Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: More Than Kin

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Lucious throws a fund-raiser with help from Andre in an effort to show the board that they should reinstate him as Empire's CEO. Meanwhile, Hakeem decides if he's interested in being a father to his child with Anika.

Yay, we are back! I loved this episode. It is about time Cookie gets some recognition for her abilities. She didn't look happy at being appointed co-CEO because she knows that Lucious will act like a fool. I hope he does so she ends up as CEO and the board dumps his scheming behind. Also, this will cure Cookie of falling for him again. Stay away from that evil man, Cookie!

I like seeing Hakeem acting mature. Maybe Laura will last for awhile longer. I am already tired of Anika's baby drama.  I cracked up when Hakeem asked Cookie what Lucious did and she responded to the effect, "he is your father, what hasn't he done!" Ha. Those boys need to wake up. I cannot believe Andre falling for Lucious' fake promises again. He will never let Andre have that company. Cookie and Andre are right that Jamal has got to stop whining and compete. Where is ruthless Jamal from last season? He needs to do what it takes to take Lucious down and win that award. I enjoyed Jamal's performances with that band last night. Anyone know the name of the band?

I was glad that reporter busted Lucious' secret. I knew she would end up finding out a secret about him, I just thought that it would be about Frank Gathers. Instead she spilled all about his mama. I cannot wait for next week.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

was it me or did we never get a diagnosis/reason for Anika's ambulance ride and hospital visit? Just generic pain? No bleeding, vomiting, ultrasounds, or anything else? I was sipping wine, so I certainly could have missed that. 

Speaking of Anika and her dad...whatever happened to Lucious' (fixed) diagnosis? He was still supposed to be receiving injections in jail, but we've heard no mention of his infirmities after the jail denial. I hope the writers just don't forget this whole storyline. He still, although not terminal, is not supposed to be a well man. 

Laura can go anytime now. I'm over her. And she needs to go with Michael back wherever they dug him up from. There is no chemistry, no acting appeal, nothing for M/J. 

While I get that the writers are going for it (based on dialogue), I'm not getting Cookie into Lucious. Terrence conveys the "you don't fuck with Cookie" very clearly through acting and dialogue, but I don't get the same from Taraji. Her disses of his women just come off as condescending, not as bitter or longing. Maybe that's the intention, he only wants someone who doesn't show that she wants him. 

I need Andre to do better than fucking with his brothers. After all, he knows Lucious best. He was the oldest, protected his secrets, etc. I would like to see more power plays than his behind the scenes manipulation. Does he have a personality disorder as well? That would put him in prime manipulator position.

• Love 4

How could I forget to comment about Michael?! Why does he keep popping up? Go away and stay away! Jamal can do better. There should guys falling all over him. I liked the other guy he was with. And why does he only flirt with women when he is on stage? 

• Love 4

Am I the only one wondering what the opening credits will look like with Cookie and Lucious now at the helm together?

Still loving the scenes with all 3 brothers.  Not sure I loved the reason behind it.  In a bizarre way, they still want to do best for their dad. 

I'm a little lost as to what point the reporter lost the exclusive but I loved that she handed it back to Lucious ten fold.  Clearly he has a big reason why he kept his mother tucked away somewhere and claiming she's dead.  Next week should be a doozy.

• Love 6

I, too, am disappointed that Andre is still hoping that Lucious will somehow give him the company in the end.  How many more times does he need to tell you that he just doesn't really like you and he will not be giving you that company.

I'm also disappointed in Cookie....she sincerely wanted Lucious to become CEO again.  After all he has done to her, after he didn't even want to give her money/position at a company her money helped build.  Wasn't he happy to let her sit in jail?  Even when he became a mogul?  No reopening of the case, no cry for commutation of her sentence?  I thought there were "advantages" to being Lucious Lyon?  He doesn't have the connections to get a drug dealer out of jail after how many years?

The board had to basically push this nonsense of Cookie, if not for that, she would happily let Lucious take control of the company again, and degrade them all again.  Because that is what Lucious does, he is mean to all of his sons, in his own way.  There are things that they won't do to him, but he has no problem doing it to them.  Cookie built up Lyon Dynasty, but she happy to let Lucious take control of her company again.  Maybe being co-CEO (and I have never heard of that before, and am unsure how that works....the CEO makes day to day decisions for the company, what happens if they disagree?) will wake her up, but the writers seem to not recognize that she is looking pretty weak right now.

And again...what the hell was she wearing?  That peacock print was a no, no, no....as was that silver trash bag dress she was sporting.

I wonder if Jamal is going to use Michael as a way to get back in with the gay community to compete for the ASA.  I'm just happy Michael has a job and isn't a househusband. 

