Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Do we know when Farah Fath is supposed to show up?  I need time to prepare my body and soul to see her on my screen again.

I'm stocking up on holy water.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Do we know when Farah Fath is supposed to show up?  I need time to prepare my body and soul to see her on my screen again.

Late September or October. She is only in a handful of episodes and then leaves, thankfully. 

Edited by betweenthelines
  • Love 2

Please PLEASE let Ron skip a winky joke if Farah Fath interacts with a character named Rex.

Oh honey, we all know that's going to happen. It's Ron.

The problem with Billy's Chad is that they never really let him be 'dark". They teased it, but they never actually went there.

That would probably explain why Kate Mansi's stay is only temp. Thank god. I didn't have the hate that some people here had for her, but I am really sick of this show revolving everything around Chabby.

And yeah, Billy never really felt like a lifer soap actor. I hope he goes back to accounting or something. He really seems to have a hard time with interacting with fans on his social media.

On 8/8/2018 at 3:46 PM, DisneyBoy said:

According to a rumor I read, Jack kept getting written off the show because Ashford had an ongoing struggle with alcoholism that made it difficult to keep him on-contract.

That makes so much sense. Matthew's been doing a lot of work with his online soap series so maybe he's doing better?

I can't see Ron having much use for Jack, though. He's not a dark-haired young piece of mancandy with vacant eyes and six-pack abs.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Oh honey, we all know that's going to happen. It's Ron.

And usually I don't mind a winky joke, but again, the Farah Fath/Gigi/JPL/Rex PTSD is still strong, even though I did just watch a scene from OLTL where she was okay and looked cute because, natch, it was one she shared with Scott Clifton.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

And usually I don't mind a winky joke, but again, the Farah Fath/Gigi/JPL/Rex PTSD is still strong, even though I did just watch a scene from OLTL where she was okay and looked cute because, natch, it was one she shared with Scott Clifton.

Scott Clifton was the best part of that whole storyline.

• Love 4
On 8/8/2018 at 2:18 PM, Chick2Chic said:

I’m cool with this. I hope they don’t recast. He’s Chad to me even though he didn’t originate the role. He’s not very good at dissembling when he thinks the writing is shit. That probably makes for a tense work environment. 

I do hope they reunite his character with Abby. I’m lucky in that I find them rootable ‘cause the writing usually tilts towards their coupledom. 

• Love 3

They should have just cast him as Phillip instead of a worthless character like Rex, who I deny ever existed because him and Cassie fucking ruined my Last Chance Blast class of '02 teen scene with their weird-ass faux-alien storyline.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Why didn’t Carrie actor want to come back ?

The actress and her family were travelling around the world when filming for this story took place. I am sure that she would have been there otherwise.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, methodwriter85 said:

They should have just cast him [Kyle Lowder] as Phillip instead of a worthless character like Rex

I actually think it's kinda smart to give him a character who still (by weird faux-alien thing I don't understand) is connected to characters, but isn't weighed down by so much backstory and history.

Also, we still need time to scrubs our minds of JPL and his hideous hair. *shuuuder*

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, nilyank said:

The actress and her family were travelling around the world when filming for this story took place. I am sure that she would have been there otherwise.

She will be relocating to England with her whole family soon.. So, we might not see Carrie ever again.. She did say that she is open to coming back, when her schedule permits it..

• Love 1

I actually think it's kinda smart to give him a character who still (by weird faux-alien thing I don't understand) is connected to characters, but isn't weighed down by so much backstory and history.

Also, we still need time to scrubs our minds of JPL and his hideous hair. *shuuuder*

The "alien" thing was just a cover Stefano used to introduce them into society. Just a way to mask keeping them captive. 

I actually really like Rex as a character. I adored his relationship with Kate and we never really got to see him build one with Roman. I'm actually looking forward to Kyle's interpretation of Rex. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

There's just so much about JPL that's hideous.  My mind can never be scrubbed enough.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

The "alien" thing was just a cover Stefano used to introduce them into society. Just a way to mask keeping them captive. 

Yeah, I know. I'm still content to pretend that whole storyline never happened.

Eric Winter still looks pretty damn good, by the way. He seems to have developed a pretty solid "hey, it's that's pretty guy" career on t.v. Of course, his most high-profile role is still the dreamy doctor on The Ugly Truth that the lead realizes she isn't in love with.

• Love 4

I don't know why Ron is bringing another retcon kid like Rex, when he could be bringing back Stefanie for Kayla and the rest of the Bradys.  It is obvious that Ron does not care about Stayla and their brood.  I am not looking forward to Kayla once again being treated like crap with Steve being gone..

• Love 5
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, I know. I'm still content to pretend that whole storyline never happened.

