Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E26: She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

• Start Topic

(edited)

I call Steve as the MVP as being the only one of the gang (until Val like three seasons from now) pointing out the odiousness of how Dylan and Kelly got together while Brenda was away, and for calling Dylan and Kelly "gloomiest couple" in the senior poll. Hilarious. Hooray for Steve.

Also on Steve: "everybody's got a girl but him?" Fuck off Brandon, Steve has Celeste, who picked him over you, and if memory serves he squires this beautiful lady to the prom next week when you plan to spend the evening sulking alone at the Peach Pit until Andrea bails you out. You squeef!

I do remember thinking the uvula swinging was incredibly charming. Probably the last time I found Dylan charming in any way, actually.

Edited by Tooch
  • Love 3

So wait, which is worse: when 90210 is incredibly self-serious or when it tries to go goofy? Seems like there's no middle ground, and each fails in its own way.

Also, I didn't watch this when it originally aired so maybe someone can contextualize for me. This show does a lot of grifting subplots, but also just low level crime in general - gambling, mugging, etc. Was this an effort to make the show seem more "Big City" for midwestern audiences? Making sure this doesn't get mistaken for another teen show by showing how Grown-Up and Dangerous Beverly Hills can be? For a while there I thought that the culture clash element was abandoned partway into season one, but now that I think of it the subtext of a lot of these storylines could still plausibly be "only in California, because we're very edgy". Was that still part of the show's premise at this point, or am I giving this show more conceptual unity than it deserves?

So wait, which is worse: when 90210 is incredibly self-serious or when it tries to go goofy? Seems like there's no middle ground, and each fails in its own way.

Also, I didn't watch this when it originally aired so maybe someone can contextualize for me. This show does a lot of grifting subplots, but also just low level crime in general - gambling, mugging, etc. Was this an effort to make the show seem more "Big City" for midwestern audiences? Making sure this doesn't get mistaken for another teen show by showing how Grown-Up and Dangerous Beverly Hills can be? For a while there I thought that the culture clash element was abandoned partway into season one, but now that I think of it the subtext of a lot of these storylines could still plausibly be "only in California, because we're very edgy". Was that still part of the show's premise at this point, or am I giving this show more conceptual unity than it deserves?

I think it's just because it's a soap, where stuff that doesn't happen in everyday life for 99.9% of people seems to happen all.the.time. Even in these early years, these kids were subject to way more petty-to-major crime than most people would ever even hear about. There were the skanks who stole Steve's car, Brenda's Peach Pit holdup, Brenda getting nearly scammed by the traffic accident lady, Jack getting blowed up, Andrea getting hit-and-runned, the big break-in at the beach club, the school computer hacking/blackmail, and then the "hilarious" petty crime of this episode! And that's probably not even everything, and that's all before they graduate high school. Hilarious. 

It gets less amusing and more annoying as the years go on, what with all the stalking, attempted rape, actual rape, wife murder, kidnapping, drive-by shootings, and various other traumas, mostly happening to Saint Kelly. 

(edited)

I call Steve as the MVP as being the only one of the gang (until Val like three seasons from now) pointing out the odiousness of how Dylan and Kelly got together while Brenda was away, and for calling Dylan and Kelly "gloomiest couple" in the senior poll. Hilarious. Hooray for Steve.

Also on Steve: "everybody's got a girl but him?" Fuck off Brandon, Steve has Celeste, who picked him over you, and if memory serves he squires this beautiful lady to the prom next week when you plan to spend the evening sulking alone at the Peach Pit until Andrea bails you out. You squeef!

I do remember thinking the uvula swinging was incredibly charming. Probably the last time I found Dylan charming in any way, actually.

Oh yes, I agree. Steve for MVP for calling Dylan out on his shit. And for actually commenting on the whole Brenda-Kelly-Dylan-triangle.

BTW did we see Brenda and Kelly making up (apart from the diet pills thing in the hospital)? Are they just friends again now?

Edited by Nanna
  • Love 2

BTW did we see Brenda and Kelly making up (apart from the diet pills thing in the hospital)? Are they just friends again now?

We are supposed to assume that after the diet pills incident Brenda decided to get over it because she loves Kelly despite everything. It's oddly believeable to me that finding your estranged friend unresponsive on the bathroom floor would put things into perspective for someone, but I still wish they'd taken longer with Brenda and showed more of people siding with her in any way (like maybe one conversation where Brandon gets pissed at Dylan for completely betraying his twin sister?). 

