Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Do you have a cat? Share your story, if you're so inclined! There's enough cattle and dog talk from Ree and Ladd. We need some feline love!!

We're glamping for a few days at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. When I get home, I'll have to share a picture of Dear Prudence, our snowshoe Siamese. 

I love dogs, too.  I was just poking fun at Ree and her canine friends, especially when she "bathes" them in the dirty creek.

I was at the hardware store on Friday and two ladies had their shopping cart filled with adorable puppies. They were a mix of poodle and some type of large long-haired chihuahua. (The pups' parents were also in the cart, so I could look at them and definitely see what traits crossed to their pups.) The pups had silky curly tan colored hair. The ladies said they were taking the dogs out to socialize them and encouraged me to pet them. She said that the dogs were bred so the chihuahua cross would make the dogs' coats curly, put softer looser curls than a poodle would have. 

More PW Magazine fun! Who accessorized this ugly-ass poncho better? I’m going with Missy, because when you have something that colorfully hideous, best to pair it with the LBD and understated shoes so you don’t look like a full trainwreck. Whereas Ree fully embraces being a calamity.

25g7vps.jpg

qpoy04.jpg

Well, at least Ree isn’t trying to hide her wealth anymore. They legit converted a bedroom into a pantry for the show. Also in this picture, a glimpse of Paige’s tragically fried hair. Nothing about her coloring says that she could ever pull of platinum blonde. Just yikes. 

j0eicw.jpg

A look at the catering crew and Ree’s ugly grandma-curtain tops:

r26j9i.jpg

• Love 1

"I like putting things together that don't necessarily match".  Gee, ya think?  And they don't just not match, they burn your retinas.  Much like the non-matching ingredients burn your taste buds.

Oh, Paige, just no girl.  That hair is a total train wreck.

• Love 3

Word to all the above.

I do agree with Ree's idea to wear one simple SOLID COLORED shirt all the time, ala Ina. 

Makes me wonder what her natural hair color is. (I should talk as I've been coloring my hair for so long, I'd have no idea!)

I think Paige's look must be popular right now. When I got my hair done two weeks ago, the client in the next chair looked like she was in her 20s and had the platinum balyage and heavy dark eyebrows. (Her hair looked 1000X better than Paige's.) My understanding is that's a trend on Instagram, which I don't follow.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2018 at 7:25 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Yes. It is and as a matter of fact, today is her birthday (according to the vet) and she turned 10!

She is beautiful. I ask because she looks like my Tortie, Peaches La Tour. She is 12 and has feline dementia but I love her dearly.

She really is a beauty.  I love the symmetrical division -- people say that the torti personality is as dramatic as the appearance, which isn't hard to believe.  Seems like "Diva" would be an apt name.

I call them Picasso cats. And they definitely have "tortitude"!

• Love 1

My sister had a diluted tortie who lived to be 18. She had an interesting mix of colors with white, light gray and almost hints of blue-gray and peach. Celia (the cat) was a little more reserved than Charlize is but she definitely had the "wail." Celia also had a nervous habit of pulling out her hair when she was distressed. On the opposite end, Charlize is obsessed with grooming herself (when she is not insisting that I do so!)  Cats ... what strange lovable creatures they are.

It's a bad cat day around here today. Both vacuuming and I'm breaking in my new carpet cleaner, which has sat unused in the closet for about two years. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

My sister had a diluted tortie who lived to be 18. She had an interesting mix of colors with white, light gray and almost hints of blue-gray and peach. Celia (the cat) was a little more reserved than Charlize is but she definitely had the "wail." Celia also had a nervous habit of pulling out her hair when she was distressed. On the opposite end, Charlize is obsessed with grooming herself (when she is not insisting that I do so!)  Cats ... what strange lovable creatures they are.

It's a bad cat day around here today. Both vacuuming and I'm breaking in my new carpet cleaner, which has sat unused in the closet for about two years. 

Peaches is a regular dark tortie but the last 2 inches or so of her tail is peach. What is the "wail"? Peaches wails and I thought it was part of her dementia.

