Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

It seemed to me that Ree missed a golden opportunity by selling that bacon lip balm, which doesn't taste like bacon.  If she'd sold her own bacon fat, it would have given the lips that nice, greasy look, and it would have tasted like bacon.  C'mon, Ree, THINK!

• Love 4

Well, I'll be Grandma's britches, Charlize.  Ree would go google-eyed over that recipe.  Everything she loves -- cumin, chili powder, lime, you name it.  Everybody would LOVE it, as they do ALL of her recipes!  Just ask her!

I'm kind of surprised Ree hasn't come out with her own brand of spice mixes. There could be the ubiquitous Tex-Mex, Ladd's Not-so-Secret Meat Rub (hee!) and some type of Asian-inspired elixir.  Beyond those three, there's be nothing more.  Kinda sad. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Lura said:

Well, I'll be Grandma's britches, Charlize.  Ree would go google-eyed over that recipe.  Everything she loves -- cumin, chili powder, lime, you name it.  Everybody would LOVE it, as they do ALL of her recipes!  Just ask her!

Well, not everybody. We all know cowboys can't be expected to eat veggies. It would cause them to start speaking in high pitched voices and mincing around in frilly party frocks.

• Love 4

Ree is hell bent on satisfying the taste buds of Chuck -- and of herself.  As she freely admitted, when the other family members cry "Uncle!" from the heat, she and Chuck keep eating it up.  Ree never met a tablespoon of cumin, chili powder, chili flakes or hot chilis with a tablespoon of adobo sauce that she didn't like.  In her never-ending efforts to please Papa Drummond, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that she burned the skin off her tongue learning to eat spicy food like he does.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Lura said:

Ree is hell bent on satisfying the taste buds of Chuck -- and of herself.

Which is why she is so suspect as a hostess.  I don't know about the rest of you but if my friends or family hate something I am damned sure not to serve it when cooking for them.  Especially something so painful!

• Love 2

I happened to see a bit of an old episodes a couple weeks ago where she made lunch for some construction workers who were working on "The Merc" (hate the way she says that). All those guys looked hot and tired so what do you think she took up there for the guys? She took them some kind of spicy soup which I thought was bizarre since a lot of them looked like they had been sweating already. I've never known much about Ree since I've never been a regular viewer but after seeing the old episode I described I saw the end part of another this past weekend and noticed she was adding spicy spices to what she was making that seemed out of place.

• Love 2
On 6/14/2018 at 11:00 AM, Lura said:

There are a million ways to make a million dollars, but Ree beats all.  Take a look at the "Top Ten Weirdest Products Sold at the Merc".  I've come to the conclusion that Ree has no shame and no class.  If it will help her make a million dollars, she'll stock it.  Of course, it always helps to have a sense of humor, so have a good snicker over Ree's decision making skills!

https://www.delish.com/restaurants/g4129/pioneer-woman-mercantile-products/

So basically she orders stuff from an Archie Mcphee catalog and sells them at the merc

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

So basically she orders stuff from an Archie Mcphee catalog and sells them at the merc

Have you been to Seattle? Archie Mcphee used to be such a cool shop, now they just sell the same crap as everybody else.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Have you been to Seattle? Archie Mcphee used to be such a cool shop, now they just sell the same crap as everybody else.

Never!  I would love to though.  I get their catalog every Xmas and I love the quirky stuff they have.  That is disappointing that it is now crap!  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Never!  I would love to though.  I get their catalog every Xmas and I love the quirky stuff they have.  That is disappointing that it is now crap!  

Well. it's not exactly crap but they used to have really quirky oddball never seen anywhere else stuff. That specialness has been replaced by conformity. I hope you make it to Seattle it's just gorgeous here.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Well. it's not exactly crap but they used to have really quirky oddball never seen anywhere else stuff. That specialness has been replaced by conformity. I hope you make it to Seattle it's just gorgeous here.

Thanks!  My sister and her husband are moving somewhere near there and want me (and husband) to follow at some point.  It looks lovely.  I do have some concerns about the weather but who knows.  It looks cool!

• Love 2

Fair enough. What shocked me the most is that the PW show started in 2006! I can't believe it's been that long.

Another untruth in that video is "gender equality." While they say that Ree and Ladd have a "traditional marriage," that they exclude gender roles. I about peed my pants, when I thought about the segregated cowboy/cowgirl menus. What that actually meant was that Ladd does his fair share of child rearin', such as driving the kids to sports practice, etc. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Another untruth in that video is "gender equality."

Seriously?  Ladd home schools, cleans, and cooks?  Ree mucks out stalls and mends fences.  I highly doubt it.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Gender equality" in the Drummond ranch house vis a vis the children:

BEFORE TOILET TRAINING:  Ree feeds them; Ladd changes the diapers.

AFTER TOILET TRAINING:  Ree still feeds them; Ladd does the laundry.

Edited by Lura
tense
  • Love 1

Doughnut ice cream sandwiches.  EE Gads!!  I bet there are 1,000 calories in each.  And with chocolate drizzed over them.  I wonder if Ree eats this crap.    Her kids and ladd go out into the sun.  I hope they use sunscreen every single day.  It must be used every day or you risk skin cancer in that hot southern sun. My sister was a sun goddess until she got some skin cancer on her face.  I have had friends and coworkers who got skin cancer on their arms, face, neck, scalp. One neighbor got it too and had to have a chunk of skin cut out. The other show, about Ladd eating at the merc, was aweful.  More  "you left me, abandoned me at the merc."  Eyeroll.  Can't they write a better script?  I bet everyone who eats at the merc will weigh 300 lbs by the time they leave.

