Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E27: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

Laith and Adam were just awesome in their performance together IMHO.  I believe Adam is a rocker at heart and has really enjoyed having Laith being the winner on his team....

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Laith and Adam were just awesome in their performance together IMHO.  I believe Adam is a rocker at heart and has really enjoyed having Laith being the winner on his team....

A big difference from Adam/Blake.  You could really tell Adam's shortcomings in personality during their duet.

• Love 4
(edited)

Christina and Alisan's duet sounded really nice. Good pick to do a mellow, non-shouty song.

ETA-  Carson said Alisan closes out the show. Well of course she does.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, roamyn said:

A big difference from Adam/Blake.  You could really tell Adam's shortcomings in personality during their duet.

I thought they both had great duets. I was disappointed in the other two duets with the coaches.  Hope this won't hurt Alisan's chances to win.

Unlike Blake/Gwen song, Christina actually looked like she was digging Hannah's original song. I really would have liked to hear her comments.

Thought Alisan knocked that one out of the park. Hopefully she brings the first woman coach a win.

Unless something shocking happens, Blake will continue to have 50% of all T2 contestants. Possibly 50% of all winners.

Alisan would be just the 2nd female-coached contestant to definitively make the top 3. 

Let's see who wins this battle. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Adam really fell short for me.  He has little charisma and mumbled throughout most of his songs.  I liked his original song, hated the Vince Gill song, and was bored to tears during the duet.

Hannah was great on Sting's song, though I didn't care for that arrangement.  But her duet with Pharrell was terrible, as was that horrible original song. 

Hubby thought Laith missed a beat during the Cream song, but I  think it was planned. his duet with Adam was FUN.  And his original song was great.

I thought Alisan'original song was okay, the duet fair,  but man she killed it during 'Somewhere'. 

For that performance alone, she will & should, win.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
(edited)

Just voted for Laith.  Haven't voted all season long and doubt that Laith will place higher than 4th (since twitter-saves have never placed better than last in the finals) but felt like I had to throw him some votes anyway.  I was thoroughly entertained by all his performances tonight.  Was really bored by Adam and Alisan.  Mixed on Hannah...great cover, bad duet, original was catchy and well-produced but lacked substance?

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 3

It was pretty clear tonight (IMO) that Alisan really deserves the title.  She scored an A while the others scored a B+....something like that.

Random blathering:

• Too bad about Adam having such a flat personality.  I hope someone mentions that to him so he can work on it.  
  • Pharrell seems to have a crush on Hannah.  
  • Agree that Adam is a rocker at heart and that he and Laith seemed to have a good time performing together.
  • The coach+contestant duets are rarely great...which I'd guess is due to lack of rehearsal time.  But I really did enjoy Christina and Alison together.  Alisan can keep up with Christina vocally and they sounded good together. I liked the duet better than her other two songs.   I would give her an A+ for the night except that I didn't care for her version of Somewhere.  I love her voice most times, but with certain songs, it comes off too screechy for my taste.
  • Love 2

Honestly, the person I'd like to see win and the person who completely swung for the fences tonight (with one huge songwriting assist) was Hannah who probably will go out in 4th place. I thought her "Every Breath You Take" was outstanding, totally captured the drama and moodiness she and Pharrell talked about in the package. And the co-written song is as radio friendly as any "original" song I've heard on a singing reality show. Sure it didn't have a whole lot of lyrics.....but you want to talk about a hook? That song had a Sledgehammer like hook, and I loved getting a peak behind the curtain as to the production ideas that Pharrell was coming up with for her. I'll forgive her a decent amount for the Pharrell duet.....she was behind the eight ball from the word go on that round...

I really enjoyed Laith and Adam's duet and his original song too. Wasn't quite as enamored with the Cream song.

I'm assuming the battle will come down to Alisan and Adam. Alisan who I avoided listening too after she was declared the victor on the night of her blind audition.....and Adam who never really delivered a bad performance, has the power of country and the power of Blake, and yet never really improved his terrible diction and enunciation.

• Love 7

I only liked Alisan's and Hannah's original songs. I probably won't ever listen to Alisan's song ever again, but it was actually credible. While I do think Hannah can carry a tune, I think the performance of her song highlighted why it takes more than a voice.

