Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Saying he was a talented drummer is a huge understatement...he was one of the best.

His drum kit was insane. He also wrote most of their lyrics. He definitely goes in the pantheon. I'm glad he lived long enough for their induction in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. R.I.P.

• Love 10

Wolfgang Dauner, German jazz fusion pianist.
https://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/pop/jazzmusiker-wolfgang-dauner-gestorben-16575377.html

Ed Sprague Sr., American baseball player (Oakland Athletics, Milwaukee Brewers, Cincinnati Reds)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/Ed-Sprague-Sr-an-original-Oakland-Athletic-14965834.php

Bobby Comstock, American pop singer.

https://www.14850.com/010912270-bobby-comstock/

Hal Smith, American baseball player (Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates).

https://www.everhere.com/us/obituaries/tx/columbus/harold-w-smith-10242898

Galen Cole, American philanthropist

https://www.wmtw.com/article/well-known-maine-veteran-philanthropist-galen-cole-dies-at-94/30473189#

Lan O' Kun, screenwriter

https://deadline.com/2020/01/lan-okun-obituary-collaborator-with-shari-lewis-dies-at-87-1202827877/

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
13 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I love Rush. RIP Neil Pert.

My mom used to do week long bike tours. After one she was telling me, "One of the guys on our tour plays in some band.  Something like Rush, maybe?"

Turns out that was Neil. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I was fortunate enough to see Rush in concert three times. He was truly a master on the drums and an amazing lyricist. I listened to "The Garden" and cried when I heard the news. RIP sir thank you for the music 🎶

• Love 5
21 hours ago, BetterButter said:

As a HUGE Rush fan (other Rush fans will know that by my user name), I have Rush alerts on Sirius/XM.  Yesterday when I was driving home from work, I got a couple alerts & thought it was weird.  Then more alerts started coming from stations that don't normally play them; I immediately started to cry, I knew something terrible must have happened to one of them.  I was lucky enough to have seen them 4 times, including on their farewell tour.  I was sad that their days as a band were final, but now for sure it is final final.   I'm devastated by the news 😢 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

5 kids adopted? Who wss the 5th, I only remember Christina, Christopher and the twins.

I did a quick search that said one of the kids Crawford adopted was reclaimed by their birth mother.

I'm not sure if Crawford adopted all five kids from that godawful Tennessee Children's Home, but do believe the twins came from there.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I did a quick search that said one of the kids Crawford adopted was reclaimed by their birth mother.

I'm not sure if Crawford adopted all five kids from that godawful Tennessee Children's Home, but do believe the twins came from there.

Soon as I hit the submit button I remembered the adoption that fell through.  From then on, Joan took no chances when adopting the rest.

20 hours ago, ByTor said:

As a HUGE Rush fan (other Rush fans will know that by my user name), I have Rush alerts on Sirius/XM.  Yesterday when I was driving home from work, I got a couple alerts & thought it was weird.  Then more alerts started coming from stations that don't normally play them; I immediately started to cry, I knew something terrible must have happened to one of them.  I was lucky enough to have seen them 4 times, including on their farewell tour.  I was sad that their days as a band were final, but now for sure it is final final.   I'm devastated by the news 😢 

And I always wanted to see this band. I am glad for others like you that saw their last hurrah as a band. I always liked their music. Screw cancer!😥

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Soon as I hit the submit button I remembered the adoption that fell through.  From then on, Joan took no chances when adopting the rest.

Wasn't there also a question if the twins really were "twins"?  I've heard it both ways.  I wouldn't put it past that Tennessee Children's Home to claim Cindy and Cathy were twins when they really weren't.  Horrible place!  Georgia Tann was pure evil pretending to do good.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Wasn't there also a question if the twins really were "twins"?  I've heard it both ways.  I wouldn't put it past that Tennessee Children's Home to claim Cindy and Cathy were twins when they really weren't.  Horrible place!  Georgia Tann was pure evil pretending to do good.  

I believe the youngest adopted children of Joan Crawford DID find evidence that they were in fact  fraternal twins who had been put up for adoption after their birth mother died after their birth- and I think Mrs. Lalonde and her late twin Cindy [NOT to be confused with the model and actress] later reunited with their birth family.  Of course, it seems that the twins were treated FAR better than Miss Crawford's elder children . Hence, I think it's safe to say that since THEY didn't experience the kinds of abuse that their elder sibs would claim to have experienced, they refused to believe that Christina or Christopher's claims could have been true (though there were plenty of peers of both Joan and Christina who went on record to confirm Christina Crawford's claims).  It wouldn't be the first time a guardian deliberately picked certain kids to be their whipping boys/girls  but treating others like fine China. 

Yes, I agree that Miss Tann was evil  .In some cases, the babies were outrightly kidnapped from their bio parents then Miss Tann had an accomplice judge strip the parents of all  legal rights before selling them to the highest bidder. I think the cases of the youngest Miss Crawfords, they HAD been put up for adoption by their surviving impoverished  bio father. 

Regardless of the conflict between the youngest Miss Crawfords and their elder sibs, Mrs. LaLonde did appear to have had a full life and wound up being the matriarch of her own family. RIP, Mrs. LaLonde.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Wikipedia says 4, and not 5.

But, evidently, there was another baby boy adopted by Joan Crawford and her, then-husband  Phillip Terry who they named Christopher but, after they put the boy's birth date in the tabloids the boy's bio mother traced him and got the adoption overturned. What became of him after that seems to be unknown. If he's still living, he would now be the only living person besides Christina to have been adopted by Miss Crawford). 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

AHEM!.  He was 87.  If he'd been born in 1942 he'd have been 18 when he started playing Kookie.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/09/77-sunset-strip-grease-star-edd-byrnes-dead-at-87/

I was wondering about him the other day since I really wasn't familiar with his career subsequent to Kookie.  But was he ever the thing back in the day.  Friday nights my babysitter Bonnie and I would watched 77 transfixed and snap our fingers during that catchy theme song.

• Love 7

Lord Tim Hudson, English disc jockey and voice actor

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-7879563/SPORTS-AGENDA-BBC-wont-getting-rid-Mark-Pougatch.html

Lord' Tim Hudson, Sir Ian Botham's flamboyant ex-manager from the 1980s, has died at the age of 79. A huge cricket fan, DJ and voiceover artist, Hudson was close to the Beatles and in 2004 published his memoirs, From The Beatles to Botham. 

He and Botham eventually fell out over failed plans to turn the England cricketer into a Hollywood actor in the mid-80s. It is understood that Hudson's US-based daughter, River, tried to contact Botham after her father's passing but has so far been unable to do so. 

Hudson, who hosted celebrity matches at the cricket ground at his former Cheshire home, Birtles Old Hall, passed away last month

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

My first thought too.    Dammit.   He had a successful career as an acting coach after he left Highlander.   Oh my.   So sad.

I had to look him up myself because I honestly never heard of him before.

Didn't know he had a career as an acting coach, and thought he had just retired from acting.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Thank you Carol Serling for your contribution to The Twilight Zone and for later keeping Rod's legacy alive.  While there have been many remakes/reboots and even movies, none have captured for me the magic of the original series.  I still pay utmost respect to dolls. It's winter people.  Put a blanket on those dolls!  R.I.P. Ms. Serling.  

• Love 7