Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

CocoaGoddess, have you seen the pictures of Christina's new decorating she's done in their home? I follow them on FB and she posted some pictures there. I assume they are also on her blog. They are ANYTHING but builder grade - very taste specific and out there.

I complained about Tarek's tile work somewhere upthread and had to laugh at the last episode I saw where they were flipping the house with Pete in the gated community (that might have been a rerun) and in a scene both Christina and Pete were giving Tarek a very hard time about his very messy tile work.

Re: the unpermitted stuff - very common in the LA area, particularly in mid- to lower-priced houses. It is SO expensive to find a new house that it is just easier to add on a new room "on the sly." They don't usually mention the permitting process on FoF, except as "is this addition permitted?" but I have yet to see a reno on this show that would not require permits and inspections. Depending on the municipality issuing the permits, it takes between 4 and 12 weeks to get a full set of permits, more if you have to argue structure with them (a friend of mine with a $200,000 reno on a $600,000 house is going on 6 months).

Last night's show was a new episode. I thought the drama with Pete was over done to the point of being fake. They've worked together too long. Producers - cut it out, it's not necessary. I like the show just fine watching the reno and design.

• Love 6

At one time I really liked the show.  Don't watch it as much any longer  because I got tired of Tarek whining on every show that they must sell this home fast as if they would not have food on the table if it didn't sell. As if they were depending on this sale to survive.

Last night's show was a new episode. I thought the drama with Pete was over done to the point of being fake. They've worked together too long. Producers - cut it out, it's not necessary. I like the show just fine watching the reno and design.

The house was nice, but was it $1.4 million nice? Yes, there were 5 pretty spacious bedrooms, but otherwise, nothing about the house blew me away. It must have been the gated community that made it so appealing. In the words of John McClane in the first Die Hard: "California."

I know the drama is fake, but I loved it when Pete started yelling at Tarek about the fact that the house was supposed to have been finished weeks ago, and Tarek rolls his eyes and gives this look like, "Yeah, whatever, man." Not that he didn't care, but he wasn't going to waste his energy on trying to comfort Pete. 

If they're now calling their company "T & C Design and Construction," then why were they still using Dave (?), who has his own construction company? And does this mean they won't use Izzy anymore? 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

They were in Santa Ana, Ca & had an asking price of $419,900. It was a 3 bedroom & 1 bathroom house and they got it for the full asking price. The house looked nice after the flip. Although, I would have gone with white cabinets since it was a small kitchen. Are people crazy? It only had one bathroom and it was small with just a tub & shower in one. They "made" a profit of $48,500.

• Love 1

They were in Santa Ana, Ca & had an asking price of $419,900. It was a 3 bedroom & 1 bathroom house and they got it for the full asking price. The house looked nice after the flip. Although, I would have gone with white cabinets since it was a small kitchen. Are people crazy? It only had one bathroom and it wasall with just a tub & shower in one. They "made" a profit of $48,500.

It's SoCal. I loved the kitchen Location x 3.

They were in Santa Ana, Ca & had an asking price of $419,900. It was a 3 bedroom & 1 bathroom house and they got it for the full asking price. The house looked nice after the flip. Although, I would have gone with white cabinets since it was a small kitchen. Are people crazy? It only had one bathroom and it wasall with just a tub & shower in one. They "made" a profit of $48,500.

It's SoCal. I loved the kitchen Location x 3.

I've been home sick for three days and ended up zoned in front of about six eps in a row, hoping to see a "flop". I'd be more interested if there were a flop once in a while! Just saying.

Anyway, do people really, really like the exact same finishes in the kitchen and in the bathroom? I sure don't -- those are different experiences for me. The people walking through ALWAYS comment on oh, how awesome, it ties it all together! And I'm thinking...I don't want to be reminded of the last big dump I took when I am at the kitchen counter preparing dinner. Christina has ONE design aesthetic and it is imposed on every house. It appears to work, so more power to her, I guess. 