Christina would've killed that original song and worked that stage. I don't always care for what Christina does with her voice, but she does have a great one and the smarts to use it correctly, she just sometimes doesn't. However, Hannah looked so awkward and lifeless to me and I hate seeing good songs being wasted on what will soon become a one hit wonder.

Adam mumbled through his song, so I really don't if I like or hate it, but when he said the "looking into the sun" line, I was intrigued and wanted to hear him sing it. But, I have no idea of what verse it was in or if it was in the chorus because he mumbled.

Laith is Laith and Alisan did go out with a bang. She might win and I think Hannah will take off with her hit and then crash quickly.

• Love 1

In all the years I have watched this show, I was never inclined to buy a contestant's song on iTunes. But after hearing Hannah's original song, I coughed up the $1.29 to buy it. That was amazing. It had a Grace Potter feel that I always thought Hannah had. Sadly, she won't win the battle, but if any of the final four deserves mainstream pop success, it should be her. Even her version of "Every Breath You Take" was both stunning and haunting. She truly came on, unfortunately it was too little, too late for the win. F you, Pharrell for waiting so long for this to happen.

Alisan was Alisan tonight. I didn't even bother to watch her performance of "Somewhere" because I could've predicted her performance and the orgasmic reaction of the judges. Laith had a terrific night, but I see him finishing fourth. Regardless, I could pay to watch him perform live.

As for the winner, I thought Adam phoned it in tonight until the last song. Since Blake's Hee Haw constituency will vote their tails off for him, I see him winning it all. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would think the reason Adam coasted was he may have a secret recording deal even if he loses.

Christina went overboard with the spray tan. She was the color of my bedroom door which is cedar. 

• Love 3

I must be really behind the times if everyone liked Hannah's (ie Pharrell's) original song.

I thought it lacked substance, musicality, and she screamed too much.  But then again, Pharrell's biggest hit isn't known for its depth.

• Love 5
(edited)

The arrangement of Somewhere that Alisan performed reminded me of the arrangement of it Barbra Streisand performed on The Broadway Album. Actually, leaving out all the new age-y whooshing at the beginning and end of Streisand's version, I'd almost wager money that Alisan did perform Streisand's arrangement, or a very close cousin to it. Listen for yourself, here's the link to the music video on Youtube (Streisand starts singing an intro at 0:55, and the actual song at 1:29).

Who knows what'll happen when it comes to America voting, but I'll be floored if Alisan doesn't win.

Edited by JeanneH
(edited)

Since so many of us have differing opinions, which is cool, I'm going to throw it out there that based on the entire season, the artist who entertained me the most and who I hope wins is Adam. I've enjoyed every performance of his unlike most of the others. 

If he wins, I don't think it will have to do with Blake's country mafia, or whatever people are calling it these days. He fits in well with current country/bluegrass/blues and I imagine him being signed however it goes.

Also, if that were true we'd have Mary Sarah up there.

The producers want Alisan to win (pimp spot - huge song) etc. I'm so tired of being beaten over the head with it, even having Adam L declare her the "winner" tonight, that I actually don't care anymore if she does win. I think her place in music is less defined, though Broadway I can see. 

Last night on the Billboard awards, Kesha came out, sang "It Aint Me Babe", simply, brilliantly with no bells or whistles. I barely listen to Alisan when she sings and her duet with Christina really emphasized the warmth of Christina's tone to me, while highlighting the shrillness of Alisan's. But, if she wins, I wish her well.

Hannah's song with Pharrell sounded cool due to the production (the original that is), but, I think anyone could have done it. Wasn't really a singer's song and not one that holds up well as it's so so repetitive. 

Y'all know I'm not a fan of Laith's voice, so, there's that. I'm glad he has had success from this show though.

I thought Adam was somewhat lowkey tonight. He never comes across as desperate and I honestly don't think he is. He has put in his time in Nashville, playing keyboards and guitar for anyone needing it. He has paid his dues. I don't think he has a lack of personality, but, rather is somewhat shy. I think he puts it all into his music.  I do think it came across well in "Soulshine" which he sang for his brother who had passed away.  Also, as he has said, numerous times, he is not used to being out front. 

