Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Hate is Real

• Start Topic

Jazz learns she needs surgery to avoid male puberty. Jeanette and Jazz decide to confront an anti-trans group that has been targeting the family, resulting in a heated public encounter. The family receives a threatening phone call

I thought there was a lot of negativity last night. One thing that really bothered  me was how Jazz's mom told her it would be $20,000 to get the hormone implant done since their new insurance doesn't cover it. I would not have felt comfortable discussing the sum with my teenager, let alone broadcasting it to the whole world. Also, the ongoing discussion about Jazz's depression and the threatening phone call made me wonder if I really want to continue watching this show.

I'm glad Jazz's dad chose not to attend the meeting (or confrontation, couldn't tell exactly what it was supposed to be). He clearly is not as comfortable as Jazz's mother is with public discussions. I am wondering how all of the media  attention and the show are affecting Jazz and her brothers now.

• Love 3

Broadcasting the amount shows how hard it is for most people to get the treatment they need based on cost. If they hadn't switched insurances yet, why didn't they make sure the surgery is done before the switch? I don't know if the father owns the firm or what, but, if he did, why would he change insurances if the new one doesn't cover Jazz's treatments?  What they are showing is how hard it is on a transgendered person and even if they are getting treatment, the treatments can make them depressed and suicidal. I'm glad Jazz is coming out of her funk enough to meet up with her friends again and hear them when they said she wasn't listening to them and how they felt. I was scared when she was trying to make herself pass out. I have a son who is suicidal sometimes and has long term depression. If he acted like that we'd be going straight to the ER. 

Poor Xander. Getting hurt and missing your last year of high school football over someone falling on you. They do seem like a tight knit, supportive family. I love seeing their love and support and how the discuss how they overcame their initial feelings and are all on board now. 

Man do those kids resemble their mom. Ari looks the most like the dad. But, those lips of Mom's are pretty prominent with the other kids. 

I'm in for the season. I want to see how Jazz handles high school.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

<snip> If they hadn't switched insurances yet, why didn't they make sure the surgery is done before the switch? I don't know if the father owns the firm or what, but, if he did, why would he change insurances if the new one doesn't cover Jazz's treatments?  <snip>

I got the impression they didn't know prior to the change in the insurance carrier/policy the issues Jazz has been experiencing is, in part, caused by the testosterone implant running its course. I think they've been lucky, thus far, that some of Jazz's treatments have been covered (at least in part) by their previous insurance. From what I've read, most people with gender dysphoria have to pay most or all of their treatment costs out-of-pocket.

• Love 4

That phone message at the end, the guy leaving it sounded like he was breathing heavily...was he masturbating or something? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone sick enough to leave such a repulsive message on a stranger's phone was getting off on it. 

• Love 2

Maybe I am just naive or very skeptical of TLC in general but if the number is unlisted how did deep sicko stranger get their number?  With a trans teen I would think that the land line would be limited to family members/doctors/etc only and anything else would be via cell phones. 

That is why I am skeptical. Not that the hate isn't real but the phone call on an unlisted number.

Feel bad for Jazz though in regards to the depression and health/insurance issues. I'm sure with the exposure she will be luckier than other trans kids and get the surgery or treatments that she needs.

(edited)

Wow, what a difference a few months make.  The overall tone of the show is much more somber and negative than the first season.  I have a daughter who is two weeks older than Jazz, so I'm no stranger to the daily (sometimes hourly) ups-and-downs, dramas and frustrations that are so typical at 15.  As tough as things are for my daughter emotionally, at school and socially at times, I believe that they're even tougher for Jazz.  I think that people attribute more maturity to her than is appropriate at this point because she's won an award, written a book, spoken to large groups, and now stars in a television show.  Given how well-spoken Jazz is, I can understand how easy it is to forget that she is still an insecure, uncertain, sensitive child at the end of the day.  Yes, it's helpful to get the word out to people about these issues, but sensitive matters such as her breast development are being discussed on national television.  There's something very unsavory to me about that.  Sometimes I wonder who the main driving force is behind the speaking engagements and this show: Jazz or her mom.  Let's put it this way: her mom seems awfully fond of the spotlight.