• Love 2

If Becky and Freda are cool with each other, then I'm happy. Freda seems to get Jamal is about the music. Becky seems to have shifted from Lucious' secretary to Jamal's  (when Lucious was in jail) and just stayed in the position. Which I love because they have such a great vibe!

I will say that I dislike the usage of "dirt" being used in conjunction with Grandma Leah. She is a person. A deeply traumatized person, no doubt, but other than being kept secret, Leah has been cared for, apparently, as long as Lucious has had money to do so. Now, why Lucious continued to keep Leah secret? It's a minorly complicated  thing, but I imagine with Lu it'll come down to protecting her from Frank and his shame over her actions.

Hakeem rebounded, in my eyes, from his tantrum-y strip club bender.  How can Hakeem rebound in Laura's eyes if she refuses him the chance? So I was a bit happier that Laura returned to Hakeem. Still? Did that have to happen over poor Anika in her hospital bed? ( I thought I was the only one to notice the macarons. I want that kind of turn down service at my next hospitalization! *g*) Plus, Laura missed how flippin' cute 'Keem was over the babyproofing!

As for Anika, the EMT mentioned something about dark blood and asked Anika what her pain felt like.   I like that Cookie was able to calm Anika and interact with Mrs. Calhoun. Those three women could eat Lucious as a tappas, if they ever got a mind to do so. Hope we get to see if he underestimates them. collectively.

I liked all the singing tonight. I just was hoping that Jamal would call Freda up to jam, too.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, RCharter said:

The board had to basically push this nonsense of Cookie, if not for that, she would happily let Lucious take control of the company again, and degrade them all again.  Because that is what Lucious does, he is mean to all of his sons, in his own way.  There are things that they won't do to him, but he has no problem doing it to them.  Cookie built up Lyon Dynasty, but she happy to let Lucious take control of her company again.  Maybe being co-CEO (and I have never heard of that before, and am unsure how that works....the CEO makes day to day decisions for the company, what happens if they disagree?) will wake her up, but the writers seem to not recognize that she is looking pretty weak right now.

I think that Cookie was more worried about an outsider taking control of her company than she was happy to have Lucious back in charge. I think she figured that she could handle Lucious (which she can to some degree) than someone who might not appreciate her talent and push her out. She and Lucious will be back at war soon enough and from her skeptical reaction to his pretend embrace, she knows it.

2 hours ago, Actionmage said:

I liked all the singing tonight. I just was hoping that Jamal would call Freda up to jam, too.

I was hoping that Freda would go up there him too. I am surprised how much I have come to like her. A strength of Empire is that the supporting actors are fleshed out or maybe they are just played by good actors who entertaining as hell. Thirsty, Becky, Freda, Porsha, Tatiana, I love them all.

41 minutes ago, Queena said:

I watch Empire via Hulu so I can't see what's happening next week. Did Andre go see his grandmother? 

Spoiler

Next week Andre shows up at some club with his grandmother. The whole family is there wondering who she is and Andre introduces her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I think that Cookie was more worried about an outsider taking control of her company than she was happy to have Lucious back in charge. I think she figured that she could handle Lucious (which she can to some degree) than someone who might not appreciate her talent and push her out. She and Lucious will be back at war soon enough and from her skeptical reaction to his pretend embrace, she knows it.

Reveal hidden contents

Next week Andre shows up at some club with his grandmother. The whole family is there wondering who she is and Andre introduces her.

But if that was her problem, than she should have fully thrown her support behind Hakeem.  Instead, from the second Hakeem became CEO she undermined him in favor of Lucious.   And Hakeem showed every indication that respected and appreciated her talents, as he was going to allow Cookie, Jamal, and Andre to have important and meaningful positions in the company.  And that he would run Empire with input from all of them, instead of running it the way that Lucious did....using it to keep them all under his control.  And Hakeem would have been far easier to talk to than Lucious, Hakeem may be stubborn, but he also has shown that he listens to Cookie.

And I think thats ultimately thats my biggest problem with new Cookie.  I always admired that Cookie put her sons first, but now her sons are second class citizens that she throws aside for Lucious.  I can respect a woman who puts her kids first, I don't have much respect for women who throw their kids under the bus over a man.  And a man that has continually screwed her over at every turn.   Its disheartening to see a strong black female character written as a fool, willing to sacrifice her own children for a man.

• Love 2

I'm happy Cookie  got recognition for her work. BUT, I don't like that psycho look Lucious gave  while telling her "I got your back" -----I think he meant "I got your back to stab, B----!"

I agree with the comment that Cookie's snarks about Lucious' women don't seem like she's jealous or longing for him. I've no doubt she loves him on some level, but I think she's moved on.

