Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E24: Live Top 9 Eliminations

• Start Topic

Paxton sang & performed his heart out.  He deserved to stay, just by virtue of not being Nick.

And Nick surely did NOT bring "the pretty" to my eyes.  That would've been Ryan.

• Love 8

What was Allison wearing?  If she's not in hot pants, does she have to look like an extra from Hair? 

I can't wait for the big goodbye next week.  I have hit my limit with this show this year.  Every year my patience wears thinner. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Paxton winning that instant save by less than 100 tweets is yet another thing that makes me worried for America.

Next week feels relatively straightforward. Barring disasters (and probably even if one happens) Adam, Alisan, and Laith are going to make the finale. Paxton is not. Which will leave Bryan, Hannah, Mary Sarah and Shalyah battling it out for that last spot. In order I hope it goes to Hannah, Bryan, Paxton, no one, Mary Sarah....and then Shalyah.

Not really a fan of Blake and Gwen's duet. She was barely audible on the harmonies. I could care less about James Bay. From the competition show, Florida Georgia Line are still a Bro-country mystery. Except for that Cruise song they remixed with Nelly. That was a little bit of guilty pleasure summer song lol.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I can't believe that Twitter vote was that close. Nick was horrible and Paxton did a great job.

In a just world, we'd have a final 4 of Allisan, Laith, Bryan and Shaylah/Paxton. In reality, we are going to get Mary Sarah (who sings flat and nasally too often for my taste), Adam (who is an emotionless drone when singing), Allisan and Hannah (who is at best a cruise ship singer who can do by the number songs without any emotion or connection). This show has been American Idolized. 

My only question is which of Blake's two contestants are going to get the religious pander song - Mary Sarah or Paxton? 

17 minutes ago, pivot said:

I can't believe that Twitter vote was that close. Nick was horrible and Paxton did a great job.

In a just world, we'd have a final 4 of Allisan, Laith, Bryan and Shaylah/Paxton. In reality, we are going to get Mary Sarah (who sings flat and nasally too often for my taste), Adam (who is an emotionless drone when singing), Allisan and Hannah (who is at best a cruise ship singer who can do by the number songs without any emotion or connection). This show has been American Idolized. 

My only question is which of Blake's two contestants are going to get the religious pander song - Mary Sarah or Paxton? 

I agree with your assessment of the singers.  Allisan, Laith, and Bryan are rising to the top for me.  I do like Shaylah but her voice sounds like Koryn Hawthorne from season 8 but Koryn was miles better.  I also find Paxton super personable and an entertaining performer.  I hope he gets a job as a dancer or something out of this.

Ditto your comments about Mary Sarah (ugh) and Hannah.  And, as much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree a bit about Adam.  I LOVE Adam's tone and musicianship but he is missing that certain something that makes me connect with him.   I even sense a distance between him and Blake.  He has the talent - but he needs a dollop of charisma.

Honestly, I think Bryan does the best job out of them all at connecting with the audience.

Speaking of Koryn, I recall in her season she started out slow but really grew as a singer and performer.  Her duet with Kelly Clarkson is one of my favorite performances between the Voice and Idol combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_O2CiyfGD4

• Love 1

For a moment there i thought we were never going to get rid of Nick no matter how badly he sang.  It's kind of ridiculous that Paxton only beat him by 100 tweets.

As for the final 4, I suspect Adam, Alisan, Laith and Mary Sarah have the inside track and will have to really screw up next week not to make it.  This is a pity because I´d rather see Hannah and Bryan make the final.  Mary Sarah certainly doesn't belong there instead of either of them, but I suspect that the country/Blake vote is just too strong for her to miss out.  I also agree with the comments above about Adam's lack of charisma, to which I'd add that he's beginning to sound the same week after week no matter what he's singing.  Unfortunately, I think at this point he's probably the favorite to win it all.

• Love 2

Paxton's cute!  He'salso 1,000x more entertaining.

And he doesn't pander to the audience by showing off any kids.

I'm hoping the top 4 are:  Alisan, Adam, Laith & either Hannah or Bryan.  Though I hope Alisan dials the screaming down rather than ramp it up.