I think that it's an increasingly terrible idea to expose Jazz to the kind of hateful rhetoric that we know people are capable of, especially when it comes to issues like these.  I was alarmed to hear the voicemails they've received (although I suspect that might have been staged; this is TLC, after all) and absolutely disgusted to see the adults at the forum speaking to her the way they did.  I have to say, I'm Team Greg all the way.  I realize that he still approved of filming the reality show, but I align more with his measured approach than the mother's no-holds-barred way of thinking and doing things.  It's really none of my business, but I have to question their decision to continue to broadcast Jazz's life like this.  She has a really tough road ahead of her and this doesn't make it any easier.  I hope she's able to get close to her friends again.  Depression is a complex and difficult issue for adults, but I can only imagine how hard it must be for a kid who is dealing with hormones and all of the standard teen dramas.  As for Jazz's heavy breathing in the car when she said she was trying to make herself pass out, I attribute that to immaturity and attention-seeking.  If she does it regularly or for a longer period of time, I'd be more concerned.  

All-in-all, I'm definitely in for the season, but with major reservations about how this show could affect her long-term emotional development.  I feel so bad for Jazz.  I just want to give her a big hug, promise her that everything will be okay, send the cameras home, invite her girlfriends over for a slumber party, make some popcorn, and put on a silly teen movie.  I hope she has enough of that in her young life.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 12

I just googled myself and my unlisted phone number shows up on a website that is easily accessible by anyone. I can see some idiotic, ignorant dumbfuck doing this. 

I also agree that Jeanette seems to enjoy the spotlight, and I wonder how much of this Jazz does willingly and how much she does to please her mother, especially when she was still not fully recovered from her depression issues. 

The guy who had been teaching for 35 years scared me to death. I live in a super liberal area, and I have to be reminded that people like him exist, in large numbers, pretty much everywhere. I'm sure there are some transphobic people in my area, too, but they know that publicly espousing their views won't be looked upon kindly. 

The money thing bothered me as well, but I realize why they did it. I just wish that conversation could have been between the parents and not concerned Jazz. Stuff like that could possibly end up making her feel guilty, depending on how rich the Jenningses are. I don't even know what the dad does for a living. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Any time an idea was proposed - doing the town hall meeting in the first place, going ahead with it when the hate group canceled, etc. - Jazz jumped in to say yes before Jeanette said anything.  Now, since these are conversations for the camera about things that have likely already been discussed, that's not definitive proof that she, not Jeanette, is the one pushing for it, but I think this comes from Jazz.  And I think she's lucky to have the balance of Jeanette and Greg as she makes these decisions -- Jeanette accompanies her to all these things for support and supervision, knowing how desperately Jazz would have loved for something similar to have been available to her when she was younger, and Greg makes sure the "is it worth it?" analysis isn't something Jazz glosses over. 

That event was sparsely attended and largely populated by allies, so I wonder what the real timing was on the group backing out.

I chuckled at Jeanette with her glasses and her AARP membership.  And the boys with their analysis that their case of senioritis is thus far a mild one.

I missed the first ten minutes or so, and I think that means I missed some discussion about Jazz going through the recent period of pretty deep depression.  It will be interesting to see her reconnect with her friends after she isolated herself during that time.  Jazz has a wonderful family, but I think good friendships are just as invaluable.

