Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Possibilites

• Start Topic

Feels like more table setting. At least the angels reveal themselves to Cassidy, though the "Angels As A-holes" narrative has more or less been co-opted by Supernatural, even though Preacher came first.

Reading the recap . . . anybody else think of Ted merely as Chet from Childrens Hospital? Man, that guy was annoying.

At least we have a little more info about why Tulip's harassing Jesse, but she's still annoying.

I laughed at how everyone kept making fun of the guy with the broken arm.  I wonder if what's in Jesse is corrupting him.  He almost killed a member of his congregation!  This will definitely come back and haunt him.

I hope Cassidy kills the cowboys once every episode in hilarious ways.  I was not expecting the kill this episode.

• Love 2

I don't know why I'm still watching this, other than the fact that I like Dominic Cooper.  I realize Tulip is his RL live-in, but I've had enough of her.  Boring and one-note, I FF all of her stuff now (starting with that meaningless traffic stop), and don't miss a thing.  Why is Lucy Griffiths even in this?  She must be desperate for work.

• Love 1

"It's the Bunnyman!" Maybe if the kids are nice he'll sing "The Cutter" for them.

I am completely over Tulip. I was kind of hoping that the officer who pulled her over would shoot her.

Between Cassidy, the Government Men, and Sheriff Mumbledrawl, there's a dire need for more subtitles.

Cassidy running over the Government Men caught me completely by surprise. Made me laugh.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

"It's the Bunnyman!" Maybe if the kids are nice he'll sing "The Cutter" for them.

I am completely over Tulip. I was kind of hoping that the officer who pulled her over would shoot her.

Between Cassidy, the Government Men, and Sheriff Mumbledrawl, there's a dire need for more subtitles.

Cassidy running over the Government Men caught me completely by surprise. Made me laugh.

I'm from Texas, so I understand the sheriff just fine, but even with all the British shows I watch, I still can only understand half of what Cassidy says and almost none of what the taller Government Man says. Are their accents really that thick, or is there a problem with the audio track?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love this show, and I enjoyed this episode. Lots of glimpses into the dark places our characters visit within themselves, and the varying degrees to which they actually want to revisit their own dark sides. I like it!

• Love 11

After watching Warcraft earlier today, it was kind of fun seeing and comparing Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga's interactions here and in that film. They must enjoying working together!

Hey, they gave the show opening credits this time!  Nice!

I enjoyed this episode, but honestly, despite my love for Dominic Cooper, I realized tonight that my favorite parts are actually the stuff with Cassidy and the Government, Angels (?) guys, and not Jesse.  I think it might just be that, right now, Jesse seems to be going through the typical "will the power corrupt him and how far can be push it?" stuff, that I have seen before.  On the other hand, I don't know what the fuck is going on with the Government guys, but I want to know more.  Plus, Cassidy brings humor to it.  I about died when he ran over them and his reaction to them coming back to life.

Actually, I will say that I did enjoy the Jesse scene, when he was testing his powers out and making Cassidy do goofy stuff.  So, maybe it's just I prefer Jesse when he gets to be more humorous, instead of moping around and letting Tulip browbeat him all the time.

Jackie Earle Haley is still around and still being creepy, I see.

The showing actually showing Tom Cruise's funeral was a nice touch.  I wonder what really guy thinks about all this?  He isn't known for having the best sense of humor ever....

• Love 6

Originally, I thought Tulip would be my favorite character, but I am over her, too. Cassidy has become my favorite, mostly due to the actor's delivery, he's really fun. Don't know how long I'll be able to stick with this, it's not really grabbing me, and some really good stuff is coming up on PBS. Yeah, I'm old.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

After watching Warcraft earlier today, it was kind of fun seeing and comparing Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga's interactions here and in that film. They must enjoying working together!

Hey, they gave the show opening credits this time!  Nice!

