Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Kimmy Goes Roller Skating!

Vonda turned out to be sweet and adorable. I loved the flashbacks to Ronald & Vonda's wedding. I about died when Vonda 'Robocopped' her way out of the reception and when Ronald's 5 aunts had simultaneous heart attacks. I was really disliking Titus for his treatment of Vonda but he redeemed himself completely with the dance on the train station platform. I hope Vonda returns later in the season.

OMG, I laughed out loud when Jacqueline locked herself in the cop car and said "I'm sweating like an Indian in here". I laughed louder with her follow up of "It's okay, I can say that". 

My least favorite story was Dong & Kimmy; they don't work for me. They are painfully chemistry-free. 

Bobby Durst was a total WTF. It was okay for one episode but I hope they don't keep it as a running gag throughout the season. Could get uncomfortable quickly.

• Love 2

"We all have our gray areas." "Sonya's is enormous." I cackled. God, I've missed this show.

Loved the running gag with the "how do I know that?" re: the Kardashians.

I loved Vonda and I'm glad Titus could channel some of his Ronald Wilkerson. Perhaps this will lead to him becoming a better, less self-involved person.

Of course "Bobby" Durst was Lillian's first true love. Of course.

I want to like Jacqueline's story so much. I love the actors who play her parents, and I think the show does a really good job of portraying how modern-day Native Americans would live. It's unfortunately not something I know much about, but they have a nice balance between honoring their traditions and heritage, as well as being very much aware of the world around them. But, as much as I love Jane Krakowski, why oh why did they get a white actress to play Jacqueline? I know Krakowski is an FOT (Friend of Tina's) but this whole thing could have worked much better with a white-passing NA actress. It's got all the right stuff going for it except that.

I am curious to see how we go from where we are now to the disastrous Christmas party in three months. They've already laid the foundation of one of Titus's past lives coming out in full force, as Kimmy has a stocking for her. And Mimi Kanasis is back, as well as the construction worker from last season. It should be interesting. I trust this team of writers to pull something like that off very well. And I like the idea of each season starting with Kimmy looking at a Christmas tree.

I forgot how much I've missed the various names Titus has for Kimmy. I can't remember all the ones he used this episode, but Kimberlake was awesome and Kim Blake Nelson was a nice shoutout to last season, even if Randy seriously annoyed.

"The animated film Anastasia is based on my life."

The whole "New York moral relativism" idea really spoke to me. I've lived in New York for almost four years now and so many things that I'm sure other people would find weird or downright awful behavior has become normal to me. Sometimes it's a huge culture shock just to go back to Pennsylvania.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dong busting out the Kardashian vocal fry and mannerisms was hilarious, as was everyone admitting they know the most random things about the Kardashians. "Rob Kardashian- the sock designer?" Ha!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Kimmy: "You are just Mr. Sassafras Jeans today!"

Titus: "That's a dumb name for how fierce I'm being right now."

I almost burst into tears laughing at that one.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 5

I loved the premiere. The running Kardashian joke, Vonda (& her RoboCop), Titus being an ass but bringing it back around to Ronald. All of it. But this?

Kimmy: "You are just Mr. Sassafras Jeans today!"

Titus: "That's a dumb name for how fierce I'm being right now."

I almost burst into tears laughing at that one.

May have been the best exchange of the episode.

• Love 3

I don't understand how come jacqueline knows nothing about the Sioux culture. She was raised in it.  She forgot everything that happened before she left as a teenager, a teenager  not a 4 year old.

I kept wanting her parents to ask about their grandson. Did Jackie even tell them she had a kid?

Edited by Sparger Springs

It didn't seem like she was paying much attention to anything her parents tried to teach her before she left. She did seem to retain the language and she wears her Sioux necklace outside of her outfits now! That's pretty good, for her. 

• Love 2

I think the Jacqueline would have worked better had they cast an actual native American passing for white as the character.. or when Jane k was cast..changing the character to that of a Polish American forsaking her heritage to adapt to higher society since I think the actress is part polish.

I hope the SNL cameos are few...I want the show to exist separate of SNL as much as possible...even if the creator is mean girl Tina fey.