• Love 3

I do not remember this episode at all. It's probably for the best.

Me neither. It's terrible. 

Before looking at the visual aids, I was picturing Ginger as Christine, the gold-digger that Steve went out with a billion years (one and a half seasons) ago. They're styled differently, but there's something similar about the face, and of course Steve went to the 'Samantha Sanders is my mother' well again, so I maintain that my confusion is justified. 

And yes - Steve for MVP. Probably of this entire season, this and the ridiculous legacy key thing notwithstanding. Everyone else has been so awful. The only other contender would be - and I hate to say it - Donna? The "stuff" has been awful but she's been surprising a few times. Although the next couple of episodes may change my thoughts on that. This season is too long and really very boring. 

The only other contender would be - and I hate to say it - Donna? The "stuff" has been awful but she's been surprising a few times. Although the next couple of episodes may change my thoughts on that.

I am salivating to get to the Donna Martin Graduates episodes! But imo, Donna isn't the worst part of either of those episodes. Brandon's smug bullshit snide-o-rama towards every authority figure in the world after his friend is justifiably punished for breaking the rules and getting shit-faced is definitely the worst. Donna is a bad drunk but you could argue that she didn't intend to get drunk, it was an accident because she hadn't eaten and wasn't expecting the bubbly to hit her like a ton of bricks. Oh, Brandon...I can't wait for Sarah's ranting about how nonstop fucking awful you are in that episode! 

• Love 1

When I was listening to this -- as you were describing Steve & Dylan's antics dressed as "mouth bacteria", I don't know, I thought you were kidding. How could I have doubted you. And ... how ... did anyone think this was a good idea.

Great podcast. This episode made me realize how much I've turned against Dylan since I was Team Steve for most of it, even when he was in the wrong.

Do schools really sell tickets to ditch day? At my school they were like, "we are aware you're going to ditch but we can't endorse it." Class was still held.

Do schools really sell tickets to ditch day? At my school they were like, "we are aware you're going to ditch but we can't endorse it." Class was still held.

Maybe they sold tickets so they could get a great group discount?  Yeah, that's all I've got. 

My senior year we didn't have a traditional Ditch Day.  We had a tailgate party on the front lawn.   It was mere days before finals so the only people who went to class were the ones who didn't have higher than a B in said class (students with such a grade were exempt from the final).  We brought enough food to share with the teachers and lower class friends who stopped by.  At the end of the day there was a big whipped cream fight with the juniors that lasted about thirty minutes and then we all went home.  Previous classes had traditional Ditch Days and the school knew but didn't explicitly endorse it (though assignments mysteriously didn't get handed out for the chosen day).  My class just didn't really care by the time it was our turn.  We were all wiped from AP tests, college prep, graduation rehearsals and school in general.  Buying food for tailgating was the most we were willing to do.

This is one of those episodes that I watched at the time and really enjoyed.  I was also a little kid.  Watching now I find things I still enjoy, like Steve, but it's mostly just dull.  I didn't think Priestly's direction was bad but he really had nothing to work with either so it's not a shining moment on his resume. 

So, on the podcast feed in iTunes this episode is listed as Season 3 Episode 25, but on the boards here it's episode 26--Just an FYI! I'm not sure which one is supposed to be correct but thought I'd mention it.

Tara's yell "THE EEEEEEND!" cracked me up. So much pain in that yell!

This episode is so, so weird. It's only tangentially attached to any plot line going on in the series and has a tone that is completely different from anything else. As I said in the previous episode thread, it always felt like an improv exercise gone horribly wrong. Finding out that this was the first episode JP directed makes a little more sense. A young inexperienced director explains some of it, but where on God's green earth did that script come from? And why? Did they have to trash an episode at the last minute and needed to cobble together something on the fly? Was it a script made up of ideas cut from other scripts? I really don't get how this happened.

The script was really so bad. It was just a filler episode.

Jason did direct some decent episodes looking at the episode list. He did the Vegas episode, The Finley episode, The Kelly coke stuff and he did Donna Martin loses her virginity.

Tori Spelling direct an episode? Woah.

So, on the podcast feed in iTunes this episode is listed as Season 3 Episode 25, but on the boards here it's episode 26--Just an FYI! I'm not sure which one is supposed to be correct but thought I'd mention it.

26 is correct; I let Dave know to fix it for iTunes.

• Love 1