Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, OzzieChick said:

horror of horrors it’s made onto Australian television 

insert profuse swearing here <> 

you poor people are going to be sorry I found you,

i have a few rants to be had about this wretched creature

i am here to snark and vent 

Hello OzzieChick from an English viewer/ranter/snarker.  Look forward to reading your posts.

• Love 2

Thanks for the welcome,

sorry a rant follows lol

This horror of a “cooking” show has now arrived in Australia.

This poor unfortunate looking woman not only has no presence on the screen, she has a terrible voice for t.v. Well for anything really... and she is rather uncomfortable in the kitchen, every utensil she uses looks painfully awkward. 

The shows themselves seem to be more centered on showboating her lifestyle rather than recipes.

The recipes themselves are uninspiring and the cooking is either a disaster .... errrm burnt black chicken pieces ?! (Fire burning show)  I would be ashamed to serve it let alone have something so disastrous make it onto the t.v. screen.

Or a crazy mixed up version of turning classics into something new.  Frankinfood.  

One episode she shoved four shelves of her fridge full of “meal trays” FOUR fridge shelves worth! 

For gods sake!  just make a damn casserole and put it in the fridge, instead of farting around part making one and plonking in on a freaking tray.  Reeetarded. 

....too damn bad if you needed the fridge space for anything else... like a weeks worth of groceries,

as I need to living in the country and unlike her I can’t be on my arse driving back n forth from town every other day wasting precious time.

and speaking of if I went to town to shop and have some lunch out, I would NEVER order a “quiche” that consists of what I consider leftovers (fecking corned beef and cabbage?! Barf, from the show - some girls test taste the crappy food for said crappy cafe)

. No no that’s not a cooking show or cook book worthy and certainly not cafe worthy, seems she can’t even get classic quiche right.

gah! Terrible, please America do us a favour and quarantine this creature within your boarders and keep the crap cook, cookbook and t.v like this over there.  <joking> I think... 

• Love 9
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, cathy said:

Cupid Stunt, what did the people who knew Ree in college say about her? Just curious.

I speak twice a year at a journalism class at USC (Ree Drumond's alma mater). Those in the  journalism department that have spoken about Ree, are not impressed by her writing and media presence. One professor said her success is an indication of the low expectations of producers and consumers of media -- The requirement for journalistic excellence and accuracy is drowned out by corporate commercial demands. Ree is a prime example of those commercial demands.

I disagree with that assessment, but I've been working in a Top 20 radio market since the ark, not resting on tenure -- My radio division has proven that you don't have to go with the lowest common denominator to make money. Hiring quality talent to fly in their field of expertise kicks algorithm programing, hedge fund investors and advertising brokers every time.  

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

My radio division has proven that you don't have to go with the lowest common denominator to make money. Hiring quality talent to fly in their field of expertise kicks algorithm programing, hedge fund investors and advertising brokers every time.  

NPR being a prime example of that.

Ree has the money to buy her way into just about anything.  And, contrary to what she'd have you believe, it was bestowed upon her - she didn't earn it at first.  It takes money to make money and she's been canny with that.

• Love 7
On 15/12/2018 at 12:24 AM, CharlizeCat said:

Welcome, OzzieChick! Glad to have you on board!  Are there any cooks/chefs/shows in Australia that you like better than others?

Thank you 

ummm Pete Evans, he has coped a heap of flack for being paleo, I still admire his passion and commitment and he cracked the shits at the nay sayers and released a heap of stuff for free.  He is mostly all YouTube and internet, he does judge a show called My Kitchen Rules, which the producers have ruined by casting the bitchiest people possible.

i am not paleo and love potatoes and bread and such and damn well know I shouldn’t have them, they make me feel great as I eat them and wreak me hours later.   One day I might grow up to be as dedicated as him... 

Good Chef Bad Chef. 

MasterChef Australia 

The Cooks Pantry, low budget, but has a couple of good upcoming cooks.  

And @Kohola3 never trust a Aussie offering Vegimite .... it is best served on well buttered toast, with barely a smeer of vegimite, ALWAYS best served with a coffe or tea and a hangover LOL 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, OzzieChick said:

Thank you 

ummm Pete Evans, he has coped a heap of flack for being paleo, I still admire his passion and commitment and he cracked the shits at the nay sayers and released a heap of stuff for free.  He is mostly all YouTube and internet, he does judge a show called My Kitchen Rules, which the producers have ruined by casting the bitchiest people possible.

i am not paleo and love potatoes and bread and such and damn well know I shouldn’t have them, they make me feel great as I eat them and wreak me hours later.   One day I might grow up to be as dedicated as him... 

