Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

Please, anybody correct me if I am wrong.

It's a chili without beans. Then each person customizes it to their taste with spaghetti, beans, onion and cheese.  So, you can technically have it "five ways."

I don't know much about the chili recipe, but I think it's a bit different from what we are used to with chili powder, cumin, etc. I want to say it has a hint of cinnamon. 

Hi Charlize cat. Part of the secret to Cincinnati chili is actually sort of simmering  the ground beef with some water. It causes the meat to become more fine, if that makes sense. The sauce is a bit thinner than a hearty Texas type chili as well. Then a hint of cinnamon and clove in addition to chili powder etc. 

• Love 2

Cincinnati Chili 

Ingredients:

2 tsp table salt, plus more to taste
1 1/2 lbs 80% lean ground beef (chuck)
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tsp)
2 Tbs chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 1//2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 Tbs cider vinegar
2 tsp dark brown sugar
Franks Hot Sauce to taste

Accompaniments
1 lb spaghetti, cooked, drained, and tossed with 2 Tbs butter
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion, chopped, rinsed in cold water and drained

Directions

1. Bring 2 quarts water and 1 tsp of salt to a boil (I use a 6 qt Dutch oven). Add the ground beef, stirring vigorously to separate the meat into individual strands. As soon as the foam from the meat rises to the top (about 30 seconds), and before the water resumes boiling, skim off the foam and drain the meat into a strainer and set it aside. (This step is necessary to remove most of the fat and grease from the meat-- there's no other effective way to do it once the meat is incorporated in the sauce.)

2. Rinse and dry the empty Dutch oven. Set the pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions (the 2 minced onions- not the one for serving) and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and just golden around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the spices (chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, black pepper, and 1 tsp salt). Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant (30 more seconds). Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, water, vinegar, and sugar, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any fond.

3. Add the blanched beef and increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is a deep red and has thickened slightly (about 1 hour). Using a splatter screen on the top of your pan is wise. You can't cover it with a lid because you need it to reduce, but it may spurt and splatter a bit. Season with salt and hot sauce to taste.

4. To serve, divide buttered spaghetti among individual bowls. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti and top with the cheese, beans, and onion.

-- Adapted America's Test Kitchen recipe 

• Love 5

I just made Ree's siracha popcorn.  Nothing special.  It tastes like popcorn with hot sauce on it. I ate half and threw the rest away. I don't know what I was thinking to try it. Now on  the kitchen they have a woman on making pumpkin coffee cake. Yuk. She says she lost weight on a special diet which includes "gluten free."  Gluten free is bunk, just a way for some people to make money selling you unnecessary things, including books. I think the disease that really does need it is celiac disease, the rest are just trendy yuppie hipsters shopping at whole foods (whole paycheck). Ree's pizza recipies from her pizza joint were nothing special. And she sells liquor at a pizza joint. With a bar. The not nots are just extra carbs, high calorie/sugar.

• Love 5

I think Ree's obsession with hot things is just like a drug user.  You get used to a certain level of drugs and then it becomes less potent so you keep increasing it to support your habit.  Ree's taste buds are so used to being burned into oblivion that she needs to keep adding more and more hot crap just to taste something.

• Love 6

Here’s a fall recipe that I make for my brother as it’s his favorite. I can use it for bartering or favors. My mother was a lousy cook so I used to hang out at neighbors homes to watch them cook and at the age of 11 took over cooking for the family. My brother considers my cooking as home cooking. Comfort food. I make tapioca by the package directions and instead of adding a tsp of vanilla extract I substitute half vanilla and half maple syrup extract. You could do a whole tsp of maple if you’re really into it. Then I crush (in a zip lock type bag and rolling pin) 1/2 C pecans (whatever you prefer) and add them at the end when I add the extracts.  Yummy Maple Pecan tapioca. 

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 4:40 PM, Kohola3 said:

I think Ree's obsession with hot things is just like a drug user.  You get used to a certain level of drugs and then it becomes less potent so you keep increasing it to support your habit.  Ree's taste buds are so used to being burned into oblivion that she needs to keep adding more and more hot crap just to taste something.

I read somewhere ages ago that what I call hot peppers are, indeed, addictive and the more you have the "hotter" you can stand and the more you use  Well-known that hot peppers release endorphins, so maybe PW suffers from acute peppers' euphoria?!

