Type keyword(s) to search

Hairspray Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On April 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Harvey Fierstein has been cast as Edna Turnblad (he won the Tony Award for the role in the Broadway musical version) & Jennifer Hudson has been cast as Motormouth Maybelle.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jennifer-hudson-harvey-fierstein-hairspray-nbc-1201759940/

Will they pad Jennifer Hudson? She's so thin now (looks great), they are going to have to do something costuming wise for the part. 

• Love 1

So who are we still waiting on? Seaweed, Linc, Amber? I am embarrassed by how excited I am. Hairspray is probably one of my top five shows. 

Martin Short takes a lot of crap lately, but I can actually see him being an appealing Wilbur. His song-and-dance with Edna is my least favorite number, but am I going to complain for a second when I get to see Harvey Fierstein in this role? No, I am not.

I thought I read Zac Efron was rumored for Corny Collins. Kind of a letdown that it's just Derek Hough. I liked that Zac would have been two characters in 10 years.

Loving Kristen Chenoweth, can't wait to hear Ms. Baltimore Crabs. Twist twist twist twist mashed potato mambo. 

On April 30, 2016 at 11:08 PM, JustaPerson said:

I'm sure DK will be great, but Matthew Morrison as Corny would have been very full circle (plus he's much more experienced with this type of live performance)

I agree that it would've been fun because he was the original Link. Derek Hough DOES have musical theater experience, though. He was in "Footloose" on the West End.

On July 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I saw over the weekend that Becca Tobin (from Glee) will be playing Amber.  I never watched Glee, so I have no opinion of her in that regard, but I do thoroughly enjoy her podcast The Ladygang, so I'm excited to see her.

She tweeted that that was false info.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2016 at 3:16 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

I'm not huge on Dover Cameron, but Garrett Clayton is actually perfect casting. He's a scenery chewer in the best sense. Tanner was a great teen beach idol parody character in Teen Beach Movie.

Here's him in character.

He looks DAMN good in that early 1960's look.

Edited by methodwriter85

NBC's Hairspray Live! Mines Broadway for Its Seaweed and Little Inez

NBC's Hairspray Live!, airing on December 7 at 8pm ET/PT, tops off its starry cast with two actors coming straight from the Broadway stage. Hamilton's Ephraim Sykes will take on the role of Seaweed — love interest of Penny Pingleton, played by Ariana Grande — while School of Rock star (and former Young Nala of The Lion King) Shahadi Wright Joseph will play Seaweed's talented sister Little Inez. Sykes' other Broadway credits include Motown, Newsies, Memphis, and The Little Mermaid.

• Love 2

I'm really, really excited for this.  Hairspray is just such a silly, joyful show, I think my mood needs it, and I think it's really perfect for the format.

I have a few casting quibbles, but they're pretty minor.  I love Jennifer Hudson, but I would have rather seen Audra McDonald or Renee Elise Goldsberry as Motormouth.  But the former just had a baby and the latter was still under contract to Hamilton for most of the year.  I'm sure JHud will be great, though.

• Love 1

I love the little details on the storefronts.  "Divine Pet Food" (with a flamingo on the sign), "Ruth's Place, "Waters Plumbing."  I'm betting there's a "Lake _______" in there too.

Edited by starri
  • Love 4
Just now, bmoore4026 said:

Also, I think she missed a few lines during "Good morning, Baltimore."

I think that was the sound cutting out.

"Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" is by far my favorite song in the show.  I was always disappointed they cut it from the movie.  Ariana Grande is stronger than I thought she would be.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

I have a feeling Tracy is flubbing her lines.  Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me.  Also, I think she missed a few lines during "Good morning, Baltimore."

I thought she did too, there were a few weird silences.

Edited by random chance
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

I have a feeling Tracy is flubbing her lines.  Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me.  Also, I think she missed a few lines during "Good morning, Baltimore."

I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the audio or if she missed lines. 

• Love 1