• Love 1

My mom has a tortie, and exhibits the same behavior as yours. She wails when my mother goes away, has a very bad tortitude, and is very protective and obsessed with my mom, her owner. She has chewed off the lower third of her fur on her abdomen. The vet calls her "psycho." I have a cat that loves to hunt and bring in birds, mice, rabbits, both dead and alive. I can't stop it as she insists on going out. Look at Ree's facebook page. Stacey Ann Smith Why the magazine when you got all the cookbooks , tv and etc. she's gotten the big head and she never responds back to her fans . She's let fame go to her head. And your stuff is too pricey also.  That is a quote from one of her fans that I copied and pasted. She makes a good point.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What is the "wail"? Peaches wails and I thought it was part of her dementia.

I just mean typical meowing, but Charlize is so loud and persistent and I scold her and say, "Don't wail." I guess it's really an incorrect term. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I just mean typical meowing, but Charlize is so loud and persistent and I scold her and say, "Don't wail." I guess it's really an incorrect term. 

Peaches does it if she realizes we have left the room or I think she some times doesn't know where she is unless we talk to her.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Automne said:

More PW Magazine fun! Who accessorized this ugly-ass poncho better? I’m going with Missy, because when you have something that colorfully hideous, best to pair it with the LBD and understated shoes so you don’t look like a full trainwreck. Whereas Ree fully embraces being a calamity.

25g7vps.jpg

qpoy04.jpg

Well, at least Ree isn’t trying to hide her wealth anymore. They legit converted a bedroom into a pantry for the show. Also in this picture, a glimpse of Paige’s tragically fried hair. Nothing about her coloring says that she could ever pull of platinum blonde. Just yikes. 

j0eicw.jpg

A look at the catering crew and Ree’s ugly grandma-curtain tops:

r26j9i.jpg

Oh my! That outfit certainly is fugly.  Stacy and Clinton would NOT approve.

Paige's hair looks terrible. Deep fried platinum is not her color.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

So, the Lodge has TWO kitchens!!!  I thought it was lavish enough to have a spare house. The spare house has an extra kitchen!  Wow. 

It does rather make a mockery of the "ordinary" lives Ree and her husband, their family and assorted cowboys purport to lead!  And a chef to feed the crew.  All Big Business for Mrs Drummond.  As if that's a surprise.

The two poncho outfits are beyond awful.  Although, as someone else said, Missy had the better idea based on something so hideous. 

Here in the UK we've started getting some more recent episodes.  I watched a couple back-to-back yesterday afternoon (don't tell on me: I should have been working on spreadsheets).  Nothing hugely different: more or less the same Tex-Mex/cowboy friendly food with a shovel-load of jalapeno, just shot from a different angle.  With some bits of the Merc thrown into the mix and random delivery of goodies hither and thither.  Ree in Lady Bountiful mode is a force of nature which is about as welcome as a cyclone.  The bit part players look like startled deer in headlights when they receive these delights.

I really don't know why I watch as the contrived/choreographed nature of the whole thing is repetitive and irritating.  I do enjoy watching Ina Garten as I find her, in a strange way, rather soothing - it's as contrived/choreographed as The PW but somehow gently entertaining.  I just laugh when the Barefoot Contessa has one of her beach picnics, with the interior decoration chap creating a stage set on the sand - kilim rugs, baby palms in Moroccan planters, scatter cushions, etc, etc.  In a howling gale.  With very unhappy looking guests.  Just pure fun.  I'm never interested in puddings (sorry: UK-speak for dessert) but some of Ina's main courses do look wonderful and I would cook them.   And she's good at talking through technical bits which might be  daunting for someone who hasn't really ever cooked much. 

• Love 5

I wonder who laundered all those blouses.  I hope Ree pays her well.

You know Ree isn't overly busy if she has time to pull out a torch and toast marshmallows in the kitchen.

I don't know about you, but Ree's picture as a blonde made me laugh.  I'm sure she thought she was glamorous.  Not only that, but beautiful.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lura said:

I wonder who laundered all those blouses.  I hope Ree pays her well.