I still remember how Carrie Underwood was. I think if he starts to feel more confident and relaxed, his personality will open up more. His talent, love for music, and his artistry are what interest me more.

I'm going with Adam, for the win. If not him, it'll be Alisan.

Looking forward to seeing Paxton :).

Edited by InfiniteMystery
  • Love 7
(edited)

Man, did was that performance with Adam/Laith all about Adam or what? He really has a need to show off during those duets. Christina and Allisan's was restrained and beautiful.

Judging by iTunes we are on track for another mediocre Blake win. Unless Blake is banned from picking country artists, there is no way to stop mediocre talent from winning most seasons. 

Allisan was my favorite but I found Hannah's original song to be the most entertaining of the bunch.

Adam mumbled his way through the last song and he continues to show the personality of white rice on stage. And I've yet to feel that he connects to his music. 

I just hope Laith finishes 4th. At this point, it is hard to get invested in this show when Blake wins almost every season regardless of how good his contestants are.

Edited by pivot
(edited)

Current iTunes Top 100 Rankings

2 - Lonesome Broken and Blue (Adam)
4 - Every Breath You Take (Hannah)
5 - Down That Road (Alisan)
6 - Somewhere (Alisan)
7 - Morning Light (Laith)
8 - When I Call Your Name (Adam)
12 - I Call the Shots (Hannah)
20 - White Room (Laith)
24 - You've Got a Friend (Alisan & Christina)
26 - Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End (Laith & Adam)
47 - The Conversation (Adam& Blake)
98 - Brand New (Hanna & Pharrell)

Edited by JeanneH

Laith got my vote because I like him, like his voice, liked his songs, and like his guitar playing.  I hope he gets some good gigs out of being on this show. 

Alisan is the shoo-in, so I didn't bother voting for her. She and Paxton need to be on the Broadway stage. I thought, too, that her "Somewhere"  arrangement was the Streisand one.        

I really liked Hannah's original song and her cover of "Every Breath". Her duet with Pharrell went as all his duets go. But it was fascinating to watch that recording session.     

Adam still has not  wowed me; he's simply too bland up on the stage, even when the song is a good one for him. I still can't name a single song he's sung in the show. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Whoa! Adam actually got to #1 on ITunes, displacing Timberlake temporarily. Ha. Love it!

I actually don't care who wins, as they all are talented, but that is cool.

because apparently I cannot spell
  • Love 4
(edited)

Current iTunes Top 100 Rankings - some shuffling upward

1 - Lonesome Broken and Blue (Adam)
3 - Every Breath You Take (Hannah)
4 - Somewhere (Alisan)
7 - Morning Light (Laith)
8 - When I Call Your Name (Adam)
9 - I Call the Shots (Hannah)
18 - White Room (Laith)
23 - You've Got a Friend (Alisan & Christina)
24 - Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End (Laith & Adam)
46 - The Conversation (Adam & Blake)
91 - Brand New (Hanna & Pharrell)

Edited by JeanneH

her duet with Christina really emphasized the warmth of Christina's tone to me, while highlighting the shrillness of Alisan's

Had that exact convo with the hubs. Alisan has a wonderful voice, but the moment Christina began to sing, I'm all, "oh, that's what this should sound like." It's almost unfair to have anyone duet with Christina, no matter how good they are, very few come out ahead in that comparison. Alisan has great vocal control, but her voice often has a flatness to it, compared to the full, rich tone of Christina's. 

• Love 7

The arrangement of Somewhere that Alisan performed reminded me of the arrangement of it Barbra Streisand performed on The Broadway Album. Actually, leaving out all the new age-y whooshing at the beginning and end of Streisand's version, I'd almost wager money that Alisan did perform Streisand's arrangement, or a very close cousin to it.

I said to Mr. Author, "That's a Streisand cover...her Broadway Album," and Mr. Author said, "She's no Streisand!"

However, the end of the song was nothing like Barbra's haunting last note. Alisan can't help screeching and going OTT. Together, Mr. Author and I yelled, "NO!"

She did the same thing with Desperado!

Was it Laith who said he was *laying* in the field when he wrote his song? I wonder how many eggs he produced. 