• Love 4
On 9/16/2018 at 3:26 PM, Automne said:

FN is doing a mini-marathon of her “16-minute meals” episodes. I truly hate her notion of 16-minute meals. When does the timer start? When you actually start cooking? Prep alone would take 16 minutes. There’s also the fact that Ree’s 24 hours per day is not the same as the 24 hours her audience has. Anybody testing Ree’s 16-minute meals is going to be disappointed at how much longer it will take them because they barely have a fraction of the resources Ree has at her disposal.

I so agree about this.  And it always irritates me.  It's the same with Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals (some of which are really good but they take WAY longer because of getting the required kit together).  It's all dependent on having every last thing to hand before a knife even touches the ingredients.  I don't just mean the physical elements of a recipe and required seasonings, etc: it's a pre-heated oven, maybe a frying pan (skillet!) on the hob, a pan of simmering water, the food processor in place.    Realistically, the timings don't work when you add on the preliminaries (as an example, my food processor "lives" in a kitchen cupboard and takes more than a moment or two to extract and put in place on the counter). 

• Love 8

The recipe might take me 15 minutes but I’m not the fastest chopper and to get those neat little bowls of all the prepped ingredients takes me about a half hour (wash, dry, chop to size, move onto the next ingredient...). She also has a few freezers so all those “just pull it out of your freezer and reheat” ones annoy me too. There’s no way I have room to freeze fruit slushees  for an hour before serving. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The recipe might take me 15 minutes but I’m not the fastest chopper and to get those neat little bowls of all the prepped ingredients takes me about a half hour (wash, dry, chop to size, move onto the next ingredient...). She also has a few freezers so all those “just pull it out of your freezer and reheat” ones annoy me too. There’s no way I have room to freeze fruit slushees  for an hour before serving. 

It wasn't anybody's recipe - a Mandolia Throw Together - but the other day I cooked fresh linguine in one pan (takes 1 or 2 mins) and in a deep sided frying pan sauteed finely diced shallots to which I added 3 cloves of garlic "squished" in garlic press, then a good slug of white wine which I let bubble away to burn off the alcohol.  I had a half-used jar of sun-dried tomatoes so chopped those up and added to the mixture.  This was followed by the addition of a small carton single cream *...mixed together, added s & p.  On not too high a temperature in case of sauce splittlng.   Bag of baby spinach tossed in and mixed around.  Grating of nutmeg.  When baby spinach was wilted, I chucked the pasta into the pan of boiling water (salt and a glug of olive oil added to the water) THEN added fresh/raw king prawns (shells removed) to the sauce.  Another splosh of wine.  Stirred around until prawns cooked...which is moments, really.   Drained the linguine and poured onto the sauce and using pasta tongs tossed everything around.  Tasted.  Adjusted seasoning.  (I didn't intend it to be something swimming in sauce, more "coated")  Sprinkling of parsley on each serving.  Served with garlic bread and a simple salad of salad leaves and avo, with an instant dressing of olive oil from the sun-dried toms jar/balsamic/squeeze of lemon/s & p.  It was quick to do (and commented upon as being delicious) but, despite having everything at my fingertips, I can't say I broke a world record for speed! 

* Single cream in the UK - not sure what the equivalent is in the States?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mandolia said:

Single cream in the UK - not sure what the equivalent is in the States?

My guess is either half and half or light heavy cream (not the whipping kind). So glad to see that you added a bit of nutmeg. It really enhances the flavor of the spinach. Yum

24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My guess is either half and half or light heavy cream (not the whipping kind). So glad to see that you added a bit of nutmeg. It really enhances the flavor of the spinach. Yum

I use lots of nutmeg.  In white sauce and also mashed potato. Always with spinach - if not doing creamed spinach, steamed spinach with lemon juice, nutmeg, s & p. 

Thank you for trying to unravel my muddles over the different types of cream UK versus the States.

And, of course, I should have said shrimp rather than prawn!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mandolia said:

I use lots of nutmeg.  In white sauce and also mashed potato. Always with spinach - if not doing creamed spinach, steamed spinach with lemon juice, nutmeg, s & p. 

Thank you for trying to unravel my muddles over the different types of cream UK versus the States.