You know Ree isn't overly busy if she has time to pull out a torch and toast marshmallows in the kitchen.

I don't know about you, but Ree's picture as a blonde made me laugh.  I'm sure she thought she was glamorous.  Not only that, but beautiful.

The blonde Ree looks quite dreadful.  Her skin tone just isn't suited to blonde.  (ditto her daughter and the dreadful "new hair" - the poor girl looks like a wraith who has never seen daylight.)

• Love 3

My thoughts are that Ree's hair looked best when she first started her show and it was a medium brownish-dark auburn shade. It also was a bit shorter and looked a lot healthier.

If you will please indulge me one more time. My sister volunteers in the cat area of a local animal shelter and their quote on their website yesterday:

Tortoiseshell cats: "Some people think Tortoiseshell cats are lucky! In traditional folklore, the tortoiseshell cat was said to bring good luck."
"For this reason, the cats are sometimes called “money cats” in the United States."

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

My thoughts are that Ree's hair looked best when she first started her show and it was a medium brownish-dark auburn shade. It also was a bit shorter and looked a lot healthier.

Agreed.  Does she think she's some sort of standout because redheads are rare?  Doesn't she know that red from a bottle doesn't cut it?  Especially the garish shade she chooses?

• Love 1

I think I've said how I used to have my hair colored red for many many years. My dad had dark auburn hair but he was practically bald by the time he was in his 20, but I had a little genetic color to work with. There were also times when I tried to do it myself from a box and it is HARD and ended up with Ree-like results. Red is a difficult color because it's difficult to find the right shade to match your skin tone, especially if you have cool undertones like I do and I believe Ree does as well. Also, red fades so fast, even when the pros do it.

If she insists on having *iconic* (cough) red hair, then find a professional to find the right shade and match the f-ing make up to go with it! And yes, wear solid neutral colored tops to not clash with the hair and make it stand out.  IDIOT!  Also, priding oneself on deliberately choosing clothes and accessories that don't go together isn't edgy and cool, it's stupid and the results speak for themselves. It takes a very practiced eye to pull that off, which Ree obviously doesn't possess.

Yes, Stacy and Clinton need to come out of retirement and hold an emergency intervention on this clown.

• Love 5

Oh, geez.  A "care package" for Paigey can't be far off.  Between tears, I imagine Ree is making a list of goodies to mail to Paige show off to Paige's sorority sisters.  After all, it isn't everyone who has clever Ree Drummond for a mother.  How many more sunrises can Bryce bear to paint?  Hmmm... I guess Ree's going to have to have tea with Brycie and Toddy from now on.  That should be interesting.

With Ree going on and on, lamenting the departure of each child, can you imagine how she'll snort and sob at their weddings?  She'll be inconsolable.  They'll have to push her back up the aisle on a gurney.  Poor kids.  I have to say I'd love to be there.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2
On 9/6/2018 at 2:15 PM, Lura said:

With Ree going on and on, lamenting the departure of each child, can you imagine how she'll snort and sob at their weddings? 

No worries, she'll have her love Ladd's money to keep her warm.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 3

On today's episode Ree, her mom, and sister all ate crème brulee from pots in the middle of the table, instead of placing the dishes in front of each person. I read somewhere that this is an example of psychological manipulation.  It is "female bonding" (all 3 of them reaching into the center of the table with their spoons). That is kind of awkward, it does not make sense. It was done to draw the audience, who are nearly all female, more into the show, by manipulating their emotions.  In past shows Ree would make an embarrassing groan while tasting something.  It sounded like she was having an orgasm.  That must be purposeful manipulation.  I'm surprised none of the Reeple have written complaints on her facebook page about that.  They are, after all, ultra religious, wholesome church homeschoolers, who would be offended by it if they only understood what Ree and her producers were doing!!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

What! You don't think Ree washes and irons all those hideous tops herself?

Not that I am remotely cynical (much), but it would be interesting to know quite how many behind the scenes/invisible minions there are to perpetuate the myth that the Drummonds are just an ordinary ranching family (tho the gilt on the myth is a bit tarnished with the revelation of TWO kitchens plus a chef employed to cater for the crew).