• Love 5

I voted for everyone but Allisan. Her voice is too shrill for my liking and I cannot picture how the record label would market her. Plus I am exhausted with being hit over the head that she's the best. If she wins, good luck to her. I've never cared which coach wins, only the contestant. I really don't have a dog in this fight, but did enjoy some of the performances tonight. Since I did, I just spread my votes out evenly among the other three finalists. I'm sorry, but this was one long dull season. Season 11 can't get here soon enough. Thank Heavens there will be no Christina, Gwen, Shakira, or Pharell (who phoned it in all season). Of course all my votes will backfire giving Allisan the win. C'est la vie. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, InfiniteMystery said:

I still remember how Carrie Underwood was. I think if he starts to feel more confident and relaxed, his personality will open up more. His talent, love for music, and his artistry are what interest me more.

Heh! As much as I loved Carrie that season, I agree that she was very much: "I'll come out and sing this song like nobody's business, you'll like it and clap and then, I'll the leave the stage. Deal?"

But, even if Adam does open up a bit with his personality, if he doesn't open up his mouth and enunciate, he's going to have a harder time than necessary. I was open to everyone tonight and ready to see their true potential, but couldn't understand much and then just changed the channel somewhere during the first chorus.

(edited)

I was looking around the net this morning and on every Voice article or site, there's so much fighting. People seem equally split among the four contestants. Maybe it's always been that way or maybe I never really looked.

It would be kind of fun to see an upset.

Looking back at some of Adam's past performances really has me thinking he doesn't want to win. Blake doesn't seem real interested in winning the show this season either. What I mean is, he seemed way too laid back and the songs weren't ones like 'Bring It On Home'.

Maybe Hannah will win :P She does call the shots. 

I'd say Laith was the most even of the contestants last night. Every performance was done well. Loved his original so much and the duet with Adam was so entertaining! Hannah's original is just awful, is that what goes for hits nowadays? Gross. I did like the Police cover of EBYT and like Adam I am protective of that one. Alisan bored me with her original, but Somewhere she killed it and agree with others her duet with Christina highlighted why even though Alisan has range, she doesn't have that something extra that Christina's has. AdamW is just not my cuppa, nothing stood out to me at all it was so the opposite of everyone else. I'm sure he'll win, meh.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I liked the arrangement they came up with for "Every Breath You Take." I just wish someone better had performed it; she didn't have the ability to do it justice.

My mind instantly went to Pink when I read this. I bet she could do this version justice while spinning 25ft above ground. (and perhaps fitting to the lyrics I'll be watching..... ). 

Hannah did fine for the most part, until the bridge - she lacked oomph for that portion. I can already see this version being used in a future DWTS episode.

6 hours ago, MaryM47 said:

Had that exact convo with the hubs. Alisan has a wonderful voice, but the moment Christina began to sing, I'm all, "oh, that's what this should sound like." It's almost unfair to have anyone duet with Christina, no matter how good they are, very few come out ahead in that comparison. Alisan has great vocal control, but her voice often has a flatness to it, compared to the full, rich tone of Christina's. 

I always think this with Blake's duets.  The contestant will start singing, and it will be fine, but the Blake joins in and I realize that it wasn't actually fine at all.

Alisan did get a little OTT at the end of Somewhere, but the rest of it was mostly nice, and made me remember that she does have a lovely voice that has really been hindered by the melisma and screeching and overwrought dramatics during this competition.

I'm not a Laith person, because I'm not a blues person, but I loved the Cream song and threw him some votes for the first time.  I do think that he's the kind of guy that should win this - someone who's plugged away at the music business for so long and just needs a nudge to get to the next level - as opposed to a preschool teacher or mom that just decided one day that she wanted to be a singer. I realize that's probably not fair to Hannah or Alisan but in my mind that's what the show should be about.

Adam W. seriously needs some diction lessons.

• Love 3

I can rarely understand anything Adam sings. If I hadn't known his original song had lonesome and blue in it I would have been completely lost. Enunciate for crying out loud!!! 

• Love 5
(edited)

9:10 AM and Adam is still #1 on I Tunes. WOW. Regardless of whether you think his personality is bland, he's beating TIMBERLAKE? Holy. Shit. 