Eric Winter still looks pretty damn good, by the way. He seems to have developed a pretty solid "hey, it's that's pretty guy" career on t.v. Of course, his most high-profile role is still the dreamy doctor on The Ugly Truth that the lead realizes she isn't in love with.

Anyone know why they wouldn't bring back Eric Winter?

13 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I don't know why Ron is bringing another retcon kid like Rex, when he could be bringing back Stefanie for Kayla and the rest of the Bradys.

Because Kyle Lowder couldn't play Stephanie?  Unless Stephanie had gone through some major life changes off-screen.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Because Kyle Lowder couldn't play Stephanie?  Unless Stephanie had gone through some major life changes off-screen.

Stefanie should be on the show. Kayla needs one of her kids on the show.  The show refuses to write for Kayla without Steve. She will be in limbo once again. Marybeth Evans brings an earnestness, depth and authenticity to Kayla that I have always loved.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Stefanie should be on the show. Kayla needs one of her kids on the show.  The show refuses to write for Kayla without Steve. She will be in limbo once again. Marybeth Evans brings an earnestness, depth and authenticity to Kayla that I have always loved.. 

Yes, yes YES!  It's ridiculous that Show hasn't even bothered to mention Stephanie with all Kayla and Steve and Joey have been through these past few years, much less have her back in Salem.  MBE, with her talent and Kayla's history shouldn't be relegated to some supporting character.

Edited by boes
  • Love 9

So, I haven't been on this site since. . .gosh, well right after TWoP died. I kinda forgot I had an account!  Anyway. . .I know that Matthew Ashford is coming back and has already started filming. Do we have any idea if he is going to be Jack or someone who looks like Jack. If the former, how did he survive the elevator crash?  Any guesses?

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, prodigalchicken said:

So, I haven't been on this site since. . .gosh, well right after TWoP died. I kinda forgot I had an account!  Anyway. . .I know that Matthew Ashford is coming back and has already started filming. Do we have any idea if he is going to be Jack or someone who looks like Jack. If the former, how did he survive the elevator crash?  Any guesses?

Pretty sure (although it has not explicitly been said) it's Jack.  :-)  As for how he survived? Well, it's Salem! Does anyone really stay dead?!

• Love 5
Just now, WendyCR72 said:

Pretty sure (although it has not explicitly been said) it's Jack.  :-)  As for how he survived? Well, it's Salem! Does anyone really stay dead?!

Ha, true enough. I will never forget when Jack was bricked on the head and then woke up in some alternate Salem along with most of the rest of the "dead" cast. That was a wild time that never made any sense at all. Like AT ALL.

• Love 5

Well considering his other deaths, especially the one where Jennifer donated his organs.  Jack dying from an elevator crash, where we never saw a body and, had Roman deliver the news, I think this "death" is the most plausible.

• Love 4

I am just over the moon that Jack Harcourt Devereaux a.k.a William Earl Johnson will soon be on the show.  I cannot wait for him to meet his grandchildren.  

My only gripe is that Steve and Jack will not be together.  What a waste of storyline potential.  I do wish that Stephen Nichols would exercise good judgment and refrain from badmouthing the show.  His tweets do not help his cause at all.  

I heard that Jack will have lots of scene with Eve, Kayla and Jennifer of course. I am intrigue by the Jack/Kayla scenes. Marybeth and Matthew always bring it in their scenes together. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9

Considering Kassie-as-Eve debuted on the show as a woman trying to squeeze money out of Jack's book, I'm curious to see what he is like in his scenes with her. You guys kept saying that they retconned Jennifer and Eve's history a bit to make them rivals for the sake of drama. I wonder how much further that will go once Jack is back in the mix.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Tasha Brand said:

While they do indeed bring it whenever Jack and Kayla interact, I still don't get why they purposely choose to play awkwardness between them.  yes, Jack raped Kayla, and yes, it was a terrible thing, and yes, I know that the scars of a rape never fully go away (my own mother was a victim of just such a thing in college, and she never fully forgets it), but it was over thirty years ago.  Jack was in a very, very, very bad place, and Kayla knew that.  And he more than did his best to try and change from those days and redeem himself, and she knows that.  So while I do get why they play the awkwardness between them, I don't get why it's to that degree, because Jack is clearly not that man anymore.  And, again, Kayla clearly knows that.  Had he been remorseless about it, absolutely.  But he clearly was and still is the opposite of that.

I agree Jack changed and the rape was long ago, but the fact is, Jack did do a heinous thing, and I imagine that never really goes away. I know Kayla knows the circumstances are different now, but I think it is meant to show while one can live their life post sexual assault, it can and does forever change a person, too.

I admire both Ashford and Evans for playing that undercurrent as I had read some prior writing teams never put it in the pages. Wouldn't be surprised if some weren't familiar with Jack's dark history since Reilly and others had taken to writing him as a clown.

