Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

I'm really kind of dreading the "Number Three" episode. I really, really hope I'm wrong - but I'm picturing it as one big cliche after another.

Randall and Beth hear that Deja's mother is getting out of jail, and they righteously decide that they cannot let that woman have Deja. Only for their righteousness to be tempered when Deja finds out what they're doing, and points out that they're trying to separate her from her mother, and so she hates them, and she never wants to live with them! Then Beth and Randall look at each other - are they doing the right thing?

Then we get a scene where Deja's mother explains how badly she wants to see her daughter, and how hard she's trying to stay sober - and Randall and Beth do a complete 180 and decide to give her whatever support she needs to be a good mother to her daughter.

And if it ends with them deciding to adopt the deaf girl that the caseworker mentioned, I really may have to throw something at the TV.

Again, I really hope I'm wrong here.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'm really kind of dreading the "Number Three" episode. I really, really hope I'm wrong - but I'm picturing it as one big cliche after another.

Randall and Beth hear that Deja's mother is getting out of jail, and they righteously decide that they cannot let that woman have Deja. Only for their righteousness to be tempered when Deja finds out what they're doing, and points out that they're trying to separate her from her mother, and so she hates them, and she never wants to live with them! Then Beth and Randall look at each other - are they doing the right thing?

Then we get a scene where Deja's mother explains how badly she wants to see her daughter, and how hard she's trying to stay sober - and Randall and Beth do a complete 180 and decide to give her whatever support she needs to be a good mother to her daughter.

And if it ends with them deciding to adopt the deaf girl that the caseworker mentioned, I really may have to throw something at the TV.

Again, I really hope I'm wrong here.

Your scenario is pretty close to what might happen in real life, at least up to the part where the foster parents offer to help the mother, and even that happens sometimes.  We haven't been told the mom is a wild-eyed or dead-eyed drug abuser, yet.  So reunification would probably happen if charges have been dropped.  But this show likes its twists and we haven't had that many lately, so maybe we will see Deja decide she wants to stay with the Pearsons.  That's what I probably wouldn't buy. 

I couldn't imagine it'd be that cliche so I went and watched the preview.  Yeah, it looks like it's going to be exactly that ridiculous.  Super Randall!  Defying the court and foster system because he and he alone knows what's best for this child he's known for weeks!  

I kind of wish the show would just remain in 1994 with the teen cast.  

You know, I can't even watch this fall finale live because of another show on at the same time that I can't miss tonight. And you know what? I'm not even upset about it. I pretty much have a feeling on what will happen, so I can wait another couple of hours to watch it. 

I do get the feeling that Deja will go back with her mother, but because Randall/Beth have chosen to let her go. 

• Love 1

I think Randall sees the similarities between himself and William; and between himself and Deja.  He doesn't know Deja the same way William didn't know him.

It's kind of hard to watch, I mean why should Deja's mom keep her, just because she gave birth to her, I mean mice can give birth too, right?  

But then you have to be careful, as to who decides who is and who isn't fit to be a parent and what situation is and isn't okay.  

Edited by Neurochick
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

You know, I can't even watch this fall finale live because of another show on at the same time that I can't miss tonight. And you know what? I'm not even upset about it. I pretty much have a feeling on what will happen, so I can wait another couple of hours to watch it. 

I do get the feeling that Deja will go back with her mother, but because Randall/Beth have chosen to let her go. 

Bingo!

I do like the idea that the kid they showed is probably the next foster kid, and that we'll see a series of kids come and go, which is how it should be for foster parents.

Kevin will be forced into rehab but gets a slap on the wrist in terms of punishment once Randall makes an impassioned plea to the judge.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Kevin will be forced into rehab but gets a slap on the wrist in terms of punishment once Randall makes an impassioned plea to the judge.

If it's even remotely realistic, he'll just get the slap on the wrist from the judge without any intervention needed -- first-time DWIs only ever seem to result in fines and license penalties. (Hell, in many states, multiple DWIs often don't result in jail time, until someone gets hurt or killed.) It'll be his family that talks Kevin into rehab.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, wilnil said:

If it's even remotely realistic, he'll just get the slap on the wrist from the judge without any intervention needed -- first-time DWIs only ever seem to result in fines and license penalties. (Hell, in many states, multiple DWIs often don't result in jail time, until someone gets hurt or killed.) It'll be his family that talks Kevin into rehab.