I do prefer Adam's I Tune's selections because I can understand the words to the song. His live performances, not so much. I think he's destined for #2, though. The show is pimping Shreechy McScreecherson to the hilt. They also want a female judge to win and Gwen is never going to be that judge (if she returns). I don't even think Shakira would be, either. Alicia Keys? Hmmmm. That's a possibility. 

Hannah at #3 is a shock to me.

9:13 AM on I-Tunes:

1. Lonesome, Broken and Blue: Adam

3. Every Breath You Take: Hannah

4. Somewhere: Alisan

5. Down That Road: Alisan

6. Morning Light: Laith

8. I Call the Shots: Hannah

9. When I Call Your Name: Adam

16. White Room: Laith

21. You've Got a Friend: Alisan and Christina

23. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End: Laith and Adam L.

43. The Conversation: Adam W. and Blake

84. Brand New: Hannah and Pharrell 

There are a bunch of songs also on the list from previous weeks. I skipped those. 

I did see a duet on the I Tunes list that included Cassadee Pope. Would she be considered the most successful winner this show has produced? Not that that is saying much, but I do see her name pop up occasionally on Country radio and award shows (live performances, not actually GETTING awards).. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
12 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

9:10 AM and Adam is still #1 on I Tunes. WOW. Regardless of whether you think his personality is bland, he's beating TIMBERLAKE? Holy. Shit. 

I do prefer Adam's I Tune's selections because I can understand the words to the song. His live performances, not so much. I think he's destined for #2, though. The show is pimping Shreechy McScreecherson to the hilt. They also want a female judge to win and Gwen is never going to be that judge (if she returns). I don't even think Shakira would be, either. Alicia Keys? Hmmmm. That's a possibility. 

Hannah at #3 is a shock to me.

9:13 AM on I-Tunes:

1. Lonesome, Broken and Blue: Adam

3. Every Breath You Take: Hannah

4. Somewhere: Alisan

5. Down That Road: Alisan

6. Morning Light: Laith

8. I Call the Shots: Hannah

9. When I Call Your Name: Adam

16. White Room: Laith

21. You've Got a Friend: Alisan and Christina

23. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End: Laith and Adam L.

43. The Conversation: Adam W. and Blake

84. Brand New: Hannah and Pharrell 

There are a bunch of songs also on the list from previous weeks. I skipped those. 

I did see a duet on the I Tunes list that included Cassadee Pope. Would she be considered the most successful winner this show has produced? Not that that is saying much, but I do see her name pop up occasionally on Country radio and award shows (live performances, not actually GETTING awards).. 

If you average the three songs, Alisan has the highest average (10), followed by Adam (11).  I hope Alisan wins as I want a female coach to win and I do think Alisan is deserving of the win.  She's not the best female contestant the show has had, but she's good.  Cassadee Pope has had the most consistent radio success of the Voice winners, but she's still working on being relevant in today's musical landscape.  Jordan has the new song for the Summer Olympics.  If it is as popular as the one sung by Phillip Phillips four years ago, he will do well.  Danielle was supposed to also have a song used during the 2012 Summer Olympics, but I never heard it.  

After knowing the past two years who was winning, I'm just happy we don't really know for sure who will win.  I still think it's possible for Adam, Alisan or Hannah to take the crown. The only contestant who I don't think will win is Laith, but he sure did entertain me the most last night!  Adam made a mistake picking a Vince Gill song.  He doesn't have the vocal chops to take him on.  I wish he would have picked a southern rock song, such as something by the Allman Brothers. 

10 AM EDT iTunes update - and there have been changes in the last hour. Either the voting is very close, or someone(s) really likes Laith (2 of his songs moved up in the past hour)

1 - Lonesome Broken and Blue (Adam)
3 - Every Breath You Take (Hannah)
4 - Somewhere (Alisan)
6 - Morning Light (Laith)
7 - I Call the Shots (Hannah)
9 - When I Call Your Name (Adam)
15 - White Room (Laith)
21 - You've Got a Friend (Alisan & Christina)
22 - Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End (Laith & Adam)
43 - The Conversation (Adam & Blake)
84 - Brand New (Hanna & Pharrell)

The averages (add the ranking position, divide by 3, lowest average is best) are as follows:

Alisan - 10 (30)
Laith - 14.3 (43)
Adam - 17.6 (53)
Hannah - 31.3 (94)

9 minutes ago, InfiniteMystery said:

The judges' duets don't count in the votes if I recall correctly which seems fair. Must be something wrong with my ears though, since I understand Adam all the time.