And, of course, I should have said shrimp rather than prawn!

I used to live in Scotland. I’m used to a lot of the conversions and different words. 

Saw the Wendy Williams show today. (Nursing a sprained ankle). She said that she likes to watch her show but doesn’t like the way that her food looks. Huh? Then why does she watch it? WW states she’s a vegetarian and Ree does a lot of meat dishes. Hmmm 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I used to live in Scotland. I’m used to a lot of the conversions and different words. 

It can be a bit confusing.  Some things totally stump me, tho, and different types of cream is one of them!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Mandolia said:

It can be a bit confusing.  Some things totally stump me, tho, and different types of cream is one of them!

Nae bother. I’m here to help. I want us all to be able to do our best. 

• Love 2

Mandolia, here's one for you.  What is caster sugar? I've heard Nigella and Lorraine Pascal refer to it and see it all the time in U.K. recipes.  I assumed it is is like U.S. granulated sugar (regular white table sugar.) Is it something different?  Thanks, from you Yankee pal in the Midwest!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

Mandolia, here's one for you.  What is caster sugar? I've heard Nigella and Lorraine Pascal refer to it and see it all the time in U.K. recipes.  I assumed it is is like U.S. granulated sugar (regular white table sugar.) Is it something different?  Thanks, from you Yankee pal in the Midwest!

Hi CharlizeCat!  UK caster sugar has finer granules when compared to UK granulated sugar, and is used in baking and for making meringues/sorbets, etc.  Granulated sugar in the UK is "coarser" (slightly bigger granules) when compared to US granulated sugar.  In the States I think there's something called "bakers sugar" which is akin to caster sugar.  (Icing sugar in the UK = confectioners sugar in the States) 

I find the subtle differences between UK and US cooking-speak fascinating - sometimes it feels as if they are 2 different languages, requiring a dictionary!!

• Love 4
17 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

This one works well for substituting  

PS Sorry about the double photo post  I have the technological skills of a guppy! 

5109E307-0333-4DC4-9BE6-7C4D30AD4C27.jpeg

E3AE5C6C-C600-47AC-AF6A-6B8DFD0F6810.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

OK. I think I have seen that product before. I also think I have heard of a trick where you can mill regular granulated sugar in a food processor to make it finer.  ...

Or a blender.  The only thing I've ever found it useful for was dissolving in cold liquid (lemonade, cocktails, etc.) rather than hot.

• Love 1

I watch a lot of British cooking shows, so I'm bilingual, for lack of a better term.  Caster sugar is the same as superfine sugar.  For single cream, we'd use 10% cream (half-and-half), and for double cream we'd use whipping cream (35% cream).  For golden syrup, we'd use dark corn syrup. And, according to Ree, instead of a glug of olive oil or a knob of butter, we'd just use a "buncha".  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, IOU Payne said:

I watch a lot of British cooking shows, so I'm bilingual, for lack of a better term.  Caster sugar is the same as superfine sugar.  For single cream, we'd use 10% cream (half-and-half), and for double cream we'd use whipping cream (35% cream).  For golden syrup, we'd use dark corn syrup. And, according to Ree, instead of a glug of olive oil or a knob of butter, we'd just use a "buncha".  

Bilingual: brilliant choice of word!  And "buncha" is a description I now use regularly (which makes me on the path to being semi-fluent).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

CharlizeCat and I both emailed her. CharlizeCat has more info than I do. Maybe PM her?

Hi Peaches: How do I PM her? I don't know how!

• Love 1

I will explain. A few weeks ago, I heard from Lura's husband that she went back into the hospital to look into some better pain management alternatives. I have heard nothing more.

My hopes and prayers are that maybe she went somewhere for rehab and pain management and physical therapy so she can come back home and resume her daily activities and not be in so much awful pain. This is just pure conjecture based on what has happened to other people I know who have been in similar situations.  I honestly have no idea of what is actually going on but hope that no news is good news. 

I don't think she would mind me updating you all and I will let you know if I hear anything more.

Lura, if you are reading this, please know that we miss you and are pulling for you!  We hope you will be back snarking with us soon. Holiday season on the ranch is fast approaching. We need you!  XOXO

• Love 4

Lura, if you are reading this, please know that we miss you and are pulling for you!  We hope you will be back snarking with us soon. Holiday season on the ranch is fast approaching. We need you!  XOXO

THIS!