Question: since he had a minor in the car with him, would it really just be a slap on the wrist? I mean, even though Tess will tell the truth at some point (and they may add the "Tess was initially too scared to tell the truth at first" drama for the first episode back), would the judge really let him off that easily? I don't know much about law, but I'd think they would still be tough because Tess was in the car. 

Isn't there a really good chance that Kevin has narcotics on him? He didn't get his fix in Pittsburgh but he could have gotten it somewhere on his way to New Jersey.

What I would LIKE to see (and probably won't happen) would be Kevin deciding to live with Rebecca and Miguel for a bit while he cleans up, kind of like Postcards from the Edge, except without the court order. It would be a good way to give Present-Day Rebecca something to do, and it would be a natural way to explore the issues he seems to have with Rebecca and Miguel. But knowing how this show works, it will be how Sophie comes back, demanding that Kevin lives with her while she gets him to stay sober after his stint in rehab. And they will completely ignore how Kevin's celebrity would affect the court proceedings and the media coverage it would get.

I just realized something- does Kevin even have his agent anymore?

Edited by methodwriter85
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Question: since he had a minor in the car with him, would it really just be a slap on the wrist? I mean, even though Tess will tell the truth at some point (and they may add the "Tess was initially too scared to tell the truth at first" drama for the first episode back), would the judge really let him off that easily? I don't know much about law, but I'd think they would still be tough because Tess was in the car. 

My husband (who is a cop) said that would be discussed with lawyers and if Tess said she was hiding in car (which seemed very odd to me when watching and just done for effect) he didn't do it deliberately. I' m sure Randall will be upset but Kevin didn't take her with him, he was just too out of it to notice. I hope he goes with Rebecca also since she has a history of dealing with someone with addiction but Sophie is a nurse and time will tell.

Maybe if Kevin tells Randall he came to talk to him about his problem and then felt guilty with Kate's being on the front burner and he didn't know Tess was in the car, all will be well with each other by the next episode.  More guilt and tears.......; )

I liked Jack's talk with Randall about choices and it's not an even ride. I have 3 kids too and a set of twins, sometimes there is a blind spot or regrets but you do your best and give lots of love and it usually works out.

Randall and Beth want to try fostering again. Maybe it’ll be a boy, Randall teases, but he doesn’t control destiny! Well, what do you know: There is the CUTEST little boy sitting with his social worker, waiting to find a home. THAT FACE  I wonder what his issues will be?  I have a feeling he might end up adopted since having foster kids coming and going on the show might not be the best idea.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

In my state there is an enhanced charge/penalty for DUI with a minor in the vehicle.  What I don't understand is how she got there without him knowing.  I know he's drunk, but they were in the same room when he said something like tell your dad I had to leave.  How does he not know she's leaving at the same time, how does he not hear the back car door shut?  How does Annie not know, and tell her parents? 

9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Isn't there a really good chance that Kevin has narcotics on him? He didn't get his fix in Pittsburgh but he could have gotten it somewhere on his way to New Jersey.

The only way I could accept that Kevin looked so grotesque, and acted the way he did, was that he was going through withdrawal.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Isn't there a really good chance that Kevin has narcotics on him?

I haven't watched the ep yet but as long as he's still using only prescription drugs prescribed to him, he's not breaking the law by carrying them.

So, here are two post-fall finale articles talking about what might happen when the show comes back: Here's one with a TIU producer and here's one with Sterling

I mean, from what it sounds like, this arrest was Kevin's rock bottom moment so he probably will have his family finally notice his spiral in the premiere, where he could get the help that he needs. I guess that means there will likely be no overdose or suicide attempt, which is good. However, I won't rule out that option for the actual season finale, as I suspect quitting and staying clean will be tough. 

What is your one-sentence tease for the return episode on Jan. 2?
When we come back in the new year, our family will be dealing with the fallout of Kevin’s addiction and arrest — and will all be gathering to sort out how to best be there for their brother and son, and in a really, really explosive and ambitious way, playing out a lot of their family drama in this 11-page, nonstop, tour de force scene.

So, does the above mean that we'll finally get a Rebecca/Kevin scene??

It also sounds like Randall will be struggling between forgiving Kevin right away or not. It sounds like he might not see Kevin's side to his addiction at first. 

Also, it sounds like we'll get some more with Tess, at least, for the back half. Which means they could put aside the foster storyline for a bit, or they'll incorporate the foster kid with Tess/Annie and how they feel about having William and then Deja taken away suddenly. 