Thanks, I didn't hear that :)   If you don't count the duets, the averages become:

Alisan - 4.5 (9)
Adam - 5 (10)
Hannah - 5 (10)
Laith - 10.5 (21)

(edited)

I think Adam will easily win, but that's me. If you look at the actual relative sales on kworb.net/pop, since they count votes by numbers not by averaging positions:

Adam 100% + 59% = 159%

Alisan 75% + 72% = 147%

Hannah 77% + 63% = 140%

Laith 66% + 38% = 104%

I believe previous songs count too; in T100 at least we have:

Adam 20% + 10% = 30%

Alisan 14% +10% = 24%

Laith 9% + 8% = 17%

Hannah 9%

Plus Adam has the Team Blake and Country White Male advantage. And he's done better in live rounds overall on iTunes - among the finalists, he's won 4 out of 7 rounds, vs. Alisan's 2 and Laith's 1.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, jjjmoss said:

I think Adam will easily win, but that's me. If you look at the actual relative sales on kworb.net/pop, since they count votes by numbers not by averaging positions:

Adam 100% + 59% = 159%

Alisan 75% + 72% = 147%

Hannah 77% + 63% = 140%

Laith 66% + 38% = 104%

I believe previous songs count too; in T100 at least we have:

Adam 20% + 10% = 30%

Alisan 14% +10% = 24%

Laith 9% + 8% = 17%

Hannah 9%

Plus Adam has the Team Blake and Country White Male advantage. And he's done better in live rounds overall on iTunes - among the finalists, he's won 4 out of 7 rounds, vs. Alisan's 2 and Laith's 1.

Yes, previous songs count too. I'm inclined to agree with you as my gut has said Adam since I first saw him in the blinds. 

I know people like to focus on itunes since it's the only public data available, but they're really not a good indicator when the contestants are this closely bunched. Especially in finale week.  As a reminder, Matt McAndrew in season 7 hit #1 yet placed second, Christina Grimmie in season 6 charted the best yet placed third.  I think Sawyer and Jordan charted the best in their finals, but they were also leading throughout the competition.  

I think the winner is determined based on the existing fanbases going into the finals rather than the finale performances themselves.  I still remember Josh Kaufman sucking in his final performance (pimp spot!) and winning anyway.  

I-Tunes as of 11:55 am EST

1 Adam (Lonesome Broken and Blue)

3 Hannah (Every Breath You Take)

4 Alisan (Somewhere)

5 Alisan ( Down That Road)

6 Laith (Morning Light)

7 Hannah ( I Call The Shots)

9 Adam (When I Call Your Name)

13 Laith (White Room)

21 Alisan (You've Got A Friend - duet)

22 Laith (Duet Medley)

28 Adam (I'm Sorry)

45 Alisan (Desperado)

57 Alisan (Blue Bayou)

61 Adam (Tennessee Whiskey)

66 Laith (One and Only)

68 Hannah (When a Man Loves a Woman)

77 Laith (The Thrill Is Gone)

103 Laith (Make It Rain)

110 Laith (We've Got Tonight)

115 Hannah (House of the Rising Sun)

117 Alisan (Let Him Fly)

137 Adam (Seven Spanish Angels)

147 Laith (WIth A Little Help From My Friends)

(edited)

Which is why I threw in the bits about Adam also having the Blake Country WhiteMale advantages. 

Craig overcame Matt's iTunes advantage by being a Blake Country WhiteMale. Adam has that and ALSO the iTunes advantage.

And your reminder is faulty. Josh beat Christina 3 out of 5 live rounds.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, jjjmoss said:

Which is why I threw in the bits about Adam also having the Blake Country WhiteMale advantages. 

Craig overcame Matt's iTunes advantage by being a Blake Country WhiteMale. Adam has that and ALSO the iTunes advantage.

And your reminder is faulty. Josh beat Christina 3 out of 5 live rounds.

