Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Shakedown

• Start Topic

Oh I think the drugs in Zac's bunk will be found to be something innocuous - they're playing it up too much.

Tho I would die laughing if I was proven wrong and Zac got his little bitch ass arrested for drugs because really, even if it was planted, he'll NEVER be a DEA agent if that happens... and I am still unclear how parading on a tv show about how you WANT to be an undercover snitch furthers his goal....

• Love 1

Robert is definitely faking illness to go to the hospital and not have to return to the pod. I think nothing is going on in the woman's pod so they are just making up drama

• Love 8

It's probably just protein powder!

It was. This show is just pissing me off. When Isaiah got patted down he says, "They made me feel like a criminal!" Seriously, dude? And now, miraculously, Tami has made friends and is hugging it out with her archenemy. And last week, Maryum was writing poetry, tearing up and loving everyone, but this week she looks like a deer in headlights and is afraid to breathe because she might catch something. I think this reality show has a bunch of fake drama going on. BTW, I don't know why, but I think that sheriff is a real prick.

• Love 6

Oh look Jeff is being shamed by the Sheriff for not being man enough to live as an innocent man in a jail with a crazy man who thinks the tv tells him to kill people!

I guess Jeff should have just been a man, and I am sure Sheriff Idiot will prove that point by volunteering to go undercover in some other jail to show Jeff how a real man doesn't act like a woman *bitch*.

• Love 7

Well, fuck, looky at that - Zac didn't have any drugs at all! Fuck me! How could that possibly be! <insert massive eyeroll>

The best part was how they found nothing at all.

I also seriously eyerolled at Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Fucknut merrily shaming Barbra for being the little immature bitch who really needed to fucking learn how she needed to grow the fuck up.

Seriously, Sheriff Idiot - you fucking picked the losers so maybe you're the fucking idiot here.

This was also boring as shit. Everything was completely predictable, from Zac not having drugs, to no one giving a shit about the mold or the scabies, to Sheriff Idiot merrily shitting on the participants as fucking losers who he wants to beat up for NOT TAKING THE PROGRAM SERIOUSLY.

• Love 6

Oh look Jeff is being shamed by the Sheriff for not being man enough to live as an innocent man in a jail with a crazy man who thinks the tv tells him to kill people!

I guess Jeff should have just been a man, and I am sure Sheriff Idiot will prove that point by volunteering to go undercover in some other jail to show Jeff how a real man doesn't act like a woman *bitch*.

I was mad that they wouldn't let Jeff leave until he admitted that the experience convinced him never to do anything to go back to jail. This isn't Scared Straight, ffs!

• Love 7

Tami is a punk, Maryum is a special princess who I think has a famous dad, Barbra is a special princess, Jeff wishes everyone would see that he is a special princess, Isaiah was treated unfairly and Zak is a king among punks, and Richard is Princess FullaShit.  SMDH.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I was mad that they wouldn't let Jeff leave until he admitted that the experience convinced him never to do anything to go back to jail. This isn't Scared Straight, ffs!

What the hell was that about? They were acting as if their "program" had saved Jeff from a life of knocking over liquor stores? He's a mall cop! He was in no danger of committing any real crime. Not a single chance he would be on prison on any real charges. Why shame the man?

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 9

Whenever they meet with someone for feedback they conclude with- what this person needs to do better. Instead of what should they do to improve.

I " thought" the show was about finding ways to improve the jail - not the volunteers

• Love 13

That scene was a production/Sheriff Idiot fuck you to Jeff for quitting. Likewise the very idea that Robert wouldn't simply be booted as too unstable.

If that scene was natural, and I will concede its possible due to some other things this show unwittingly reveals, then a huge part of the problem is how the staff sees the prisoners. There's not giving up the civilian undercover agent's identity... and then there's just assuming the person is a low life because they're in jail. Thats what I feel is happening with Sheriff Idiot and his crony with Jeff and Isaiah and Robert (and my not very charitable view is that Sheriff Idiot really doesn't give two shits about the women) There's an almost unconscious assumption of guilt on their part - these people are in jail, so therefore they are losers who need a lecture.