• Love 3

Yesterday afternoon was a veritable feast of The Pioneer Woman on Food Network in the UK.  I could barely contain my delight.  Two new (to the UK) episodes followed by what must have been two of the original shows - Todd as a little boy displaying front teeth gap and Ree almost, but not quite, brunette rather than the burnished (?) red tresses.  Yes: I spent well nigh 2 hours watching when I could have been doing something useful.  It's jaw-droppingly, mind-bogglingly addictive.  Frankly, I fear for my sanity!

(I'd love it if someone could explain to me about home-schooling: it's not that I don't understand the concept and I know there is a set curriculum pattern to follow, but I find it odd that there's this buncha of children who don't attend local schools...is it because the local schools are lacking in some way, perhaps in terms of educational standards?)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mandolia said:

(I'd love it if someone could explain to me about home-schooling: it's not that I don't understand the concept and I know there is a set curriculum pattern to follow, but I find it odd that there's this buncha of children who don't attend local schools...is it because the local schools are lacking in some way, perhaps in terms of educational standards?)

In many cases of which I am aware, it's a religious thing.  Lots of fundie Christians and evangelical types don't want their kids exposed to the horrors of the outside world that might make them want to do awful things like go to college.  My friend's sister home schooled her kids along with other members of their congregation to ensure the girls grew up to be good little housewives subservient to their husbands and the boys to be good farmers and control their wives and make lots and lots of babies. 

I'm sure there are other reasons but around here it's either that or they don't trust the government (I live in a rural area and lots of paranoia in those back woods!).

• Love 4

All of the above of what Kohola3 said, and according to Ree, it was just too much to have to get up early to drive the kids to wherever to go to school.  I have to admit that I think I read that somewhere (maybe even here) so I can't substantiate it. However, that sounds exactly like an excuse Ree would make. I have no idea where the schools are in relation to the Drummond Ranch.

I find it interesting that Ree is able to breezily speed back and forth to the ranch in a single afternoon when she is providing treats for Bryce and Todd's football games (coached by none other than Ladd) or to and from the Merc or to oversee other pieces of her "empire."

From bits and pieces of news posts I have read on Facebook, it sounds like teachers in Oklahoma are woefully underpaid (as are all teachers) and went on strike in protest. I don't know how it goes in the UK, but teachers in the U.S. are paid terribly as well as they have to purchase any supplies needed for their classrooms out of their own pocket. NOT RIGHT!  All Ree has to do is send the kids out to one of the dirty farm ponds to study "biology" as well as watch her make homemade strawberry jam (which she was probably doing anyway for her blog) for "chemistry." 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

In many cases of which I am aware, it's a religious thing.  Lots of fundie Christians and evangelical types don't want their kids exposed to the horrors of the outside world that might make them want to do awful things like go to college.  My friend's sister home schooled her kids along with other members of their congregation to ensure the girls grew up to be good little housewives subservient to their husbands and the boys to be good farmers and control their wives and make lots and lots of babies. 

I'm sure there are other reasons but around here it's either that or they don't trust the government (I live in a rural area and lots of paranoia in those back woods!).

Kohola3, that's a really interesting insight - thank you so much for replying to my (rather random and slightly off-topic!) question. 

While every school isn't exactly excellent - we have the state school system in the UK, what you in the states would call "public school", and it is a lottery of which catchment area you fall into...some schools have a A+ reputation, some are shockingly low on the alphabet scale of grading.  I was very fortunate and went to private (what we call "public school"...all v confusing!) school throughout my education decades ago: only possible, really, because my father worked abroad and his company contract covered the cost of school fees (AND travelling to and from the West Indies for the school holidays).  There are scholarships/bursaries available for children within the state system to move across to private education IF there is exceptional talent in a given subject and you apply to the right place.

