Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I had an extra 10 minutes and saw a PW episode that I hadn’t seen before so I put it on. Does anyone else not like the way that she pronounces balsamic? It drove me nuts so I had to turn it off. Sigh. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
She is not a he. Hee Hee
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had an extra 10 minutes and saw a PW episode that I hadn’t seen before so I put it on. Does anyone else not like the way that she pronounces balsamic? It drove me nuts so I had to turn it off. Sigh. 

Makes me stabby.

• Love 4

Ree has openly boasted on one episodes that she actually knows the correct pronunciation but it's just stuck in her head as, "bal-SAM-ick." During the same show, she also mentioned another word she mispronounces (which I can't remember.) She said she tries to catch herself on that one, but "oh, well" with balsamic.

It's not cutesy or funny. If she can pronounce mascarpone correctly, then why is balsamic such a struggle?

I wish she would say that sometime in Giada's presence. Both eyes and heads would roll! 

• Love 4

Well, I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but food.  That's right.  Ready to heat food like loaded potatoes, etc. in the cold grocery section.  Ree now has her own line of food.  Guess if you can't cook it in her pans, you can just nuke it.

Edited by MrsClaus
  • Love 5

‎Norma Ryan‎ to The OFFICIAL Pioneer Woman Fan Club

8 hrs ·

PW sisters and Joe! I needed to share an incident that happened to my daughters friend this week! She is actually that taught me how to use the Instapot she owns three of them and uses them for everything! The other night she was cooking a roasts for a church dinner, and like hundreds of times before she opened the pot and stuck a fork in the roast and it exploded causing second and third degree burns all over her face, right arm, hand and fingers. She is home from the hospital but has to go in everyday to get the blisters broken and dead skin debriefed. You can only imagine the horrible pain! Apparently an air pocket can form under the roast causing extreme hot steam built up! So we checked it out and it had happen to another woman and her baby that was standing by her! So please let the pot especially when cooking whole chickens or roasts cool down for about 1/2 hr -45min before removing or carefully move around to release the steam pockets! They are amazing just be extra cautious, they do get extremely hot❤️  My question:  Does this happen with all brands of crock pots, or just Ree's?

• Love 1
On 10/31/2018 at 11:24 AM, cathy said:

the love she shows her husband, The Pioneer Woman brand and the recipes that are made to bring women back into the kitchen

I may vomit. Good god, was it a contest to see who could be the biggest sycophant? 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, cathy said:

8 hrs ·

PW sisters and Joe! I needed to share an incident that happened to my daughters friend this week! She is actually that taught me how to use the Instapot she owns three of them and uses them for everything! The other night she was cooking a roasts for a church dinner, and like hundreds of times before she opened the pot and stuck a fork in the roast and it exploded causing second and third degree burns all over her face, right arm, hand and fingers. She is home from the hospital but has to go in everyday to get the blisters broken and dead skin debriefed. You can only imagine the horrible pain! Apparently an air pocket can form under the roast causing extreme hot steam built up! So we checked it out and it had happen to another woman and her baby that was standing by her! So please let the pot especially when cooking whole chickens or roasts cool down for about 1/2 hr -45min before removing or carefully move around to release the steam pockets! They are amazing just be extra cautious, they do get extremely hot❤️  My question:  Does this happen with all brands of crock pots, or just Ree's?

An Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker. The lids are usually not removable if there is still pressured air in the pot.

• Love 3

That Christmas Cooking Baking Show is back on this year. 

Other than eye-candy Eddie Jackson (in shorts!) it was pretty awful. The fawning over Ree was even worse this time around. I actually thought that two of the women were going to faint and those were the two who got sent home! Ree said to one of them that her cookie decorating was "too crafty." Um, OK, pot meets kettle ... what about YOUR "rustic" decorating? The second one deserved to go because her execution of a "sand snowman" (the theme was tropical Christmas)  looked like crap. The staged shots of expressions of utter disbelief and shock on the faces of the two losers was priceless.

I was too tired to watch the second round, so will finish tomorrow. The only reason I care is because one of the finalists is from Kansas City. 