Annika's babemergency: I was like "okay, what's wrong with her/the baby?" they never did address that, so the whole thing comes off as sloppy editing.

Andre and Granny Walker: If Andre went to Philly to bring Granny back into the family, that's one thing. If he went to Philly to bring Granny back to exhibit her as Bad crap Lucious has done in his life # 42, that's something else. I don't want Granny used/exploited like that. I want Granny to get therapy and get integrated into the family. Yeah, I'd like it if she was like MawMaw on Raising Hope, not completely comic relief but there to provide a bit lightness in the same way Porsha does, but have much longer periods of lucidity than Maw Maw so she can smack the crap out of Lucious from time to time.

And Andre, are you so stupid that you can't figure out Lucious will never let you be the head of Empire??

Jamal and Michael: At first I rooted for Michael, but now I can't stand him. Jamal needs to move on and leave him in the dust where he belongs.

Jamal's retro songs. The blues song.  It had that old-timey blues sound reminiscent of Howlin' Wolf, Big Mama Thornton and Lightin' Hopkins. I absolutely love that music, so that's really the first Jamal song I actually like. The funk song (can't say it's go-go but it sorta had go-go qualities): loved it too!

Hakeem's Modern Family.......Okay, it's treading into Maury and Jerry territory, so I'm not liking it so much. :-(

Edited by Milz
forgot to add something

Cookie did support Hakeem during his brief tenure as CEO.

She constantly questioned his decisions and lectured him about keeping his emotions under control, but she also vouched for him at the shareholder's town-hall and remained firmly in his corner even though Hakeem sold out his family (with power she entrusted in him previously) on a whim.

When Hakeem confided his plan to wrest control of Empire away from Mimi via sextape, to Cookie and Jamal, Cookie was summarily impressed and willing to cede him space to pursue his plan, which worked.

• Love 3

Seeing the previews I do feel a bit for Luscious, well, maybe that's going to far. But yes, his mother did mess him up due to her bipolar disease. You know you have to side eye anything when it comes to Luscious. But we had the flashbacks and those aren't made up. So his face when he sees him mother in the previews is one of being honestly horrified, it's not an evil, I fooled you all.  He's powerful and yes selfish; but when it comes to his upbringing, he's continued to be that abused/neglected boy. He's ignorant, with that stubborn, male ego and backward ideas of what it means to be a strong man. So, his solution has been to bury his childhood, which he could have only done in his mind by "burying" his mother as well. Clearly he doesn't want to deal with his childhood, which is understandable, but unhealthy, and Andre bringing her back seems like it will be the ultimate push to finally get Luscious to deal. Or will it?  His face in the previews looked like he could be headed for where Andre just sprung grandma from. I swear Luscious looks like he's gonna need to be sedated. 

Edited by represent

I continue to love the Jamal/Freda friendship.

Also loving Lyon Brothers scenes. 

I was delighted when Laura slapped the sunglasses off Hakeem's face. 

This Co-CEOs thing is so not going to work out. Just let Cookie rule Empire like the Queen she is!

How could I forget to comment about Michael?! Why does he keep popping up?

I want them to bring back Ryan (the Aussie photographer). He and Jamal were so hot together!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5

Hakeem and his baby proof apartment was freaking adorable. Thank God he stopped with the saddest strip club ever whining soon. That would have gotten old REAL fast. 

The music n this episode was probably my favorite so far this year. The kind of blues/soul song the guy at the club played was really different, I liked it a lot. I also am surprised at how much I like Jamal/Freda and their friendship. Granted, I feel like it wont end well, but its nice to see so far. 

I laughed out loud when it turned out Sexy Journalist found Lusciouses mom . Oh snap. On the one hand, Luciouse is awful, so I seeing him getting knocked down a peg is always fun, but on the other hand, I hope his mom does not get dragged into this too much. She does not seem well at all. Plus, every once in awhile, I do feel bad for the guy. He has had a shitty life, and I can see how he became the ruthless bastard that he is. Still an asshole. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Dee said:

Cookie did support Hakeem during his brief tenure as CEO.

She constantly questioned his decisions and lectured him about keeping his emotions under control, but she also vouched for him at the shareholder's town-hall and remained firmly in his corner even though Hakeem sold out his family (with power she entrusted in him previously) on a whim.

When Hakeem confided his plan to wrest control of Empire away from Mimi via sextape, to Cookie and Jamal, Cookie was summarily impressed and willing to cede him space to pursue his plan, which worked.

