Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

On 11/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, grisgris said:

I don't think that I live that far away. It might be like a long day trip or something. The problem is that I wouldn't have anybody who'd be interested/willing to go with me because they either 1) don't know who Ree is (YES, there are some out there),  2) would have no interest in going to some small town in OK and 3) would just not have any interest in a place like the Merc, in general. Now, if my poor old nearly 84-year-old nursing home-living dad could walk and endure that long a trip, it would be right up his alley. He LOVES day trips to little towns and Ponca City OK, was a frequent day trip when we were growing up.  I know if I told him I wanted to go there, he'd be thrilled to go through his road atlas and help me plan my route! LOL!

OTOH, I'm used to having to drive across MO to St. Louis and back by myself. Maybe my arm can be twisted!

If I lived closer I would TOTALLY go.  Not buy anything but I would go.  Good snark op.

• Love 1

I'd visit Pawtuska only if it were guaranteed that I could spend the afternoon with Chuck.  I'd love to sit around listening to him telling stories.  Sometimes I suspect that Chuck and his mother have the majority of brains in the family.

Grisgris, you have a lot of courage eating at the deli after watching Ree cook!  If you go, please promise us that you'll tell us everything.  How are you fixed for bandanas?  Ree sells them in every color!  I'll bet you could even find a pair of boots like the ones that Ree wears.

• Love 2

She blogged last week that Chuck had been there every day greeting customers outside. He just showed up and basically made himself the official greeter, telling stories and answering questions. That's pretty much the perfect job for him, makes him feel like he has a purpose at the Mercantile. He kind of reminds me of my grandfather. He ran the family business (gas station and then later a repair shop/Ryder rental location) for years and handed it over to my dad and my uncle, but he still showed up to work every morning, was the first one there, and gave directions that no one really needed, and then did what was basically busy work all day, chatting up customers, moving the trucks around, going to pick up parts, buying the doughnuts and lunch every day. That's pretty much what we've seen Chuck do. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Diane said:

Sorry I live about 30 or 45 minutes away in Tulsa and I am not taking one for the team.  Here is the review and right up in the Tulsa World newspaper

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-diners-stampede-to-pioneer-woman-mercantile-in-pawhuska/article_05b72272-5785-5a7f-833a-50c7b6e2eda2.html

Lol, from the article: "We wound up at a wall banquette filled with Southwestern-print pillows, and one table away was one of our eye doctors, Vanessa Bennett, her 5-week-old daughter, Claire, and mother, Carma. The folks on the other side of us were from New Mexico. It’s that kind of place.

ELWOOD: What kind of music do you usually have here?
CLAIRE: Oh, we have both kinds -- country and western

• Love 5

I thought it kind of said it all when the article concluded that the man who "overlooks operations" (i.e. executive chef) used to work for Giada.

If we ever decide to go it won't be until many months from now when hopefully the novelty has worn off. There is no way I'm standing in line for 2 hours for any or Ree's food. Also, $15 for chicken-fried steak is way too high and it still kills me that they are ruining a good cut of beef in that dish.

ETA:  I wonder which movie star the writer was comparing Ladd to?  Scratching my head on that one.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 4

Hmmm, I really wasn't drooling over that chicken Parmesan the food critic was reviewing.  It had the look of something deep fried, plunked on a plate, and then covered with cheese and sauce.  It looked like what you'd get at Olive Garden.

Unless business calls, I doubt I will ever wander through Pawhuska, and I'd be about as excited to try her food as I would have been trying one of Paula Deen or Guy Fidouchey's food emporiums.

I will say, though, that I think they've done a great job renovating the space, and I adore the thought of old Chuck being the greeter.  It is really sweet that he supports the business, and his DIL, so much.  She has a great, supportive family.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, grisgris said:

I thought it kind of said it all when the article concluded that the man who "overlooks operations" (i.e. executive chef) used to work for Giada.

If we ever decide to go it won't be until many months from now when hopefully the novelty has worn off. There is no way I'm standing in line for 2 hours for any or Ree's food. Also, $15 for chicken-fried steak is way too high and it still kills me that they are ruining a good cut of beef in that dish.

ETA:  I wonder which movie star the writer was comparing Ladd to?  Scratching my head on that one.

I head-tilted at the movie star line, too. Along with him being charming. Taciturn, grumpy, silent? Yup. Charming? On what planet?

That chicken parm looks awful and has one of my main gripes about Americanized-Italian: the dumping of sauce on top of the pasta rather than incorporated. The pasta ends up drying out.

The wedge salad looks pedestrian. The baked goods look good - better than anything she's made on the show. 

The "olive cheese bread" looks like something that cat hocked up. Seriously, leave the cheese out. It'll taste and look better.

Page should have her hair back. Didn't that used to be a food safety thing? 

2 hours to eat there? Oh lawd, no. 

OK, so can we start bets on how long this will remain open? Of course, if it's strictly a vanity project funded by her tv/books, it could last a while. 