While I am sure everyone is getting a check for this, Sheriff Idiot sure does treat his handpicked, thoroughly vetted volunteers like shit beneath his shoes inmates... and his attitude is telling.

• Love 7

Tho I would die laughing if I was proven wrong and Zac got his little bitch ass arrested for drugs because really, even if it was planted, he'll NEVER be a DEA agent if that happens... and I am still unclear how parading on a tv show about how you WANT to be an undercover snitch furthers his goal....

Did he ever say he wanted to be undercover?  It's an enormous agency and I assume the undercover aspect is one of the smallest groups of employees.

It was. This show is just pissing me off. When Isaiah got patted down he says, "They made me feel like a criminal!" Seriously, dude? 

I think he was seriously shamed -- if you compare the patdown he got to the one Zac got, they were, shall we say... black and white?  Among other things, he seemed to imply that his was a lot more intimate.  If you picture the rage anybody but the most habituated con would feel, double that to the shock the first time offender (which he supposedly is) would feel, then multiply exponentially by the way a first timer who wasn't even guilty of anything would feel, then add the frustration that his humiliation is being filmed and he could end it all by speaking up, but can't because he made a promise... I felt for him.  

Interestingly, there was a parallel with Zac's bunk search -- I don't think they looked at too much of Isaiah's stuff, but they "disrespected" Zac's wife and kid in a seemingly haphazard way.  It may just come down to which particular CO you get frisking you or tossing your stuff.

Interesting that both Isaiah and Barbra appear to have pasts that weren't alluded to before this episode.  It explains both Isaiah's mom's "he needs to see what jail is like!" attitude which seemed to come out of nowhere as Isaiah seemed like a quiet, good kid brother kind of guy, and Barbra's husband's attitude (the multiple assertions by Mom that maybe now Barbra will stay home with her kids leads me to believe she tends not to, and perhaps her husband felt this exposure to bad influences would only make her worse, explaining HIS attitude at the whole project)

• Love 7

I think he was seriously shamed -- if you compare the patdown he got to the one Zac got, they were, shall we say... black and white?

If you're suggesting Isaiah got a more thorough groping because the white correctional officer was racist, I don't deny the possibility, but that assumes facts not in evidence. However much it upset Isaiah, having watched numerous episodes of Lockup, and Cops, that was not an out of the ordinary pat down.

I get why he found it upsetting but really, you're in jail, and people hide shanks in interesting places. You will get your legs spread and a man will reach between your legs and grope your junk, and since the guards are pretty much off camera and not interviewed, there's no reason to assume Isaiah was singled out for anything.

• Love 1

What the hell was that about? They were acting as if their "program" had saved Jeff from a life of knocking over liquor stores? He's a mall cop! He was in no danger of committing any real crime. Not a single chance he would be on prison on any real charges. Why shame the man?

This question came from the other guy (deputy??  Not sure).  I think that was his way of saying that nothing needed to change because it was miserable and that way no one will want to go back.  Except.... no.  It should've been obvious that Ricky wasn't actually taking his meds and they should've intervened earlier.  Yes, Jeff was showing weakness by giving away commissary and food but the simple fact is that it was way too easy for Ricky to hide his medication and sell it.  He would've snapped on someone else and it could've ended up way worse since Jeff didn't fight back. 

Yeah, the Zac drug drama was stupid. 

I also felt for Isaiah.  It was very obvious that he was getting much more of a pat down than they showed Zac getting but I actually contributed that to the fact that Isaiah was wearing the orange coverall so the guard needed to check more carefully because there were more potential hiding spots.  But, maybe that's not true.  idk. 

Barbra is so annoying and immature.  If she unilaterally made the decision to do this project against her husband's wishes than she can't be mad at him for not wanting to keep putting money into her commissary (which I am sure will be paid back when they get their payment for participating in this program but I can understand how that's hard to cover in the meantime if finances are tight), talking on the phone whenever she wants, etc, etc. 