I didn't see much support from Cookie, at all.  She never bothered to tell him that Lucious was going to strike out against him, which Lucious pretty much confirmed for her.  She constantly hit him, and then beat him with a broom even after he got the position.  She only reached out to him in order to get rid of Camilla and get Lucious back as CEO, because apparently she was also going to sit around as Lucious threatened to kill Hakeem.  From the minute Hakeem because CEO, she worked against him.  The shareholder meeting was simply Cookie hoping that she could convince the board to re-instate Lucious.  His little stunt is something I would avoid in CEO if I were a board member.  She should have had the sound to his mic cut, or better yet, knowing that Lucious was going to pull a stunt at the board meeting, made sure he didn't get a mic.  Or at least have prepared Hakeem.  Instead, she did nothing, and it makes me lose a lot of respect for her.  Its pathetic to throw her son under the bus for Lucious.

Hakeem sold out Lucious, and only Lucious.  Lucious in control was bad for all of them, and Hakeem was able to control Camilla with ease.  That he was the only one with enough sense to see how toxic Lucious was and to actually DO something about it makes him smarter than all of them IMO.  

The only reason Cookie "gave in" to his plan to get rid of Camilla with a sex tape is because....it would lead Lucious to being in charge again.  With Camilla and Mimi at the helm....owning all the shares that they did there was no way Lucious could be in charge again.  Again, it was just more of Cookie using her son to get Lucious back in charge.  And her little reprimands of Lucious are becoming more and more lame, when all she ever does is hand him power.

The show IMO is really getting racist. They've always demeaned white people, but this episode they took it to another level.  Imagine if some other show had white people bitching about having a black boss and how they didn't want any black people in charge?

Good episode. Liked the outcome with Lucious and Cookie now running the business.

That Harper is certainly vindictive though nice they had Andre learn the truth.

Jamal seems to be needing something more to do than sniping at his father. Michael's return was nice but they still don't know what to do with him.

Nice to see Hakeem step up to the plate with Anika too, 7/10

On April 28, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Queena said:

I watch Empire via Hulu so I can't see what's happening next week. Did Andre go see his grandmother? 

When you're watching in Hulu, you can scroll down to "Clips." They always post a couple previews for the coming episode.

I loved Cookie's peacock dress! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LaChavalina said:

When you're watching in Hulu, you can scroll down to "Clips." They always post a couple previews for the coming episode.

I loved Cookie's peacock dress! 

Thank you, I had no idea I could watch previews for the upcoming episode. 

• Love 2

Lucious and Cookie as co-CEOs, huh?  I kind of figured there would be some kind surprise twist, but I had thought it was going to be just Cookie being the CEO.  But I'm sure this will provide plenty of drama.  Especially with that final shot from Lucious.  He did not look happy.  Sure, I truly think he does love her in his own bizarre, twisted way, but despite what he claims, I have a feeling he loves the power and "Empire" more.  Watch your back, Cookie!

Always enjoy any scene that has all three of the brothers together.  While this show is very soapy and cheesy a lot of times, I actually like how realistic their relationship feels.  They truly act like how I would expect brothers/siblings to be.  The actors really have established a good rapport.

Like the more old-school singing Jamal did in this one.

Michael's back?  Hmm....

Knew Lucious backstabbing Harper was going to bite him in the ass.  Not sure how she figured that out (Thirsty dropped the ball and didn't notice he was being followed?  Thirsty actually is in on it?), but now Andre knows the truth, so I'm sure this is going to end badly for everyone involved.

Hakeem baby-proofing his apartment (event the hot-tub!) continues in the tradition of him being strangely likable.  As I my find myself saying constantly, "Dammit, he's trying!"  I did crack up over him and Laura making up, while Anika was only a few feet, passed out over whatever the hell happened to her (they never really did say, did they?)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

Slightly OT: Gabourey is another candidate for BECKY WITH THE GOOD (blonde weaved) HAIR ?

They definitely need to work that line into the show somehow. 

The role of Becky was originally meant for a "Becky"/white girl, right?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

Slightly OT: Gabourey is another candidate for BECKY WITH THE GOOD (blonde weaved) HAIR ?

I'm dying, because I swear to you I was thinking the exact same thing!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CofCinci said:

They definitely need to work that line into the show somehow. 

The role of Becky was originally meant for a "Becky"/white girl, right?

That's the original meaning... but folks seem to be out of control with the multiple interpretations of that single line. ?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Jade Foxx said:

That's the original meaning... but folks seem to be out of control with the multiple interpretations of that single line. ?

There was less concern over identifying the second gunman on the grassy knoll!

• Love 1
On 4/29/2016 at 3:51 AM, tom87 said:

This the most messed up timeline in the history of tv.

It really does just go in circles like crazy, kind of recycling the same old thing. Can we just get a damn CEO and stick with it?

On 4/29/2016 at 3:51 AM, tom87 said:

This the most messed up timeline in the history of tv.