• Love 4
On 11/22/2016 at 11:03 PM, txvoodoo said:

OK, so can we start bets on how long this will remain open? Of course, if it's strictly a vanity project funded by her tv/books, it could last a while. 

This is what I keep wondering, and am assuming they have some kind of backup plan for the space if/when her star fades.  Pawhuska isn't exactly a tourist destination city, and the lines won't be wrapping around the block forever.  Paula Deen had Lady & Sons in Savannah (a destination) before she became a national celebrity.  Most of the other FN chefs have plopped their food emporiums in tourist spots.  The Drummonds seem like smart business people, so I would imagine they're going to ride the wave of her popularity for as long as they can and then transition the space?  Or maybe they'll pull a Trump and just write it off as a yuge loss at some point?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

Silly.  You're supposed to buy 12 of them! ;-)

Lol! I'm sure her fans are doing just that. And just as a  strong warning to anyone who seriously considers buying any of her cra...I mean merchandise, don't. Early on I saw 2 items I liked, not because they were hers, but I thought they were pretty: a butter dish with a butterfly on the lid, and a purple mason jar tumbler because purple is my favorite color. The first time I put the tumbler in the dishwasher, which it said you could, most of the color came off. I still had the receipt so I returned it and got a refund.  The butter dish was fine at first, but now every time I put it in the dishwasher little pieces chip and flake off.  Unfortunately that receipt is long gone. But lesson learned, only out $6. The plethora of 5 star reviews on her products on Walmart's web are ridiculous after what I've seen quality wise.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 4

But ... why?  The only time I could see using that cupcake thingie was if you were on "Cupcake Wars" and was trying to impress Florian! (Even he would scoff at the sheer ridiculousness.)  Also, has Ree ever made elegant cupcakes on her show?  It seems like her specialties are either sheet cakes or multi-layer cakes at high risk of collapsing under the sheer weight of all the unnecessary crap she insists on piling on.

OK, as far as her Walmart crap goes, I am a sucker for floral, especially poppies, so her flowered stuff is sort of OK, but I'd never buy it.  Sigh ... her  display was back out in full force as of a few weeks ago. However, a lot of product is still in the $3-$5 clearance aisle.  Also, as anneofcleves has pointed out, I just can't with the faux depression glass.  If you looked at the real thing and compared it to Ree's stuff, you'd notice the difference immediately.  Unless you're looking for some really rare piece, most depression glass that I've seen lately is pretty inexpensive, as interest in collectables (across all types of objects) seems to be waning these days.

An interesting observation (at least for me) is the demographics in my area vs. Ree's Wallyworld junk. I live in Kansas City, MO and in Jackson Co., which is a middle to lower class population, with a few pockets here and there of upper class and very wealthy.  Literally, right across the main drag is Johnson Co., KS, which is very upper-class, wealthy. The Walmart on this side of the state line seems to have a robust trade in Ree's products, which are prominently displayed. However, go over into Kansas and drive about 2 miles and at that WM, you have to dig for her stuff. It's tucked away in with all of the other home goods in the aisles.  There's not a lot of it and what it there is pretty well hidden.

• Love 2

Now I've seen everything!  The price of that mini cupcake stand is ridiculous.  Besides, who would want one?  Do you suppose that Ree took the picture of it?  What a terrible photo used for an advertisement!  The photographer could at least have placed the cupcake stand on a paper doily and left out all the merchandise in the background.  It seems to me that Ree has discovered that anything with her name on it will sell like hot cakes, so quality and good sense are taking a back seat to raking in the money and buying more maternity tops.

ETA:  Walmart  seems to have a good deal on the domed mini cupcake stands.  I just checked them out at Amazon.  $32.95 for one!  And there's only one left!!!  

Either Amazon didn't stock many, or those domed "beauties" really are selling like hot cakes!!!  That cowboy's wife is doing well, thanks, for demonstrating her mother's gourmet recipes, including Rice Crispie treats and oil and vinegar salad dressing!

Edited by Lura
added more info
  • Love 2

Just wanted to post an update. So I noticed on the reviews of the butter dish on Wal-Mart's website, that someone from Gibson who produces her stuff was replying to people who said their dish had gotten cracked or chipped after going through the dishwasher or whatever, asking the person to contact them so they could resolve it. So I took a chance and sent an email telling them about the chips even though the tag said dishwasher safe.

Two days later I got back this reply:

"We are sorry to hear about your experience with the Pioneer Woman Collection.  Customer satisfaction is one of our top priorities so thank you for reaching out with your concerns.  Please send us a photo of your damaged butter dish for our records. Once we receive this we will be processing your replacement right away.  Again, we thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us and we look forward on hearing from you."

Gibson Overseas, Inc on behalf of The Pioneer Woman Collection

I have to say I appreciate them reaching out to customers who have had problems with her merchandise. I sent them the pictures, so hopefully I'll get a replacement soon. Maybe they'll improve the quality if they have to replace a ton of stuff.

