Type keyword(s) to search

Housewifely Media: Clips, Previews, Reviews and Articles

They couldn't even spell the name of the town right on the map they showed plus other geographical errors.  And not one shot of actual Westport either.  From the "Westport Now" website:

http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v3/comments/spelling_and_geographically-challenged_american_housewife_debuts/

This from today's entry/review of the show from the above posted blog.  The comments are priceless:

https://06880danwoog.com/2016/10/11/fat-housewife-review-is-far-from-phat/

Edited by Snarklepuss

I'm out. I wanted to like the show. Katy Mixon was often the best thing about "Mike & Molly," especially after they made Molly a shrew, and I like her. But her character here is unlikable, and I'm already tired of her constant victimhood; no one is paying that much attention to you.  

The Alex P Keaton wannabe is nasty and without Michael J Fox's charm.

I do admire the show for using the "f" word -- fat -- so freely. That is empowering. 

• Love 1

I was surprised when this show got a full season pickup. It's getting worse every week. I enjoyed the pilot. I thought it had potential. Katie gets more annoying by the week. Nobody seems to care enough about it to even start a topic for this week's episode. 

So ABC just released next year's schedule, and American Housewife is moving to Wednesdays at 9:30. While the Modern Family lead-in isn't what it used to be, that's a pretty big show of confidence by the network. They obviously think this show can become an even bigger hit, a la Blackish.

I'll miss the Middle/AH pairing, though. I think those shows were well suited to each other.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

So ABC just released next year's schedule, and American Housewife is moving to Wednesdays at 9:30. While the Modern Family lead-in isn't what it used to be, that's a pretty big show of confidence by the network. They obviously think this show can become an even bigger hit, a la Blackish.

I'll miss the Middle/AH pairing, though. I think those shows were well suited to each other.

I think the problem is, next year might be The Middle's last year, and they don't want to do a ratings bump because people would be tuning in for AH and that would be a ratings bump for The Middle. While with MF, they are getting two more years to right now be set to end in the spring of 2019. Hence, ratings bumps or not, Modern Family isn't going anywhere for two years.  Both shows are becoming expensive to make and we know that The MIddle has been questioned if it got renewed for the last two years. This year it was given an early green light, but only one more season verses Modern Family or The Goldbergs that are getting at least two seasons. 

11 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I thought of a few folks in this forum when I saw this headline:

ABC: 'American Housewife' will stop mocking Connecticut city

I saw this earlier today and found it very interesting. I mean, I do get why Norwalk would be insulted. But I'm unclear on why the show is suddenly concerned about insulting a town or its kids or residents. Westport isn't a fictional town. So, they'll lay off Norwalk, but it's still open season on all things Westport?

On 11/29/2017 at 4:32 PM, crimsongrl said:

I thought of a few folks in this forum when I saw this headline:

ABC: 'American Housewife' will stop mocking Connecticut city

Thank you, I just saw this and I'm not surprised at all and I'm glad that Norwalk residents spoke out about this.  I lived in Norwalk for 5 years and was very insulted by this bashing, especially by the "pregnant prom girl" thing because it's just not true plus it seemed mean spirited.  I posted my feelings about this in the episode thread.  I put up with the Norwalk bashing for a while and wasn't too thrilled, but then they really went over the line.

21 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

I saw this earlier today and found it very interesting. I mean, I do get why Norwalk would be insulted. But I'm unclear on why the show is suddenly concerned about insulting a town or its kids or residents. Westport isn't a fictional town. So, they'll lay off Norwalk, but it's still open season on all things Westport?

I agree with you about that but I think the only reason they're laying off Norwalk is that people got upset about it.  Perhaps there haven't been that many people upset about the depiction of Westport yet to make them change their ways.  Or perhaps they will adopt a no-bashing policy towards Westport too now.  I do think the insult to Norwalk was even worse than anything they've said about Westport so far, but IMO they have still been pretty unfair, most recently depicting the school principal as being easily bribed to do something unethical.  This is why I have said over and over again like a broken record on the episode threads that they should have chosen fictitious names for the towns if they were going to bash them, otherwise just don't do it.

Edited by Snarklepuss

Yeah, I saw the mayor, the principal and the town spoke up. That's what confused me. The show seems responsive to getting called a bully. But they insult Westport constantly. They have to realize the same  It never made sense to choose a real town given how they were going to be denigrating the town. And while I do think the one line about Norwalk was probably the meanest joke they've told on the show about the two towns, I think the Westport stuff is way worse than the Norwalk stuff because of the sheer number of digs they constantly make at Westport. Norwalk mentions have been minimal in comparison to Katie ranting and raving about how terrible everyone in Westport is in basically every single scene.  Remember that the original name of this show is The Second Fattest Housewife in Westport.

I do watch this show and I like it a lot. I also know Westport and Norwalk and have friends or family in both areas. I view this show as completely fictitious including their depictions of the towns because I do know both places and can easily separate the two. But I'm sure there are plenty who don't know either area who now have opinions on both because of the show that aren't great, which is a shame.