$420K for ONE BATHROOM? Unless that's on the beach in Malibu or on Coronado Island, no way. At least a bath and a half is as much a requirement as an accent border in the shower or some soon-to-die flowers planted at the entry for "curbside appeal", at that price point. And I've been a homeowner in San Diego and currently live in the burbs north of L.A., so I'm not ignorant of the craziness in the SoCal market. SMH

Edited by AuntTora
  • Love 2

I've been home sick for three days and ended up zoned in front of about six eps in a row, hoping to see a "flop". I'd be more interested if there were a flop once in a while! Just saying.

Anyway, do people really, really like the exact same finishes in the kitchen and in the bathroom? I sure don't -- those are different experiences for me. The people walking through ALWAYS comment on oh, how awesome, it ties it all together! And I'm thinking...I don't want to be reminded of the last big dump I took when I am at the kitchen counter preparing dinner. Christina has ONE design aesthetic and it is imposed on every house. It appears to work, so more power to her, I guess. 

$420K for ONE BATHROOM? Unless that's on the beach in Malibu or on Coronado Island, no way. At least a bath and a half is as much a requirement as an accent border in the shower or some soon-to-die flowers planted at the entry for "curbside appeal", at that price point. And I've been a homeowner in San Diego and currently live in the burbs north of L.A., so I'm not ignorant of the craziness in the SoCal market. SMH

About one in every 10 episodes features a house that doesn't sell by the time the show airs. But they rarely call it flop. If you watch the follow up show, about 1/3 of the homes they talk about end up being flops--not because they didn't sell, but because the profit margin was low. e.g. they "only" made $20,000 on the sale of a home. 

I couldn't imagine having a family living in a 3-bedroom with only one bathroom. It happens, I know. But what about when someone needs to take a poop and someone needs to shower soon afterwards? Not fun at all. 

• Love 2

I couldn't agree more that the identical finishes the bathroom and kitchen are completely unappealing to me. The expression "don't sh** where you live" comes to mind. Personally, I think I of my bathrooms as little design islands. There are colors and styles that I enjoy in small doses. I wouldn't want them to pervade my house, but I can express those aesthetics in small doses in a single bathroom. My husband and I crack up that in every single episode, Christina suggests the kitchen-bath matching like it's something brand new she's just thought of. Edited by Portia

Part of the problem in watching this show (and others like it) is that we see a similar design aesthetic week after week. What would interest me is to see the design of the comp homes, to know how buyers are comparing T&C's version of a 3 br to the one on the next block that hasn't been redone. Getting excited about open concept seems kind of silly, unless every other house you've looked at doesn't have it. I mean, I get why we don't get more than a cursory discussion of 'these are the comps', but it's something that I would find interesting.

• Love 2

Part of the problem in watching this show (and others like it) is that we see a similar design aesthetic week after week. What would interest me is to see the design of the comp homes, to know how buyers are comparing T&C's version of a 3 br to the one on the next block that hasn't been redone. Getting excited about open concept seems kind of silly, unless every other house you've looked at doesn't have it. I mean, I get why we don't get more than a cursory discussion of 'these are the comps', but it's something that I would find interesting.

I agree. That's why I like the episodes where they visit other available homes in the area. And in defense of Christina's generic re-designs, T & C have visited remodeled homes with very unique designs that have sat on the market for months. If you don't know exactly what style a homeowner wants, it's best to keep it plain and let the homeowner customize to their own taste. 

How many times have we (well, maybe not you) seen people on House Hunters who complain about green pain or red cabinets or a unique chandelier? Granted, they're supposed to complain, but people usually don't like a unique design if the design isn't something they've chosen themselves. 

• Love 1

No matter how many times it's done on this show or another show I still hate mid century modern. And, this is someone who loves The Brady House (which the outside reminded me of) but nothing about it appeals to me. Maybe, I'm in the minority.

• Love 2

I don't get the washer/dryer thing either, unless they're going in an attached garage, in which case it's like having a laundry room off the kitchen. But it doesn't seem like any of these flips have basements or attached garages. This last house had such a big kitchen there was plenty of room for a w/d unit.

I don't get the washer/dryer thing either, unless they're going in an attached garage, in which case it's like having a laundry room off the kitchen. But it doesn't seem like any of these flips have basements or attached garages.