I enjoyed this episode, but honestly, despite my love for Dominic Cooper, I realized tonight that my favorite parts are actually the stuff with Cassidy and the Government, Angels (?) guys, and not Jesse.  I think it might just be that, right now, Jesse seems to be going through the typical "will the power corrupt him and how far can be push it?" stuff, that I have seen before.  On the other hand, I don't know what the fuck is going on with the Government guys, but I want to know more.  Plus, Cassidy brings humor to it.  I about died when he ran over them and his reaction to them coming back to life.

Actually, I will say that I did enjoy the Jesse scene, when he was testing his powers out and making Cassidy do goofy stuff.  So, maybe it's just I prefer Jesse when he gets to be more humorous, instead of moping around and letting Tulip browbeat him all the time.

Jackie Earle Haley is still around and still being creepy, I see.

The showing actually showing Tom Cruise's funeral was a nice touch.  I wonder what really guy thinks about all this?  He isn't known for having the best sense of humor ever....

I don't know how Tom would react to it.  His death was a result of a surplus of faith, so I don't think of it as altogether derogatory towards him.  Maybe the producers don't like him, but I don't see the death as being meant as a dig against him.

12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

At least the angels reveal themselves to Cassidy, though the "Angels As A-holes" narrative has more or less been co-opted by Supernatural, even though Preacher came first.

It's not as if the concept was invented by Garth Ennis, though. That take on Heaven/Angels was being explored in Hellblazer almost a decade earlier, and I recall movies from long before dealing with sinister implications for the source of religion.

(edited)

Good God, in the 4th Century, Augustine of Hippo was writing about Lucifer as a fallen angel, jealous of God's power.  Milton wrote about it in Paradise Lost.  Good luck finding the original idea of finding angels as jealous, unbalanced imps.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 5

I think I'm glad I never read the comics. I come to the series with no ideas about what the characters should be like or how the storylines should play out. I'm enjoying the show so far. I don't have any trouble understanding the accents, even Cassidy's, though I do occasionally have a bit of trouble understanding character motivations. I have hope that those cloudy motivations will clear up in future episodes.

• Love 6
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, PreviouslyTV said:

And several other chili-cheese flavored questions raised by Preacher's third episode.

View the full article

Not much I can add to this.  You echoed most of the thoughts and feelings I had about this episode.  Overall, it was better than EP 2, but not as good as EP 1.  I'm still in, but I'm going to reiterate the other posters calling for Tulip to buy the farm.  Gods, I haven't had a female lead annoy the everloving crap outta me as much as this since...Katrina in Sleepy Hollow and Juliette in Grimm.  Most of the viewers of those shows agreed, as they seem to about Tulip, and it tanked their ratings when the showrunners wouldn't mid-course correct. 

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 2

I love Tulip, but I think I'd like it better if I got to see the scrappy, ass-kicking, bazooka-improvising, teaching-kids-inappropriately-violent-skills Tulip from the pilot again. That's not to say she has to be violent 100% of the time (I really liked her scene when she was pulled over by the state trooper), but I feel like I need to see her DOING things, not just talking about doing things.

Incidentally, the leisurely-paced-story issue is not unique to this show. It is a frequent problem on Game of Thrones: they have to set up for future action, so they spend three episodes following seven different lines of conversation before we get to the battles and murders. If I can deal with it for GoT and The Americans, I can do the same for Preacher.

Still enjoyed this episode. I didn't read the comics, so based on Tulip's reference to Carlos as a "child killer," I'm speculating whether Jesse and Tulip had a child together that was killed by Carlos, which would explain why Jesse abandons his moral high ground and jumps into the car with Tulip when she presents him with the address.

• Love 5

Welp, this one wasn't too bad. I do like Jesse learning his powers and Cassidy clearly planning to play both sides against the middle. Hey, anything to get the vampire hunters off his back, right? And the two Government Men are entertaining enough. 