It's rather sad to think that there are children in the States insulated from the (pretty wretched) real world because of faith/beliefs or because of mistrust in the system.  Or both. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

All of the above of what Kohola3 said, and according to Ree, it was just too much to have to get up early to drive the kids to wherever to go to school.  I have to admit that I think I read that somewhere (maybe even here) so I can't substantiate it. However, that sounds exactly like an excuse Ree would make. I have no idea where the schools are in relation to the Drummond Ranch.

I find it interesting that Ree is able to breezily speed back and forth to the ranch in a single afternoon when she is providing treats for Bryce and Todd's football games (coached by none other than Ladd) or to and from the Merc or to oversee other pieces of her "empire."

From bits and pieces of news posts I have read on Facebook, it sounds like teachers in Oklahoma are woefully underpaid (as are all teachers) and went on strike in protest. I don't know how it goes in the UK, but teachers in the U.S. are paid terribly as well as they have to purchase any supplies needed for their classrooms out of their own pocket. NOT RIGHT!  All Ree has to do is send the kids out to one of the dirty farm ponds to study "biology" as well as watch her make homemade strawberry jam (which she was probably doing anyway for her blog) for "chemistry." 

Hi Charlize - in your first 2 paragraphs you've hit upon the things I'd wondered about. 

Funnily enough, the strawberry jam and "biology" episode was shown here yesterday.  I'm not entirely sure how useful staring at a mason jar full of dirty pond water is in terms of education but probably there was some sort of purpose to the exercise. 

Of course, I had no idea that the situation with teachers in Oklahoma was so weighed down with politics and/or funding.  How awful. 

• Love 1

Please somebody tell me I've not gone mad or started PW-inspired hallucinations: I swear the trailer to the new episodes we're getting here are a nod to Dallas in years gone by: same-ish music and same-ish stills of the "characters" in the opening credits.  I am sure I didn't imagine this.

In California, one reason for home-schooling is local law providing that children cannot be enrolled in public schools unless they've been vaccinated against various contagious diseases such as measles & chicken pox.  Parents who believe that vaccination might cause autism or is otherwise dangerous may decide to avoid public school rather than risk vaccination -- if private school isn't available due to cost or distance, etc., they may choose home-schooling. 

• Love 1

Another reason for home-schooling is the public schools are terrible. My grands in New Orleans are being home schooled because they can't afford Catholic school, and the public schools are terrible. My other grands in St. Petersburg, which has one of the worst public school systems in the country, luckily got into a good charter school.

The problem with home-schooling in the States is that it’s left up to each state to come up with regulations. So there are some states that say parents with an 8th grade education can homeschool their children. There are no federal standards to follow, AFAIK.

And a darker side of homeschooling is since parents can be their children’s teachers, abusive parents now have a way to keep their children away from mandated reporters.

• Love 4

Thank you Fairffax, chessiegal  and Automne  for the info.  I did wonder about whether there were different rules/criteria state-by-state.  Seems an absolute nightmare.  And the "darker side" is too awful to even contemplate.

No more questions, I promise!  I shall keep on track and "on topic"!

• Love 1

On the new show honoring Nan while in the car she looked like she was not wearing make-up.  She is plain, as in "Plain Jane."  And looking puffy, and older.  Too bad about Nan. Cancer is so prevalent.  Does anybody know what type of cancer Nan had?

I do wish the family would eat more vegetables.  Vegetables may be "uncool" for cowboys, not macho or Marlboro Man enough, but they've never actually killed anybody.

500 interesting (the same) things to do with ground beef is all very well but...

Root vegetables are wonderfully comforting in the winter: a big beef stew/casserole/call it what you will with loads of onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, herbs, beef stock, cooked for hours,  with mashed potatoes/carrots/parsnips (only a SMALL QUANTITY of butter added to the mash and possibly a dash of cream, plus lots of salt and pepper and grated nutmeg), with steamed spinach and cauliflower or broccoli is heaven on a plate.  (I do actually add a whole jalapeno pepper - or two - to the beef while it cooks...I also add a whole pepper when cooking pasta: scooped out before serving, otherwise seismic explosion of heat!)

