Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Racehorse Mongolian Dream died at the Breeders Cup race yesterday.  He is the 37th horse to die at the Santa Anita race track since December!  Horses should not be looked at as replaceable pieces of sporting equipment.

R.i.p. Mongolian Dream.  Run free!

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Horses should not be looked at as replaceable pieces of sporting equipment.

The treatment of the horses and the jockeys means horse racing is something I want absolutely no part of.

• Love 14

What a clickbait headline - Golden Girls star?  He was in the pilot and never appeared again.

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

"One report, according to the outlet, it was noted the actor's body was "naked, missing internal organs and was wedged between trees."  Wha?

He fell down a cliff and died in the woods; in the nearly week that passed before his body was found, it was scavenged by animals.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What a clickbait headline - Golden Girls star?  He was in the pilot and never appeared again.

He fell down a cliff and died in the woods; in the nearly week that passed before his body was found, it was scavenged by animals.

Likely, but it STILL sounds as though it was a horrible way to go!  Hard to believe that Betty White was the firstborn of the main cast but has been the last survivor for nearly a decade! 

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Homily said:

My parents used to let us stay up to watch Ed Sullivan whenever Topo Gigio was going to be on!  Hadn't thought about that in years.

Edited to add English link:

Maria Perego dead

As @Homily said, for those here who are too young to know about this, Topo Gigio was a mouse puppet who was voiced by a puppeteer with an Italian accent (so the mouse was Italian too) who appeared fairly frequently on The Ed Sullivan Show. That was a long-running variety-type show that aired on Sunday nights on CBS, back in at least the 1960’s & early ‘70’s. The Beatles (& I’m pretty sure Elvis, too) appeared on the program & made a huge splash. I think it was on in the hour when they now air 60 Minutes, or whatever comes on immediately after it. I remember watching Topo Gigio on the show, & I think comedy acts like Joan Rivers & Stiller & Meara. I might’ve also seen Shari Lewis & Lamb Chop. But I don’t remember seeing The Beatles. At least not live as it happened. I have seen tapes of that though.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Can you please provide context? I can’t make out what you’re posting about with just that link. And the link isn’t clear what the article is about.

51 minutes ago, Homily said:

My parents used to let us stay up to watch Ed Sullivan whenever Topo Gigio was going to be on!  Hadn't thought about that in years.

Edited to add English link:

Maria Perego dead

50 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The creator of Topo Gigio Italian mouse puppet died

16 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

As @Homily said, for those here who are too young to know about this, Topo Gigio was a mouse puppet who was voiced by a puppeteer with an Italian accent (so the mouse was Italian too) who appeared fairly frequently on The Ed Sullivan Show. That was a long-running variety-type show that aired on Sunday nights on CBS, back in at least the 1960’s & early ‘70’s. The Beatles (& I’m pretty sure Elvis, too) appeared on the program & made a huge splash. I think it was on in the hour when they now air 60 Minutes, or whatever comes on immediately after it. I remember watching Topo Gigio on the show, & I think comedy acts like Joan Rivers & Stiller & Meara. I might’ve also seen Shari Lewis & Lamb Chop. But I don’t remember seeing The Beatles. At least not live as it happened. I have seen tapes of that though.

Sorry.

17 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

But I don’t remember seeing The Beatles. At least not live as it happened.

I did!  Another occasion when my parents let me stay up - I had a major crush on Paul McCartney when I was 5 🙂 .  But Topo Gigio ran him a close second!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hate these type of headlines.  You see something like "Cheers Star DIes" and you click on the story thinking Ted Danson, Kirstie Alley, or Shelley Long died, and then you realize it's an actress who played one of the character's Aunt Sally in two episodes.  

• Love 11
9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The Beatles (& I’m pretty sure Elvis, too) appeared on the program & made a huge splash. I think it was on in the hour when they now air 60 Minutes, or whatever comes on immediately after it.

Yes, Elvis appeared on Ed Sullivan too. And because of "standards" back then, he was only filmed from the waist up.

The Beatles actually had a 3-show contract, with the first show airing February '64. I believe this was their first major introduction to a U.S. audience.

Ed Sullivan's show was on every Sunday night at 8pm.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Yes, Elvis appeared on Ed Sullivan too. And because of "standards" back then, he was only filmed from the waist up.

The Beatles actually had a 3-show contract, with the first show airing February '64. I believe this was their first major introduction to a U.S. audience.

Ed Sullivan's show was on every Sunday night at 8pm.

Now I know why I didn’t see at least the 1st appearance by The Beatles live on The Ed Sullivan Show. In February, 1964 I was only 6 or 7 months old, depending on if they were on before or after the 5th of the month. 

• Love 4
On 11/10/2019 at 4:21 AM, MsTree said:

A bit OT, but this article goes into detail about Elvis's famous appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show:

Contrary to popular belief, this was not the performance in which Presley was only filmed from the waist up. Although cameras mainly stayed on the top half of his body as he sang his first number, he was shown in full-length for his final two songs.

However, it was clear that his movements were causing excited reactions from some of the girls in the studio audience, so during his final number the cameras began to find tighter shots of the singer so as not to disturb the more easily offended members of the viewing public.

One interesting detail I had forgotten was that Charles Laughton was substitute hosting for Sullivan that night.

• Love 3

Rick Ludwin, NBC late night exec who basically is the reason Seinfeld exists (he paid for the first four episodes out of his late night/specials budget when the prime time execs didn’t want to make it) and mentored a lot of late night writers/comedians from SNL and the other writing staffs.

John Mulaney and Mike Schur (along with many others) both shared some stories about him on twitter (both threads)

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Rick Ludwin, NBC late night exec who basically is the reason Seinfeld exists (he paid for the first four episodes out of his late night/specials budget when the prime time execs didn’t want to make it) and mentored a lot of late night writers/comedians from SNL and the other writing staffs.

John Mulaney and Mike Schur (along with many others) both shared some stories about him on twitter (both threads)

Oh that’s too bad. 

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Actress Virginia Leith has died at the age of 94.  She was in a bunch of movies, but she will always be remembered as Jan Compton (aka 'Jan in the Pan') in the 'The brain that wouldn't die'. 

Never saw that movie, but recently saw her in A Kiss Before Dying.  

• Love 3
On 11/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, BooksRule said:

Actress Virginia Leith has died at the age of 94.  She was in a bunch of movies, but she will always be remembered as Jan Compton (aka 'Jan in the Pan') in the 'The brain that wouldn't die'. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/virginia-leith-dead-star-brain-wouldnt-die-was-94-1254393

Gosh - that movie was a staple late Friday nights on the locally-produced Shock Theater (hosted by Ghoulardi).

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oscar Nominated ‘House of 1000 Corpses’ Actor Michael J. Pollard

Oh no!  I thought of him the other day while watching a show about the real Bonnie and Clyde. R.I.P. Mr. Pollard.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oscar Nominated ‘House of 1000 Corpses’ Actor Michael J. Pollard

We oldsters will always associate him with the Star Trek TOS episode "Miri" with Kim Darby and grups.  Bonk bonk!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Oh no!  I thought of him the other day while watching a show about the real Bonnie and Clyde. R.I.P. Mr. Pollard.

I was thinking about him Monday watching the movie Bonnie and Clyde! I remembered having a crush on him the first time I saw B&C. May he rest.

• Love 4