• Love 3

Hey Sheriff Douche Canoe, the attack on Jeff could have been prevented if you had a better protocol on handling medication, especially for inmates with serious mental illness. And it could have been handled a whole lot better after the fact. The whole exit interview really steamed me. Yeah, Jeff made mistakes. But nothing excuses the fact that a man who believed the TV was telling him Jeff was a child molester was able to palm his meds for who knows how long and show increasingly unstable behavior with no intervention from the staff.

I know what we're seeing has been edited to death for dramatic effect, but he plainly said that attack couldn't have been prevented, which is complete bullshit.

• Love 8

Hey Sheriff Douche Canoe, the attack on Jeff could have been prevented if you had a better protocol on handling medication, especially for inmates with serious mental illness. And it could have been handled a whole lot better after the fact. The whole exit interview really steamed me. Yeah, Jeff made mistakes. But nothing excuses the fact that a man who believed the TV was telling him Jeff was a child molester was able to palm his meds for who knows how long and show increasingly unstable behavior with no intervention from the staff.

I know what we're seeing has been edited to death for dramatic effect, but he plainly said that attack couldn't have been prevented, which is complete bullshit.

Sadly that happens in jail.  Inmates palm their meds and sell them; inmates go to 12 step meetings and palm sugar to make alcohol later.  If there's a way, an inmate will find it. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

Yeah, they were sure pounding the "nothing could have been done to prevent it" angle.  They made sure they said it AND Jeff said it.  Hope he got extra for doing so, and it wasn't just a case of "we're not going to cash your check because you didn't meet the following requirements to be paid, but we COULD release the whole thing if you'll just answer this question that way."

Seems like basic sense 101 to at least do a daily orientation check with people on antipsychotic medications. You know, check to see what the voices are up to. 

• Love 4

Seems like basic sense 101 to at least do a daily orientation check with people on antipsychotic medications. You know, check to see what the voices are up to.

And there's the rub. If Ricky was in a mental hospital and not jail, that might be an option but he's in a jail where people are not supposed to be coddled. So even though his criminal behavior probably stems from his mental illness, he's committed a crime so his treatment will be substandard as the jail is not a hospital and can't afford to have someone do a daily orientation check since Ricky isn't the only prisoner with mental illness.

• Love 3

I agree. From all appearances, Jeff is, and always has been, a law-abiding citizen. That scene was ridiculous.

I've decided this entire show is ridiculous. I know for certain that I won't be watching Season 2, and I'm not real sure that I can make it thru the rest of this season. I'm so fucking tired of reality shows. I've been watching them for years, and I've yet to find one that is true "reality". Intervention is as close as it gets to the real thing, and that's only because the addicts/alcoholics are too fucked up to give a shit.

• Love 2

I was very surprised to read that the 2nd season of this show is going to be at the same jail. Apparently when the producers saw the initial footage they decided they had a hit on their hands and got a second group of 8 into the jail before the first season aired and before any action was taken about the drugs and corrupt guards. When I watched the first episode, I kind of bought in to the premise: there's a new sheriff in town, the jail has known problems and he wants a unique way to deal with them. But in every exit interview and family interview we've seen he just sits there like an uncomprehending slug, any suggestion for change is met with a "Well, we could look into that, I suppose,"  and he and Deputy Sheriff Scottie finish the interview off with some victim shaming. So it's really all about getting on TV.

That being said, I know I'll be watching the 2nd season. *hangs head in shame* What can I say? I'm a sucker for any kind of prison show, from Lockup to Prison Break.

