Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Is this an actual MP bit, or are you just channeling a dead parrot? To bring us back to the realm of commercials, and avoid the hand of the censors, let me say, I’m sure there was an ad for Spam somewhere in there.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, 2soon2tell said:

Is this an actual MP bit, or are you just channeling a dead parrot? To bring us back to the realm of commercials, and avoid the hand of the censors, let me say, I’m sure there was an ad for Spam somewhere in there.

You don't see many Spam commercials anymore. They had one where they would fry it up and it almost looked palatable.

42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You don't see many Spam commercials anymore. They had one where they would fry it up and it almost looked palatable.

Partly, but the broken out greasy face of the gal in the commercial was really off putting. This was the commercial where it was diced and fried with veggies. And the close up of her shoving a forkful into her mouth was the topper. Gah.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I know what it's trying to do as well. But it still makes no sense in the people's conversation.

And I'd argue that it does make sense in the conversation.  They're clearly referencing the old "walked to school in the snow uphill both ways" which is why the one kid says that grandpa grew up in Miami.

• Like 3

I know what they're referencing. That's not the issue -- for me, anyway. It's clunky and shoehorned in with no regard for conversational "flow." Maybe the commercial was once longer and, at that time, the line worked.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
On 9/5/2023 at 4:20 PM, TattleTeeny said:

@peacheslatour, we usually agree about lots of random stuff, so I am surprised to reveal that I think it’s funny when the Liberty Mutual kid drives over the flowerbed! I really don’t know why — maybe the fact that he’s not even speeding recklessly, he just slowly and clumsily lumbers over it.

That's exactly what annoys me about it. Limu and Doug have plenty of time to stop the kid from driving over the flowers, and they just stand there.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, janie jones said:

That's exactly what annoys me about it. Limu and Doug have plenty of time to stop the kid from driving over the flowers, and they just stand there.

Doug told him not to drive on the Freeways. He didn't say anything about flower beds. 😁

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, janie jones said:

I love, love, love that you held Limu equally responsible, hahahahhaaa!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

I complained before that the diabetes drugs ads that make a point of how much weight users lose, so they might as well just advertise them as weight loss drugs, and have read that Ozempic is being misprescribed. Now I'm seeing ads from a law firm that says if you have x,y,z symptoms from using a weight loss drugs such as Ozempic, not a drug to treat diabetes, call them to file a suit.  SMH.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I complained before that the diabetes drugs ads that make a point of how much weight users lose, so they might as well just advertise them as weight loss drugs, and have read that Ozempic is being misprescribed. Now I'm seeing ads from a law firm that says if you have x,y,z symptoms from using a weight loss drugs such as Ozempic, not a drug to treat diabetes, call them to file a suit.  SMH.

Lawsuits already?  That was fast!

Maybe this will be the beginning of the end to pharmaceutical companies being allowed to advertise on American TV.

Can we all hold a good thought? 🤔😜

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, chessiegal said:

I was chastised once by someone because I pointed out the weight loss thing. 

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2

I'm sure this has come up before because I can't be the only person who wants to blow their brains out when they hear it, but the effing "Whopper Whopper" Burger King ad . . . . 

https://www.google.com/search?q=burger+king+commercial&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS895US895&oq=burger+king+commercial&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l4j0i20i263i512j0i512l4.11838j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:848c138c,vid:9cPxh2DikIA,st:0

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I'm sure this has come up before because I can't be the only person who wants to blow their brains out when they hear it, but the effing "Whopper Whopper" Burger King ad . . . . 

https://www.google.com/search?q=burger+king+commercial&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS895US895&oq=burger+king+commercial&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l4j0i20i263i512j0i512l4.11838j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:848c138c,vid:9cPxh2DikIA,st:0

image.png.428d993bd91cb7ddc0d4f78c155fe279.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Those BK commercials are on all the time, and there's a new one seemingly weekly. Which means that guy with the horrible off-key voice is RICH. Besides being irritating and a tune-out factor, he's rich. American advertising at its finest.

What I find kind of depressing about BKs spots is the brown/yellow color scheme in all of them. They have a very retro, 70s feel. Kind of weirdly off-putting to me, and with the horrible singing added in, not a pleasant package. I question BKs whole approach. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Those BK commercials are on all the time, and there's a new one seemingly weekly. Which means that guy with the horrible off-key voice is RICH. Besides being irritating and a tune-out factor, he's rich. American advertising at its finest.