Does anybody get the distinct impression the show isn't too sure what to do with some of the characters, though? The Sheriff's monologue to the G men and the whole scene with Tulip and the trooper felt like they should be character scenes, where we learn something new about their pasts or motivation or something, but...they felt like weird short films by students who didn't write a second draft of the scripts more then anything organic to the story. Like some of the American Horror Story writers dropped off some random script pages they never got around to shooting? You know?

I am trying to like Tulip, I really am--but I still am not getting the slightest  vibe of angry sex desire or mutual rage against whoever Carlos is or longing for the wild shared past or anything that would make her and Jesse's scenes interesting to watch. All I get is a man who really, truly wants this fucking nutjob to piss off and leave him the hell alone and I don't blame him a bit.

It doesn't help that Tulip is so damn focused on Jesse Jesse Jesse Jesse I Wrote His Name Six Thousand Times In My Trapper Keeper JEEEEEEESSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE, either. She doesn't come across as driven by lust or vengeance, she comes off as the kind of tiring looney who texts you sixty thousand times a day to see if you got her last five thousand nine hundred ninety nine texts. Again, it's not the acting so much as this actor is basically being asked to perform the equivalent of a hologram--there's no there there for her motivation.

Now, as to the literalness of the Voice: THIS is something I can really get behind as a concept! Because it's clear, at least so far, that Jesse can't truly create or alter reality or matter--Cassidy didn't magically "know" the governor of Texas just because he was asked. I'm guessing he can't order Coma Girl to repair her own brain or grow a new skull, either, or for Cas to not catch on fire or stop being a vampire. The magic of language and meaning as translated into the absolute reality of literal orders? Yes. Endlessly fascinating and inventive, hopefully.

• Love 8

I find that I really like the actress they cast as Tulip and I like her as far as what we've been given.  You're right, there is something missing in her motivation.  I think that doesn't bother me as much on this show because it's so "action cartoon" that I'm used to characters with limited motivation or depth.  The actress gets that across perfectly to me.  (It's like Jessica Jones which annoyed me because it teetered even closer to needing more depth, less cartoony, and never gave it to us.  Whereas, Banshee, I think, hit the mark perfectly.  Their problem was they didn't have an "original source" to go to when they started killing off characters.  At least having a bible to refer to can help you predict what will work and what won't.  They lost me third season with a character death that ruined the series for me.  (For those who watched it, I left when they killed off Siobhan.  I stayed for a while but it was so awful when they focussed on the Ken and Barbie show that I couldn't watch anymore.  That artistic decision was a bad one, imo.))

• Love 2

I must say this is quickly becoming my favorite show for the summer!  I am really enjoying all these characters and have already picked out some of my favs.

Having said that some are starting to bore me a bit, mainly Tulip.  I'm unsure as to why she needs Jesse so damn bad to pull off this revenge stuff.  At least I think that's what it is.  Unless there is more that hasn't been revealed yet.  Enh, she seemed like such a fun/interesting character to get to know in the pilot but now she's been reduced to Jesse, Jesse, Jesse stuff and it's starting to bug!

Other than that hooray to AMC, I think they have another hit!

• Love 2
On 6/12/2016 at 10:37 PM, Sandman87 said:

On 6/13/2016 at 0:14 AM, La Tortuga said:

I'm from Texas, so I understand the sheriff just fine, but even with all the British shows I watch, I still can only understand half of what Cassidy says and almost none of what the taller Government Man says. Are their accents really that thick, or is there a problem with the audio track?

I don't have a problem understanding anybody.  Maybe I have a better audio feed.

I like Tulip, but they need to give her something better to do than plead with Jesse.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Morgan of Hed said:

I like Tulip, but they need to give her something better to do than plead with Jesse.

Yes, her whining, pleading, and bunny-boiling with Jesse has made her annoying and unlikeable.  But I think the problem goes deeper than that.  Even in her Tulip-centric scenes--talking with Dany on the park bench, playing poker in the whore house, and talking with the highway patrolman who stopped her for speeding--are lifeless and uninteresting.  I don't think the problem lies with the actress herself, because I found her delightful in all of her extended scenes in the pilot episode--the car chase/fighting through the cornfield and all of her interactions with the children. 