Having the washer & dryer in the garage is pretty common in the Los Angeles area, so it’s probably the same in OC with houses of the same eras.  But in flipping through my mental Rolodex of people I know with a garage w/d, they all have attached garages.  I remember when house hunting with my best friend, we saw one house with the w/d in a detached garage, and that definitely went on the “con” list.  (Whereas with an attached garage, it was a neutral factor.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I liked the episode, but can you honestly tell me that no one noticed the house was being painted a poop-colored brown color as it was happening? I can understand if the actual painters didn't--they were just doing their jobs. But wasn't the general contractor there?

My favorite segment was when Taylor and Christina visited the tile store. That kid has a lot of personality. But will we ever see Brayden?

• Love 1

I liked the episode, but can you honestly tell me that no one noticed the house was being painted a poop-colored brown color as it was happening? I can understand if the actual painters didn't--they were just doing their jobs. But wasn't the general contractor there?

My favorite segment was when Taylor and Christina visited the tile store. That kid has a lot of personality. But will we ever see Brayden?

Christina has said on FB yes. These episodes airing were before Brayden was born. Taylor is such a cutie.

Does anyone remember how much they sold it for? Stupid DVR cut off just as they were about to tell me :) 

Does anyone remember how much they sold it for? Stupid DVR cut off just as they were about to tell me :)

They had an offer for the asking price, $469k, I think,  with the usual "if it goes through..." they make sixty-something.

• Love 2

I love watching the stager do a karate chop on one of the throw pillows. I've seen it in every episode--except for one I watched the other day, and I was very disappointed.

Thanks for the chuckle, topanga. Those pillows are useless without the dimple. And a vase or bowl that's not full of lemons or limes is totally useless. How can one picture himself in the kitchen while not sipping limeade?

What is with their fixation about putting the washer/dryer out in the garage?

I'd just as soon leave it enclosed in the kitchen. Indoors. It's not like you're going to have lint flying into the lasagna.

I also don't get the revulsion to a half bath near the kitchen. I'd rather one here than no half bath on the first floor at all. When people are eating nearby, you still have the option of using one of the home's full bathrooms. I would think a half bath might shame people to wash their hands before eating, a bonus.

• Love 5

I also don't get the revulsion to a half bath near the kitchen.

I thought it was normal because my aunt & uncle had ones years ago, in their fancy LI home.  I think it was for the cook, although they didn't have any staff.

• Love 2

I think it was for the cook, although they didn't have any staff.

I'll bet auntie made good use of it nevertheless. 

I think it was for the cook, although they didn't have any staff.

• Love 1

Christina has said on FB yes. These episodes airing were before Brayden was born. Taylor is such a cutie.

So Christina has been pregnant for these episodes? My eyes must be bad because I can usually spot pregnant women. In this case, I did not. 

Actually, I think the little bedroom near it that I got to sleep in, was for a cook also.

I'm sure everyone used the bathroom, and it's not as though it opened between the stove and fridge.

Gosh that was a very long time ago.

• Love 1

When I was young (1960s), my friend's house had their downstairs 1/2 bath right off the family room.  Not in a hallway off the family room, but the bathroom door was right next to the TV.  I always thought that was a little weird.

• Love 1

When I was young (1960s), my friend's house had their downstairs 1/2 bath right off the family room.  Not in a hallway off the family room, but the bathroom door was right next to the TV.  I always thought that was a little weird.

Whenever there's a bathroom near a common area and there are other people around, I venture to find another bathroom. And I wish others would do the same, too. I don't like people to hear me pee, and I certainly don't want to hear other people take a whiz (or worse).

I've seen so few multi-level homes on this show.  Do only mini-mansions have multiple stories in California?

• Love 1

I live in a small townhouse and my bathroom (powder room) is literally across from the kitchen. I never thought of it till years later when people mentioned it and thought it was gross. Occasionally, someone does come out while we're in the kitchen prepping or cooking during a family event or party. When I downsize in a few years I'll probably make sure the bathroom isn't near a gathering place. It doesn't really bother me but I do see others point on the subject. I also think Christina wouldn't like the faux finish I have in the bathroom that is 18 years old and I'm too lazy to paint over. LOL!!!

• Love 2

The location of the powder room is usually dictated by where the plumbing is. Relocating pipes and venting can be expensive. Of course, if you're already going out to the garage for laundry maybe the powder room could go there too.

