Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah that’s what I thought of when she kept mentioning luxury, space and domestic help.

Dubai is objectionable in so many ways but I’m sure she feels some national pride.

But she seemed willing to adapt.  Husband mentioned that they were doing the menial tasks and she said she cooked and cleaned a lot — she said she was done with her diva days.

Moving to London meant she had to do all the work around the house but maybe more time spent with her daughter.  Otherwise it might be difficult to go from having a career to being  stay at home wife.

• Love 4

I loved the garden of the house they chose. Actually I liked all three houses. I liked the couple, too. The dining table thing seemed excessive. but that may have been more important to the scriptwriters than the couple. There’s always some quirk that has to be accommodated in these shows.

Edited by SillyServal
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

In Dubai we had this, we had that. My heart is breaking for her that she now has to clean her own house, do her own laundry, and her own driving.

Oh, was she from Dubai? I didn't catch that.

I wonder if being an HR professional means that he's a head hunter. 

• LOL 11

The Dubai wife got on my last nerve. On and on about a garden view from the kitchen window and then she gives it up? Seems like it was probably a producers plot point.  But the thing that grated on me was throwing out the third option because “it doesn’t meet our standards” in terms of style.  I really didn’t see anything wrong with that house.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, javajeanelaine said:

The Dubai wife got on my last nerve. On and on about a garden view from the kitchen window and then she gives it up? Seems like it was probably a producers plot point.  But the thing that grated on me was throwing out the third option because “it doesn’t meet our standards” in terms of style.  I really didn’t see anything wrong with that house.

I think she was going from having domestic help in Dubai to signing up to do all the domestic work by herself, even though the husband was going to be working from home.

So maybe she thought the only way she can watch her daughter while working in the kitchen was to be able to see her daughter from the kitchen at all times.

That makes sense if the kitchen overlooked the backyard where she could have put the daughter.  But the one house had the option of a room adjacent to the kitchen so they made that into a playroom.

She admitted she hadn't though about her daughter having be spend a lot of time inside because of rain.  So the playroom next to the kitchen worked out.

• Love 2

Costa Rica. Not crazy about the house hunter and didn't care which condo she picked. I don’t think being on the second floor will save her from a tsunami. But I was charmed by realtor Sarah. She seemed very practical with a trace of snark.

• Love 9

Sarah has done a few episodes.  I don’t recall anyone else in Costa Rica.

Most of the CR episodes seem to be in oceanside towns.  If there are big cities down there they haven’t shown them.

All of the places were meh but she chose a location in town instead of some isolated place.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, aghst said:

Sarah has done a few episodes.  I don’t recall anyone else in Costa Rica.

Most of the CR episodes seem to be in oceanside towns.  If there are big cities down there they haven’t shown them.

All of the places were meh but she chose a location in town instead of some isolated place.

It seemed to me she was pretty uncertain about staying there longterm, so why not just rent for a while and keep an eye on the market.  But she's already found the love of her life, so maybe if he wants to move into that place with her it will work.

• Love 2

Costa Rica

Well, I like Melissa's spirit. And I like that she never mentioned Texas or made comments on a small 'fridge. She even remarked the stove was large. She's been around.

There was no talk about an ex-pat community, she spoke some Spanish. I didn't like that we got no feel for the community, though.

I found myself wanting to know where Sarah lived and how she found her way to CR.

• Love 7
On 2/8/2022 at 11:03 PM, Grizzly said:

London. This woman knows it rains a lot in London and her daughter won't want to play outside? That bugs me more than the dining table. I understand the table is a connection/reminder of her homeland. Does Dubai have any old buildings? In the end, I did like this couple. They didn't fight, they didn't stress our Richard too much. And their little girl is adorable.

They didn't fight but I still hated them both.  They seemed so freaking entitled, going on about things weren't up to their standards and were better in Dubai.  Then go back to Dubai, assholes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 2/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, javajeanelaine said:

because “it doesn’t meet our standards” in terms of style.  I really didn’t see anything wrong with that house.