29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

a really, really explosive and ambitious ... 11-page, nonstop, tour de force scene.

The modesty is so refreshing.   Heh.

i had a thought about jack's death, what if he is electrocuted when he is working on some electrical, possibly while fixing something for kate, the family rushes him to the emergency room but he dies there which is why his things are unburned, while they are away the house burns down from the thing, it was left on in the panic of jack's injury, this explains kate's guilt  

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, balmz said:

i had a thought about jack's death, what if he is electrocuted when he is working on some electrical, possibly while fixing something for kate, the family rushes him to the emergency room but he dies there which is why his things are unburned, while they are away the house burns down from the thing, it was left on in the panic of jack's injury, this explains kate's guilt  

The visit to the Wall makes me wonder if Jack's death is suicide/PTSD-related rather than an accident...

I think the fuse box is the start of the fire. We have seen Jack casually fixing it in 3 straight episodes. Each time the power goes out and u hear Rebecca and Kate yelling "jack/dad" and then "thanks babe"

I think Kate will be doing some project and she yells at her father to fix it and then it explodes of simply starts smoke and fire. Why else would kate think it was her fault? Does she refuse to help him or take a walk with dog and left him alone e in house and too late to be saved?

Oh I want kevin to get his dad's necklace back. Come on ...she got to sleep with a man of her dreams...did she think it would last? It one a 1-nighter.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

I think the fuse box is the start of the fire. We have seen Jack casually fixing it in 3 straight episodes. Each time the power goes out and u hear Rebecca and Kate yelling "jack/dad" and then "thanks babe"

I think Kate will be doing some project and she yells at her father to fix it and then it explodes of simply starts smoke and fire. Why else would kate think it was her fault? Does she refuse to help him or take a walk with dog and left him alone e in house and too late to be saved?

Oh I want kevin to get his dad's necklace back. Come on ...she got to sleep with a man of her dreams...did she think it would last? It one a 1-nighter.

I think the fuse box also might be the reason but not the cause: Upstairs fuse blows while Kate is, say, trying to curl/wave her hair; it takes long enough for Jack to get it fixed that Kate's forgotten she left the gizmo plugged in; it quietly overheats until suddenly someone notices the house is filling up with smoke; disaster ensues as Jack tries to make sure everyone is out of the house and is overcome by the smoke.

Or not. But we know there's going to be something in that scenario that makes Kate blame herself.

3 hours ago, balmz said:

That would go a long way. The fusebox is obviously the culprit, one way or another, and perhaps two: killing Jack for starters, then igniting the fire. Jack might have just come home from work and so had his set of keys and even that (unburnt) worksite notebook on him. Kate needs the fuse fixed now, Dad!,  because whatever. For Jack to have been electrocuted rather than dead of smoke inhalation and his body perhaps burnt, might seem more merciful. It also leaves a body to be viewed by his family (and us) before his cremation. 

• Love 1

Yes, I definitely think we have FORESHADOWING with the fuse box--because this show is subtle like that.  Of course, we've also seen a lot of the incontinent dog during these episodes, too.....  Why am I imagining some scene of the dog peeing on something electrical, causing a fire, and--because the dog seems to belong to Kate more than anyone else, THAT is why she blames herself?  (I'm not sure if I'm joking about that or not).

Also, as this was the winter finale, we obviously didn't find out how Jack died "by Christmas" (I'm not sure if there was something "official" about that claim or if it was just mentioned in the forums), so I'm back to guessing that we won't find out until the season finale, at the earliest.

• Love 2

I'm guessing we get hit with "how Jack dies" in the second episode. The show sticks pretty close to real time in terms of time of year things happen. The Steelers played two games in January 1998, January 3rd and January 11th. Rebecca doubtfully would be wearing a Steelers jersey on some random non football game day.

11 minutes ago, momma2seven said:

I'm guessing we get hit with "how Jack dies" in the second episode. The show sticks pretty close to real time in terms of time of year things happen. The Steelers played two games in January 1998, January 3rd and January 11th. Rebecca doubtfully would be wearing a Steelers jersey on some random non football game day.

I was going to guess that the episode would be the Super Bowl episode, in February. I don't think they'd resist the opportunity to make that a Very Special Episode to get people to tune in. 