• Love 10

Robert came in INVESTED with demonstrating that "Jail Is For Punks to Live The E-Z Life!" First thing he did when he came to the pod was to lie down and put his feet up and talk about How Wonderful jail is....which made the others give him the stink-eye. He went into solitary and binged and acted the fool so that he could LAY AROUND and further show that "Solitary" is a "Chance to Catch Up On Your Reading While You Eat A Twinkie!" Bet he's wondering if there are Any More Places he can find around the jail to Show How Easy Life Is When You Are Incarcerated. He is so invested with this project, that I think he might be trying to write a book about it after he gets out. "Jail is for Punks! Stop Funding Jail Expansion!" or something like that. The look in his face when he talks shows that he is WAYYYY INTO this character that he decided to play and there is NO WAY he's giving it up. He's annoying, but at least the other inmates got a breaky break from his insulting comments.

Edited by Eme
  • Love 5

I don't understand this show at all. It seems like the producers made some kind of deal to have people go undercover and report back living conditions and general goings on to the Sheriff. The Sheriff meanwhile, is deciding to treat these undercover people like crap and turn the whole experience into a scared straight for people who didn't do anything wrong. If Sheriff idiot started lecturing me about do I want to come back here I would flat up say: I am not a criminal, I haven't committed any crime and have no reason to ever be here. This is a paid gig.

The Sheriff seems more interested in stirring up things with the faux inmates relatives than in treating them like he values their participation and their input. In fact, every time he talks about one of the undercover folk, it's to complain about something they aren't doing right or to insist he will lock them up for real if they do anything wrong. He also constantly says everything will blow the program. If Robert needed to go to the hospital, how would that blow the program? The inmates probably wouldn't even remember him and he could easily have been transferred to another jail or to a psych hospital. I think the bottom line is the Sheriff wants to control everyone's every move and is pissed that won't be able to do that if Robert is too ill to continue.

I would watch the show if another Sheriff was the one being interviewed, but this guy is a total asshole. On top of that, with cameras running all the time, what could the inmates learn that the cameras can't see? Not a whole lot.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4

Hoarders. Hoarders are also too fucked up to give a shit. I mean, dead cats, and jars of pee... you can't get much realer than that

Oh, yes! I forgot all about Hoarders, probably because I don't watch that show. I have an aversion to dead cats, black mold and 3-year-old leftovers.

• Love 2

In watching a rerun, I find myself wondering why Zac and Isaiah aren't suspicious of the producers "casually" pulling Jeff for an interview and Jeff... never returning. Seems like that would be considered odd....

Sheriff Idiot's snide condescending attitude towards the participants, and Deputy Dickhead as well, are slowly driving me up a wall. The whole "they're turning into inmates" with that whole eye rolly "yup I figured they'd turn, must be closet criminals" tone irritates. The whole point is for the inmates to think the participants are inmates so why is this such a bitch point? Particularly when the second someone DOESN'T act like an inmate, there's Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumfuck  to bitch and moan how stupid the participants are being.

I'm pretty much calling bullshit on the show's premise. I think Sheriff Idiot IS an idiot if he genuinely can't pull his head out of his ass and see the OBVIOUS problems in his jail. And none of his obvious problems really require people going undercover. The jail is overcrowded and he's shortstaffed.

eta - I'm a terrible person but was I the only one who noticed that Zac was rock hard while being patted down?

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 6

ZoloftBlob I totally noticed his hard on the whole time. HaHa I thought I was the only one. I cant stop looking at it. lol

Plus Zac has a woody all the time. maybe its just the sweatpants but still cant unsee it

• Love 1

And there's the rub. If Ricky was in a mental hospital and not jail, that might be an option but he's in a jail where people are not supposed to be coddled. So even though his criminal behavior probably stems from his mental illness, he's committed a crime so his treatment will be substandard as the jail is not a hospital and can't afford to have someone do a daily orientation check since Ricky isn't the only prisoner with mental illness.

That is true.   60 Minutes had a segment about Rikers Island in NY.  If you want to see reality, watch that segment.  The correction officers are not trained to handle mentally ill people and since large mental hospitals have closed down, the prisons have picked up the slack.