I actually got her point…the tile in the shower was kind of gross, and the Formica counters in the kitchen too.  

• Love 1

From what I've read, the HHI fudge a lot of details, and such as how long the person actually has lived in the country.   

So, I bet that Melissa's house hunt was after she moved to CR, and the boyfriend wasn't that new, but they made a cute couple.    I'm betting the expat areas are pretty concentrated.   So the fact that she wasn't in the biggest city, and she was learning Spanish, and was looking to buy and not rent looked like she really plans to stay in CR.   I liked the place she bought.    The third one was just too small.   

• Love 5
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

From what I've read, the HHI fudge a lot of details, and such as how long the person actually has lived in the country.   

So, I bet that Melissa's house hunt was after she moved to CR, and the boyfriend wasn't that new, but they made a cute couple.    I'm betting the expat areas are pretty concentrated.   So the fact that she wasn't in the biggest city, and she was learning Spanish, and was looking to buy and not rent looked like she really plans to stay in CR.   I liked the place she bought.    The third one was just too small.   

It was good for the budget but I wished she'd chosen the 2 bedroom choice, although it was 12K over budget and not as close to town. The kitchen actually was a full size and it was so much larger than the other 2 choices. I'm wondering what type of town Guanacaste I'd and why is real estate so cheap there. 

• Love 2
On 2/11/2022 at 9:19 PM, MartyQui said:

I actually got her point…the tile in the shower was kind of gross, and the Formica counters in the kitchen too.  

I didn't think either was gross.  A bit dated, yes, but not gross.  Absolutely nothing wrong with formica.

• Love 2
On 2/11/2022 at 9:19 PM, MartyQui said:

They were not colors I would choose but I didn't think they were gross.  There were no close ups of mold or damage so I think it was more the age and difference in decorating tastes than "grossness".

• Love 3

Jersey dude in Costa Rica. Didn't expect to see Sarah again so soon. She's right, I'll be attending the retreat by the beach. But he didn't really talk about his plans for the retreat at the end. Just talked about food. Who's hungry?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Jersey dude in Costa Rica. Didn't expect to see Sarah again so soon. She's right, I'll be attending the retreat by the beach. But he didn't really talk about his plans for the retreat at the end. Just talked about food. Who's hungry?

It was nice seeing Sarah again. I agree about being near the beach. It must be very humid so being able to just walk to the beach would be great.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Costa Rica episode.  How does this drifter with too many tattoos and limited intellect  have money to buy this?   

He came across as a pleasant guy but more than a bit of a cosmic bliss-nick. Running a retreat may sound good but it is a business and even he noted there were plenty of spas and retreats already in the area. He ran a small gym in Jersey but I have a feeling he's way too laid back for running a viable food-oriented retreat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Costa Rica episode.  How does this drifter with too many tattoos and limited intellect  have money to buy this?   

5 hours ago, Kenzie said:

He came across as a pleasant guy but more than a bit of a cosmic bliss-nick. Running a retreat may sound good but it is a business and even he noted there were plenty of spas and retreats already in the area. He ran a small gym in Jersey but I have a feeling he's way too laid back for running a viable food-oriented retreat.

Presumably if he's betting his life savings into moving, he's researched some things.

I'm not sure of the appeal of a wellness retreat with food forest would be for tourists.  You get fresh fruit and whatever produce he can grow plus a couple of yoga sessions?  I don't see anyone going there to train heavily.  Most people would be happy with an Airbnb and they can try the local restaurants.

Is he counting on the income from the business?  Because all the homes were 2 bedrooms so he could host at most a couple at a time?

But his priority seemed to be growing crops, so maybe he plans to sell them rather than having a little B&B or Airbnb thing.

He may have a lot of money from selling his home so it's  way to stretch his money and maybe he thinks he wants to work the land for awhile, do something different.  So it's Green Acres without the demanding wife.

• Love 5

NJ to Costa Rica

I didn't understand the guy's business plan. He will rent out one room and grow fruits and somehow make money?

The proximity to the beach was terrific, though.