18 hours ago, cathy said:

Hi Peaches: How do I PM her? I don't know how!

It's easy. Just click on the person's avatar and you will see their profile, there is a spot on the left that says "message". Just click on that and message away.

• Love 2

It’s funny I’ve watched this show for years and never noticed “buncha” until reading here and now its hilarious how much she says it!  Also in a little marathon she said “also known as” a lot.  Like “a quarter cup also known as 4 tablespoons”.  Less annoying but repetitive and kind of weird too.  

I don’t like the contrived farm scenes. For one they’re boring but I don’t enjoy watching the cattle work (or whatever) at all.  Recently they did something where it looked like they had smoke coming off of them whIch I never want to see again. I don’t ever want to see them herded into trucks. Relaxing on the land is ok but that’s it.

With the huge money she has you’d think she’d watch an episode and go “oh shit-do I really look like that.”  Not sure if she’s a true ginger but shorter and brown I think would be a good call.  I kind of feel bad harping on the physical but sometimes her appearance takes me out of the scene.

Im not as offended by her food as most here (hope it’s ok to still post).  Sometimes I find her food absurd but as a general rule ok.  The other day she did a burger that definitely got a wtf from me though. It had Mac and cheese and all kinds of other stuff. That’s ridiculous,  At a very basic level I find the Mac and cheese she made quickly loses flavor as it sits. It’s meant for instant eating and would just be blah on a burger. That’s the least of the sins of that monstrosity but it irked me because it wouldn’t even be good if that was your fancy.

• Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 8:47 AM, peacheslatour said:

This is such a great idea! I loved Farmhouse Rules. Nancy could be a bit much sometimes but her cooking credentials are impeccable. I learned a lot watching her and every time I tried one of her recipes it turned out fantastic.

I loved her kitchen.  I too want them to bring back this show.  I also liked Molly Yeh.  I do love Ree's pantry.  I marvel at how much she spent on Le Creuset and Kitchenaides.  

On 8/14/2018 at 4:23 PM, Automne said:

Neither. It’s Shaye Elliott. She had a 6-episode run of a show called The Homestead Table a couple of months ago. I’m guessing it was a test season (but when they barely advertise it...). I liked it, but checking out her website, I noticed the DoTerra bull (http://theelliotthomestead.com/).

I have a friend that got out of LuLaRo a few months ago and I was just informed she is now knee deep into DoTerra.  I just shake me head.  What is stupid is she works in a salon that sells oils etc.  Not going to a DoTerra party should she have one.

I think I watched only one ep of The Homestead Table.  It wasn't interesting enough to keep me.

I keep thinking I am going to quit Ree but I just can't quit seeing how she is going to ruin perfectly good food.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2018 at 5:35 PM, maggiemae said:

I'm not usually a fan of g/b casserole but was asked to bring it for T-day a few years ago. I found Alton Brown's recipe which is totally from scratch and it was wonderful! Actually, I did break down and used Trader Joe's French Fried Onion Rings which I think are better than the normal brand used. 

It included real mushrooms, fresh green beans, his own white sauce, nutmeg, etc. It was a real hit!

I may have to try that.  The casserole wasn't a thing at our family holiday meals so I made it once for my husband having never had it myself.  I was not a fan and felt it needed something.  This homemade version might be it.  I will give it a whirl.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2018 at 4:32 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Thank you, fairfaxx. Yes, Charlize has "tortitude" definitely. She is extremely spoiled and love to be groomed. When she wants grooming or treats she wants it NOW and is very vocal. LOL! She also makes a fuss if I do not get up early enough to suit her to open the blinds so she can watch the birds and squirrels. OTOH, she is a very, very sweet and affectionate lap kitty and smart as can be. I got very luck with this one.  She's a real treasure!

I got a tortie 2 years ago and had never heard of tortitude before that.  Yes indeed.  It is a thing.  Love that little stinker but that attitude is pretty funny.  Your kitty is beautiful!

• Love 2

It’s funny how I’ve heard things attributed to cats according to their colors. Loved the word tortitude for your kitties. Mine are allegedly bad luck (black), pumpkin (orange) are said to be affectionate and grey are supposed to be smart. 