My problem with this show is, I can't see why anybody would want to do it for 60 days; a week or two maybe, but two months?  No way.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

Robert came in INVESTED with demonstrating that "Jail Is For Punks to Live The E-Z Life!" First thing he did when he came to the pod was to lie down and put his feet up and talk about How Wonderful jail is....which made the others give him the stink-eye. He went into solitary and binged and acted the fool so that he could LAY AROUND and further show that "Solitary" is a "Chance to Catch Up On Your Reading While You Eat A Twinkie!" Bet he's wondering if there are Any More Places he can find around the jail to Show How Easy Life Is When You Are Incarcerated. He is so invested with this project, that I think he might be trying to write a book about it after he gets out. "Jail is for Punks! Stop Funding Jail Expansion!" or something like that. The look in his face when he talks shows that he is WAYYYY INTO this character that he decided to play and there is NO WAY he's giving it up. He's annoying, but at least the other inmates got a breaky break from his insulting comments.

But do you think any of that is sincere? I was doubtful that anyone could be so clueless on week 1 and now in week 8 I don't believe anything the man says. It's all an act.

• Love 4

But do you think any of that is sincere? I was doubtful that anyone could be so clueless on week 1 and now in week 8 I don't believe anything the man says. It's all an act.

I'm not sure it's an act. I've decided he really is crazy. I don't know what they could have been thinking when they (sheriff/producers) decided to let him (Robert) do this. Someone mentally ill should have been off-limits for this gig IMO. I guess they thought he would bring the drama.

That is true.   60 Minutes had a segment about Rikers Island in NY.  If you want to see reality, watch that segment.  The correction officers are not trained to handle mentally ill people and since large mental hospitals have closed down, the prisons have picked up the slack.

My problem with this show is, I can't see why anybody would want to do it for 60 days; a week or two maybe, but two months?  No way.

I might consider doing it if the pay was good, like really, really good. Lol

eta - I'm a terrible person but was I the only one who noticed that Zac was rock hard while being patted down?

Not only did I notice it but I paused the tv for a moment to make sure I was seeing things correctly. It might just be the sweat pants but either way his wife is a lucky lady.

Anyway, I wish they would have told us what the powder in Zack's bunk was. Protein power maybe?

• Love 1

Anyway, I wish they would have told us what the powder in Zack's bunk was. Protein power maybe?

Except it was already in a bag of protein powder and was a different color. And why would you have a folded up piece of paper in the bag, anyway? At first I thought maybe he was using the folded paper as an improvised measuring cup, but I later saw him with something orange in his hand that looked like the kind of measuring cup you'd get packaged in with something that needed to be measured. I'm not accusing him of anything (since he has zero incentive to be seen with drugs on camera), but I can understand why the officers looked at it and decided it needed to be checked.

Except it was already in a bag of protein powder and was a different color. And why would you have a folded up piece of paper in the bag, anyway? At first I thought maybe he was using the folded paper as an improvised measuring cup, but I later saw him with something orange in his hand that looked like the kind of measuring cup you'd get packaged in with something that needed to be measured. I'm not accusing him of anything (since he has zero incentive to be seen with drugs on camera), but I can understand why the officers looked at it and decided it needed to be checked.

Protein powder was my best guess but I really have no clue what the powder could be. Obviously it wasn't narcotics but it still seems weird to hide something completely innocent. I wonder why it wasn't brought up by the producers in an interview though.

Edited by grumpypanda

Robert thinks he is SMARTER than everyone there....especially Sheriff Idiot.  He has a grandiose self-image and is certain that he can "show the world" that Jail is Easy Peazy and that "you can work it" so why the big deal about prison crowding, funding, building?  Just a waste of money.  When he went in, he immediately started on his role.  (We'd like to think it was a role, but since we don't know him irl, this may be just who he is.)  He started up by laying down, "showing" the rest how WONDERFUL jail is and that they should take a page out of his book.  RELAX!  This is breeze!  He didn't even bother to memorize his back story....but, see, he's SMARTER than everyone else, and he was blindsided by the inmates who actually Listened to him, and called him out on his lies.  He did not expect that.  Can't recall how long he was there before he put the towel on the camera -- so that he could "get" solitary. He was DONE with the pod and wanted to Show Off that solitary is FUN FUN FUN!  Another chance to mock the system!!  See!  I can sit around, eat junk, and read and I GET THE LAST LAUGH.  Well. Ok.  I feel like he has been consistent throughout because he is trying to Make A Point.....Doesn't matter if he falls apart mentally....HE IS MAKING A POINT!