I'm usually pretty neutral about the agents on this show, but somehow, Sarah stands out. I also like the Aussie dude who always looks like he's the verge of saying, "Are you f___in' kidding me?!" 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Sarah's good, if not ultimately a bit familiar. Unless she's dating Crop Boy?

But his priority seemed to be growing crops, so maybe he plans to sell them rather than having a little B&B or Airbnb thing.

Good call. Maybe he's planning on being the organic farmer in the area? A real spa guy would have been by the beach, assuming he wanted to attract paying customers, not would-be farmers. Costa Rica isn't Tuscany and his joint is no agriturismo.

• Love 2

Seems like if it's a couple, they have a convo going over their choices.

But if it's a single House Hunter, the agent goes over the choices with him/her.  Guess it's a TV thing, they wanted to show a dialog during the supposed decision-making.

I scan through the domestic HH quickly and you seem to have more of the agents in the convos about which house to pick, even with couples.  Seems like more often, the agents in regular HH are "friends" of the house hunter so maybe more likely to have actors playing agents?

They didn't even say "3 months later" it was him mowing a small patch of grass with a small push lawn mower and he was also swinging a machete to cut not even much brush.

Is he really going to farm crops or that was for the camera?

Maybe he plans to grow marijuana or cocoa leaves.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

If the dude really is going to be growing crops, I imagine he'd have a lot of competition from farmers, plus those who are also growing organic crops.   He might already have enough money to chill, and maybe he'll make some side money doing something else.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojito said:

I didn't understand the guy's business plan. He will rent out one room and grow fruits and somehow make money?

And it's not like this will be a quick process.  There is a LOT of time work that needs to be done  beginning with prep and ending with selling;  he won't be making money anytime soon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

I scan through the domestic HH quickly and you seem to have more of the agents in the convos about which house to pick, even with couples.  Seems like more often, the agents in regular HH are "friends" of the house hunter so maybe more likely to have actors playing agents?

In the regular HH, they normally give the first and last name of the real estate agent. Every time I have checked, they are actual working real estate agents. HHI is a whole other story.

• Love 1

Sarah (Breitlander) is a real agent working with an agency in Costa Rica. I just stumbled upon that as I was looking for a pic of the Aussie dude with that expression of disbelief he frequently wears.

Found him. Lucas Wilson. 

wilson.png

Edited by mojito
  • LOL 8

Berkshire, England. It almost sounds like Richard is pronouncing it "Barkshire". I wonder which is proper. $1200 gets you a studio, what does it get you in Portland? If she wants a bigger place, she's just going to have to get a job and they can move.

• Love 2

I'm watching an episode in Berkshire, England right now and one thing I've noticed on HHI episodes is they spend a lot of time on couples discussing "how we met."  The couples talk about that after every commercial break and it's annoying.   On the HH episodes they talk about their relationship in the beginning and that's pretty much it.  

Back to Berkshire:  The wife's voice sounded like a five year old's so I was too annoyed to even see which place they chose.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

They got the two bed/tub they/he wanted but on the top two floors of a three-flat. Sob, not a charming cottage. And can you believe it? They had to walk down a flight of stairs and all the way to the back to get to the large garden! Nice seeing Richard, though. The alternate choices were hilariously off.

• Love 8

"Barksure".  Lived there, and Oxfordshire for five years in the 1970's.    Smaller attached cottage than they were shown.  But, we only paid 15 pounds week.  He got her a pretty nice place.  Bravo Richard.

• Love 4

Berkshire Husband’s sister and wife looked a lot alike.

They chose to live in England because he had a job and she didn’t?

Maybe there just wasn’t enough to show them doing things in that town other than the brief scene of them buying a house plant?  Otherwise they did delve a lot into their relationship.

Richard said the place was in the commute zone to London but the house hunters didn’t seem to care.  He has family there but she’s okay with small town life?

4 hours ago, aghst said:

Berkshire Husband’s sister and wife looked a lot alike.

They chose to live in England because he had a job and she didn’t?

Maybe there just wasn’t enough to show them doing things in that town other than the brief scene of them buying a house plant?  Otherwise they did delve a lot into their relationship.