• Love 1

She is in the National Enquirer again.  It says that her marriage is on the rocks, and  that they lead separate lives.  Because Ladd first floated the idea of the bed and breakfast to her, she said "I'll think about it."  But he went and broke ground on the hotel without telling her.  The article says that divorce is out of the question.  So Ladd is greedy.  He looks too simple minded to be greedy.  The issue is the current one, with that little British girl Madeline who was kidnapped on the cover.

true, many tabloids just make stuff up.  but very often the enquirer is correct.  I don't know if the article is true, I just thought I would mention it.

• Love 1

I’m watching the episode where all of the women are having lunch at Hyacinth’s house near the pool. I’m surprised that Ree doesn’t have a swimming pool on her property. Just think of all of the entertaining possibilities with friends and family. 

• Love 1

Sugar-glazed doughnuts, salted caramel ice cream, Sprinkles, chocolate drizzle.  I'm surprised that Ree takes goodies to the family doctor.  With "snacks" like that for herself and the children, I'd think the goodies should go to the dentist.  He'll be the one to fit the kids with false teeth by the time they're 20.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m watching the episode where all of the women are having lunch at Hyacinth’s house near the pool. I’m surprised that Ree doesn’t have a swimming pool on her property. Just think of all of the entertaining possibilities with friends and family. 

A pool would be too much "w-o-r-k." With the in-house labor either off to college or busy with extra-curricular activities and ranch work, who would that leave to tend to the pool? I know that they could hire a pool services but there still are little daily chores like skimming off leaves and other debris from the surface.

Then ... we'd have the entire can of worms about the angst/travails of purchasing/wearing swimwear. Ugh. Her blog would blow-up!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m surprised that Ree doesn’t have a swimming pool on her property.

Them pioneer cowboy types don't cotton to no new fangled swimmin' pool.  They just jump in the old swimmin' hole down by the cottonwood. 

A pool would tarnish that "aw shucks, we live like early settlers" crap she's trying to sell.

• Love 1

Since Ree claims to have cow patties all over her porch, you know that some would land in the pool.  I think I'd rather swim in the Drummond bathtub, depending on how clean that is.

• Love 2

I understand that a pool would take away from their pioneer image, but I’ve always associated a pool with a party house or the house where all the teens want to hang out during the summer. Just think of all of the snacks she could make for the kids and their friends who come over for a nice wholesome pool party with shots of her boys doing cannonballs into the pool. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Just think of all of the snacks she could make for the kids and their friends who come over for a nice wholesome pool party with shots of her boys doing cannonballs into the pool. 

Their parents probably watch the show and don't want their kids to need bypass surgery before they even graduate from college.  And with those fundamentalist types, unrelated boys and girls can't be together when scantily clad.

• Love 3

While the Pioneer Woman's "Confessions" may not be televised, I read them once in a great while for their snark value.  Take her latest topic, for example.  She calls this entry "Radiant."  Now, let me ask you a couple of questions, and maybe you can figure it out for me.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/

What does "radiant" have to do with pictures of cattle and car/truck hoods?

What do these same pictures have to do with a tribute to Nan?

Was Ree's "Confession" more about showing off her prowess at photographing cattle tails, or is it a warm, loving tribute to her late mother-in-law?

While you're at it, have a look at the ad for her magazine.  Was the cover picture taken 20 years ago, or was it heavily airbrushed?  Her hair appears to be brown, which must be why I liked it, and her face doesn't show a wrinkle.  If she thinks she looks so good that way, why doesn't she dye her hair brown and have a facelift?

• Love 2

Even more amazing is 106 comments praising her "gorgeous" pictures.  They are cows, for Pete's sake, not endangered species.  I see 500 of them just driving to town every day.  Plus green grass.  Big whoop.

• Love 3
On 6/14/2018 at 1:00 PM, Lura said:

There are a million ways to make a million dollars, but Ree beats all.  Take a look at the "Top Ten Weirdest Products Sold at the Merc".  I've come to the conclusion that Ree has no shame and no class.  If it will help her make a million dollars, she'll stock it.  Of course, it always helps to have a sense of humor, so have a good snicker over Ree's decision making skills!

https://www.delish.com/restaurants/g4129/pioneer-woman-mercantile-products/

I simply must have the Marie Antoinette salt and pepper shaker! 

• Love 2

HyeChaps, I don't have the answer to your question, but stay tuned.  I imagine that someone will.

I don't know about home delivery meal kits, but Ree is certainly going local with her businesses, and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried something nationally.  She'd better strike while the iron is still hot, though, because I don't see Ree having the staying power of, say, Ina Garten.  Even so, Ina failed at selling on a national scale.  Right now, Ree is busy trying to sell a magazine with a younger, slimmer, trimmer self on the cover.  IMHO, that might show how many people around the country are interested in her outside of Oklahoma and the South.

• Love 2

Another true and honest admission from Ree ...

"And I didn't stop there."

This as she makes mint chocolate chip ice cream by adding 4 or 5 different types of chocolate and mint candy to store bought vanilla ice cream.

Oh, and who adds gummy worms to chocolate mousse? Ree, of course.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

This as she makes mint chocolate chip ice cream by adding 4 or 5 different types of chocolate and mint candy to store bought vanilla ice cream.

Oh, barf. How soon until this all catches up with her? She'll be diagnosed with diabetes, morbid obesity and heart disease.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3

In what other householdin America, outside of the Trumps and maybe the Rockefellers, can a kid just mosey up to the fridge and have himself a fancy, decorated chocolate mousse for a "snack?"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

Sacrilege!  Abomination!  Off with her (crazy clown chiclet toothed smile) head!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

Because the mint flavoring by Dupont in grocery store mint chocolate ice cream isn't good enough for her lil' cowpokes, but the artificial vanillin in the vanilla ice cream is exactly what this recipe calls for?

<blerg>

All of those gummy candies turn to slurry when they come in contact with moisture. 

• Love 4