I've watched Pete Evans host on a PBS show, A Moveable Feast with Fine Cooking. He doesn't discuss paleo on that program, but is an enthusiastic chef and has an interesting take on the local food for each episode. Being omnivorous and a carb fan noshing on a slice of stollen, I am interested in a variety of recipes; I'll check out his YouTube videos.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mandolia said:

A most excellent post CupidStunt.   It sums up more or less all that I think about the the PW brand and the faux reality. but expressed way more eloquently than I could achieve. 

And positively frightening.  The manipulation of the American consumer.

• Love 3

Not sure why the main thread is closed, so taking my comments here.  

Today's show was another "take lunch out to he boys working cattle" episode - all of the dishes were pretty simple and you had to really work to call what she did 'cooking'.  Pulled pork really doesn't need a recipe - put meat in a pot for X hours, shred it, then put BBQ sauce on top.  Her fried apple pies were made with store-bought dough - all she did was chop up apples and add sugar.  That prairie punch consisted of opening some bottles of different juices and pouring over ice.   

• Love 3

Ree seems hellbent for leather to remind us that once upon a time she had boyfriends.  Brag, brag, brag.  She was mixing up some chocolate sugar cookies on a recent rerun and monogramming each one with the letter "R" (what else???).  It seemed like the perfect time (to her) to mention that she used to make these cookies for a certain boyfriend.  "Don't tell Ladd," she grinned in a conspiratorial tone.  Yet this was only the beginning.  After a few more stirs of her batter, she expanded her story by saying that quite a few guys were the lucky recipients of these cookies with messages on them that said, "YOU'RE CUTE!" and other sassy remarks.   She put on a shy smile but couldn't hold it and beamed proudly like she'd been the belle of the ball.  Again we were admonished not to tell Ladd. 

Really, Ree, I wouldn't think of boring poor Ladd with your "confessions."  I imagine he's heard the stories again and again ad nauseum in your attempts to convince him of how fortunate he was to win you.  *Sigh*   

• Love 3

LOL, Novhappy!  When isn't Ree's voice childlike and irritating?  When she judges cookie contests, she speaks in a normal voice, but she talks entirely differently on her show.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Ree wants to be girlish to combat aging.  She often acts just like her daughters -- except  that they seem more mature than she often does -- and I suspect that her long hair has something to do with that.  I could be wrong, but sometimes it's fun to play armchair psychiatrist (not that I'm any good at it).

• Love 4

I remember seeing the episode when Ree's brother visited and it dawned on me that the reason that she talks to her kids in that singsong, childlike cadence was that she did that to her brother growing up.  I think some people just get into that mindset, thinking that developmentally compromised people need to be spoken to like that, like a parent speaks to their toddlers, to keep them in "happy mode". 

When her brother visited, her voice was high pitched, bright and upbeat - and it drove me batty but I suspect that Ree doesn't even hear it. 

Edited by patty1h
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, patty1h said:

I remember seeing the episode when Ree's brother visited and it dawned on me that the reason that she talks to her kids in that singsong, childlike cadence was that she did that to her brother growing up.  I think some people just get into that mindset, thinking that developmentally compromised people need to be spoken to like that, like a parent speaks to their toddlers, to keep them in "happy mode". 

When her brother visited, her voice was high pitched, bright and upbeat - and it drove me batty but I suspect that Ree doesn't even hear it. 

Perhaps it is an automatic reflex with her voice, as you suggest, but it really grates.  I wince while waiting for the 3 octaves higher than normal and overly excited "Hiiiiiiiii guys" when anyone walks through the door or PW arrives somewhere on the ranch with a truckload of food for a tailgate meal (all so beautifully choreographed!), followed by "anyone hungry?" said in a near falsetto.   

• Love 4

A new line of "long lasting" dog treats out. Now available at Walmart. Picture of her and Charlie on the packaging. Poor Charlie is being exploited yet again and now from beyond the grave. They are called "Lil Drummies." 

1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

I hate to even mention these two people in the same breath. But do you think that like Princess Diana, Ree grew too tall to become a ballet dancer? 

I didn’t know that’s why Diana didn’t have a ballet career. She was always lithe. Ree I think just got too big in general. All that good food that she cooks and that ramen in college. 

• Love 3

I agree with Mindthinkr.  I don't know which came first, her height or her size, but either one would preclude Ree from performing in ballet.  We also don't know whether she was good enough in her ballet classes to make a career of it.  But never mind.  She still does her cutesy little ballet step when she backs away from the counter and takes her first step to walk away.  Also, I can't imagine that she hasn't performed dozens of times for Ladd and the kids!  Wouldn't you love to be a mouse in the corner?

• Love 2

I agree with Mindthinkr.  I don't know which came first, her height or her size, but either one would preclude Ree from performing in ballet.

I think she said she had a 23 inch waist when she married. That is skinny. I have never seen a picture of her in her wedding gown. She is 5'9'' I think, which is too tall for a ballerina. Princess Di was 5'10."  Everyone gets a bit heavier as they age, metabolism and all, I don't think it can be helped. 