Richard said the place was in the commute zone to London but the house hunters didn’t seem to care.  He has family there but she’s okay with small town life?

Pretty certain it's bigger than a village, the homes look newish and packed in.

I believe near Newbury Race course.

11 hours ago, Pine said:
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Berkshire, England. It almost sounds like Richard is pronouncing it "Barkshire". I wonder which is proper.

"Barksure". 

I assumed it was correct because I watch Top Gear, and notice lots of pronunciations like this; I think the first one was "Derbyshire," which comes out Darbyshure.

Whenever I'm in a new place, I watch the local TV news, and especially the weather, to find out how place names are pronounced.

15 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I've noticed on HHI episodes is they spend a lot of time on couples discussing "how we met." 

I've wondered if that's because the places not in the U.S. can be a lot smaller, so there's not as much to show, and they need content.  Whatever...I don't like it.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 4

Stuttgart. Oh boo. Markus is fine to look at but he doesn't have Kevin's personality. Ok, he didn't have any personality. Thank goodness the wife doesn't want German charm along with the American space. Wow, they picked the apartment. And she didn't say how dangerous the spiral stairs would be for the kids.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Oh boo. Markus is fine to look at but he doesn't have Kevin's personality. Ok, he didn't have any personalit

You took the words right out of my mouth! What a stiff!

My recorded episode cut off before the reveal.  I see they chose the apartment.  The husband confused me because property #1 was too far of a commute at 30 minutes, but a 20 minute commute for #2 was perfect. I'd have spent the extra $200 to have a yard for 4 young children.

I'm watching Brisbane to London episode now. Hello Richard! He's got his hands full with this unrealistic couple with a $2000 budget who just HAVE to live in Kensington. A studio is pretty tight quarters for a couple, imo.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 1

Young couple with 4 kids.

She was saying they were talking about all the international travel they’d do once they were empty nesters.  Their youngest seemed only a couple of years old.

They’re home schooling in a foreign country so no German for the kids.  Or friends.  They’d have to go to at least a bilingual or international school, which doesn’t appear to be in the budget.

Looks like budget and commute made their choice.  

Agent struggles with English.  Could swear he said 3 bathrooms and 2 bathrooms instead of 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Stuttgart. Oh boo. Markus is fine to look at but he doesn't have Kevin's personality. Ok, he didn't have any personality. Thank goodness the wife doesn't want German charm along with the American space. Wow, they picked the apartment. And she didn't say how dangerous the spiral stairs would be for the kids.

and I was thinking they shouldn't have even considered the one with the pool with no fencing around it with 4 young children

• Love 2
5 hours ago, aghst said:

Agent struggles with English.  Could swear he said 3 bathrooms and 2 bathrooms instead of 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms

Yes, it sounded as if he said bathroom instead of bedroom at first, but the next few times I listened closely and he did indeed say bedroom, but his accent was very thick.

Still, I give kudos to all whose native tongue is not English and yet, are fairly proficient in English. As Americans (U.S.), foreign language proficiency is sorely lacking.

• Love 10

This episode made me sad as there was no joy between the couple.  It really seemed like they didn't even like each other.  They talked about how adventurous they were and they really weren't adventurous at all.  So, Twenty Nine Palms-my nephew was based there (Marines) and I have to wonder just how modern and spacious their base housing really was (I have been to Twenty Nine Palms, and really, there aren't even 29 palm trees there...).  And, if your housing allowance isn't enough to get what you want, maybe limit the number of children you have (no, I don't hate children but so many house hunters are wah wah wah we need more bedrooms, huge yard, etc. on a tiny budget).

• Love 12
3 hours ago, tinderbox said:

My DVR didn’t record the entire episode.  Did they end up with the apartment or the house that was $200 over budget?  Thank you.

My DVR routinely does this, so last night I finally edited my scheduled recordings to end 5 minutes after a show ends. 

What's funny, though, is that if HH and HHI are back to back, I get to see the cut-off minutes from HH tagged onto the beginning of HHI.