• Love 5

As bad as I think Nick is, I would rather listen to him sing all day long than be forced to listen to that James Bay guy for one more second.  That was god awful.  I'd never heard of him before and hope to never hear of him again.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, pivot said:

I am not a religious person, but I need to say that everyone panders, not just the religious.  They pander with cute kids, dying grandfathers, moms who died too young, sad tales of drug addition, homelessness, whatever. Maybe, just maybe, when someone sings a religious song it's because the song has meaning for them and they can connect with it, just like every other song choice?  Maybe? 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, viajero said:

For a moment there i thought we were never going to get rid of Nick no matter how badly he sang.  It's kind of ridiculous that Paxton only beat him by 100 tweets.

As for the final 4, I suspect Adam, Alisan, Laith and Mary Sarah have the inside track and will have to really screw up next week not to make it.  This is a pity because I´d rather see Hannah and Bryan make the final.  Mary Sarah certainly doesn't belong there instead of either of them, but I suspect that the country/Blake vote is just too strong for her to miss out.  I also agree with the comments above about Adam's lack of charisma, to which I'd add that he's beginning to sound the same week after week no matter what he's singing.  Unfortunately, I think at this point he's probably the favorite to win it all.

I'm not a fan of either Hannah or Mary Sarah, which is a shame as I like to see females in the finale.  I'm hoping the final 4 are Adam, Laith, Alisan (because I do think she can win if she reigns in the screeching) and Bryan/Paxton.  I'll be okay with Hannah or Shalyah in the final in place of Bryan/Paxton, but not Mary Sarah.  I was so excited about her during the blinds when she sang Where the Boys Are, but she's been a disappointment since.   I think she's a bit smug and phony.  She has by far the most Twitter followers (80,000), but not sure if that will help her next week. I enjoyed Emily Ann from last season so much more than her. 

I think Blake's favorite is Paxton and I can see why.  He's shown the most growth and really listens to Blake.  I also think Bryan has shown a lot of growth working with Christina. 

• Love 2

While Paxton may not be the best singer, he is the best "entertainer" out of the batch.  He would be so great on Broadway because he can connect with even the seats in the balcony.  (Broadway is a compliment from me, because popular singing nowadays (unless you're country) is a very iffy business.)

• Love 4

I'm sorry but doing slowed down versions of 2 songs from the same album 2 nights in a row is just lazy. Also, you didn't revolutionize "I wanna dance with somebody" we saw Mackenzie bourg do almost the same thing with the song a month or so ago. We've seen countless "indie artists" do the slow down pop song thing and it's pretty tired at this point. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sammich said:

was so excited about her during the blinds when she sang Where the Boys Are, but she's been a disappointment since.  

THIS.  Absolutely.  I am not a country fan but I thought that was one of the best auditions I've seen, period.  And I was actually rooting for her (among a few others).  But I think now that maybe that was just her one song that she had perfected for auditions and she really didn't have much else in her bag of tricks.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Sammich said:

I'll be okay with Hannah or Shalyah in the final in place of Bryan/Paxton, but not Mary Sarah.  I was so excited about her during the blinds when she sang Where the Boys Are, but she's been a disappointment since.   I think she's a bit smug and phony.

Funny that in the Final 8 we have two singers who, IMO, have never come close to giving a performance as good as they did in the blinds, Mary Sarah and Alisan. Off her "Where the Boys Are" I though Mary Sarah had something special, but whatever I heard, I haven't heard her since. She's just become another blonde Blake country singer. As for her being a phony, I don't get that vibe. I think she's actually a bit uncomfortable with the way Blake keeps talking about her looks. Which seems overdone. She's cute, but not any raving beauty. (On a shallow note, I find Hannah to be very pretty, which coupled with her humble attitude and the pre-school teacher thing, is definitely not hurting her in the voting).

Well, there probably has not been a single surprise elimination all season. Everything has gone according to script (except maybe with who was voted back on). And next week it will almost surely be the expected final four of Alisan, Laith, Adam, and Mary Sarah. It's possible Bryan could crash that group, but not sure who he would beat out. Maybe Laith?