What I find kind of depressing about BKs spots is the brown/yellow color scheme in all of them. They have a very retro, 70s feel. Kind of weirdly off-putting to me, and with the horrible singing added in, not a pleasant package. I question BKs whole approach. 

Poor Ving Rhames. He used to be kind of a good actor.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Ball Hammocks.

just leaving that there, do with it what you will

Those commercials leave me with so many questions that can only be answered by people with the right equipment for the garment.  Would there be chafing issues from the little pouch?  Could it dig in on movement; e.g., twisting?  Are there size issues?  What if the goods don't fit with enough room for comfort?  How will this look in different kinds of pants?  Would things be riding higher than they normally would, thereby not fitting into pants properly?  Could these be used for packing? Would it look more or less natural? Why am I thinking so hard about ball hammocks?  Do I need professional help?  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
4 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Those commercials leave me with so many questions that can only be answered by people with the right equipment for the garment.  Would there be chafing issues from the little pouch?  Could it dig in on movement; e.g., twisting?  Are there size issues?  What if the goods don't fit with enough room for comfort?  How will this look in different kinds of pants?  Would things be riding higher than they normally would, thereby not fitting into pants properly?  Could these be used for packing? Would it look more or less natural? Why am I thinking so hard about ball hammocks?  Do I need professional help?  

For what it's worth, when my husband saw this commercial, he said "That's BS".

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Hey, Burger King? Eating when you're hungry is not a hunger "hack." It's eating. You know, a normal thing people do? Sit down and shut up. 

The freaking Safelite commercial with the oh-so-precious couple who cannot drive around at all hours of the night to get their bay-bee to stop crying is back. Well, WE need our windshield fixed CORRECTLY because we have a BAY-BEE. And the most cringe part is the way the tagline is whispered at the end to avoid waking the bay-bee. I make it a point to yell, "SAFELITE REPAIRS! SAFELITE REPLACE, BITCH! NOT ALL OF US AUTOMATICALLY THINK YOUR BAY-BEE IS THE BE ALL END ALL OF LIFE!!" 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

The freaking Safelite commercial with the oh-so-precious couple who cannot drive around at all hours of the night to get their bay-bee to stop crying is back. Well, WE need our windshield fixed CORRECTLY because we have a BAY-BEE. And the most cringe part is the way the tagline is whispered at the end to avoid waking the bay-bee. I make it a point to yell, "SAFELITE REPAIRS! SAFELITE REPLACE, BITCH! NOT ALL OF US AUTOMATICALLY THINK YOUR BAY-BEE IS THE BE ALL END ALL OF LIFE!!" 

Please come sit by me. You sound like I do when I see those stupid "baby on board" stickers on cars.

(Also, I love your avatar image.)

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Please come sit by me. You sound like I do when I see those stupid "baby on board" stickers on cars.

(Also, I love your avatar image.)

I will gladly have a seat at your table. Cheers! :)

And thanks - the YipYips were my favorite Sesame Street characters -- never got the limelight that Grover or Cookie Monster did, but the skits they had are forever in my head. Brrrrrrrrrrrrring!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 9/16/2023 at 1:31 AM, Ancaster said:

I was chastised once by someone because I pointed out the weight loss thing. 

It used to be kind of just a footnote in the commercials which focused more on how it treated diabetes, so I didn't really mind it.  Now, though, the weight loss aspect has definitely been bumped up in importance in the new commercials.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:37 AM, DXD526 said:

What I find kind of depressing about BKs spots is the brown/yellow color scheme in all of them. They have a very retro, 70s feel. Kind of weirdly off-putting to me, and with the horrible singing added in, not a pleasant package.

They're aiming for a throwback to their commercials from the 70s.  Going for the nostalgia effect.  Which may or may not work, depending on the viewer.

18 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Questions, so many questions. 😁

• Like 2
On 9/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, susannah said:

Yes, that is exactly why.

Rest assured that while it looks like a child between two strange adults, in reality they are in a room with about 50 other people all of whom are looking at the three of them on the bed.  If something untoward were to happen, it would be noticed and stopped.  One of the 50 is probably one of the child's parents.

• Like 8
On 9/9/2023 at 11:21 PM, susannah said:

I really dislike the Progressive ad where it shows two parents and a little girl in bed together, with the child in the middle. It's not disgusting, but it is extremely inappropriate, to have a child in bed next to a grown man in a commercial.