• Love 7

I never really liked what little I saw of the Jack character so I'm actually a little bothered that he's coming back. I think the show did a really good job - in some respects - of showing his family move on after he died. They took a lot of time to explore JJ learning his father had raped Kayla and him resenting his mother's new suitors, and Jennifer has certainly been hesitant to get involved with men. She's only had two serious relationships since her husband's death. They used him rather poignantly during flashbacks and dreams. To me, if the character had to be gone this was the best way to write it.

I kind of feel like bringing him back is less about doing great things with the narrative as it is pleasing viewers who are fans of his. I would have let sleeping dogs lie.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I never really liked what little I saw of the Jack character so I'm actually a little bothered that he's coming back. I think the show did a really good job - in some respects - of showing his family move on after he died. They took a lot of time to explore JJ learning his father had raped Kayla and him resenting his mother's new suitors, and Jennifer has certainly been hesitant to get involved with men. She's only had two serious relationships since her husband's death. They used him rather poignantly during flashbacks and dreams. To me, if the character had to be gone this was the best way to write it.

I kind of feel like bringing him back is less about doing great things with the narrative as it is pleasing viewers who are fans of his. I would have let sleeping dogs lie.

If the show could bring back Kristen and Susan after their respective stories were done in the 90's. Susan got her happily ever after with her baby Elvis and Kristen got her comeuppance.  We need less Dimeras and more Hortons and Bradys, in my opinion..

Jack should be brought back. Jack should have never been killed off.. Jack is a complex character and subpar writers had no use for him because he does not fall into a hero box or a villain box, he is an anti-hero.   JER made him into a bland hero that did not comport with his history and Langan made him a buffoon and tried to whitewash his past.  I think that Ron could write for Jack with Sherry there to guide him about Jack's complex history..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think I knew Jack raped Kayla. Maybe I did, but I don't remember. I remember loving Jack and Jack/Jennifer back in the day, but I don't remember any details about him/them lol.

Jack and Kayla were married at the time, too. But Jack knew Kayla loved Steve. I think this was before Jack knew he was Billy Johnson/Steve's brother, but Steve knew. He broke things off with Kayla because, if I recall, Jack's Hodgkin's was back and it was thought he was dying and Jack had an interest in Kayla, too. Ah, the '80s cheese.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Jack and Kayla were married at the time, too. But Jack knew Kayla loved Steve. I think this was before Jack knew he was Billy Johnson/Steve's brother, but Steve knew. He broke things off with Kayla because, if I recall, Jack's Hodgkin's was back and it was thought he was dying and Jack had an interest in Kayla, too. Ah, the '80s cheese.

Don't forget that Kayla refused to sleep with Jack  and consummate their marriage. She used his illness to stave off his sexual advances. Soon after Stayla began to have an affair.  Jack found out that Kayla and Steve were having an affair.  He pulled a gun on them and forced Kayla to go back home with him. Then, he raped her.  He mocked her and threatened her to keep quiet.  I think that he even set goons to beat Steve up. Jack was very bad.. 

Jack had met Kayla in Hawaii and liked her, but, Kayla had rebuffed him and he followed her to Salem hoping that he could win her over.  Jack thought that because he was rich, good looking and came from a prominent political family that Kayla would fall for him like every woman that he has met. Kayla was never impressed with that type of man.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Don't forget that Kayla refused to sleep with Jack  and consummate their marriage. She used his illness to stave off his sexual advances. Soon after Stayla began to have an affair.  Jack found out that Kayla and Steve were having an affair.  He pulled a gun on them and forced Kayla to go back home with him. Then, he raped her.  He mocked her and threatened her to keep quiet.  I think that he even set goons to beat Steve up. Jack was very bad.. 

Jack had met Kayla in Hawaii and liked her, but, Kayla had rebuffed him and he followed her to Salem hoping that he could win her over.  Jack thought that because he was rich, good looking and came from a prominent political family that Kayla would fall for him like every woman that he has met. Kayla was never impressed with that type of man.  

Well, damn! That's some shit lol.

• Love 3
On 9/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, Apprentice79 said:

It is why his redemption was so damn awesome..

Of call the redemption storylines in soap operas, I think Jack's might have been the best and most thorough. They didn't pretend the character did nothing wrong, they let the character feel the horrific guilt he should have felt, they let the character admit that he had actually done this terrible thing, and they let the character apologize to his victim while never, ever forgetting what he had done to her.  Kayla and Jack's awkwardness around each other feels natural to me. She does know that he is a different person from the man who committed that crime, but she also knows it still happened. And he recognizes that, too.  They will never, ever truly be friends. She has forgiven him, and he has mostly forgiven himself, but it's still a thing that happened. I like that the actors played it that way even if the writers forgot about that event.

• Love 11