I'm sure income from the show will easily cover having the implant replaced, and the family may have even negotiated that any medical procedures they let the show cover get paid for by the show.  The family also seems to be upper middle class, and I suspect Jeanette's parents are sitting on some cash (if Jackie didn't spend it all on her face).  So I didn't have a problem with using Jazz, rather than just the parents, to be explicit about how much these procedures cost and the fact they are not always covered by insurance.  It's a big issue, period, and especially for patients with a lot less money.  The conversation was of the "Whoever pays for it, she needs it, so we get it done and battle out reimbursement later" variety rather than "If this isn't covered, she can't have it," so I'm not worried about Jazz being made to feel guilty over this expenditure. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I don't mind a discussion of the price of the implant or that their new insurance isn't covering it, but I did mind the way it was done. Jazz may or may not have known the price, but she seemed uncomfortable with it in the car. I noticed she was kind of wringing her hands during the discussion after the phone call. For that, I would have preferred a more family interview kind of scene. Sadly, I also think they did Jazz no favors with opposing scenes of her telling the woman at the discussion panel her genitals were no one's business and then promos of that exact discussion. That's going to just give ammo to the haters. 

Mom stuck me as camera hungry last season and it's nothing different yet this episode. Holy crap, I don't even know what to make of grandma's face and hair. 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:41 AM, greekmom said:

Maybe I am just naive or very skeptical of TLC in general but if the number is unlisted how did deep sicko stranger get their number?  With a trans teen I would think that the land line would be limited to family members/doctors/etc only and anything else would be via cell phones. 

That is why I am skeptical. Not that the hate isn't real but the phone call on an unlisted number.

My first thought was that either it was someone who knows them or is close to someone who knows them, or it was a fake call.  TLC is known for lots of fakery on their shows.  The taunt from the street at the outdoor café last year when they weren't even in their own area smelled like a possible setup.  This call feels suspect.  I hope TLC isn't manufacturing drama for ratings.

The mom taking Jazz to confront that group wasn't the greatest idea, I agree with the dad.  Even with that group backing out, they still got some hate comments.  If the group had shown up, it would have been a lot uglier.  You have to wonder how much damage that does to your kid putting them out there like that when they are dealing with a lot of issues in the first place.  There's no reason for Jazz to voluntarily take all the hits for transgenders everywhere, we're talking about a teenager here.

• Love 6

....Holy crap, I don't even know what to make of grandma's face and hair. 

Aw, I Iove grandma and grandpa! They are a joy to watch.  I live in an age-restricted community and at least half of the female residents look like grandma.  I'm guessing the hair is a wig, but it's styled to high heaven.

Interesting season opener.  I'm curious if the more realistic and less positive vibe will continue.  I feel for Jazz when the twins go off to college.  I bet it's going to be hard being the only kiddo left at home. I hope we find out that things turned around and that she adjusted well during the second half of her freshman year. 

Hubby has never seen this show but we had a good discussion about the subject matter last night and I think he wants to catch some eps.  It was actually a really good discussion and I thank the show for that. 

• Love 4

I saw the episode this evening on DVR. I have to side more with Dad on Jazz's public speaking. I am in no way suggesting that Jazz hide or be ashamed of who she is, BUT there are dangerous people out there who would seriously injure her because she is transgender. Her physical safety is number 1, and having to listen to the speech calling her names like "freak" isn't good for her self image. Yes teenagers have gone through worse (I'm thinking of the Little Rock 9 who were harassed daily at school, had objects thrown at them etc), and made the world a better place, but I wouldn't want a child (or anyone) I cared about in that position. 

I think the caller may have been "re-inacted" or the message saved from another time. I thought the guy sounded like he was masturbating as well......very creepy. 

• Love 2

One thing I can tell is this. People assume that because it's classed as reality tv that the show is filmed in time sequence. I can tell you for the first season it wasn't filmed in that way. Greg drove Jazz to 'The Soccer Store' in a black car, which was only later introduced in the series. And the narration/input given by jazz, Greg and Jeanette would have been (edited in) after veiwing the footage. So episode 'themes' are organised over weeks of regular footage.

As for 'The Hate Is Real', i assume they went with this to get viewers interest. The last season started strong but dropped in numbers.If you can remember the first episode 'Season 1' aired with the boys passing and calling jazz a 'tr**** freak'. Also there has been alot of debate in the public spotlight about the toilet bill. And laws on discrimination against LGBT people. So i assume they wanted people talking about the issues facing transgender youth.