• Love 6

Barbra's family is horrible. She's better off divorcing her shot-gun hubby, taking her kids and moving away from her mom. Sure, she's whiny and mildly immature but her husband seems like a selfish kid. She's without her kids, trying out a social experiment and he can't even bother to be a bit more compassionate or conversational. The other spouses put him to shame. Regardless of how much of a wildchild she was before getting pregnant, her mother and husband are deeply misguided. They both implied she takes motherhood and family for granted and needed this experience to reign herself in and realize her dreams and aspirations are dead and that she should settle to mediocrity and servitude. I couldn't believe Sheriff Idiot's condescending comments.

• Love 6

As a lover of Jail/prison shows ( Lockup<3) I was so looking forward to this show but can't seem to get into it and may remove it from my DVR lineup.

Observations : Can't believe Tami is LEO ; Manson Lamps Robert teaches children ? I can't wrap my head around that ; did you know Maryums dad is Mohammed Ali ?? Hahaha. Laila is the only offspring I've heard of.

• Love 3

I'm sorry, but some of these camera angles are NOT coming from installed cameras. It is completely ridiculous that there are men with cameras in there roaming around. I mean, for a special", yes. But for 60 days?? Totally suspicious. I wonder if everyone is an actor and the joke is not on the inmates, it's on us.

• Love 5

I'm siding with Barbra's husband on this one. He obviously didn't want her to do this and she did it anyway, and now she is making him a bad guy by forcing him to be televised when he is not pleased. She is such a brat. But it was sweet when she came around and realized this isn't easy on anyone.

Now Tami is on the "inside" socially, and has changed personalities to being a little school girl. Nothing disarms a person more than fitting in where they were excluded. Now, can Barbra AND Tami just be civil and pleasant with everyone at the same time?

Thankyou, stupid pointless raid. Not sure why an officer couldn't just go in there and search like they do in prison. All of that fake drama was so dumb.

And speaking of dumb, Robert. What a coward. I so wanted him to go back and get his butt kicked in one of the pods. He is a useless faking wuss, and I'm pretty sure a monkey on absinthe picked these people for this so called "program."

• Love 1

But was Jeff really hit?

I found it awfully suspicious they have a billion camera angles, yet when Jeff gets hit we get this far off almost blurry camera shot where we can't see anything.

Then add in he had zero marks on his face...I dunno, I do want to think this show is at least mostly real, but that scene really bugged me. They had showed him in his bunk just fine before he got hit and then when he gets hit the best camera angle they can show is one where we can't even see him?

In fact, when you think about it there have been four total fights. Three of them we saw ZERO punches land where all the action is conveniently off camera. The fourth one was where the big guy gets blindsided, but the punches that land were SO lame.

I just can't wrap my head around them getting prisoners to act though. And I am pretty sure these really are prisoners because in one of the threads someone even looked up the record on the big guy who got "hit".

I am not ready to say the show is fake yet, but certain things are certainly setting off warning signs...

• Love 3

I think he really got punched. I suspect Ricky who lost his prior fight isn't exactly Muhammed Ali of Jail and Jeff pretty much ran away and into the middle of the day room while running in terror. I don't think *Jeff* is a good enough actor to have faked that scene.

I think we're seeing some reality, that a lot of jailfights are like school fights where people don't get killed. As much as Sheriff Idiot wants us to believe these are all hardened criminals, the reality is that most of them aren't heavy hitters.

That maryum is Muhammed Ali's daughter, Robert and Barbra were on tv, and Tami's claims of being a cop are somewhat exaggerated, I think *something* isn't right here....

• Love 1