Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Exactly my point. And I find it sad, because she doesn’t have to be a towering intellect to have her own interests in life. It just seems like she doesn’t even know who she is or what SHE likes.

I guess if you're born only to be a collector's item to your parents, and then you're either handed off to be raised by a sibling or you end up raising your own siblings from a young age, you don't get much of a chance to try things to see what you like or don't like, or what you might be good at.  It's got to be a difficult thing to do in your 20's, especially if your husband enjoys using your brain as an empty vessel to be filled with the things he likes, such as shoes, gourmet food, shoes, golf, shoes, posing, and shoes.

To me, Jinger is posing as much as Jeremy is, but in a different way - he does it because he's a pretentious douchecanoe.  She does it because Jeremy tells her that's their ticket to the fame and fortune he wants, and that he's convinced her she wants, too.

Or maybe Jinger is as smug as she looks but somehow, I don't think she even has the mental capacity to be smug - I think she's just mirroring Jeremy.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 15

Has anyone read Margaret Atwood’s “The Edible Woman?” (Her first novel, published in 1969)

If anyone is interested, it’s a fantastic book. Breaks my heart to see Jinger and other women in 2022 still struggling with this stuff. The book’s protagonist feels like she’s disappearing and stops eating little by little after getting engaged.

Would love to send it to Jinger but she’d never read it, and even if she did, she wouldn’t understand it. 😢

“Margaret Atwood's The Edible Woman is about women and their relationships to men, to society, and to food and eating. It is through food and eating that Atwood discusses a young woman's rebellion against a modern, male-dominated world. The female protagonist, Marian McAlpin, struggles between the role that society has imposed upon her and her personal definition of self; and food becomes the symbol of that struggle and her eventual rebellion.”

https://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/educational-magazines/edible-woman

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1

I think the girls in particular are raised to share their husbands interests, because he is the headship and they are to follow him. Oh, they can care about babies too, but should never forget that their spouse is more important than their children. When do they have any time to have their own interests? They are either children living under their parents roof and doing what their parents say, or married and then need to do what their husband tells them to do while also raising the kids. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I think the girls in particular are raised to share their husbands interests, because he is the headship and they are to follow him. Oh, they can care about babies too, but should never forget that their spouse is more important than their children. When do they have any time to have their own interests? They are either children living under their parents roof and doing what their parents say, or married and then need to do what their husband tells them to do while also raising the kids. 

All true, but even so all of the other daughters still seem to have a sense of self and some agency, imo. Even Joy. Dim as she is, she seems have a spark and some interests of her own, and a real friendship with Carlin. She even visits her without her headship. Jinger just seems like an empty shell, a fundie wife bot who keeps shrinking (mentally and physically) and has lost the spark and spirit she once has. 

• Love 11

I think most husbands and wives dabble in each other's interests to see what might stick. For someone like Jinger, with her development arrested and like @laurakaye stated, lack of opportunity to explore interests at younger ages, she's going to veer toward what is available. What was available at first was Jeremy and Jeremy's interests.

Jinger seems to have made friends in LA, or at least through the church and seems to socialize outside her family, with or without Jeremy more than her siblings do. I give her credit for 'making it' in LA. Its something I don't think Jill or Jessa could have done. Joy likely would have managed LA fine, because she really doesn't know what she doesn't know.

• Love 9
Just now, GeeGolly said:

I think most husbands and wives dabble in each other's interests to see what might stick. For someone like Jinger, with her development arrested and like @laurakaye stated, lack of opportunity to explore interests at younger ages, she's going to veer toward what is available. What was available at first was Jeremy and Jeremy's interests.

Jinger seems to have made friends in LA, or at least through the church and seems to socialize outside her family, with or without Jeremy more than her siblings do. I give her credit for 'making it' in LA. Its something I don't think Jill or Jessa could have done. Joy likely would have managed LA fine, because she really doesn't know what she doesn't know.

I wonder if some of the wives of Jeremy’s classmates are educated. They probably aren’t working, but a lot of preachers of Mcarthur’s ilk have wives with bachelor degrees.  

• Useful 4
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

I wonder if some of the wives of Jeremy’s classmates are educated. They probably aren’t working, but a lot of preachers of Mcarthur’s ilk have wives with bachelor degrees.  

And at first I'm guessing that likely intimidated Jinger. But we live in a society where a high school graduate could be the boss of someone with a degree. Jinger on the other hand was a TV celebrity so I'm sure more than a few were initially intimidated by her. But either way I would think by now Jinger fits in fine.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well not as bad as Janelle  Brown.  Why is there a black line through the middle of the picture?

I don't know who Janelle Brown is but I think that's a steak knife. JereME also seems incapable of telling us what he is posting photos of, which limits their utility for me, as well.

• Love 5

Since Jer tagged Jinger, I assume she made it. It's on a ceramic plate, so I figure he's at home. 

That said, I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be. I'm watching Top Chef right now. Padma would tell Jinge to pack her knives and go. 😀

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Autocorrect strikes again!
  • LOL 13

The ideas of Jinger cooking and her not eating as much can coexist together. Some individuals with eating disorders may use cooking as a way of control, by preparing elaborate meals for others and then consuming little themselves. So I can believe that Jinger cooks.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

The ideas of Jinger cooking and her not eating as much can coexist together. Some individuals with eating disorders may use cooking as a way of control, by preparing elaborate meals for others and then consuming little themselves. So I can believe that Jinger cooks.

Yep, many people with eating disorders obsess about food and cooking. 