There has been a lot of positives since the first season. Jazz had her 15th birthday, started a new school where her brothers attending there final year. We could have seen how things were going with boys.Like say, with John Palmtree, she had close friendships and new year celebrations. Yet, the show started on a negative note. Death threats, haters, depression,pills and financial issues.

At least, I hope it can't get any more doom and gloom than it already is. Only brighter skies, and storms clearing to come. Fingers crossed

• Love 2
On 6/10/2016 at 0:09 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I just googled myself and my unlisted phone number shows up on a website that is easily accessible by anyone. I can see some idiotic, ignorant dumbfuck doing this. 

I also agree that Jeanette seems to enjoy the spotlight, and I wonder how much of this Jazz does willingly and how much she does to please her mother, especially when she was still not fully recovered from her depression issues. 

The guy who had been teaching for 35 years scared me to death. I live in a super liberal area, and I have to be reminded that people like him exist, in large numbers, pretty much everywhere. I'm sure there are some transphobic people in my area, too, but they know that publicly espousing their views won't be looked upon kindly. 

The money thing bothered me as well, but I realize why they did it. I just wish that conversation could have been between the parents and not concerned Jazz. Stuff like that could possibly end up making her feel guilty, depending on how rich the Jenningses are. I don't even know what the dad does for a living. 

Greg works as an attorney. He's on a good salary but, they have an big house in an expensive area. Also, Jeanette doesn't work. But ari, sander and griffen have had part time jobs. An lot of money has been put towards college funds.

They're nice people and have always just wanted to be seen as an ordinary american family

• Love 2
(edited)

My heart aches for Jazz.  That woman who called her a freak at the meeting was pretty much shamed for saying that.  Notice she walked out after she was done with the mic.  I recognized at least one woman in the audience as someone who was seen on I am Cait.  I am not at all surprised that the "Liberty" hate group backed out.  Cowards they are.

I worry very much for Jazz and her safety.  Her mental health is a concern as well.  I know she has had a public face for a long time and wants to educate people - but she knows she has a long, long ways to go.  Transphobia is rampant - there is so much ignorance out there it is heartbreaking. 

Edited by Bajovane
  • Love 9

Dad was 100% right though- Jazz and her family are NEVER going to change the minds of hate groups like The "Liberty" Council (what a name) and its like,  the Westboro Baptist Church. These people are narrow-minded bigots who spew hate and blindly follow their leaders. Much smarter to try to engage in conversations with more moderate groups. Also, I teach PreK and would not want to have Jazz's book in my class. Don't get me wrong- I have no doubt that Jazz is a girl and I applaud her family for supporting her, but 4 and 5 year olds are a bit young for that discussion in a school setting. I would talk to my own children at 4 or 5 or 6 about it, but not as a teacher. Other thought about that?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bajovane said:

My heart aches for Jazz.  That woman who called her a freak at the meeting was pretty much shamed for saying that.  Notice she walked out after she was done with the mic.  I recognized at least one woman in the audience as someone who was seen on I am Cait.  I am not at all surprised that the "Liberty" hate group backed out.  Cowards they are.

I worry very much for Jazz and her safety.  Her mental health is a concern as well.  I know she has had a public face for a long time and wants to educate people - but she knows she has a long, long ways to go.  Transphobia is rampant - there is so much ignorance out there it is heartbreaking. 

Yeah, they probably realized exposure on national television wouldn't do their brand a lot of good. 

I recognized that woman - from "Botched." Slinking away in well-deserved embarrassment...

Edited by RealityCowgirl

Yes that media whore has been on I Am Cait, Botched and 20 other shows so I laughed seeing her in the audience- ANYTHING to be on TV, I bet she drove 6 hours to get there or more, lol.

I can imagine she is depressed wondering why she was not just made a female and why she has to go through all of this. It must be so so so hard. She kept saying My Body is Crap. I felt so bad for her.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

You don't have to jump down her throat.  I think Jazz is a sweet wonderful  young woman and she wrote a book that was just published with her birth name.  