The true problem I have with all of it is that there is literally no reason that I see that they couldn't have easily just said this was based in Fake Town, CT in Fairfield County and called it a day. It would have given them the general location they wanted without focusing in and constantly insulting any one real place. Not saying people wouldn't be like, oh, I think they mean this town to be Westport, but there's several nearby places in Fairfield like Greenwich, Darien, or New Canaan that have similar wealth and could easily make it unclear which town the fictional one is based on.

Edited by JasmineFlower
On 12/1/2017 at 10:40 AM, JasmineFlower said:

The true problem I have with all of it is that there is literally no reason that I see that they couldn't have easily just said this was based in Fake Town, CT in Fairfield County and called it a day. It would have given them the general location they wanted without focusing in and constantly insulting any one real place. Not saying people wouldn't be like, oh, I think they mean this town to be Westport, but there's several nearby places in Fairfield like Greenwich, Darien, or New Canaan that have similar wealth and could easily make it unclear which town the fictional one is based on.

Remember "The Stepford Wives"?  That was set in the fictitious Connecticut town of Stepford.  At least the writers of that movie had the sense not to name the place after a real town.  Everyone always theorized that it was based on the real town of Darien, which is between Norwalk and Stamford (get it -Stepford, just a step away from Stamford.)  But at least no one got insulted as a result!

The thing is that Norwalk is no less a wonderful place to live than any other town in that area but now I'm sure a lot of people that don't know the place have a very different impression.

• Love 2
On 12/2/2017 at 11:37 PM, Snarklepuss said:

Remember "The Stepford Wives"?  That was set in the fictitious Connecticut town of Stepford.  At least the writers of that movie had the sense not to name the place after a real town.  Everyone always theorized that it was based on the real town of Darien, which is between Norwalk and Stamford (get it -Stepford, just a step away from Stamford.)  But at least no one got insulted as a result!

The thing is that Norwalk is no less a wonderful place to live than any other town in that area but now I'm sure a lot of people that don't know the place have a very different impression.

I agree, and considering I have also known people who live in the area. It drives me crazy on the insults at times, because it is too much at times. Not comparing apples to oranges with The Middle. But at least that is a fictional town. Makes fun of small town, Midwestern people, but when it falls on short sighted views. At least you can hand wave it. With American Housewife it comes to the point where not only is Katie just super mean about everything. No one has half a brain about other thing from the rich to even Oliver who you want to smack him sometimes because his "selling out" attitude, it more like a stupid teen who is not only embarresed by his family, but acts like being like these bitchy rich people is a great way to live. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

I see this show is on the bubble. I really like it. I hope it gets renewed. 

TV shows on the bubble

Oh no!!   I thought this show was safe already.  Dang.  I really hope it gets renewed.  It's one of the best comedies ABC has.  (By far!) Especially with The Middle ending. 

• Love 1

Yay! I'm so happy...this, Fresh off the Boat, B99. I need these comedies after my long days, so I'm thrilled they are sticking around a bit longer. I love this show.

• Love 1

Spinoff ‘Schooled’ To Air Behind ‘The Goldbergs’, ‘American Housewife’ Moves To Tuesday

No surprise here — ABC’s new comedy series Schooled, a spinoff of the the network’s hit The Goldbergs, will follow the mothership series on the schedule. Schooled will premiere on Jan. 9 and will air Wednesdays at 8:30 PM behind The Goldbergs. Schooled‘s arrival will displace comedy American Housewife, which currently airs in the Wednesdays 8:30 PM time period. Beginning Feb. 5, the family comedy starring Katy Mixon will relocate to the Tuesday 8 PM anchor slot, which will became vacant after The Conners wraps its 11-episode run.

• Love 1
Just now, readster said:

I know, and if they are going to give Bless this Mess another season, Splitting Up is gone, which I'm happy about.

I just had to endure the cancellation of "Murphy Brown", "The Kids are Alright" and "The Cool Kids".  Now I'm worrying about "The Orville".

3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I just had to endure the cancellation of "Murphy Brown", "The Kids are Alright" and "The Cool Kids".  Now I'm worrying about "The Orville".

Yeah, The Kids are Alright got the shaft, seriously. Plus, Murphy Brown revival was good. We get another year of Will and Grace, but MB and Cool Kids get the shaft. Of course Mom got two more years because the ratings went up and Big Bang is ending (sniff). 

• Love 2

Yeah, you have to wonder if moving House Wife is a plan on getting ratings to kill off Fresh off the Boat or if ABC is really seeing if the show is worth keeping around after next year. 

On 1/8/2020 at 1:44 PM, paulvdb said:

Midseason move

American Housewife will move to Wednesdays starting March 18. First at 9.30 and it moves to 9.00 on April 15, the week after Modern Family's series finale.

I guess ABC finally got it is a show worth keeping around. People actually watch it no matter where it goes. Moving it to Friday wasn't the smartest move and since Modern Family is finally going away and early it looks like since it's having such an early wrap up. They will keep it around, especially since Fresh off the Boat is also ending probably around the same time and has been confirmed to end after they are done with the season. 

ABC got a clue. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

image.png.6c5184da3ba827522d1f9646654d62bc.png

Hmmm

That is a "hmm" far as we know the show is coming back next season. I was wondering if it's more the fact they never got to finish episode 21. 

• Useful 1