“For people with anorexia nervosa, which has restriction at its core, this preoccupation can manifest itself in a strange desire to be near the very thing that is being avoided. Those suffering from anorexia are often obsessed with food – collecting recipes, reading articles, watching cookery shows, cooking for others and preparing meals that they themselves will not eat.

https://theconversation.com/why-people-with-eating-disorders-are-often-obsessed-with-food-77509

Edited by Cinnabon

The reason I don't think Jinger cooks much is the sheer quantity of food they seem to buy elsewhere, plus how uncomfortable and inept she has looked in the kitchen when they've tried to promote her as some sort of gifted chef. I've not forgotten those stupid fucking sleeves she wore for that one set of cooking/baking pictures that just seemed like something nobody who actually knew what they were doing would choose to wear for that activity. Oh and the only time they ever post pictures of her cooking is when they decide to revisit the Jinger is cooking persona, which never lasts long. I think if girlfriend did a lot of cooking and was good at it, the cooking pics wouldn't be so sporadic. 

I'm well aware that people with eating disorders often do cook, but I think, if that is something Jinger struggles with, that is a very separate issue from whether or not Jinger herself cooks. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Zella said:

The reason I don't think Jinger cooks much is the sheer quantity of food they seem to buy elsewhere, plus how uncomfortable and inept she has looked in the kitchen when they've tried to promote her as some sort of gifted chef. I've not forgotten those stupid fucking sleeves she wore for that one set of cooking/baking pictures that just seemed like something nobody who actually knew what they were doing would choose to wear for that activity. Oh and the only time they ever post pictures of her cooking is when they decide to revisit the Jinger is cooking persona, which never lasts long. I think if girlfriend did a lot of cooking and was good at it, the cooking pics wouldn't be so sporadic. 

I'm well aware that people with eating disorders often do cook, but I think, if that is something Jinger struggles with, that is a very separate issue from whether or not Jinger herself cooks. 

I agree, I doubt she cooks daily. Some with EDs do “live vicariously “ through others’ meals though, so who knows.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I know exactly one person IRL who follows Duggar gossip. I may see or speak to this person once or twice a year. He recently told me that Jer and Jing got a similar pay-off from JB shortly after they were married - many months before Derick's beef with JB. I can't find anything like this online. Have any of you heard anything like this?

The story is nothing like the Dillard saga. It was more like this is how JB had been doing it all along - the married kids get a lump sum, then begin collecting their pay directly from TLC.

• Useful 6

IMO, if Jinger actually ate the food they photograph themselves ordering in restaurants/fast food joints, she would not be as skinny as she is. We all know that eating out has a lot more calories than home cooked food does. In some photos posted in the past, Jinger actually looks afraid of the enormous amount of food in her plate. Perhaps a bit or two for her and that's it...followed by a lot of exercise for her. This is my opinion so far according to the photos I have seen posted here. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The story is nothing like the Dillard saga. It was more like this is how JB had been doing it all along - the married kids get a lump sum, then begin collecting their pay directly from TLC.

This sounds a lot like the rumor that all the kids would begin getting paid when they turned 18.  People speculate all around the internet and we'll likely never know the full truth.  I remember when Jinger and Jeremy got married, people were all about Jeremy would definitely negotiate their own contract because he'd actually worked and had contracts.  I would more likely believe that's what happened and then Derick found out and jumped on board.

• Love 10

Yeah I've never heard about payout for these two. I also have never personally believed they negotiated their own contract either, though that is a common enough rumor. The way they scramble (ineptly) for other funding opportunities makes me think they get the same pittance as everyone else. I don't think Jeremy learned much while gaining his business degree or during his soccer career, TBH.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

2 pictures, and most of the comments are about……..Jinger’s  shoes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcZNC6Ul8Oo/

Nike Air Max 200 - $140.  I commented on the Bates that I think some anti-abortion fundies group is subsidizing the mega-family adult children.  But I am guessing if J&J have to buy new Nikes, they sell the last pair on Ebay.  Or are getting them free from Nike.

• Useful 4
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

He's wearing a WWJD bracelet. Jesus certainly wouldn't be taking food selfies to post on SM.

The Jesus I learned about growing up would be much more concerned with the more than 66,000 homeless (including kids) in LA. He certainly would be spending time on Skid Row ministering and trying to bring them hope and comfort. I don’t recognize the “Jesus” Jeremy is referencing.

• Love 19

You mean Jesus wouldn't shove pizza in his maw and take pictures and post them so everyone can watch in fascination? He just doesn't possess the media savvy of Books. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 4

"Target" running. Lunch with Jer and the girls. "Stupid delicious" pulled pork sammies at a friend's place. 

There were more inanities, but they didn't have anything to do with food or workouts. 😀

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 6
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She didn't capitalize Target. I took it as some new workout fad. Because they're all about fads. 🙄

I read it more as a parallel list with each item a separate activity and just assumed she didn't capitalize out of laziness/ignorance. But I know very little about running and slightly more about Target, which undoubtedly influenced my reading. LMAO 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Ugh, I hate having to over analyze Jinger's poor (or lazy) writing. 🙃

The joke's probably on us for putting so much more thought into this than she ever did. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 9

i think "target run" is she went to Target. doing a costco run or target run is a common term in my area. She probably needed treats for the girls' resurrection day baskets and maybe supplies for the egg painting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Target run in LA would be went to Target.  I hope she had long ago bought what they wanted for Easter.  What was left in the Targets near them by Saturday was very pitiful.  

• Love 9