I haven't seen her book and didn't know that. Maybe people should make that clear so people like myself don't assume other things.

1 hour ago, stillhere1900 said:

Thank you Caracoa1.

Sorry. I didn't mean to jump to conclusions. After what happened in Orlando I've been really upset so I jumped down your throat instead of asking you why you posed that question.

• Love 2
(edited)

I still wonder how someone got their number as Jennings is not their real last name. They keep their real name private for security. I don't think they ever told us Jazz's boy name.

Edited to add: I'm a research junkie. I found it on internet. Her birth name was Jared. 

Edited by Mom2twoNonna2one

You are welcome Stillhere1900. I feel a little dirty for looking it up. I'm starting to remember that maybe they did tell us and if they wanted it secret, they would have kept it that way like their real last name. I'm glad that so far I haven't heard of anyone outing their real last name. 

I teach PreK and would not want to have Jazz's book in my class. Don't get me wrong- I have no doubt that Jazz is a girl and I applaud her family for supporting her, but 4 and 5 year olds are a bit young for that discussion in a school setting. I would talk to my own children at 4 or 5 or 6 about it, but not as a teacher. Other thought about that?

I started watching this because my cousin has an adult child who is ftm transgender.  He waited until he was about to graduate from college before beginning the hormones.  I think unless young children have a family member or someone else that they see regularly like a school mate that this discussion is unnecessary at that age.  It was difficult enough for an 8 and 10 year old.  One of the hardest parts was adjusting to the switch in pronouns; he finally got it into his head that it was difficult to make the switch on a consistent basis; the transgender thoughts had been in his head for years before he told anyone.

I am beginning to be depressed by this show.  I love the grands, but I am not sure about the wisdom of continuing the show. In general, I find it   troubling to have minor children on reality type shows.  

2 hours ago, Twopper said:

I started watching this because my cousin has an adult child who is ftm transgender.  He waited until he was about to graduate from college before beginning the hormones.  I think unless young children have a family member or someone else that they see regularly like a school mate that this discussion is unnecessary at that age.  It was difficult enough for an 8 and 10 year old.  One of the hardest parts was adjusting to the switch in pronouns; he finally got it into his head that it was difficult to make the switch on a consistent basis; the transgender thoughts had been in his head for years before he told anyone.

I am beginning to be depressed by this show.  I love the grands, but I am not sure about the wisdom of continuing the show. In general, I find it   troubling to have minor children on reality type shows.  

Jazz has been in the public eye for a decade and decided to do this show to raise more awareness. Also, the idea of shielding kids from the world around them IMO isn't helpful for those kids and their understanding of every facet of humanity. The only thing that makes it difficult for kids to understand transgender people/issues is the adults around them having issues with the spectrum that makes up gender identity i.e. misgendering/misnaming transgender people and the like.

Also, the earlier one intervenes with hormones the easier it is for them to exist in the world and Jazz and her parents should be applauded for showing other parents how to behave if they do have a transgender child. Is it hard for kids who are LGBTQ YES, however, it will get easier if more people become aware and this show is helping that along.

• Love 2

Have they mentioned if Jazz is in therapy? They only mention the hormones and the antidepressants, but therapy would probably be hugely helpful for her and I've never heard them mention it. 

1 hour ago, corgster said:

Have they mentioned if Jazz is in therapy? They only mention the hormones and the antidepressants, but therapy would probably be hugely helpful for her and I've never heard them mention it. 

They have mentioned it and shown her at her therapist in another episode.

• Love 1

Overall I applaud Jazz for being willing to be so public.  I am sure it is helpful to other young transgender people.  At the same time, I don't like having children on reality TV.  Adults know what they are signing up for and still often have being on shows do much more harm than good.  Children cannot make that choice on their own.  I would rather they did the occasional special which would allow for better editing and less need to compete as reality TV/create situations for "better" TV. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They have mentioned it and shown her at her therapist in another episode.

Thats good to hear. Thanks for the answer.I hope she finds peace with herself.