• Love 3

Kevin tells Kate no matter how much she looks at where the house used to be, he isn't coming back out. That made me think he went in and something happened. i just don't think he burned in the fire. Rebecca wasn't home when it happened, they said she sees it for the first time when she drives by so Mandy didn't want to see the set until she had to film. I wondered too if he left her to go to the house and Kate was there.

They make it seem like he is always fixing the box but the last 3 shows were kind of reruns of each other. He is fixing the same box but they highlight different people in the house each time. The same with the pup, she is still cleaning the same mess. ; )

Edited by debraran
6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was going to guess that the episode would be the Super Bowl episode, in February. I don't think they'd resist the opportunity to make that a Very Special Episode to get people to tune in. 

Especially since this year it looks like the Steelers have a pretty good chance at making the playoffs if not the Super Bowl. They're currently sitting number 1 in the AFC Playoff standings. They could totally do an episode set again during the 1979 Super Bowl, the one before the '80 one, where Rebecca gets pregnant. Contrast the joy of that one, against the heartache of 1998.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think they'd resist in building up that they'd let the audience know how Jack dies...and then not do it (again...)

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's actually a really good guess too. I hadn't even though about that working out.

16 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Especially since this year it looks like the Steelers have a pretty good chance at making the playoffs if not the Super Bowl. They're currently sitting number 1 in the AFC Playoff standings. They could totally do an episode set again during the 1979 Super Bowl, the one before the '80 one, where Rebecca gets pregnant. Contrast the joy of that one, against the heartache of 1998.

I love this idea! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's a great guess. The marketing department would surely have been pushing the idea.

The only reasons I can think of why the network would resist is (1) the game's been known to run well over the estimated time -- even without overtime, which is always a possibility -- delaying the start and losing potential viewers for the series' biggest reveal, and (2) the content. For potential new viewers, would that be compelling? The death of the football-loving father of three teenagers, as the family home burns down?  I know Grey's Anatomy

Spoiler

blew up Coach Taylor (that is, the demolition expert played by guest star Kyle Chandler)

after the Super Bowl, but still: not one of the leads, nor the father of three.  

Yet even so. The marketing department has certainly worked this show and its company for all they're worth, and then some. They probably will carry the day. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, it sounds like we'll get some more with Tess, at least, for the back half. Which means they could put aside the foster storyline for a bit, or they'll incorporate the foster kid with Tess/Annie and how they feel about having William and then Deja taken away suddenly. 

That makes sense....Jack's notion that you are watching all the kids, but take your eye off one for a moment and realize you missed something important applies not only to the big three, but also applies to the next generation.......Randall and his kids. Randall was all about Deja and whoops, Tess now hates being at home so much she hid in the back of the car with Kevin. I actually thought that was a relatively subtle segue between generational stories for this show to plant for the next half of the season.  Don't fail me show on this point, I'm giving you credit here!!!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

I thought it was odd Kevin said to put her seat belt on in t he back seat, that it was his first thought. I'm a big one for seat belts but going through DTS, it might be how Jack died. Milo said "the team behind This Is Us haven't confirmed that, yes, Jack died in the fire that claimed the Pearson family home. This Is Us adores a good twist, and Ventimiglia himself told Entertainment Weekly we should expect the unexpected when it comes to that fire." All we know for sure, it's the Steeler'a game.

I'm not sure why it matters as much except they are blaming Kate's weight gain on it, because she felt the most guilty. I'm sure nno one blamed her though, she never said that and they never reassure her.

I'm with Chrissy on this one, I would have loved to see this scene. Maybe they will replay it later? She said:

There was a scene that was cut from the immersion camp where she went to see a therapist. I loved that scene desperately, and I guess it was cut for time or whatever, but maybe it was too much explanation of what’s going on and too many clues. But yeah, there’s such a fine line in how to play that, and it’s such a huge storyline, and people are so madly in love with Jack, as they should be. I didn’t want to be a victim, but I wanted there to be empathy, and I wanted there to be an explanation.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought it was odd Kevin said to put her seat belt on in t he back seat, that it was his first thought. I'm a big one for seat belts but going through DTS, it might be how Jack died. Milo said "the team behind This Is Us haven't confirmed that, yes, Jack died in the fire that claimed the Pearson family home. This Is Us adores a good twist, and Ventimiglia himself told Entertainment Weekly we should expect the unexpected when it comes to that fire." All we know for sure, it's the Steeler'a game.