One of Ree’s basset hounds died awhile ago...does she still have the other one. Charlie? Funny that they have had dogs but I don’t remember seeing a cat. Cats are good barn animals. They keep away the mice that get into grains. Perhaps Ree doesn’t have the affection necessary to own a cat (or let a cat own her lol). 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 4
On 9/18/2018 at 5:54 AM, chessiegal said:

Sara Moulton of Weeknight Meals also films in her own kitchen. Come to think of it, Julia Child did in her later shows, Cooking with Julia and Baking with Julia. Her kitchen is now in the American History Smithsonian. I spent an hour there, even though the kitchen is not large, they had so many informative exhibits associated with it.

Every time I hear someone say on House Hunters they could NEVER cook a meal in whatever smallish kitchen they are looking at I think of Julia Child.  That kitchen was pretty small.  I took lots of pics of it when at the Smithsonian.  If she could cook fantastic meals in that small space I think any American can handle a smallish kitchen.  

• Love 4
On 9/23/2018 at 11:36 AM, peacheslatour said:

That is so sweet. I wish my kitty had a favorite food, she used to like tuna but shows tepid interest now. It will be time for her to go soon, I would dearly love it if I could give her a real treat for her last meal.

My tortie Pippi loves bran muffins.  Goes effin crazy when I have mine on my days off.  Dancing around my feet, standing on her back feet with her front feet on the table trying to get at it, chirping.  It is insane.  I give her little tiny bits but not much.  That bugs her.  She wants the whole dang thing.

I need to go find those links about Ree walking off a set.  I have always suspected she isn't that nice.  Maybe she doesn't feel well after stuffing her maw with all that butter.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Every time I hear someone say on House Hunters they could NEVER cook a meal in whatever smallish kitchen they are looking at I think of Julia Child.  That kitchen was pretty small.  I took lots of pics of it when at the Smithsonian.  If she could cook fantastic meals in that small space I think any American can handle a smallish kitchen.  

My brother has a boat. When I go on a trip with them I’m the galley queen. You’d be amazed at what I can turn out with limited space and oven, fridge, prep area etc. You just have to to use a game plan and be methodical. These huge kitchens that people have are for show. Especially when I see some of the women on the Housewives shows that have huge ones or more than one kitchen and they don’t even cook! It’s like they have become a status symbol. Like their racks of designer shoes are not enough. 

10 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I need to go find those links about Ree walking off a set.  I have always suspected she isn't that nice.  Maybe she doesn't feel well after stuffing her maw with all that butter.

What? Please post a link if you find one. Thanks. 

• Love 4

It’s funny how I’ve heard things attributed to cats according to their colors. Loved the word tortitude for your kitties. Mine are allegedly bad luck (black), pumpkin (orange) are said to be affectionate and grey are supposed to be smart. 

My tortie is queen of the world and she knows it. My grey boy is the dumbest cat I've ever had but by god, does he try. He is the sweetest, most loving thing in the world but he is a few tacos short a combo platter. He is not a lap cat but he wants to be petted ALL THE TIME. We tell him "lie down" and he lays his head down with his butt up in the air. We are fond of saying in another life he would have been a Wal Mart greeter. Never met a stranger.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

That is so sweet. I wish my kitty had a favorite food, she used to like tuna but shows tepid interest now. It will be time for her to go soon, I would dearly love it if I could give her a real treat for her last meal.

How do you know she will die soon? Does she have a disease? 

• Love 1

Ah ... all the kitty stories. I have had black cats. In fact, when I was introduced to Charlize, the vet's wife didn't know if I would want her because she wasn't solid black.  They all have their own personalities, don't they? 

I have seen Ree with cats on that one show where she is left all alone to her own devices for the weekend. Between stuffing her face, she did manage to feed the animals. There were a couple of cats on the back porch. I remember Ree showing that she had to put the bowls of cat food on the railing so that the dogs wouldn't eat it.  I definitely don't think Ree is a cat person.  They are too difficult to control.  Everybody I've ever known who has lived on a farm and had cats, did not keep any as pets. They all lived in the barns and sheds. A lot of the cats were feral cats and had no interest in people or indoor living whatsoever. They lived happily in the barn and killed rodents. 

My favorite farm/ranch dogs are border collies. They are so smart. I love to watch demonstrations of them cutting sheep. 

• Love 2