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
15 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Subaru bearsquatch commercial. The kid is old enough to be fascinated by such a story, not scared.  

Unless he was particularly frightened of bears.  Or sasquatches.  Which I suppose is possible.  I find the commercial more amusing than annoying but that's because I'm amused by the bearsquatch idea.  Like, is that why no one has found actual evidence of sasquatches?  Because they've been crossbreeding with bears and everyone just thinks whatever remains they've found are bears?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The Jared ad with 2 young women who look vaguely related. One says 'I always knew one of my love languages was gifting'. What kind of pretentious weirdo says stuff like that??

The kind of people who appear in Jared ads. I haven't seen any Jared ads that are not just plain sappy.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1