I think it was quite reasonable for Kevin's first thought being for Tess to put her seatbelt on. I think, even through his drunken haze, that he loves Tess and Annie and has actively been protecting them from his own messed up life. He also knows how messed up he is so when she appeared in his car while he was speeding, the first thing he wanted to do was protect her from getting hurt. I assume he immediately slowed down when she popped up, because Kevin wouldn't intentionally hurt Tess. I just think it was a Kevin thing to do when it came to his niece. There's a reason why his nieces, up until now, have been excited to see their Uncle Kevin. He's always treated them well. 

Though, with Kevin's DUI arrest with Tess in the back seat, I wonder how afraid Tess and Annie will be of their uncle. I suspect part of Kevin's spiral will now include his nieces being afraid of him. I mean, Tess has had William die suddenly without really getting time to process that his time was up, then Deja was taken out of their home, and now their uncle was arrested right in front of her. I'm very much looking forward to more of how Tess and Annie are handling things in the second half. Which is why the foster kid storyline comes second to Randall's biological kids for me. 

• Love 3

So, Dan Fogelman gave a new interview, highlighting what's in store for the second half of the season.

Most notably:

• Kevin will be in rehab and there's a scene involving a family therapy session (I imagine that won't go very well for Kevin); also the scene is 12 minutes
  • Jack's death will be a "heartbreaking surprise" (well, that's debatable until we get the actual scene)
  • There will eventually be another Memphis episode for Randall to bond with his biological family
  • They're also in production right now for episodes 14 and 15

I'm intrigued by the 12 minute long family therapy session, but I also worry that it'll just make Kevin look worse, as the show has tended to gravitate to. 

• Love 1

Interesting that Fogelman leaves open the possibility that Randall's mother didn't die in childbirth and that means William would have lied.  That would thrill the viewers who think William has been too sanctified.  It would be kind of cliche that William would have told that story to Randall to spare him the knowledge that his mother willingly abandoned him at birth, but would answer the questions surrounding how her body was not discovered, etc. 

I wonder if Kevin will go to rehab in California and Randall and Rebecca go there for the therapy session, or does Kate come east if Kevin enters a NY area rehab. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I wonder if Kevin will go to rehab in California and Randall and Rebecca go there for the therapy session, or does Kate come east if Kevin enters a NY area rehab. 

I feel like Rebecca might want Kevin close by, especially if we see her being reminded of Jack's addiction, so I can imagine him staying in the NJ/Pittsburgh area. I think Kevin might even stay with Rebecca and Miguel after rehab...though maybe I'm giving too much credit for the show to allow Rebecca to have her turn to be a parent to Kevin. I guess it's more my hope that he ends up staying with her after rehab for a while. It would also be easier for Kate and Toby to travel to NJ, rather than Randall and Rebecca (and the family) to go to California. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Dan Fogelman gave a new interview, highlighting what's in store for the second half of the season.

Most notably:

• Kevin will be in rehab and there's a scene involving a family therapy session (I imagine that won't go very well for Kevin); also the scene is 12 minutes
  • Jack's death will be a "heartbreaking surprise" (well, that's debatable until we get the actual scene)
  • There will eventually be another Memphis episode for Randall to bond with his biological family

I'm intrigued by the 12 minute long family therapy session, but I also worry that it'll just make Kevin look worse, as the show has tended to gravitate to. 

I can't say that any of this intrigues me, but the two highlighted words made me snort.  At this point, I cannot see how I would find Jack's to be either heartbreaking or a surprise.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I can't say that any of this intrigues me, but the two highlighted words made me snort.  At this point, I cannot see how I would find Jack's to be either heartbreaking or a surprise.

The only suprise would be is if he faked his own death in the past.

• Love 5

I imagine the therapy session will bring up Jack's death, whether they show it or not. All seems to stem from that time. I think a few more family members could work on some things also.  Kevin was angry at his Dad, normal feelings but he never had anyone talk to him about it that wasn't too close it seems. Destroying his airplanes, feeling abandoned, I can just imagine how tearful the therapy will be.

The heartbreaking part is normal, would someone who bonded with a character, not be hurt to see them die, wouldn't matter to me if it was saving a dog, electrocuted, car accident, something falling on him, dead is dead. I know I'm overtired tonight, but it annoys me that someone wants to make the death more dramatic,more emotional, just for the sake of the hype and drama. There's a lot of good writing that could be ahead, but don't make Jack's death more than it is. 