• Love 1

Good grief, I haven't watched this show in a long time, but I caught an episode on Saturday. I don't know if it was a new show -- all the shows seem like an episode of "Rawhide" with sandwiches. Basically she was making lunch for the hungry cowboys and she showed us how she made said lunch. Nothing looked that interesting. She made homemade potato chips with lots of different spices and we've seen her do that about 999 times. But what really floored me was her appearance. Her hair is no longer red, it's a crazy Crayola orange crayon color that was discontinued long ago because it frightened children. It does not look good on her at all, especially since her skin gets whiter and whiter every season. When she went outside in the sun to hand deliver the lunches to the ranch hands, she really looked hideous. Like she could be luring kids into storm drains with red balloons.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I am barely able to contain my excitement: a new (to the UK) series of PW starts today.  

The trailer is - unwittingly - one of the funniest things I've ever heard.  The announcer intones, rather breathlessly, "you have been warned...Ree is back".  

No doubt it will be the same-old-same-old variation on a theme.  I shall report back!

• Love 1

Once in a blue moon I read Ree's "Confessions" on her website.  (I don't know why she calls her silly columns by that name.)  Anyway, she posted this week that she has filmed 8 new shows in 9 days.  She said further that she refilmed a new opening, saying that it's just like the original one only with a new location (her porch).  I guess these new shows mean more of her mom's recipes and a few church cookbook stir-togethers.  Who knows? 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Lura said:

Once in a blue moon I read Ree's "Confessions" on her website.  (I don't know why she calls her silly columns by that name.)  Anyway, she posted this week that she has filmed 8 new shows in 9 days.  She said further that she refilmed a new opening, saying that it's just like the original one only with a new location (her porch).  I guess these new shows mean more of her mom's recipes and a few church cookbook stir-togethers.  Who knows? 

I just hope she changes something up at least a little bit. She’s becoming too predictable and losing her freshness. 

• Love 1

mmcorday, you're in rare form today!  LOL  Maybe you're  rare all the time, and I'm too slow to notice it!

"An episode of Rawhide with sandwiches"

"long strands of clown hair"

😂😃😂

Edited by Lura
  • LOL 1

Welcome, Vixenstud.  To answer your question (partly), I haven't seen Mike on again since that one time.  I don't know why.  Maybe he doesn't have any money to leave to her like PawPaw does.

• LOL 3

Maybe he doesn't have any money to leave to her like PawPaw does. 

She is money hungry, but I was thinking that that is not 100% bad. Before you hate me, let me explain: Today it occured to me that my hobbies are all woman oriented-quilting, cooking sewing, reading, exercise. None of them make money. Women's work and hobbies never make money! Men's more likely do. Ree brings home the bacon, and (badly, poorly) fries it up in a pan, and never never lets Ladd forget it (probably, I'm guessing) or remember he is a man, to paraphrase and quote an old perfume commercial (anjolie). Now she is out with a new line of luggage, with a hideous flower pattern. I bet her luggage is vittion. 

But her business skills would put a fortune 500 CEO to shame.  And she set about to accomplish all of this. She set her cap on the richest guy in the state, then plotted a big business.  The Marlboro woman said that it was an "arranged marriage" because the ranch needed an infusion of money. She may be right. But she was probably smarter than me, plotting and striving to make huge money instead of sewing and quilting. She is also kind of like a man, aggressive, money-oriented, smart in a worldly kind of way. A go-getter. She also has a big jaw, like a man, and is very tall and big. Now I am getting nasty so I will get off.

On 7/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, Lura said:

Well, we know she goes to church at least one Sunday a month -- for the food.  She loves those potlucks.  You notice that her nice pastor is always ready to make some glowing comment for the camera.  That's because she takes him cookies and Happy Good Friday Hot Cross Buns.

Not to mention the collection plate.

• LOL 1

I think Ree writes books so that she can go on tours, meet all the simpletons who think she's God's gift to the common housewife, and -- most of all -- to get away from the stinkin' ranch.  When she greets folks lined up for her autograph, she can hear the ka-ching of the cash register in her head.  She can play the over-worked ranch wife, the over-extended mother of four, to the hilt and make every fan forget that she is a millionaire many times over and becoming wealthier with every book sold.

• Love 4

The "street corn" she made should rightfully be called "Mexican Street Corn." When made properly you first put on some mayonnaise, then the spices and lime, then the cojita cheese.  Where  does one buy chipotle salt? I have never heard of that.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Dineen said:

The "street corn" she made should rightfully be called "Mexican Street Corn." When made properly you first put on some mayonnaise, then the spices and lime, then the cojita cheese.  Where  does one buy chipotle salt? I have never heard of that.

It's probably left over from feeding the cows.  They got themselves some hot bulls around there.

• LOL 1