For Josh vs. Christina, I'm talking about the finale.  

Not disagreeing about the other stuff (though not necessarily agreeing either since we have no voting data whatsoever besides itunes).  

Just reminding folks not to rely on itunes too much.  Since people are going so far as to calculate averages, etc.  

I think Hannah had an unfair advantage on the original song with Pharrell writing and producing it. It wasn't even her idea and did not suit her. Unlike the other judges, he is a multiple Grammy winning producer and really excels in that area. Honestly, I didn't watch the others' working on their originals so I am wondering if any of them (unlike Hannah) actually came up with their own ideas or lyrics?

• Love 1

The best performance of the night was the house band drummer on White Room. I sure wish someone was making music like that these days. I can still remember the first time I heard that song when I was in 8th grade. Mind blowing.

• Love 2

Levine made the comment that he "doesn't care, isn't playing the game" this season, and you know what, I LIKE THAT.  He isn't so obsessed with beating Blake, and the interruptions and douchy commentary when Blake is making a point, have been minimal, especially since the live shows started. This version of Adam Levine is one that I've enjoyed and as a result, threw votes at his guy Laith every week. Haven't done that is a long time. 

• Love 6
(edited)
50 minutes ago, windtrix said:

The best performance of the night was the house band drummer on White Room. I sure wish someone was making music like that these days. I can still remember the first time I heard that song when I was in 8th grade. Mind blowing.

The cool thing about Laith being on the show was that I got to hear the music I grew up with, like White Room and All Along the Watchtower, instead of Justin Bieber and One Direction. But I thought the band was too loud on Laith's White Room and he had to shout (even more than usual) to be heard. I stick with my opinion that Laith is a good entertainer but his singing is nothing special, and he does not deserve to win the title of "The Voice."

It was a hard night for me with my personal favorite Adam, because the Adam I like is when he shows his soul/bluesy side, and last night he went total country. Maybe that was a strategic decision by Blake, in order to mobilize the country music voting bloc. I liked the duet, but the two solo numbers for me were blah.

If Adam doesn't win I hope (though the chances are slim) that it's Hannah. I think she deserves a lot of credit for hanging in there against three much more experienced and professional performers. I liked the version of Every Move and thought she sang it really well. With the duet and original it looked like Pharrell was trying to remake her as an R&B singer. Maybe he figures that's her best chance for a post-Voice career. (He really does seem smitten with her). Don't know if it's a good fit. But she's a very pretty woman, and that certainly won't hurt.

Alisan will probably win, but I really wonder what kind of career she would have. Her singing style seems dated. The Streisand Era is long gone. Even the Mariah Carey Era is gone. People have said all along that she's more Broadway, so maybe last night she was smart to embrace that and sing Somewhere. Given her acting background, it seems that musical theater may be the logical way for her to go. (As a side note, has any woman on this show ever displayed more leg? For her first number it looked like she was wearing a teddy with a see through skirt over it).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

The cool thing about Laith being on the show was that I got to hear the music I grew up with, like White Room and All Along the Watchtower, instead of Justin Bieber and One Direction. But I thought the band was too loud on Laith's White Room and he had to shout (even more than usual) to be heard. I stick with my opinion that Laith is a good entertainer but his singing is nothing special, and he does not deserve to win the title of "The Voice."

It was a hard night for me with my personal favorite Adam, because the Adam I like is when he shows his soul/bluesy side, and last night he went total country. Maybe that was a strategic decision by Blake, in order to mobilize the country music voting bloc. I liked the duet, but the two solo numbers for me were blah.

BluePiano, I agree with your entire post. If Adam doesn't win, I'd also love to see Hannah as winner. 

I went back and replayed Adam's earlier performances, and the contrast between them and last night is striking. I honestly don't understand it, but something just was not the same. Perhaps you're right that the bluesy, soul, even gospel influences weren't there. But, that is his single, with no input from Blake. He just seemed muted somehow and not himself.

Alisan's song had three writers, but was instantly forgettable to me. 

In any case, if they wanted classic country, there are still much better songs to choose. I'm baffled.

I think we'll see a different more spirited Adam tonight perhaps with Alison Krauss.

I did love the fiddle player with him who is part of Blake's band, so talented.

• Love 2