Regarding the Instant Pots. My downstairs neighbor had one and it exploded not too long ago. He had massive cuts and burns to his face, hands and forearms.  I had heard a loud "boom" from downstairs that evening but just figured it was either one of his nephew's video games or he'd dropped something in the kitchen. His brand wasn't Ree's because I don't think her model had come out yet.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cathy said:

8 hrs ·

Were they using the Instant Pot on pressure cooker mode or slow cooker mode? I don't see the problem is with Instant Pot. As far as I can tell, Ree's pot just has a hideous paint job on the outside of an Instant Pot - Instant Pot owns the name and trademark. If someone is stupid enough to open a pressure cooker without letting the pressure release, well then. That post smacks of being a troll.

Edited by chessiegal

Julie Barnaby

Conversation Starter · 17 hrs

I don't know if anyone has posted this idea before...but wouldn't it be fun if there was a Pioneer Woman merchandise box-of-the-month that we could subscribe to? For example, for around $25 each month, we would get an awesome box of goodies shipped right to us. It would be a fun surprise to look forward to each month!! ?

31 minutes ago, cathy said:

....for around $25 each month, we would get an awesome box of goodies shipped right to us

For $300 a year you can buy a whole buncha butter, sugar, candy, and hot crap and just dump them in a bowl once a month. Same diff.

• Love 7

Carol Taylor‎The OFFICIAL Pioneer Woman Fan Club

1 hr ·

Can anyone tell me what all these costs are for if you book The Boarding House, I thought you just book and pay the room rate, so why are all the other costs listed, if you have to pay these as well it would make it very expensive, there are some nights available in November for Butterfly Room and Tack Room, if I was nearer I would have booked them, one day, but I live in UK and it's four and a half thousand miles away.

image.png.c71c9ba5d49fd218ebffd34931734f88.png

• Love 1

comments

Beverly Orris If you are staying two nights then the room total is correct
Now the taxes are like your VAT....each area gets their percentage of rental fee. It is under hotel tax...hope this helps
You will have a good time staying at a much cheaper place and using that money saved to buy stuff and mail it home to UK yourself...many places will send to USA or buy a suitcase and pack in that and take hom 

Angela Kidd-Hinkle The per night rate is $239. That times 2 gives the subtotal shown so it is for 2 nights

Marcia Bohl That is big-city price for a 4 star hotel.

Carol Taylor £3,000 would be for everything.

Carol Taylor The Boarding House for one week, Air Fare and spending money from the Uk £3000.

Rose Wood You would need a car to get there. There is a lot of toll roads in OK. So you would need in add in the cost of going on those roads. I am not sure if you need to go one to get there. It's been 8 yrs since I have lived in that area of the country

Rose Wood Don’t take this the wrong way, but a lot of times it’s high because they know someone will pay it. Disney World does it

Carol Taylor It's just such a shame that something we would all love to do, is something that we probably cannot afford.

‎Jackie Ann Wells‎ to The OFFICIAL Pioneer Woman Fan Club

8 hrs ·

I wish ree would make a calendar  my comment.....she will, you wait. more profit to come.

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

21 hrs ·

I'll start this post with the fundamentals: Yum and yum. Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I can tell you that my Thanksgiving episode tomorrow is an explosion of fall flavors and festive fun. It's an "Ask Me Anything" show, and it's all about Thanksgiving ideas. ?? ? The questions are great, and they give me a chance to dig deep for some old fashioned ideas (celery logs, anyone?) as well as a couple of slick new ones! See you Saturday morning on Food Network at 10 ET/9 CT, friends! Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away...(um, what??)  my comment: celery log. An old fashioned idea indeed.

November 8 at 6:48 AM ·

Introducing The Pioneer Woman refrigerated entrées, sides, and breakfast bowls! I've been working on these for many delicious months...and I'm very, very excited! Put a full meal together or supplement your own dinner with a yummy side. (OR use your creativity: My current fave is heating the bacon meatloaf, then slicing it and making it into a sandwich on a toasted deli roll with mozzarella and arugula. YES!) Lots of testing and tasting (and exercising; ha) have gone into these, and I hope you love them, friends. And I hope they lend you a helping hand on those crazy-busy days. Find them in the refrigerated section at Walmart! (Psst. The Mac and Cheese is dreamy...) my comment:  she has finally told her reeple about the food line a good week after it came out. 

November 5 at 4:29 PM ·

We have to start tonight or we won't get 'em all in by Christmas!?It's a new season of Christmas Cookie Challenge on Food Network and the competition is fierce and phenomenal! It starts tonight at 10 pm ET/9 pm CT and there is much deliciousness, fun, and holiday cheer ahead. See ya tonight!  my comment: Is there another installment?