I knew Randall would go back to Memphis and I hope they have some minor recurring characters. It will only add depth to 3 kids to show them reaching out beyond just themselves. Randall's children also might enjoy meeting cousins etc. they never knew existed.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Interesting that Fogelman leaves open the possibility that Randall's mother didn't die in childbirth and that means William would have lied.  That would thrill the viewers who think William has been too sanctified.  It would be kind of cliche that William would have told that story to Randall to spare him the knowledge that his mother willingly abandoned him at birth, but would answer the questions surrounding how her body was not discovered, etc. 

Dude, what if it turns out that Randall's mother actually lived at least long enough to give birth to Deja's mother, making her Randall's half-sister and Deja his actual niece? Now THAT would be a twist.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Dude, what if it turns out that Randall's mother actually lived at least long enough to give birth to Deja's mother, making her Randall's half-sister and Deja his actual niece? Now THAT would be a twist.

No! lol  Then it would be General Hospital!  Please less twists for the sake of the twist and more good writing. : )

• Love 4
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I am barely hanging on by a thread currently but that would make me immediately stop watching.Hell even the hint that she might not have died might make me stop watching.

• Love 3

I'm dreading a 12 minute scene where they all think they're doing world class acting.   Why not do some world class writing then you don't have to rely on sheer length for gravitas? 

I guess it'll be a monologue-a-thon.  "YOU get a monologue!  YOU get a monologue!..."

Randall's mother being alive would undermine St. William's whole premise, not that they haven't already ret-conned it some.  That would also be getting into General Hospital territory for me.  

14 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm dreading a 12 minute scene where they all think they're doing world class acting.   Why not do some world class writing then you don't have to rely on sheer length for gravitas? 

I guess it'll be a monologue-a-thon.  "YOU get a monologue!  YOU get a monologue!..."

I'm partially dreading the 12 minute scene where half of it is berating Kevin for daring to have an addiction in the first place and the other half is talking about Jack's death and how they're ALL affected by it or whatever. 

I mean, that family needs therapy, no doubt about it, but I wouldn't think family therapy at Kevin's rehab is not necessarily the place to start hashing out all the family issues, especially since I bet it does become about Jack and less about Kevin at some point (I've never done anything like this, though, so I don't know how it works). I get Kevin's issues stem from his family issues and Jack's death, but I'm not going to be surprised when the other characters start talking about how much they've been affected by Jack's death. I would think that this therapy session should mostly be about Kevin, but when has that ever happened on this show? The show usually has the family at something for Kevin's, but then their personal issues get in the way and suddenly, Kevin's low on the priority list.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm partially dreading the 12 minute scene where half of it is berating Kevin for daring to have an addiction in the first place and the other half is talking about Jack's death and how they're ALL affected by it or whatever. 

Or, it could be 12 minutes of Kevin moaning about how everyone was worried that Kate was too fat and Randall was too adopted and Kevin almost drowned in a crowded pool one summer.  Because we've never seen that before...

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Most notably:

Watching a family therapy session in rehab is on the bottom of my list right above dying.  Movies and TV are clogged with addiction stories.  We have seen it all before.  Enough.  

Jacks death would be a surprise if we didn't know he died.  Car accident, alcohol related accident, murder, smoke inhalation, coyote attack, choose one. 

12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

There ya go!  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Guys, they added in Jack having a brother he was close to that was never before mentioned or hinted at. We're already arrived at soap opera territory.

For me that doesn't enter soap opera territory because we haven't seen a ton of his family and they never stated he didn't have siblings. We know next to nothing about his mother or Rebecca's father.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

For me that doesn't enter soap opera territory because we haven't seen a ton of his family and they never stated he didn't have siblings. We know next to nothing about his mother or Rebecca's father.

Yes.   Most series are written as they go along.  Often the creators don't know where it will lead.  It isn't like a movie.  

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Yes.   Most series are written as they go along.  Often the creators don't know where it will lead.  It isn't like a movie.  

Except Fogelman has said that he has 3-4 season planned out, so....  And, even if he didn't, I doubt NBC would have given him a 2 season renewal without some confidence that he had a plan for 2 seasons.  (Well, it is NBC...so I could be wrong on that...)

14 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Except Fogelman has said that he has 3-4 season planned out, so....  And, even if he didn't, I doubt NBC would have given him a 2 season renewal without some confidence that he had a plan for 2 seasons.  (Well, it is NBC...so I could be wrong on that...)

Thanks.  I didn't know this.  :^)