(edited)

I also can't believe the instant saves were so close.  Nick was terrible and off pitch.  Paxton was great.  It doesn't really matter since he'll be gone next week.  But he should have lasted longer than Nick. 

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I am not a religious person, but I need to say that everyone panders, not just the religious.  They pander with cute kids, dying grandfathers, moms who died too young, sad tales of drug addition, homelessness, whatever. Maybe, just maybe, when someone sings a religious song it's because the song has meaning for them and they can connect with it, just like every other song choice?  Maybe? 

Not in a singing competition they don't. It's pandering for votes. Blake's team does it every single year like clockwork. 

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:51 AM, Sammich said:

I'm not a fan of either Hannah or Mary Sarah, which is a shame as I like to see females in the finale.  I'm hoping the final 4 are Adam, Laith, Alisan (because I do think she can win if she reigns in the screeching) and Bryan/Paxton.  I'll be okay with Hannah or Shalyah in the final in place of Bryan/Paxton, but not Mary Sarah.  I was so excited about her during the blinds when she sang Where the Boys Are, but she's been a disappointment since.   I think she's a bit smug and phony.  She has by far the most Twitter followers (80,000), but not sure if that will help her next week. I enjoyed Emily Ann from last season so much more than her. 

I think Blake's favorite is Paxton and I can see why.  He's shown the most growth and really listens to Blake.  I also think Bryan has shown a lot of growth working with Christina. 

I agree with all of this. I don't know what happened with Mary Sarah. Hannah, on the other hand, has grown (and I think the glammed up bleached hair really works for her). I've really come around on Paxton and finally see why Blake has kept him. It's not just that he's so likeable, but he really does listen and I believe Blake now when he says he sees something special in him. ITA that Bryan has done better with Christina than Alisan. 

I like it that this is the first season where I don't really have a favorite. I'd like Laith to be in F4 and am partial to filling it out with Alisan and Adam. I'd probably make F4 Bryan at this point, but wouldn't really mind if it's one of the others, even Mary Sarah. They've each worked really hard and shown they have the talent to possibly reach F1, even where they've been inconsistent, as with Shaliyah.  Now that Nick's gone, there's no one I'm rooting against.

To me, it seems any of the eight finalists could be F4. And although Paxton, Bryan, Shaliyah, Hannah and Mary Sarah would be surprises to me as the actual winners, it's still possible based on upcoming performances, which is refreshing.

My favorites: Alisan, Shaliyah, Laith, and Hannah. I also like Paxton, but he's not always consistent. I wish I could enjoy country, but I can never seem to get there. I enjoyed Mary Sarah when she does the old school Patsy Cline-ish songs, but anything else bores me. Adam also bores me. And Bryan sings well, but he annoys me. 

I want Alisan to win, because she really is the best singer there. I think Laith is overall the best musician, but his voice isn't always my favorite. I actually loved his song choice this week, and it was a mostly great performance, but it irritated me every time he moved his mouth away from the mic to look at the piano. If playing the instrument gets in the way of the singing, he shouldn't be playing. He can KILL at the guitar while singing, so I am all for that. But I just didn't feel he could rock the piano the same way. I would have liked to see that song without it. (Without him playing it).  I love Shaliyah, but that song was too big for her. I mean, she sang it well, but that song has a message that I couldn't take seriously from her. Regardless of how many times she mentioned her grandmother.  I am still waiting for Mary J Blige. 

• Love 1

I've been watching this show very casually - usually at the end of the weekend while doing other things. So I'm not super invested but I do find it entertaining to have on in the background. One thing that's really kept me from being more invested is, I think, song choice. When the judges were picking songs for the battle rounds they picked some great stuff. But now that the contestants are picking songs I'm continually appalled at how horrible their choices are. Paxton in particular. Gah. I like the kid and want to see him succeed, but good lord, its just Whitney after Celine after more Whitney. I gag. I'm sure getting rights to songs is a big issue, but I haven't seen an inspired choice in weeks!