Alecia Lane ONeill Thank you for joining HULU!! I switched from cable to streaming last year and missed your show the most! So glad I was able to see your episode about freezer desserts! :)

My comment: What is hulu?

Long story short, I've been watching Food Network for the first time in my life while visiting my grandma at the nursing home. I visit between 6pm-8pm and watching any form of the news is unbearable. Tonight, I caught half of two episodes of Christmas Cookie Challenge, both judged by Ree. I had to leave midway through the second one, and was apparently more invested than I realized... fast forward 1.5 hours later, and I'm still searching for the damn winner (no idea what year, what season... all I know is I was rooting for the New Mexico window scenes by the baker from Albuquerque) and have made my way through a half-dozen pages of this thread, never having laid eyes on Ree before tonight.

I have snorted with laughter many a time over the past few pages, but I admit I'm positively intrigued. Is anyone willing to summarize what exactly makes Ree so contemptible? It's not a challenge to your opinions; I am just truly wildly curious at this point. Step forth, please and thank you, any who are willing to enlighten me!

On what is probably a related note, I feel like this description from the fanatical Facebook group is something I will think of in bed tonight, or at work three months from now, and die laughing all over again:

I prepared the meal and he didn't want it so I fixed him a sandwich. I ate it, the gravy cooks separately for 45 seconds in the microwave and was messy to handle, the coating on the steak fell off and the steak had mystery stringy parts that were weren't palatable.

The coating on the steak fell off. Thank you.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, londonfroglet said:

I have snorted with laughter many a time over the past few pages, but I admit I'm positively intrigued. Is anyone willing to summarize what exactly makes Ree so contemptible? It's not a challenge to your opinions; I am just truly wildly curious at this point. Step forth, please and thank you, any who are willing to enlighten me!

Speaking only for myself, I despise that she has created this "accidental country girl" persona and acts like she did not plan every minute of moving in with her rich rancher husband who gets subsidies from the government. And her stupid hair. And her annoying colloquialisms. And the way she enforces rigid stupid gender stereotypes on her show (womenfolk eat salads but menfolk don't eat scary green things, etc). And the fact that she can't cook.

Other than that, no issues. I will grant that she is more tolerable on the cookie competition than on her stand-and-stir show.

Edited by jcbrown
forgot what forum I was in
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, londonfroglet said:

Step forth, please and thank you, any who are willing to enlighten me!

For me it's her total lack of any type of the basics of taste or ingredient combinations such as the recent abomination of "celery logs" filled with pimento cheese, adobo sauce, dijon mustard, cream cheese and raisin.  And her ubiquitous use of sugar in all forms even when it's not appropriate and then heaping it all using "buncha" as measurements.  And her layering of crap (ice cream topped with gummy bears, cookie crumbles, sprinkles, hot fudge all at once) "because I can". 

And that rictus smile. God, woman, stop grinning like an idiot.

Plus all of the above from jcbrown.  She came from a wealthy family and married money so stop with the "lil ole me" country girl BS.

• Love 8

How much time do you have?  ;-)

@londonfroglet, if you were watching this year's Christmas Cookie Competition (or whatever it's called) in the first episode, the guy with the last name of Whaley, (first name Kellen?) won. He is the one who made the reddish colored train with the "naughty" and "nice" freight cars and was the last one shown. He also made those whale cookies with the Santa hats in the first heat. I was rooting for him because he's from my hometown. He was the requisite "home baker."

I remember the cookie contestant from last year who made those beautiful desert stained glass window cookies, but I'm sorry that I don't remember who won.

• Love 4

The contrived nature of the "set pieces". the forced giddy ditzyness, the unmistakable feeling she's taking her fans (of which there are many, who live by PW's every word and think she's a friend, poor deluded souls) for mugs, the cynical commercialiation/promotion of "the brand", portraying a mythical ordinary-ness.  Enough to be going on with?!  Oh...her food is pretty rubbish, too: Mrs Drummond has no concept of Less Is More.

• Love 4

This has been incredibly enlightening, and I thank you all for the feedback. I'm sure I couldn't make heads or tails of her recipes, but I had no idea about the Drummonds' personal wealth and land ownership, and could absolutely see how the simple prairie lady persona would seem manipulative/disingenuous at best, not to mention grate on one's nerves to high holy hell. It's slow at work, so I think I'll venture back another four or forty pages here and do some more reading. Thanks again!