• Love 4

Is it standard business practice to require photographic proof of a product's defects?   I don't think I've ever heard of this before.  Could it be that they are receiving too many complaints about the poor quality of her products?

• Love 2

I think it's becoming a thing.  I had a pair of defective boots and the store had me contact the manufacturer's customer service over the phone.  I then had to send them a photo of the problem and they sent me a gift certificate in return.

• Love 1

Beats the sugar out of having to package something and schlep it to the post office to return it.  Although you'd think they'd want to inspect it to figure out the problem.  On the other hand, if people have already returned a gajillion of them already, maybe they have a pretty good idea.

• Love 2

The butter dish saga continues. So today I get this email from them:

"Thank you for providing these photos. Unfortunately we cannot identify what pattern you have from the photos you provided. Can you provide one of the full plate?"

Thank you,  Gibson Overseas, Inc on behalf of The Pioneer Woman Collection Consumer Relations Team

I fully explained to them in the original email that this was a butter dish, not a plate, and only the bottom of the butter dish chipped after putting in the dishwasher.  So I replied back today and told them: "Please re-read my original email which fully explained everything. This is a butter dish, not a plate. It's the only butter dish in the collection, so there's not a pattern to identify. You know, the one with butterfly on the lid?" 

At this point, I should toss the damn thing in the trash but I'm going to keep playing along to see what they ask me in the next email. Definitely explains the quality control issues.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, parrotlover said:

At this point, I should toss the damn thing in the trash but I'm going to keep playing along to see what they ask me in the next email. Definitely explains the quality control issues.

Hang in there, girl.  We've got your six. I swear they do this crap on purpose so that they drive you crazy enough to just let it go.  I bet some robot reads the e-mails and just sends a canned reply.

• Love 1

Does anyone know in what country Ree's dishware is manufactured?

Good luck finding out. A cursory review of Gibson Overseas website shows a whole lot of doublespeak which is designed to hide that kind of stuff.  It talks about being "the country's leading manufacturer" but doesn't say what country. It talks about its "diverse workforce".  It makes you think, at first glance, that everything is made in the US but the name alone is suspect in my mind.

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Good luck finding out. A cursory review of Gibson Overseas website shows a whole lot of doublespeak which is designed to hide that kind of stuff.  It talks about being "the country's leading manufacturer" but doesn't say what country. It talks about its "diverse workforce".  It makes you think, at first glance, that everything is made in the US but the name alone is suspect in my mind.

From what I can find, they're just a marketing partner for small businesses. They don't make anything.

Goods sold in the U.S. have to be labeled with the country of origin. It's the law. I worked for a company that imported some products from India and China. If it wasn't labeled "made in China/India" I got to reject it coming in the door.

She is desperately in need of a hair and makeup consultant. Her makeup on yesterday's show was about the worst I've seen it -- non-existent eyebrows and the black eyeliner and mascara was the heaviest I've seen it.  She also had on some type of terracotta toned eye shadow that just didn't work, either.

Don't even get me started on the hair color.  I will say that at least we never see it faded red ... although that might be an improvement.

• Love 3

I can see it all now: Newspaper front pages across the country carry headlines reading "Ree Drummond ("Pioneer Woman") in Bitter Fight Over Damaged Butter Dish" and "Mystery Woman Known Only As 'Parrotlover' Files Suit Against Ree Drummond Over Butter Dish Flap, Including Millions for Personal Anguish."  The articles carry photos showing demonstrations springing up across the country in support of 'Parrotlover.'

• Love 6

For a woman of 43, Ree's hair is way too long.  I don't consider 43 to be old  -- far from it -- but I think she should give up trying to look like a teeny bopper.  She seems to try to be so youthful, more like her daughters, and it just isn't working.  Is that all her hair, or does she wear extensions?  Unless she wears it up, she always looks bedraggled to me.  It really is a distraction sometimes. 

• Love 2

Not to long after her stuff came out at Wal-Mart I needed new skillets.  Purchased a set of two.  They now have been tossed.  The nonstick coating was coming off and we only used plastic utensils in them.  DH was not impressed and neither was I.  We'll see how long the Rachel Ray ones last.  Eh, who am I kidding, I'll just end up using my old, handed down through generations cast iron skillets the most anyway.

Well, I'll be darned.  I happened to be reading something that Ree posted in her blog in 2007, and it gave me a hearty snicker.  Ree says that her mother's name is Gee. 

That's it.  Nothing more.  I never heard of a woman named Gee before, especially one with a daughter named Ree.  I suppose that means that some of the recipes we're getting come from Ree, some from Gee, and the rest from the church cookbook.

*cough* I'll be leaving now.  :)

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:55 AM, Lura said:

Good luck, parrotlover.  It's too bad you had to go through this in the first plce. 

Does anyone know in what country Ree's dishware is manufactured?

I took a detour to Wally World today, and her glasses are clearly marked "Made in China" on the label. And ugly and cheap looking to boot. And yes, it also said it was dishwasher safe.

• Love 2