Watching episodes today on a Flip or Flop mini-marathon. I only caught half of the episode with the guy Slade, the one they partnered with to do a flip. I'll have to catch it again. It was nice to see a change from the usual formula. And I kept cracking up that Tarek was the one who kept insisting that they have to spend money to make money. He's usually the one who balks at Christina's expensive decisions--until he says okay. 

Just finished watching the new episode in Santa Ana, and thought the house looked over-staged at the showing. There were too many knick-knacks everywhere, too many patterns, just too much stuff. Obviously it didn't put off buyers because the place did sell, but if my livelihood depended on presenting a flip at its best I wouldn't be hiring those stagers again. It looked more like a retail store than a home.

• Love 2

I call BS on the contractor not being able to tell if the wall they wanted to remove was load bearing until after they bought the house. All he had to do was go up in the attic and look - and that's exactly what he did, after they bought it. What stopped him from doing that before they bought it?

And once again, we have "Oh no - they painted the house the wrong color!" This is not the first time it's happened - where the hell were they the day they started painting? I know they have many flips going on at the same time and can't be everywhere at once, but if one of them cant be there the day they start painting maybe have one of their crew checking to see the paint color is right? I wonder if it's maybe more a case of the paint coming out darker than they thought it would and passing it off as the "wrong" paint.

I get a chuckle out of this show every time they start to argue over what to spend and they cut to a commercial like it's a big cliff-hanger. "Oh Tarek, you know Cristina always wins." This is the first time I can remember Cristina agreeing with Tarek (about not spending the money to remove the load bearing wall).

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I kind of liked the wrong color. As much as I love gray for interiors, I'm less fond of it for exteriors, especially on that style of house. But then again, I just really dislike that style of house, and not sure it's the paint color's fault. 

It's possible that it's just not cost-effective for them to have someone double checking every step of the process, you sometimes just have to plan on things going right and then deal with them when they don't.  I'd also believe it's just manufactured or accepted drama for entertainment purposes, but I'd also believe it if it was real.

• Love 2

I kind of liked the wrong color. As much as I love gray for interiors, I'm less fond of it for exteriors, especially on that style of house. But then again, I just really dislike that style of house, and not sure it's the paint color's fault. 

Me too! I liked that deep blue color. It was unique but not garish. Maybe it wouldn't have worked in an HOA community where all of the houses have to be neutral, but it was a pretty color. And I disagreed with Christina that it was bad for curb appeal. 

I call BS on the contractor not being able to tell if the wall they wanted to remove was load bearing until after they bought the house. All he had to do was go up in the attic and look - and that's exactly what he did, after they bought it. What stopped him from doing that before they bought it?

I think the contractor does check before hand, but the reveal during the renovation process is for TV drama. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but I miss Israel. I know he can't be on every episode, but the ones with him are my favorites. He has the most outgoing personality of the contractors, and he's easy on the eyes. 

• Love 2

I think the contractor does check before hand, but the reveal during the renovation process is for TV drama.

Then they shouldn't make a point of asking him if he can determine whether it's a load-bearing wall before they buy the house and have him lie and say he won't know until they buy it. Anyone who's ever bought a house before knows that's bull. If they want to pull the "surprise! we didn't know that before!" crap don't preface it with even more fakery. 

I actually do like this show, I just wish they would dispense with the fake "drama" because they don't need it. The process and the renovation are enough to keep the show interesting. Making everyone look like idiots doesn't service the show at all.

• Love 2

Does anyone watch Masters of Flip?  I couldn't find a forum for it, so maybe it's only on in Canada?  But it's set in Tennessee, so I wouldn't have thought so.  Anyway, it's a similar concept to Flip or Flop but they admit to much higher reno budgets (often six figures) and Kortney is much more open to using colour and keeping character than Christina while Dave seems much more knowledgeable about construction than Tarek.

According to their Facebook page, it'll be on HGTV starting March 17 2016.

Does anyone watch Masters of Flip?  I couldn't find a forum for it, so maybe it's only on in Canada?  But it's set in Tennessee, so I wouldn't have thought so.  Anyway, it's a similar concept to Flip or Flop but they admit to much higher reno budgets (often six figures) and Kortney is much more open to using colour and keeping character than Christina while Dave seems much more knowledgeable about construction than Tarek.