I will say I loved the Titus story as well as the Lillian vignette. and kimmy is so adorable :)

• Love 2

I understand the "outrage/offensiveness" to some but for me the "joke" only works because it is played by Jane Krakowski.  As in the commentary is in the actual absurdity of it, so casting an actual Native American in the role wouldn't make any sense.

This is not an exact example, but taking Steve Martin's "The Jerk" as a parallel.  The beginning of the movie only works because the character is played by a white man.  The actual commentary is in the absurdity of the joke and not the narrative.

• Love 6
On 4/21/2016 at 7:46 PM, Dizzychickstar said:

I go to laugh and then feel uncomfortable.

I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for. Because of, essentially:

On 4/21/2016 at 10:40 PM, JBC344 said:

I understand the "outrage/offensiveness" to some but for me the "joke" only works because it is played by Jane Krakowski.  As in the commentary is in the actual absurdity of it, so casting an actual Native American in the role wouldn't make any sense.

Edited by theatremouse
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for. Because of, essentially:

Yea, i see it along the same lines as the Chapelle show skit where he played Claton Bigbsy the blind white supremacist. That skit wouldn't have been as funny with a white guy in the role either.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think the "joke" is funny nor worth the casting, personally.  The Chappelle skit is so very different for so many reasons.  For one, it's a minority acting out certain white realities.  This show is using a white person acting out Native (realities? I don't know whether they are realities or the writers' stereotypes) - punching down instead of up.  Also the Chappelle skit was insightful and funny - it shows the realness of racism, in that Chappelle's character was a Klan member who was so racist that the irony is that he was being racist against himself.  To me it's not "funny" that Jane Krakowski is playing a Native person - after 26 episodes I haven't laughed once at that.   Sometimes a comment is just that, a comment, not necessarily anything of value, or even necessary to make, or even so necessary that it required not casting a Native actor.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I love Jacqueline's parents.

Vonda and Titus dancing on the train station platform - terrific. I hope we see Vonda again.

I think that Kimmy needs to forget about Dong and his green card marriage and find a new guy. I'm not getting the "this is the one" feeling from them.

Wouldn't mind seeing Xan again.

Finally getting around to binging this!

Loved seeing Titus's ex, and how they actually were more then willing to make Titus the wrong party in this.  He is entertaining as hell, but he's clearly can be a selfish, egotistical jerk a lot of times, and I'm glad he finally apologized at the end.  I wouldn't mind seeing more flashbacks to when he was Ronald.  Wouldn't mind seeing Vonda again either, although the dance at the end would be a nice way to send her off.

Not surprised that Kimmy is still hung up on Dong, even though it would probably be better for her to just move on.  Ellie Kemper continues to shine and I'm glad the Emmys at least had the sense to nominated her this season unlike last time.

Of course, Lillian's first love was Robert Durst.  Played by Fred Amerson.  Of course!

I'm still mixed on Jacqueline's Native American history.  Her parents are awesome and I still think they mainly avoid being offensive to Native Americans, since Jacqueline is mainly the butt of all the jokes, but it still feels weird and uncomfortable at times.  I guess that is what they are going for.

The running gag about the Kardashians was hilarious!

• Love 1

I think this show came back funnier than season 1. I'm actually kind of glad I saved it. I need it right now in a way I didn't when the episodes were first released.

I totally didn't get Fred Armisen's "Bobby" Durst character until coming here. I don't watch HBO. 

I didn't need Vonda to stick around but I liked their dance at the end. 

I forgot that Dong was a character. I remember them studying a bit (sort of) but I don't remember their romance at all. I have a better memory of the tutor and I forget what his face looked like. I'm OK with them benching him for a while. 

But, as much as I love Jane Krakowski, why oh why did they get a white actress to play Jacqueline? I know Krakowski is an FOT (Friend of Tina's) but this whole thing could have worked much better with a white-passing NA actress. It's got all the right stuff going for it except that.

I'm torn. I love the actors who play her parents. And I do think it works better with Krakowski in the role. But while there are some good jokes in there, I'm not sure they're doing enough work with identity politics to justify this story line. They've been playing everything super ridiculously so far but they could have had Krakowski bumping into things without her contacts and doing the electric slide for any number of reasons. I do appreciate that they took what could have been a throwaway joke and they're running with it but they haven't cashed it out yet.