Since the writers joined her storyline to Jesse's they seem to have lost their original vision of the character we saw in the pilot, because this is not the same character: from exciting and interesting to boring and annoying in the span of 3 episodes doesn't bode well, I think.

• Love 1

I'm pissy because that first episode was such a kicker and the next two seem so lifeless to me in comparison.

I'm out but that's fine - Hope everyone keeps enjoying it!

If Tulip were a man, the showrunners might see what a smug, insufferable, obnoxious, one-note, cartoonish character they've created. But I guess the fact that she's female is supposed to make those attributes cool?

Personally, I'm tired of the trope of the kick-ass woman warrior, but if you're going to go that route, at least make her relatable as a human being.

I feel like Tulip is conveying not just anger or stubbornness, but some actual hurt. When she and Jesse argue for the umpteenth time and he leaves her at the gas station, the way she says she's not leaving without him makes me think there's a deeper pain there that she can't alleviate on her own. Between that, the way she talks about Jesse in the traffic stop scene, and her flashback scenes (she looks so terrified and blindsided when the speeding car takes off without her), I'm incredibly curious as to what is motivating her to kill Carlos and what role Jesse has to play beyond the muscle or the wheelman.

The problem, I think, is that the writers are taking their sweet time to get us there because they want to explore Jesse's journey as he tries to save the town, in addition to all the other ongoing storylines they're trying to set up at the same time. That doesn't leave Tulip with a whole lot to do while she's waiting for Jesse to change his mind, not unless she's going to strike out on her own (which she's obviously not, otherwise she'd have taken a hint by now). It actually might have been better for the story to introduce her later in the season, or make her take longer to find Jesse, if they couldn't figure out what to do with her now, but I guess you can't wait that long to introduce your lead actress on a television show.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Morgan of Hed said:

I still can only understand half of what Cassidy says and almost none of what the taller Government Man says. Are their accents really that thick, or is there a problem with the audio track?

Well thank gawd I'm not the only one =)  I have a bit of trouble understanding them as well.  Not so much if they are only saying one or two sentences but if they are speaking exceptionally fast (that rapid fire style of dialogue).   I can usually catch what they mean generally but if it is something important that I need to hear every word of what they are saying then it's a little difficult for me.  I think it may be the accent being so thick *shrug* so I have to turn on the subtitles sometimes to understand them completely.

I have to use closed captioning for Cassidy, but just turning the sound up suffices for the Government Men. Although, it sounds like their accents have been bouncing all over the place to me. From indeterminate early on, to faux Texan when speaking to the Sheriff, and then British when speaking to Cassidy and amongst themselves in the motel room. I'm not sure if that's supposed to indicate different people perceive them differently, or if whoever supervises continuity was bitten by a rattlesnake early on and hasn't been replaced.

• Love 2

I'm wondering something: in the pilot, Tulip was trying to get Jesse to pull a job with her that required the use of the map--the job to end all jobs. But in episode 3, all she does is turn the map over to Danni the middle-woman, who gives it to someone else. Presumably Tulip went after the map because she was commissioned to do it; she doesn't seem to know what it's for. So... what was the actual job for which she needed Jesse in the first place? Was she lying about that part just so she'd have some excuse to get Jesse to leave town with her? Or is there an actual job that she is (or was) planning to do and for which she needs a partner?

• Love 2

I want to like Tulip, but something about her doesn't quite click... Cassidy running over the Government Men/Angels caught me completely by surprise and made me laugh. Now we know why they keep coming back. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble understanding what is being said.

12 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I want to like Tulip, but something about her doesn't quite click... Cassidy running over the Government Men/Angels caught me completely by surprise and made me laugh. Now we know why they keep coming back. I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble understanding what is being said.

I had to rely on closed captioning for Cassidy :)