But are they as cute as Tarek and Christina? 

• Love 2

But are they as cute as Tarek and Christina? 

I think so.  Kortney is equally pretty, and they seem to be happy and well-adjusted.

Edited by smlait
  • Love 2

He's usually the one who balks at Christina's expensive decisions--until he says okay.

I know there's a repetitive formula for all these shows but it seems like this is happening in every. single. episode now.  Christina thinks up some revolutionary (not) design idea, which Tarek finds absolutely shocking (!) both stylistically and monetarily.  They have a heated debate, he refuses to do it, ultimately says it's okay to do and then comes around in the end to say how much he loves it.  Can't they just take the arguing part out?  Have him say great! and then move on with the plan.  It's an unnecessary detour.

The other part of the show that I wish they'd remove completely is the fake open house at the end.  What purpose does this serve at all?  The "buyer's" are obviously outright told what to say or told to only say positive things (or mention, lightly, a different preference if it was previously a sticking point somewhere in the show).  It contributes nothing.  And the visitors often seem to me that they are actors desperate to get their mugs on t.v.,or to shove their "cute" kid/family in front of the camera in the hopes of a reality show.  Blech.  

I must be grumpy this morning!  Because I do like Christina and Tarek and I love seeing these oddball, dump places turned into gems!  

• Love 2

I liked the episode where Christina goes "Eeek!" and runs out of the house.

That could be one of any number of episodes.

I disliked the gray color they chose for the exterior of this last flip. It was smart to remove the decorative rocks but gray with a darker gray trim was too dark for that house IMO. I'm seeing this color frequently so I guess it's trendy now but ick.

Also, it seems like quartz has replaced granite as the go-to material for counter tops now. Seems like only yesterday granite was the must-have for buyers, but in this one one of the people at the open house said something to the effect of "I like the quartz, I'm so tired of granite." Jeez! How long before some new fad comes along for flooring and we start hearing "I'm so OVER hard wood!"

I always groan whenever they start out saying they have a reno budget of around $30K . When in the hell have they ever spent that little on a reno, EVER? It always ends up being at least 100K so why do they keep low-balling it? I was shocked it only turned out to be a $55K reno in the end because it's always double their original estimate, always. 

I wonder if this one is going to go down as a "flop." I hope they do more follow-up episodes because those are more honest. In some of those they considered flips with profits around $30K or less to be flops because the profit wasn't high enough for the time they spent on it.

Kiki620 the people at the open houses appear to be mostly local realtors, and when not, probably neighbors they recruit. I've always considered open houses pointless because they're typically for lookie-loos not serious buyers.  

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

I know there's a repetitive formula for all these shows but it seems like this is happening in every. single. episode now.  Christina thinks up some revolutionary (not) design idea, which Tarek finds absolutely shocking (!) both stylistically and monetarily.  They have a heated debate, he refuses to do it, ultimately says it's okay to do and then comes around in the end to say how much he loves it.  Can't they just take the arguing part out?  Have him say great! and then move on with the plan.  It's an unnecessary detour.

'cuz they have to fill their 20 minutes!   There's also the discovery of additional usually expensive work like plumbing, electrical or foundation or that it's a load bearing wall and will cost more.   And now there's the bonus oh-noes, we've painted the house the wrong color.    There must be a bingo card out there for home improvement shows.   

• Love 4

I always groan whenever they start out saying they have a reno budget of around $30K . When in the hell have they ever spent that little on a reno, EVER? It always ends up being at least 100K so why do they keep low-balling it? I was shocked it only turned out to be a $55K reno in the end because it's always double their original estimate, always.

I don't know why they don't just spring for a home inspection before they sign all the papers and hand over the cash for some of these properties. They've been at this game long enough to know that cracks all over the walls and the floors are usually symptomatic of structural issues that are not going to be a cheap and easy fix.

• Love 1

I liked the look of the fireplace with the herringbone pattern but thought quartz was an odd choice for the hearth. I have quartz counters in my kitchen and bath and love them but you are not supposed to directly expose them to heat. I would think a minimal qualification for a hearth would be heat resistance.

• Love 1