PS - Thanks to some fine local news reporting, I can happily confirm that Desert Window Scene Lady from Albuquerque did win the Christmas Cookie Challenge, in what was apparently the sixth episode of the 2017 season.

• Love 4

Caught a bit of her Breakfast for Dinner Episode. WTF with pancakes with wild rice? She said that they were inspired by a trip to MN when she had them brought to her for breakfast by Room Service because she was missing her children. Why ever would someone want to ruin a perfectly good pancake? I get blueberries, bananas or apples but adding more carbohydrates to your starch? SMH. I just don’t get the logic of it plus it sounds fattening. 

I think that Ree gets a lot of her inspiration from hotel room service menus. She has mentioned that more than once.

But thanks for mentioning it anyway. That reminds me that for Thanksgiving -- in lieu of stuffing and potatoes -- I make some pretty yummy wild rice cakes.  My recipe is an adaptation from what started out as one of Martha Stewart's. 

• Love 2

PW's "take" on croutons was an eye-opener.  Rather than bite-sized pieces of bread she tore a ciabatta loaf into BOULDERS to scatter-bomb atop a supper dish of chicken cooked on a sheet pan (which also involved tomatoes and green beans...I missed the beginning, so have no idea what level of seasoning oddity might have crept in) then shoved into back into the oven for a final 10 mins or so, to allow the boulders to toast/ crisp up.  All I could think about was my poor teeth biting into a sharp shard of industrial-sized crunchy ciabatta crouton. 

Don't know why/how the quotey thing appeared...can't get rid of it!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In the same dish? Bleh.

Yep.  I found the recipe.  The toms and green beans get a blast of the same marinade as the chicken (I can see no point in marinading green beans).  Recipe on the PW website doesn't mention the ciabatta croutons, tho - a suggestion to serve with a loaf of crusty Italian bread.  (and, as a variation: crumble some feta over the finished dish: that's a no from me)

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/italian-chicken-sheet-pan-supper/

Modest (!) quantity of garlic in the marinade: 5 cloves.  It seems that PW buys (BUYS) packs of ready-to-use/peeled garlic cloves you can get in the supermarket.  Is it just me, or isn't this a mega-watt waste of money?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Mandolia said:

(I can see no point in marinading green beans

For what it's worth, we have a family recipe of Italian green beans marinated. They're yummy! But they're meant as a cold side dish in the summer. I need to dig it out. I think it's olive oil, wine vinegar, red onions, garlic, and beans. 

@londonfroglet to add to what everyone else said, Ree's blatant co-op (cough) of recipes from books of local recipes. SO many over the years. Less these days but yeah, so many. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

For what it's worth, we have a family recipe of Italian green beans marinated. They're yummy! But they're meant as a cold side dish in the summer. I need to dig it out. I think it's olive oil, wine vinegar, red onions, garlic, and beans. 

That's not a marinade, that's a dressing, as in salad dressing, which is something you would do to a vegetable.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I've had green bean salad in Italy (and, tho' my family has no connection to Italy, it's also something my mother used to do) - beans cooked until just done, drained then a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, a splash of balsamic, small amount of crushed garlic over, salt & pepper which is poured over the beans while still warm.  And jolly good it is, too, as a summer salad!  It's the marinading pre cooking/roasting in the oven that I can't get my head round.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I once lost my mind and put grated carrots in my chili. I had to throw the whole thing away. Demonic possession. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If I get a batch of particularly acid-ish tomatoes I will add some grated carrots to the sauce. It sweetens it as well as giving it some body. When my kid was young it was also a hidden way to get some hidden vegetables into the belly. 

• Love 3
On 11/15/2018 at 10:11 AM, CharlizeCat said:

I had a hair stylist once who said she put celery in her chili recipe. Blurgh ... 

Some people make it like that. My mom would if I didn't absolutely hate celery in anything but soup. In chili? Big NO.

• Love 1

On the facebook page for the PW fan club a horror story about a pressure cooker that exploded in a lady's face with some aweful photos. I can't seem to copy it here. She advises to not use pressure cookers. No, it was not Ree's instapot.  She was burned badly, second degree. Poor lady!!