Also, Ree never, ever seems to check the seasoning of what she cooks: just chucks in a pinch of this and dollop of that.  Then dissolves into a sort of miasma of pleasure when she has a forkful of the finished thing.  Which I find irritating and not true to life.  You do taste as you go along!  AND, with her prodigious use of tinned tomatoes, she never, ever adds  a touch of sugar...tinned tomatoes benefit from a bit of sugar. 

• Love 2

Goodness me, a new episode and Mrs Drummond has made A Discovery: adding milk to a ragu (messed up ground beef) (or what I call mince).  This not some new-fangled idea, of course.  I was told by an Italian friend, about a hundred years ago, that adding milk to the basic ragu was something her mother, her grandmother, her aunts, the whole caboodle of family and all their friends did.  Ever since I've always added milk when I've cooked ground beef/mince. 

http://pintsizedpioneering.blogspot.com/2011/01/open-letter-to-ree-drummond.html

If any of you want to read another blogger's views about Ree, I think you'll enjoy this one.  Granted, it was written in 2011, but it's equally pertinent to Ree as she is today.  It's very well written, and many of the comments are worth reading as well.  When I read this open letter to Ree, I had the same feeling that I get when I come here and chat with all of you -- that is, that I'm with like-minded friends who share the same views about Ree that I have.  The blog also validates my opinion that Ree is a fraud living an imaginary life of her own imagination, which includes not only her lifestyle but her so-called recipes as well.  Enjoy!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I learned that from Ina's "Weeknight Bolognese" recipe. Delicious!

I don't use cream, just "proper" milk and let the whole thing bubble away gently for ages which is how my Italian friend does it (it's a tenderiser as much as anything else).  Mary Berry - who is practically a Culinary Saint! - adds cream to her ragu and cooks it in the oven at a low temp for quite a while.  Shrieks of outrage from the keyboard warriors, similar to the spears of outrage pointed at Nigella for her version of spaghetti alla carbonara as she adds a glug of vermouth (or white wine) AND cream: the they-think-they-know-it-all purists went into meltdown...she did make the point with the recipe that it was her take on spag alla carbo.  All rather silly, really.  Having said that, I dread to think what the purists would make of Ree's pasta carbonara, as she calls it, recipe as it includes not only heavy cream (which I think, but am not sure, is like double cream in the UK) but also onions and garlic (and peas).  Which, with the eggs, bacon/pancetta and cheese, is probably all rather good but it's more like pasta-in-a-creamy sauce!  It's one thing to add a spin to a recipe, but quite different if essentially reinventing the wheel (no mention of jalapeno, tho, in PW's version - which is a huge disappointment!!).

Spaghetti alla carbonara is one my most favourite things, with garlic bread and salad. 

I haven't been able to watch an episode of Ree since the "cemetery show."  I guess that show might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.  I usually watched PW if only for the snark possibilities (How shallow is that??!) but now I just can't take her phony baloney, opportunistic, self-serving, money and fame-thirsty, egotistical act.  Now that I've seen what Ree's willing and eager to do to "Nan's memory," I wouldn't put anything past her.

• Love 3

FN is doing a mini-marathon of her “16-minute meals” episodes. I truly hate her notion of 16-minute meals. When does the timer start? When you actually start cooking? Prep alone would take 16 minutes. There’s also the fact that Ree’s 24 hours per day is not the same as the 24 hours her audience has. Anybody testing Ree’s 16-minute meals is going to be disappointed at how much longer it will take them because they barely have a fraction of the resources Ree has at her disposal.

Also, why would you use marinara as a base for a taco pizza and not salsa or taco sauce and not use any spices commonly used in taco seasoning when cooking the beef? Otherwise, it’s a ground beef French bread pizza, not a taco pizza.

EDIT: Okay, wow. Talk about egregious. This 16-minute episode on now is a hack job clip show because one segment was literally just in the previous episode and another was in the episode before that. And two of the recipes are basically chicken parmesan and the third is chicken piccata. FN has got to be trolling the audience with this and trying to show what a charlatan Ree is.

Edited by Automne
  • Love 6