On 9/10/2023 at 3:17 PM, susannah said:

Yes, that is exactly why.

10 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Rest assured that while it looks like a child between two strange adults, in reality they are in a room with about 50 other people all of whom are looking at the three of them on the bed.  If something untoward were to happen, it would be noticed and stopped.  One of the 50 is probably one of the child's parents.

I finally saw the ad y’all are talking about, and my take was that the whole point was the increasingly unexpected people showing up in the room. First the kid (who appeared to be at least a tween, if that matters), then one by one the various Progressive folks. I’m neither a fan nor hater of those Progressive ads  in general, but this one didn’t bother me more than any others. 

• Like 6
On 9/17/2023 at 4:40 PM, potatoradio said:

The fact that they think they can't drive their car with that little crack in the windshield is ridiculous anyway. Put your bay-bee in the car and go cruise around the neighborhood. And call tomorrow if you're so anal about the windshield. 

Maybe I've watched too much Mike Holmes, but the ads for some place that remodels your shower tub to a safer shower stall drive me crazy. "It was done the same day!" They show speeded up the demolishing of the old tub and the new shower being installed. They put regular plywood and then the tile or marble or whatever material for the shower. One, you can't do a job like that properly in one day, and they're not using the right materials. That plywood should mold up nicely. 

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Maybe I've watched too much Mike Holmes, but the ads for some place that remodels your shower tub to a safer shower stall drive me crazy. "It was done the same day!" They show speeded up the demolishing of the old tub and the new shower being installed. They put regular plywood and then the tile or marble or whatever material for the shower. One, you can't do a job like that properly in one day, and they're not using the right materials. That plywood should mold up nicely. 

"Enjoy your new walk-in tub and shower before the black mold our crappy install will create takes your life!"

• LOL 11

I am just going to go ahead and say that all Fairlife milk commercials are annoying as hell. I just saw one that was new to me; it features assholes making blissful faces as they cram cereal into their mouths and it thoroughly enraged me (though not quite as much as “Milk in your cereal? With Fairlife, it’s more like cereal”).

Edited by TattleTeeny
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am just going to go ahead and say that all Fairlife milk commercials are annoying as hell. I just saw one that was new to me; it features assholes making blissful faces as they cram cereal into their mouths and it thoroughly enraged me (though not quite as much as “Milk in your cereal? With Fairlife, it’s more like cereal”).

What the hell does that even mean? 

• Like 5

THANK YOU! I do not know what it means and I don't know what they think it means to us! It is stupid and drives me bats every time I hear it (not to mention that the voice of the woman who says it is super-annoying as well). How the hell can a thing be more like itself by adding something to it?! Fuck you, Fairlife.

• LOL 5
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

THANK YOU! I do not know what it means and I don't know what they think it means to us! It is stupid and drives me bats every time I hear it (not to mention that the voice of the woman who says it is super-annoying as well). How the hell can a thing be more like itself by adding something to it?! Fuck you, Fairlife.

Or maybe, "Before, it was like watermelon, but we added Fairlife, so now it actually tastes like cereal."  Since we're doing caps, and we're annoyed, irritated, and outright enraged, STUPID!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

There is yet another one with a person blending up a smoothie. The narration (same stupid voice, I believe) says something like "strawberries, blueberries, and a cherry on top." Well, there is no cherry anywhere and who puts one "on top" of a smoothie anyway? Less annoying and enraging, but far from not annoying and enraging.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5

Speaking of which, I'm not annoyed, irritated, or outright enraged, but I am embarrassed for Ben Affleck in the new (?) Dunkin' Donuts ad with some girl with really unattractive hair.  And I don't even like Ben Affleck, but it's so bad I'm cringing.

• Like 7
On 9/18/2023 at 6:36 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I finally saw the ad y’all are talking about, and my take was that the whole point was the increasingly unexpected people showing up in the room. First the kid (who appeared to be at least a tween, if that matters), then one by one the various Progressive folks. I’m neither a fan nor hater of those Progressive ads  in general, but this one didn’t bother me more than any others. 

Is this the one with the chimney sweep and Jamie saying he's the biggest insurance agent there?  If so, I don't think there's anything inappropriate with the kid being in bed between the actors playing the parents.  Everyone was fully clothed.

• Like 4